Leah Clearwater

Character Discussion Forum

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
vampirenerd
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye
Location: In my fantasy world with Edward...and Jacob (why not?)

Re: Leah Clearwater

Post by vampirenerd »

I have mixed opinions about Leah. It annoyed me to no end that she tormented the others by always thinking about her hurt/anger at/with Sam. She knew that the pack could read her mind while in wolf form and sometimes it seemed like she was doing it intentionally. I understand that she was upset about losing Sam but she knew about imprinting and understood that he couldn't help it.

On the other hand I did feel really sorry for her. It worked the other way to and she was stuck hearing Sam's thoughts about Emily. I know it must have hurt her to lose him even though she understood.

I think it was good for her that she got to join Jacob's pack even if they didn't fall in love. She got to get away from the thoughts in Sam's head. Personaly I think Leah is a very strong character. I like how she was able to hold on even through the grief and she didn't need a man to keep her going.
Total Twilight Fan
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Total Twilight Fan »

I still think it would have been a better ending with Leah+ Jake xx
::Team Jasper & Paul::
Sometimes life brings miracles, it brought me Twilight.
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

Someone on the Emily thread brought up Leah's pride issues. I never thought of that before.

But Leah has a weakness that is SO common. She's hurting, insecure, sad, angry, and too full of pride to say it, so she acts out in anger. In lots of people, that stems not only from pride but from not being sure if anyone will love them if they admit their real feelings, or that people won't help them and turn their backs. etc. This, I think, is Leah's problem.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
Angelvamp
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Angelvamp »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:Someone on the Emily thread brought up Leah's pride issues.
That was you, HOFJ! :D I agree, she's in so much pain that she acts out to try to hide it. I'm not sure it's out of insecurity, though. I think at first, she's just one of those people who are fiercely independant and fought hard to become that way and all of a sudden bam! it's taken away by some dumb gene. Then, after phasing she has a new understanding of imprinting and, in spite of her "impressive pedigree", the painful knowledge of Sam's inability to imprint on her. Being a "genetic dead end". That has to do a number on your confidence, whoa boy. But which is more painful for her, losing Sam or losing her independance?
"Life is pain...anyone who tells you different is selling something."
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Nuh uh you brought up the topic that made me bring it up!!

I don't know which hurt her more. I'm going to say losing Sam, and the realizations that followed that (i.e. she's a genetic dead end, feeling as if she's not "feminine enough") as opposed to simply belonging to the pack.

Angelvamp
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Angelvamp »

You bring up good points regarding losing Sam and all the resulting realizations, I think I can go along with that. But belonging (or perhaps a better word would be inducted?) to the pack is not as simple as it seems. Leah has lost some control over her own actions, by having to conform to the will of the Alpha. And her thoughts are no longer her own, which she resents along with all the other reasons, so she also takes that out on the rest of the pack as well. For such a strong woman, that would be pretty devistating.
"Life is pain...anyone who tells you different is selling something."
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Hmm yeah I didn't think of that!

Pendragon
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Pendragon »

Angelvamp wrote:You bring up good points regarding losing Sam and all the resulting realizations, I think I can go along with that. But belonging (or perhaps a better word would be inducted?) to the pack is not as simple as it seems. Leah has lost some control over her own actions, by having to conform to the will of the Alpha. And her thoughts are no longer her own, which she resents along with all the other reasons, so she also takes that out on the rest of the pack as well. For such a strong woman, that would be pretty devistating.
I agree as well that being in the pack has not been good for Leah. I couldn't even imagine being forced to have my thoughts shared with others and here theirs as well, let alone all of the thoughts of the opposite sex and my former lover, who broke my heart. I don't know how I would handle Leah's situation if I were in it.
'
Ishbel
Wandering Through Town

Post by Ishbel »

Angelvamp wrote:You bring up good points regarding losing Sam and all the resulting realizations, I think I can go along with that. But belonging (or perhaps a better word would be inducted?) to the pack is not as simple as it seems. Leah has lost some control over her own actions, by having to conform to the will of the Alpha. And her thoughts are no longer her own, which she resents along with all the other reasons, so she also takes that out on the rest of the pack as well. For such a strong woman, that would be pretty devistating.

I totally agree with you here especially as the Alpha is her ex who she still has strong feelings for - that would be pretty soul crushing I mean most people don't even keep in contact with their ex's let alone spend time with them/obey them/have to hear their every thought!
I felt really sympathetic towards Leah through out BD, I mean not many people would be able to cope with a situation like that so well so I believe her anger is completely understandable - it would be virtually impossible to act like everything was fine !
& I do kinda' wish that she had ended up with Jacob.
Team Seth
Pendragon
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Pendragon »

Ishbel wrote:

I totally agree with you here especially as the Alpha is her ex who she still has strong feelings for - that would be pretty soul crushing I mean most people don't even keep in contact with their ex's let alone spend time with them/obey them/have to hear their every thought!
I felt really sympathetic towards Leah through out BD, I mean not many people would be able to cope with a situation like that so well so I believe her anger is completely understandable - it would be virtually impossible to act like everything was fine !
& I do kinda' wish that she had ended up with Jacob.
I agree, there's no telling what I would have done if I were in her situation.