Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
Amivera
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Re: Mike Newton

Post by Amivera »

glstewart wrote:I'm with you, HOFJ. Mike does have a right to his impure thoughts, it's not like he knows Edward is in on them, and he was never outwardly disrespectful to Bella. As long as he's polite and his thoughts aren't actually hurtful, he can think whatever he wants.
Oooh! Sorry, this is off topic, but were you on the Jessica Stanley board?!
To Edward, Mike's "I wanna smack that" thoughts are hurtful. To us, Jessica's "I wanna kill that" thoughts are hurtful.

Woohoo! Point made, right? :D
Blackwater. <3

potterpuff @ lj
glstewart
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by glstewart »

Yes, that was me on the Jessica thread.

O.k. -- when did Mike ever think "I wanna smack that"? And what are you referring to? A smooch on the lips?, or perverted smack on the butt? A smooch on the lips is not hurtful, but I guess a smack on the butt would be. Anyhow, I don't recall Edward ever hearing Mike saying that he wants to smack anything. Just implying that he wants to make out with Bella. That's not hurtful. Horny, but not hurtful.

On the other hand, Jessicas thinking "nice try, idiot" among other things is hurtful. Very.
I Want to Believe
Amivera
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Amivera »

Err, it was both truthful and a humorous jab.

Teenage boys don't just think "I want to make out with her". I'm not saying all teenage boys are perverts, but as pervertedness and horniness seem to be huge personality traits for Mike, I'm pretty sure he's not just imagining making out with Bella.

That's probably what's getting Edward's knickers in a twist.

"Nice try, idiot," isn't that mean. I say that to my sister.
"I wanna smack that," is demeaning. Boys say that— and actually do it— in highschool.

It has to do with viewpoints, again.
Blackwater. <3

potterpuff @ lj
glstewart

Post by glstewart »

The mother in me is aching to tell you to be nice to your sister. The sister in me is laughing.
I Want to Believe
Amivera
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Amivera »

glstewart wrote:The mother in me is aching to tell you to be nice to your sister. The sister in me is laughing.
Haha. Over the internet, you can't tell tone of voices, but it's more of a sarcastic "Nice try, idiot." :D
Let the sister win!
Blackwater. <3

potterpuff @ lj
glstewart

Post by glstewart »

Gotcha! 8-) I really don't think Jessica's "nice try, idiot" was good natured sarcasm, but mean-spirited cattiness. Again, I suppose this is where you and I differ.

Likewise, I don't think Mike's impure thoughts were hurtful, just horny. I know I have been out of high school for a while, but I don't think teenage horniness has changed that much!
I Want to Believe
Amivera
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Amivera »

On the last comment, have you read "13 Reasons Why"?

I haven't, but I read a few parts. It was this tape a girl passed around to 13 people responsible for her suicide. One of the first ones was about a boy who turned everyone against her by making her out to be a complete slut. He said she had a nice *butt* and pinched it and since he was the big macho man, everyone else started doing it.

Eventually, she couldn't go far in her small town without someone whistling or touching her inappropriately, all under the delusion that she was just a piece of *butt*.

Anyway, that's not it in Mike's case, but horny thoughts can turn hurtful eventually. To Edward, both Jessica and Mike's thoughts probably seem hurtful. In any case, he seems to try to keep Bella from spending much time with either of them.
Blackwater. <3

potterpuff @ lj
glstewart

Post by glstewart »

Amivera wrote:On the last comment, have you read "13 Reasons Why"?

I haven't, but I read a few parts. It was this tape a girl passed around to 13 people responsible for her suicide. One of the first ones was about a boy who turned everyone against her by making her out to be a complete slut. He said she had a nice *butt* and pinched it and since he was the big macho man, everyone else started doing it.

Eventually, she couldn't go far in her small town without someone whistling or touching her inappropriately, all under the delusion that she was just a piece of *butt*.

Anyway, that's not it in Mike's case, but horny thoughts can turn hurtful eventually. To Edward, both Jessica and Mike's thoughts probably seem hurtful. In any case, he seems to try to keep Bella from spending much time with either of them.

You're right about hurtful thoughts eventually becoming hurtful behaviors, but Mike's thoughts alway remained in his mind. On the surface, he was always polite to Bella.
I Want to Believe
Amivera
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Amivera »

but Mike's thoughts alway remained in his mind. On the surface, he was always polite to Bella.
Just like Jessica was polite on the surface. Her thoughts remained in her mind. :)
Blackwater. <3

potterpuff @ lj
ilovetwilight
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by ilovetwilight »

aww, poor mike. he never gives up, lol. although i was a little annoyed with him in midnight sun, when i could know what he was thinking, haha.
Active Donor for: DBJ & Co. (Dontating Blood to Jasper!)
Jackhammer Trainee for: EDC Inc. "Let's break down some houses"
Co-Captain for EDCCS!