Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
twilight1909
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Re: Bella Swan Cullen #2

Post by twilight1909 »

I guess I agree that Jacob was necessary. Bella and Edward will always know she had a chance at another life, another happiness, and she chose not to take it.

But I also think Jacob is just a filler that got blown out of proportion... and made Bella cheat on Edward. Gee, thanks for that SM. (yeah I'm still not over it.)
And so the lion fell in love with the lamb… What a lucky lamb.
TEAM EDWARD: Knight in Shining Volvo
Amethyst1
Completely Dazzled!

Post by Amethyst1 »

twilight1909 wrote:I guess I agree that Jacob was necessary. Bella and Edward will always know she had a chance at another life, another happiness, and she chose not to take it.

But I also think Jacob is just a filler that got blown out of proportion... and made Bella cheat on Edward. Gee, thanks for that SM. (yeah I'm still not over it.)
i don't really think Jacob was necessary. In fact, i don't think his significance in new moon and eclipse were necessary at all.
There is Forever Dawn and it's gone very very well without the interference of the underdog

I can't say if Jacob's weight on the books was more exciting than not - maybe ALOT less irritable but i am not entirely sure. No one has read Forever Dawn.

But for sure bella wouldn't have needed to be so annoyingly irritable. Ah..if only i was a vampire. I would have have gone a month without feeding and by "surprise" i would run into bella... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
DesiringJB
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by DesiringJB »

malaz wrote: i don't really think Jacob was necessary. In fact, i don't think his significance in new moon and eclipse were necessary at all.
There is Forever Dawn and it's gone very very well without the interference of the underdog

I can't say if Jacob's weight on the books was more exciting than not - maybe ALOT less irritable but i am not entirely sure. No one has read Forever Dawn.

But for sure bella wouldn't have needed to be so annoyingly irritable. Ah..if only i was a vampire. I would have have gone a month without feeding and by "surprise" i would run into bella... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Jacob's presence throughout the series keeps things interesting. Bella and Edward making googly eyes at each other for four books would be pretty dull...

A love triangle, despite how frustrating it was, kept things intense. Plus, Jacob was great comic relief :)
twilight1909
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by twilight1909 »

I wouldn't mind running into Bella as a newborn myself...*evil laugh*... nah, I do like her. Just not some of her decisions. Or her clumsiness.

DesiringJB -- good points.
And so the lion fell in love with the lamb… What a lucky lamb.
TEAM EDWARD: Knight in Shining Volvo
DesiringJB

Post by DesiringJB »

twilight1909 wrote:I wouldn't mind running into Bella as a newborn myself...*evil laugh*... nah, I do like her. Just not some of her decisions. Or her clumsiness.

DesiringJB -- good points.
Ha, yeah Bella's choices... *shakes head sadly* She just didn't know when to quit..

And thank you, twilight1909 :)
SenorGimp
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by SenorGimp »

I agree with you there, desiring JB, and am actually quite astonished to hear anyone say that they didn't think Jake was essential to the story!
I mean, insofar as Edward's and Bella's inevitably choosing each other, and living happily ever after, etc, etc, Jacob wasn't really necessary...
But having him in the story provided for, I'd say, a good 30% (and I'm guessing on the lower end to be fair) of the storyline, e.g., No Jacob, No dirtbikes, No Jacob, no frantic search for the meadow, No Jacob, no reason for any werewolves to be anywhere in the story, except perhaps for the whole Cullens changing Bella into a vampire thing... Actually, come to think of it, the Cullens might have faired a lot more poorly against the Newborns without the help of the pack, so that might have just been a tragic end of the story right there, if not for Jacob..
Wait, come to think of it, Bella would have been dead at the hand's of Laurent halfway through New Moon if not for Jacob. Actually there wouldn't even be a New Moon, so I guess your argument, malaz, is that the story would have been better if there were merely two books (Twilight and Forever Dawn), rather than the actual four in print (Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse, and Breaking Dawn)?
I daresay, the series could have been passable that way, but I definitely favor what Jake brought to the story, and probably wouldn't be quite SO for the Edward/Bella relationship (never against, but not as in favor of), since there wouldn't have been those times of tribulation that couples often go through to test the bounds of their love.
Well Edward leaving, and the effect that had on Bella, and Jacob's intervention (if you will) and all that that entailed, well the whole process was a rather large test of the love that Edward and Bella share, and, hard though it was at times, I think they passed it just fine, which makes me stand behind their relationship all the more...
You get my point?
I definitely would like to take a peek at Forever Dawn, just to see what it would have been like, but I definitely like the story the way it is, jacob and all...
We Love Mumford And Sons!
1 of 2 Active Members of Team Gimp
Proud Member of the Gen Y Lexily
http://www.fanfiction.net/~senorgimp
leahroselover
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by leahroselover »

There never was a story of more angst than this of Bella and her Edward
Avi By Kaitlin @B&E.com
Sig by Electrimafried @ASN
Why Edward Hates Blonde's Pg-13 : A Dark/Romance/Comedy Fic
DesiringJB

Post by DesiringJB »

SenorGimp wrote:I agree with you there, desiring JB, and am actually quite astonished to hear anyone say that they didn't think Jake was essential to the story!
I mean, insofar as Edward's and Bella's inevitably choosing each other, and living happily ever after, etc, etc, Jacob wasn't really necessary...
But having him in the story provided for, I'd say, a good 30% (and I'm guessing on the lower end to be fair) of the storyline, e.g., No Jacob, No dirtbikes, No Jacob, no frantic search for the meadow, No Jacob, no reason for any werewolves to be anywhere in the story, except perhaps for the whole Cullens changing Bella into a vampire thing... Actually, come to think of it, the Cullens might have faired a lot more poorly against the Newborns without the help of the pack, so that might have just been a tragic end of the story right there, if not for Jacob..
Wait, come to think of it, Bella would have been dead at the hand's of Laurent halfway through New Moon if not for Jacob. Actually there wouldn't even be a New Moon, so I guess your argument, malaz, is that the story would have been better if there were merely two books (Twilight and Forever Dawn), rather than the actual four in print (Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse, and Breaking Dawn)?
I daresay, the series could have been passable that way, but I definitely favor what Jake brought to the story, and probably wouldn't be quite SO for the Edward/Bella relationship (never against, but not as in favor of), since there wouldn't have been those times of tribulation that couples often go through to test the bounds of their love.
Well Edward leaving, and the effect that had on Bella, and Jacob's intervention (if you will) and all that that entailed, well the whole process was a rather large test of the love that Edward and Bella share, and, hard though it was at times, I think they passed it just fine, which makes me stand behind their relationship all the more...
You get my point?
I definitely would like to take a peek at Forever Dawn, just to see what it would have been like, but I definitely like the story the way it is, jacob and all...
Thank you, SeniorGimp! My thoughts ran exactly along these lines, but I didn't know how to phrase it (plus i didnt feel like making a long post).
Leah™
Settled in Forks

Post by Leah™ »

No I'm not a crazy obsessed fangirl, but Jacob had a right to be there in all the books. Jacob is there to show a foil life (like a foil character). With Edward, Bella's life would be life changing and very different from the one she had then. With Jacob, Bella didn't have to change at all! Charlie liked Jacob. Billy liked Bella. They liked each other. If Alice didn't show up in New Moon, then I dare you to take a gander at who had dibs on Bella. Jacob made Bella re-evaluate her life with Edward, not that it did much, but it made her think.

Foil life, people. Totally my phrase. Foil Phrase™. Has a nice "ffff" ring to it.

.....I don't know if Stephenie Meyer meant for Jacob to be in there because of this though.
"Gentlemen, we just seized an airfield. That was pretty ****ing ninja."
"This is so colossally retarded I can't even say anything."
leahroselover
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by leahroselover »

Leah™ wrote:No I'm not a crazy obsessed fangirl, but Jacob had a right to be there in all the books. Jacob is there to show a foil life (like a foil character). With Edward, Bella's life would be life changing and very different from the one she had then. With Jacob, Bella didn't have to change at all! Charlie liked Jacob. Billy liked Bella. They liked each other. If Alice didn't show up in New Moon, then I dare you to take a gander at who had dibs on Bella. Jacob made Bella re-evaluate her life with Edward, not that it did much, but it made her think.

Foil life, people. Totally my phrase. Foil Phrase™. Has a nice "ffff" ring to it.

.....I don't know if Stephenie Meyer meant for Jacob to be in there because of this though.
Good point my better half. I always felt like Jacob was supposed to show how simple love could be for Bella and to make Bella and Edward stronger by showing "Hey! She would rather have a hard relationship that means the world to her than an easy one with someone else."
Avi By Kaitlin @B&E.com
Sig by Electrimafried @ASN
Why Edward Hates Blonde's Pg-13 : A Dark/Romance/Comedy Fic