Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
amethyst
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Re: Bella Swan Cullen #2

Post by amethyst »

Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3 wrote:But everyone else had to go through newborn hardship(especially Jasper, poor Jasper) and Bella has it like a breeze in the wind? I mean I didn't mind that part so much, finally she was a vampire, but it was so...unfair.
You’re absolutely right--I couldn’t stand it when Jasper was very frustrated and said something along the lines of “I can’t understand. I can’t bear it” . . . he actually has to work so incredibly hard to be good at something that goes against his nature and it makes me sad that he feels weak in comparison to the other Cullens . . . Yet, Bella just doesn’t ever have to do anything. I really like her character (except in Eclipse and parts of BD) . . . I wish Stephenie took more time writing Breaking Dawn and extrapolated on new aspects (i.e. Bella as a vampire) of the book for the sake of the story instead of limiting the book to only 800 pages. I wouldn’t have minded if it were longer, or even if there was a book five.

Renesmee101 -- Haha, I have the same reactions sometimes. After all, I do kind of expect that kind of reaction (sometimes much milder, I have noticed) from someone who loves his character. ;)
"I never would have banished him from her society as long as she desired his. . . . . But, till then--if you don't believe me, you don't know me--till then, I would have died by inches before I touched a single hair of his head!"
Renesmee101
Helping Mike to Get a Clue
Location: on a stage infront of a sold out Madison Square Garden, mic in hand, singing my heart out.

Post by Renesmee101 »

amethyst wrote:Renesmee101 -- Haha, I have the same reactions sometimes. After all, I do kind of expect that kind of reaction (sometimes much milder, I have noticed) from someone who loves his character. ;)
Hahah. Yeahhh, I've noticed that some people get crazy defensive - or offensive - when it comes to him. But, most people on here are good about not taking differing opinions as personal attacks, which is what made it easier for me to decide to jump in. :D
Team Turtle: Thats how we roll
Skank Pack: Taylor's "V"
Dork Squad
Check out Team Taycob!! http://teamtaycob.webs.com/
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

Like some of you, it frustrates me SO much that Bella gets everything she wants, and everyone works so hard to make sure she's happy. Everyone walks around her on eggshells, and I simply don't understand why. I don't see how it's fair that Edward leaves her, then she gets to mope around and be miserable and bask in the affections of another wonderful boy, while Edward is practically killing himself to keep her safe, and Jacob is giving up so much of his life to be with someone who is so broken, and Charlie is worrying. And then she decides to give up all the human parts of life. Fine. She's sacrificing for her love. But then, in the end, she gets to have a baby anyway, and in the process makes everyone worried sick about her, makes everyone endure Rosalie's nastiness, and when Leah, the only person with enough cajones to tell Bella off, does so, she gets yelled at and Bella gets sympathy. And then, she does have that baby, that Rosalie and Leah, arguably the two strongest female characters, want so badly but will never (or may never) have. And of course, her best friend who has been suffering for so long imprints on the baby, so she doesn't have to be without him, but she also doesn't have to work out any of the issues their relationship may have. She gets to use the "newborn" excuse for her ridiculous behavior when she finds out about this, but doesn't have to suffer any of the newborn hardships.

Everyone protects Bella like she's some delicate flower. Remember in BD when they were running out of time so Kate very cleverly pretended she was going to shock Nessie even though she had no intention of doing so? Just to kick Bella's butt into gear. And then Edward flipped out about how it crossed the line, and a lot of fandom did too? That's a perfect example of what I am talking about.

It just frustrates me terribly that Bella, who relies on others throughout the entire series, gets everything she wants while Leah, who suffers so much by herself and Rosalie, who has suffered so much and lost the only thing she ever wanted, but who have both displayed great strength, are left wanting.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
vampirenerd
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye
Location: In my fantasy world with Edward...and Jacob (why not?)

Post by vampirenerd »

HOFJ, I agree that everyone does pretty much give in to what Bella wants. Throughout most of the series everyone is doing everything they can to make Bella happy whether she appreciates it or not. It annoys me to no end, but then I just take it with a grain of salt the next time I read the books.

BD annoyed me so badly. I hated how all of a sudden Bella has no problems being a newborn. I agree with the thought that b/c she chose it and prepared for it it made it easier, but it shouldn't have made it THAT easier. She was VERY Marysue. All of a sudden she has an amazing power and no bloodlust. I agree HOFJ again about the situation with Kate. Someone else mentioned how they didn't understand how her power only took a month to completely form while it took Kate so long. My answer, it had to so she could protect everyone from the bad vamps lol. SM didn't give her longer than that, but yes, that kinda got on my nerves. It was just another point of how awesome Bella was as a newborn. I did like that Kate used Nessie to get Bella to try harder (oh I can hear the rants coming my way now). Bella didn't have the time to not work her absolute hardest, she had to get it completely under control and nothing so far was working. I agree HOFJ that Kate never would've actually hurt Nessie but Bella did need some type of motivation.

Also, another thing that bothered me was how Bella and Edward went from being so completely in love to hardly showing it at all in BD. It's like as soon as Nessie came around their relationship was put on the back burner. I understand that a new baby takes a lot of time and all the other stuff going on but throughout the entire series their love is the main focus and then in BD, it's like it's just an afterthought.

So, all in all there were quite a few things that bugged me about Bella in BD...but I will continue to read it (along with the first three) over and over lol.
diane771
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by diane771 »

I thought Beila and Edward were lovey dovey till she got pregnant, then again after she turned. But It doesn't say anything unless I missed it. I know Carlisle was totally alone when he went through it and woke up in 3 days , But was Carlisle right there when Edward woke up, since it was his first time changing someone I was just courious. I know that Edward and Carlisle were most likely there for Esmee and Rosalie, but then Emmett as big as he was and him being stronger even more as a newborn I wonder how they handled that one. :?:
http://neverthinkningcom.ning.com/video/rules-dont-stop-me
http://neverthinkningcom.ning.com/video/i-dont-care0001
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Huh? Unless that was meant to be random, I think I missed your point. Could you clarify?

diane771
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by diane771 »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:Huh? Unless that was meant to be random, I think I missed your point. Could you clarify?

Well when Bella turned she had all the Cullens and Jacob there for her. When Carlisle turned he was alone and had to hide.
We don't know much about what happened to any one except Jasper when he woke up and was a vampire. So Bella's support around her could have been the deciding factor on how she reacted in being a newborn.
And when Emmett turned just by what they were telling Bella they went a little out of control. So I just was thinking how big Emmett was and it was only Carlisle, Edward, Esmee and Rosalie there for him and it would be interesting to see him wake up like Bella did. Last think Bella thought was her baby, last thing Emmett thought was he was killed by a bear.
But Bella had the shield but I think the support and love around her really helped her with her new life. Does that clear it up for you a little?
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Okay, I understand what you are saying now just not as it pertains to what we were talking about but whatever.

I don't think it had anything to do with the amount of support she got, personally. I think it was SMs way of making sure her main character didn't have to suffer.

I hate to be one of those downer critics but I've noticed a distressing pattern in the saga. The strong women, who have a voice and aren't afraid to be heard, are vilified or alone, while the weaker, more classically feminine get their man and their perfect life.

diane771
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by diane771 »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:Okay, I understand what you are saying now just not as it pertains to what we were talking about but whatever.

I don't think it had anything to do with the amount of support she got, personally. I think it was SMs way of making sure her main character didn't have to suffer.

I hate to be one of those downer critics but I've noticed a distressing pattern in the saga. The strong women, who have a voice and aren't afraid to be heard, are vilified or alone, while the weaker, more classically feminine get their man and their perfect life.
I can see your point there and where it is in the book, but that really only applies to 2 main female characters. I don't see Alice or Rosalie in that way at all.
vampirenerd
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye
Location: In my fantasy world with Edward...and Jacob (why not?)

Post by vampirenerd »

HOFJ I agree...not so much just for the saga b/c truthfully it doesn't apply to the majority of the women in these books, but in literature as a whole that is true. Could it be b/c men are naturally programmed to be the provider/care taker? Therefore they are more inclined to be drawn towards women who need them? Yeah, that's so off topic but I had to put my two cents in lol.