Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
diane771
Red-Eyed Vampire

Re: Jacob Black #2

Post by diane771 »

ringswraith wrote:In the Being Jacob Black extra on Stephenie Meyer's website, he mentions that he is somewhat interested in Bella but that she wears an awful-smelling perfume. ;) So yes, he was able to smell Edward's scent on her before his first phase.

As far as the Pack covering up the age thing, remember that it's been at least two generations since the last pack, and they had only three members. Now that there are... I believe at last count, seventeen of them, that should cause some issues. Right now they're young, and people won't expect them to change much. But in another ten years?
Ok, but did he know that smell was from a vampire or just something he found foul smelling?
http://neverthinkningcom.ning.com/video/rules-dont-stop-me
http://neverthinkningcom.ning.com/video/i-dont-care0001
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

No, he had no idea. He wasn't even aware of the existence of vampires until he changed - or at least he did not believe in them. Remember in Twilight, how he passes off the stories as silly and superstitious when he tells Bella, and he's so embarrassed about Billy's behavior? He feels bad for Edward, even, because of his father's actions.

But I wonder, is it because he's a Quileute that he can smell it or because he's going to transform, eventually? Can all Quileutes smell it?

Rings, I think we can't forget imprinting here. I'm under the impression that once you imprint, you choose to age with your imprintee. So when Emily hits, like, mid-thirties and Sam is too young for her, he'll stop changing. Same with the others, although of course Quil (or Embry, I can never get them straight :oops: ) will wait until Claire is matching him in age.

I was thinking, and I came to the conclusion that not all Quileutes have the wolf gene, because if they did, they would all transform, and they haven't. It must be descendants of the last pack only, or something like that.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

Last edited by ringswraith on Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Ha, guess I just type faster.

Actually, Nessie will smell great to humans, just as vampires do, and she smells fine to Jacob too. Remember, vampire scent to wolves isn't foul the way garbage is foul to humans, it's sickeningly sweet so it almost makes you gag and then so cold it burns your nose, according to Jacob. So Nessie being human would dilute that, making her simply smell mildly sweet and not too cold.

I don't know what Quil will do about hiding himself, that's the one thing I just can't seem to work out.

Anyone who's a shifter now must be distantly related though, since they all have to have Taha Aki's bloodline.

ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

Last edited by ringswraith on Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
spicey16
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by spicey16 »

I'm pretty sure the whole tribe knows what to keep secret. they seem like a very tight knit group so even if not every one is "in on it" i believe they could keep the secret.

Cant you imagine how mad jacob will get when someone says "Dude you stinK! I think its your girl!!" :D

In Eclipse, before jacob kisses bella, edward says he is "screaming something" ( in his mind) what was he screaming? that he was going to kiss her???
elisemusta
Wandering Through Town

Post by elisemusta »

ringswraith wrote:As far as Jacob being the rightful heir and all- he doesn't want it, remember? It's why he refused to take on the alpha mantle from Sam in the beginning. He doesn't want that responsibility. So I don't see him coming back and doing that at all. (Leading his own pack is different. It was brought about by necessity, it's small, and it wasn't located in La Push.)
Right, he didn't want it at that time. But I think he was starting to take the first steps for accepting that. He permitted Edward change Bella as Ephraims heir. And he took good care of his pack. I think he could have been able to accept that role later if there were not Nessie. But now everything seems to whirl around Cullens and of cource Bella can't lose her daughter and best friend so I can't see that happen for Jacob anymore.
Not bad for a prison break, eh?
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

You know, elisemusta, you're absolutely right, but do you really think Jacob would want to start the kind of discord that would be caused by him ousting Sam?

elisemusta
Wandering Through Town

Post by elisemusta »

No, HofJ of course not. He wouldn't do that. I haven't thought so much how that would happen. :) But Sam was willing to step aside, maybe he would do that if Jake wanted to take the alpha role.
Not bad for a prison break, eh?
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Yeah, but I don't think he'd want it. Something about Jake to me just doesn't come off as needing to be in control. Although, clearly he isn't meek and a follower, he stood up when he had to. And I think that makes him a better leader, because it shows that his rise wasn't just about him, it was about doing what was right. I don't know if you read Harry Potter but in Book 7, towards the end, Dumbledore has a great line about leadership. It's something like "The best leaders aren't those who strive for leadership, but those who take up the mantle because they must, and find, in the end, that it suits them." I think this fits Jacob pretty well too.