Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
Bronze Haired Girl
Human History Archivist
Location: Driving through the Tennessee mountains with Emmett

Edward Cullen #4

Post by Bronze Haired Girl »

This is the place to discuss all the things you've wondered about Edward as an individual. Keep posts about Edward and Bella's relationship to the general discussion forum.

Edward and Bella's relationship discussion found here.

Please remember the Discussion Guidelines. Posts will be edited or deleted as needed at the moderators' discretion without warning.

This is a serious discussion forum. Consider your posts thoughtfully. This is also not a debate forum. We are here to discuss in depth the characters of Twilight.

I'm going to address a few problems we had in the last threads. First of all, stay on topic. I know that sometimes discussions drift off a specific character. When this happens move the discussion to the appropriate character's thread and bring the discussion back to Edward. As long as the discussion involves Edward we'll let it stay since it is hard to discuss Edward without discussing Bella, but the main point of the discussion needs to be about Edward.

Also, varying opinions are welcomed. They make discussions interesting. However, it is not acceptable to say or imply that someone else's opinion is wrong. It's their opinion. If someone disagrees with you, you don't have to continue to argue with them. Sometimes we all have to step back and agree to disagree. The bickering and spats got a bit extreme in the past. Bullies and general meanness will not be tolerated. Be civil to one another please.

Contact a mod when this thread reaches 100 pages. You don't have to stop posting at 100 pages, just make sure a mod is contacted.

Previous Edward threads:
Edward Cullen: http://www.twilightlexiconforum.com/vie ... &sk=t&sd=a
Edward Cullen #2: http://www.twilightlexiconforum.com/vie ... &sk=t&sd=a
Edward Cullen #3: http://www.twilightlexiconforum.com/vie ... =16&t=2742
Banner by urcoolcarrie
SarahGoddard
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Re: Edward Cullen #4

Post by SarahGoddard »

I'm the first person (apart from a mod) to post on the thread! So excited!

Ok lets start with some new questions?

Where do you think Edwards possesivness of Bella comes from? Is he just naturally that sort of person, always worrying, does he honestly believe Bella is in constant danger (even if only of her own feet) or does he enjoy being the "protector"?

How do you think Edward and Jacons relationship will develop in the future? As Brothers? As Father(in law) and son? "Comrades in arms" :)

~1/2 of the infamous Snowgod~
Sarah just needs her Lexily to get her through the day.
Left her ♥ on the Gen Y thread, Rockin' the 3rd person!
:mrgreen:
hannaa
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by hannaa »

I think Edward is just worried for Bella, she is the most important person he has ever met or will meet and loves her so much that he is always worried that he will lose her.

And Jacobs and Edwards relationship is a bit confusing. Edward was jealous, but he doesn't have to be anymore and that can be a bit weird. But now he has to worry for Nessie, becuase Jake Imprinted on Nessie, and their future relationship.

So Edward is worrying all the time :D
Sometimes the right thing for one person is the wrong thing for someone else - Charlie
Team Edward And Team Jacob
I'm on the list
edward4ever
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by edward4ever »

SarahGoddard wrote: Where do you think Edwards possesivness of Bella comes from? Is he just naturally that sort of person, always worrying, does he honestly believe Bella is in constant danger (even if only of her own feet) or does he enjoy being the "protector"? :)
I think his protective nature has always been there to a certain extent but it was kicked into overdrive when he fell in love with Bella and saw how bad things (dangerous, deadly things) always seem to run right at her. Much of this, of course, he blames himself for, so in some way fells obligated to protect her.

On the other side of the coin, I think he enjoys it (being her Knight in Shining armor) a little bit. He's glad that she needs protecting because that gives him an excuse to stay. Initially.
Edward's Honeymoon Night Extra
Honeymoon Night Extra
Two feather pillows--$75
One headboard--$220
Spending 17 days alone on Isle Esme with Edward Cullen--PRICELESS!
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

SarahGoddard wrote:I'm the first person (apart from a mod) to post on the thread! So excited!

Where do you think Edwards possesivness of Bella comes from? Is he just naturally that sort of person, always worrying, does he honestly believe Bella is in constant danger (even if only of her own feet) or does he enjoy being the "protector"?

How do you think Edward and Jacons relationship will develop in the future? As Brothers? As Father(in law) and son? "Comrades in arms" :)
SarahGoddard good questions. Congrats on being the first to post. Like my friend SenorGimp, I was anxious all last night to get posting again but finally had to give in to the human need for sleep. Damn it!
Anyway, let me first say I don't see Edward as possesive. Protective to be sure. And, occasionally overbearingly so. But, possessive again strays towards that idea that he believes Bella belongs to him. I don't believe that at all. From the moment he decides to give in to his feelings for her, he goes out of his way to make sure she has a choice in how things progress. Yes, we see that his desire to protect her, even against her own wishes, takes over more often than not. But I think Edward always treasures Bella's independence, is always mindful of it, even if he occasionally overrules it in favor of keeping her alive and whole.

As for where that protective instinct comes from, I think that has always been his nature. We don't know much about the Masens. But, it seems pretty clear that they raised Edward with a clear sense of responsibility and chivalry, a duty to protect particularly those weaker than he is. I see it as a big reason why he was so keen to enlist and fight in WWI. And, once he was changed, that was among his human characteristics that came with him and was strengthened. And, through living with Carlisle, it was strengthened even more. By the time Bella comes into his life, seeming so fragile and defenseless, he has to protect her. Remember, in The Novel We Shall Not Name, before he is exposed to her scent and his physical desire for her, he feels the need to shield her from Jessica's pettiness. A tiny foreshadowing of the protectiveness he would come to feel. And, once he realizes he's in love with her, particularly with his heightened vampire emotions, the thought of anything that might hurt her triggers that instinct with a ferocity even he can't fully wrap his head around.

As to Jacob and Edward's relationship, I see it as a good one, if not a little contentious. There will always be the history of fighting for Bella, as well as the natural antagonism between vampire and wolf. But, Edward is the first to understand and acknowledge just how much he owes Jacob. Bella's life, over and over again. The fact that his family is whole and intact. His daughter's happiness. They will certainly always jibe at each other. I see them almost like brothers who are very close in age; always trying to irritate each other, but with a deep-seeded affection. And, I can't wait until the first time Jacob calls Edward, "Dad"! :shock:
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
edward4ever
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by edward4ever »

Jazz Girl wrote: Like my friend SenorGimp, I was anxious all last night to get posting again but finally had to give in to the human need for sleep. Damn it!
Quick side note about that! We don't have to stop posting when we reach 100 pages, we just need to contact a Mod to let them know we need a new thread! (see below)
Re: Edward Cullen #3 by Bronze Haired Girl on Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:04 am wrote:
It's not a problem to go over 100 pages. I'm not sure where this rumor of a rule got started. We just want someone to notify a mod when a thread gets to 100 pages so we know a new one needs to be started. But you don't have to stop posting when it gets to 100 pages, just notify a mod.

Anyway, I guess we've (the mods) all been busy. I thought for sure one of the others had beat me to this. Locking this one and starting the new thread.
Edward's Honeymoon Night Extra
Honeymoon Night Extra
Two feather pillows--$75
One headboard--$220
Spending 17 days alone on Isle Esme with Edward Cullen--PRICELESS!
Esme echo
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Esme echo »

Jazz Girl wrote:As to Jacob and Edward's relationship, I see it as a good one, if not a little contentious. There will always be the history of fighting for Bella, as well as the natural antagonism between vampire and wolf. But, Edward is the first to understand and acknowledge just how much he owes Jacob. Bella's life, over and over again. The fact that his family is whole and intact. His daughter's happiness. They will certainly always jibe at each other. I see them almost like brothers who are very close in age; always trying to irritate each other, but with a deep-seeded affection. And, I can't wait until the first time Jacob calls Edward, "Dad"!
I'm not so sure Edward and Jacob will still have "the history of fighting for Bella" between them. When Jacob impressed on Renesmee, all the emotional ties in his life were replaced with Renesmee's claim on him. I've always felt that Edward's irritation with Jacob was not so much that he was part of their lives from then on, or that Jacob had tried to get Bella away from him, but that Jacob was lionizing the available time he and Bella had with the baby . . . interferring with their chance to bond with their baby.

I see their future relationship more as teammates and friends working towards the same goals.
"Where there is great love, there are always miracles."
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by navarre »

SarahGoddard wrote:I'm the first person (apart from a mod) to post on the thread! So excited!

Jazz Girl - excellent points, as always!! I have to agree with Jazz Girl when it comes to Edward's protectiveness. I think it is a combination of the era he was raised in and also he very nature. He actually has compassion fo rthose who are weaker if you will and that along with the growing love he felt for Bella brought that out. Yes, I think he does enjoy being Bella's protector.

Personally, if I had a 'Edward' who was like our Edward, I would love all of that protectiveness, it would make me feel well.....protected. :lol: Sorry, that was real lame. :oops:

I think his & Jacob's relationship will be very close now. They both have overcome so much in the last three books and now that the planets are aligned correctly in regards to Jacob's & Bella's feeling for each other, there is no more resentment between each other and I truly think he will be okay with the whole Renesmee/Jacob relationship when she is fully matured.

BTW SarahGoddard, great question to start us off. :D
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
SenorGimp
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by SenorGimp »

Edward's protectiveness stems from the fact that I'm not sure there has ever been anyone MORE in need of protection, ridiculous though that sounds. Who else have you ever heard of that is such a tremendous contradiction?
Absolutely unafraid of all of the monstrosities of the world, capable of looking death in the eye, and being only moderately regretful, and that because of the fact that her death will hurt others. Running with Vampires and Werewolves, and yet, here's the big irony, fainting at the smell of blood!!
She just cries out for protection in every one of her seemingly trivial actions and quirks, so I can completely understand Edward's need to protect her. She's the strongest example of a completely fragile person ever written..
As for Edward's and Jacob's relationship, and what develops, I've already said that I picture them developing a sort of brothers in arms relationship, knowing they can rely on each other absolutely in times or peril, as they have already done so several times!
As for Jacob calling Edward Dad...
Yuck!
I don't think that'll ever happen, regardless of the Nessie factor, and if he ever thought about doing so, I think that Edward would forestall him, because that's just way too much!
Dad, indeed!
Seriously gross!
We Love Mumford And Sons!
1 of 2 Active Members of Team Gimp
Proud Member of the Gen Y Lexily
http://www.fanfiction.net/~senorgimp
allieb
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by allieb »

hey. im allie. im kinda new to this thread so i guess i'll answer a question.

I think he always protected those he loved. Before he changed didn't he want to be in the army... I can't remember but I think that's right. So he as always been protective. Then when he fell in love with Bella and realized how much he wanted her, he must have realized others want her that way too. Plus since he can read minds, he knows how eager other guys are to date her too, so he tries to exclude Bella from situations like that. Also after he left her, and devestated them both, he realized how much he needed Bella to survive. Then through Jacob's thoughts he realized that she needed him like that too. So for the sake of both of them, she needed to be protected.

haha, I hope that made any sense. =]
E<3B .::. APPC-Team Alice .::. Sheila Delucci- Mafia .::. RANDIE REGULAR SINCE #11
He's just going to get ruined by women. .::. Where's Efron?.::. QUADRUPLETS: Syd Nar & Cocoa