Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
skylarblue
Cliff Diving with Embry

Re: Emmett Cullen

Post by skylarblue »

I was on another TW fansite, it's basically dedicated to the older generation and I was reading the post about Emmett's characters and a majority of them thought Emmett was basically immature.

Now, I'm wondering how that opinion of Emmett can be derived? I know that all the comments that he says can lead to someone thinking he is immature or unintelligent but after reading the series, how can you not think of Emmett as a caring, lovable, fun and highly intelligent person.

I was sorry and a little upset at how little information we were given about Emmett's background. I only learned alot when I read Emmett's story that was cut from the books on SM websites. I wonder why everyone else's stories were told in detail and Emmett's completely cut.

I think he's a very important person to the series besides the brawn and the jokes, he seems to really care for his family and those around him

Emmett (LOVE)
EDC Inc~New Trainee Supervisor~Team Emmett!
Team Kellan~Proud Klutzer!
MS Virgin & Randomness Irregular!
waiting tobe dazzled
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by waiting tobe dazzled »

I agree with skylarblue. I wish SM had been able to fit more of Emmett’s past into the books.
The only conclusion I can come to as to why Emmett’s story wasn’t really told in anything more than passing, is because he is the only one without the “deep dark transformation story”.
Alice was kept in a asylum and had no memory of her human life.
Rosalie was raped and beaten, then went on a killing spree.
Esme lost her child and then attempted to commit suicide.
Carlisle is the family patriarch along with the fact that he cultivated the vegetarian diet.
Jasper was involved in the vampire version of the Civil war.
And Edward’s story had to be told, that’s one of the perks of being a main character.
Emmett, although his life was most likely very colorful, his actual transformation story was not nearly as bright. Yes, being nearly mauled to death by a bear is very interesting but compared to the others, not so much.

As for the ridiculous idea that Emmett is immature and unintelligent, I really cannot tell where they derived that conclusion. Maybe I’m a little biased because I think Emmett is the greatest thing since chocolate but I agree with skylarblue, Emmett is extremely intelligent, caring and hilarious. I admire and love the fact that he is able to maintain the role as comedian and protector at the same time.
Field Supervisor of EDC, Inc.
Team Edward-Knight in Shining Volvo
Team Rosalie-Every Rose has it's thorn
Cotton Candy Revolutionists~Jell-O Wars of 09’
CantBreathe
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by CantBreathe »

skylarblue wrote:I was on another TW fansite, it's basically dedicated to the older generation and I was reading the post about Emmett's characters and a majority of them thought Emmett was basically immature.

Now, I'm wondering how that opinion of Emmett can be derived? I know that all the comments that he says can lead to someone thinking he is immature or unintelligent but after reading the series, how can you not think of Emmett as a caring, lovable, fun and highly intelligent person.

I was sorry and a little upset at how little information we were given about Emmett's background. I only learned alot when I read Emmett's story that was cut from the books on SM websites. I wonder why everyone else's stories were told in detail and Emmett's completely cut.

I think he's a very important person to the series besides the brawn and the jokes, he seems to really care for his family and those around him

Emmett (LOVE)
Maybe some people interpret a sense of humor, love of fighting, and carefree attitude as "immature"? I personally think it's refreshing (especially contrasting some of his more brooding family members) and endearing.
~Sisterhood of the Traveling Book~ I left my heart on the Gen Y thread... my Lexily!
cullensallovamybinda
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails
Location: Owning the candy store. Watching *drooling* over Emmetts BonBon's with Shannon!! :P yumm<3

Post by cullensallovamybinda »

leave it to th EDC to protect our emmett. emmett is a very deep person in all factuality he was brought up in a brood of many people(bad or good i dont know) and he must have had a colourful past because when he was burning he thought he was in the firey pits of hell, when he saw rose for the first time he though she was an angel. emmett is a caring, gentil, loveing person but when he was changed he was 20. young and a joker and kind of a jerk :D . but thats why allot of people love him he is the comic relif of the books and if you find that as immituity you are poorly mistaken.;)
love CAOMB :mrgreen:
FrontLoaderTrainee~EDC.INC lets break down some houses
The Red Jell-O Reinforcementsvs.Emmett's Undiesvs.The Cotton Candy Revolutionists Jell-O Wars of '09
KAT IS MY TWI TWIN
urcoolcarrie
Acquiring a Taste for Mountain Lion

Post by urcoolcarrie »

Ugh. that is one of my pet peeves. Emmett is not stupid. He is very intelligent, and considering that he keeps his funny side while being smart, it makes him that much better!!
HR Manager of EDC::Proud Klutzer::Midnight Sun Virgin
cullensallovamybinda
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails
Location: Owning the candy store. Watching *drooling* over Emmetts BonBon's with Shannon!! :P yumm<3

Post by cullensallovamybinda »

thank you carrie. i no my friends are like eww how can you like emmett he is stupid and i say have seen what he ahs been through, and ya i guy that has been through high school and collage how many times is STUPID!! ( sorry this subject hits a nerve) :evil:
love the not so pleased CAOMB :shock:
FrontLoaderTrainee~EDC.INC lets break down some houses
The Red Jell-O Reinforcementsvs.Emmett's Undiesvs.The Cotton Candy Revolutionists Jell-O Wars of '09
KAT IS MY TWI TWIN
Jazziscool
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Jazziscool »

skylarblue wrote:I was on another TW fansite, it's basically dedicated to the older generation and I was reading the post about Emmett's characters and a majority of them thought Emmett was basically immature.

Emmett (LOVE)
That's silly. In T it even says he has a 4.0 GPA.
Last edited by Jazziscool on Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trainee of the EDC, Inc.
Supervisor of the DBJ:Donating Blood to Jasper & Co.
Bronze Haired Girl
Human History Archivist
Location: Driving through the Tennessee mountains with Emmett

Post by Bronze Haired Girl »

:shock: :o :o :shock: I can't believe what I'm about to say. The thud you're about to hear is me and everyone else falling out of their chairs.

First off, let me say that I think Emmett is very smart. I've been defending him on that point for a long time. If you really want me to pull out my soapbox I will, but I think we all agree that he's intelligent so I'll put that point aside.

As someone of the "older generation" (I'm 38) I can see why some would view him as immature. *THUD* (Ok, is everyone back in their chairs now? Any injuries?) I consider immaturity and intelligence as two completely different things. I'm strictly talking about his maturity level here. Here's why I can understand the view: Compared to Edward, Jasper and Carlisle he is less mature. They all grew up during times in which they had responsiblities and were expected to be men, earn a living, find a wife and start a family. Even Edward at 17 was at that point. But Emmett grew up during a time and place where he could be a kid a little longer. He was the youngest of a large family. I don't think he was spoiled in the sense of getting everything he wanted - they were poor so I'm sure there was lots he had to do without - but he probably didn't have to take on as many responsiblities as his older siblings. He was 20 when he was changed and he's stuck at that developmental level. He acts like a 20 year old. Stephenie has said that they are frozen physically and mentally at whatever age they were when changed. I think many people make the mistake of either comparing him to Edward, Jasper and Carlisle or expecting him to have continued to mature over the many years he's been around. Both are mistakes. I personally don't think of him as immature because he acts the age at which he is frozen. I define immature as behaving as someone much younger would behave. (Ok, everyone breathe a sigh of relief now. :D ) He's not immature, but he is less mature than Edward, Jasper and Carlisle. There is a difference between the two.

(Anyone still on the floor? Have you fallen and can't get up? :lol: Do I need to call for help?)
Banner by urcoolcarrie
waiting tobe dazzled
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by waiting tobe dazzled »

Ouch! Thats gonna leave a mark *rubs backside*
So now that I am up and back in my chair and have re-read what BHG wrote I am beginning to see her point.
She is right about the difference in the times the guys were raised in.
And compared to the other Cullen men, Emmett does have a more carefree attitude about him, because it was allowed him by the the era he grew up in.
Also as BHG said the "older generation" might find his behavior a bit more immature than someone of my generation (18 yrs. old).
Me, personally, the fact that he has more of a "youthful" streak makes him all the more appealing :D
Field Supervisor of EDC, Inc.
Team Edward-Knight in Shining Volvo
Team Rosalie-Every Rose has it's thorn
Cotton Candy Revolutionists~Jell-O Wars of 09’
Stupidshinyvolvowner
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Stupidshinyvolvowner »

Why do you guys say that he lived in a different time than the rest of the Cullen guys? He was born in 1915, Edward was born in 1901 it was like Emmett was 20 years old in the 1970s or 80s. I like Emmett. I would love to know more about him. Maybe in the guide to the Twilight saga, we'll get more about him.