Jacob Black #2

Character Discussion Forum

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
Pendragon
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Posts: 132
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:04 am

Re: Jacob Black #2

Post by Pendragon »

ringswraith wrote:
Pendragon wrote:I really do feel sorry for Jacob, seeing as how he'll have to go wherever the cullens (namely Nessie) goes all because he imprinted on her. Plus he'll have to live forever just for her sake.
Why do you feel sorry about that? It's not like Renesmee doesn't love him back.
It's not that he won't be loved back by her, it's just that it seems like he will be forced to do thing he wouldn't have normally done in the first place i.e. moving from place to place, having to stay immortal. Plus it kinda bothers me more since when a person imprints they virtually have no say in the matter and will do whatever it takes to satisfy the person they imprinted on.
Angelvamp
Teaching Eric Social Graces
Posts: 267
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 10:35 am

Re: Jacob Black #2

Post by Angelvamp »

Pendragon wrote:I really do feel sorry for Jacob, seeing as how he'll have to go wherever the cullens (namely Nessie) goes all because he imprinted on her. Plus he'll have to live forever just for her sake.
ringswraith wrote:Why do you feel sorry about that? It's not like Renesmee doesn't love him back.
Pendragon wrote:It's not that he won't be loved back by her, it's just that it seems like he will be forced to do thing he wouldn't have normally done in the first place i.e. moving from place to place, having to stay immortal. Plus it kinda bothers me more since when a person imprints they virtually have no say in the matter and will do whatever it takes to satisfy the person they imprinted on.
Jacob won't have to travel with the Cullens forever, Renesmee will be fully mature in 6 years. Maybe she would be willing to go back to the reservation with Jacob? I'm sure she will want his happiness, just like he wants hers. Plus, she has to leave the nest sometime. As far as the immortal thing, I'm not sure if that's a sacrifice exactly. I wouldn't say no to a few more lifetimes, especially if I found my true love and they are immortal too.
"Life is pain...anyone who tells you different is selling something."
Pendragon
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Posts: 132
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:04 am

Re: Jacob Black #2

Post by Pendragon »

Angelvamp wrote:
Pendragon wrote:I really do feel sorry for Jacob, seeing as how he'll have to go wherever the cullens (namely Nessie) goes all because he imprinted on her. Plus he'll have to live forever just for her sake.
ringswraith wrote:Why do you feel sorry about that? It's not like Renesmee doesn't love him back.
Pendragon wrote:It's not that he won't be loved back by her, it's just that it seems like he will be forced to do thing he wouldn't have normally done in the first place i.e. moving from place to place, having to stay immortal. Plus it kinda bothers me more since when a person imprints they virtually have no say in the matter and will do whatever it takes to satisfy the person they imprinted on.
Jacob won't have to travel with the Cullens forever, Renesmee will be fully mature in 6 years. Maybe she would be willing to go back to the reservation with Jacob? I'm sure she will want his happiness, just like he wants hers. Plus, she has to leave the nest sometime. As far as the immortal thing, I'm not sure if that's a sacrifice exactly. I wouldn't say no to a few more lifetimes, especially if I found my true love and they are immortal too.
True that could be an alternative as well.
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt
Posts: 4633
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:46 pm

Re: Jacob Black #2

Post by ringswraith »

...
Last edited by ringswraith on Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
December
Muse of Philosophical Discussion
Posts: 2721
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:09 am
Location: Putting the "Longa" into Ars Longa....

Re: Jacob Black #2

Post by December »

Ringswraith wrote:Truth be told, Edward, Rosalie, Emmett, Alice, Jasper, and Bella should all "leave the nest," yet save for some short periods of time alone, they're still together. They're not the typical family that sends their children out into the world when they're of age; they're a coven.

Well absolutely. And they're not children either. In some respects Esme and Carlisle may stand in the stead of parents to them by sheer force of character, but these are all independent adults living together and playing the role of a family for the sake of their charade. Ok, in some respects the "kids" remain frozen at a young age -- but remember, Carlisle is only 23 himself. And in so many ways that matter, none of them has been a child for over three quarters of a century.

In any case, in ordinary circs the point of "leaving the nest" is to make your way in a wider society, establish new relationships, broaden your social horizons beyond the family circle. In the Cullens' case, that's not really an option. Think survivors on a desert island. This is not merely a coven of convenience: realistically, this is the only society (apart from Tanya and her coven) that's available to them.
Image
“When did you ever promise to kill yourself falling out of Charlie’s tree?”
Amanda Beth
Has Caught Sight of Edward
Posts: 1075
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 12:34 pm

Re: Jacob Black #2

Post by Amanda Beth »

Edward explained to Bella sometimes Rosalie and Emmett live on their own as a married couple and I think Edward and Bella could do that too. I think Alice and Jasper hadn't lived alone because Jasper was still new to being a vegetarian. Another reason they stick together is I think Esme would miss them terribly.

Renesmee and Jacob won't be able to go back to La Push. Even if for arguments sake, the entire tribe knew about the supernatural that means they would have to be confined to the reservation. Bor-ing.
diane771
Red-Eyed Vampire
Posts: 1843
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:08 pm
Contact:

Re: Jacob Black #2

Post by diane771 »

December wrote:
Ringswraith wrote:Truth be told, Edward, Rosalie, Emmett, Alice, Jasper, and Bella should all "leave the nest," yet save for some short periods of time alone, they're still together. They're not the typical family that sends their children out into the world when they're of age; they're a coven.

Well absolutely. And they're not children either. In some respects Esme and Carlisle may stand in the stead of parents to them by sheer force of character, but these are all independent adults living together and playing the role of a family for the sake of their charade. Ok, in some respects the "kids" remain frozen at a young age -- but remember, Carlisle is only 23 himself. And in so many ways that matter, none of them has been a child for over three quarters of a century.

In any case, in ordinary circs the point of "leaving the nest" is to make your way in a wider society, establish new relationships, broaden your social horizons beyond the family circle. In the Cullens' case, that's not really an option. Think survivors on a desert island. This is not merely a coven of convenience: realistically, this is the only society (apart from Tanya and her coven) that's available to them.
I also thing that Carlisle's life style plays a role here. He keeps them in check by them not wanting to disappoint him and go out and kill humans again. None of them are true nomads and each of them work together in their lifestyle together. I think it woud not help anyone in the coven to leave permantly and so they stay close. I know when Edward left Bella he went off on his own and I think that even made the breadup harder for him to handle because he was totally alone, but he chose that way.
It woould be hard to be awake 24/7 with only one person, but with a family it would be so much easier.
Image
http://neverthinkningcom.ning.com/video/rules-dont-stop-me
http://neverthinkningcom.ning.com/video/i-dont-care0001
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan
Posts: 2169
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:43 pm
Location: Where the wild things are...

Re: Jacob Black #2

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

I know this is a bit old, but just to sort of get back onto Jacob, I want to say that I agree with Pendragon a little bit. I do feel badly for Jacob that because he's imprinted, he will be unhappy unless he follows Renesmee, wherever she may decide to go. Jacob, pre-imprint, seemed like the type of person who would not necessarily want to leave his home all that much. He seemed like the kind of kid who would go out, see the world a bit, then come home and settle down with a girl he loved and live a very simple, happy life. The lifestyle the Cullens have to keep, by necessity, doesn't seem to fit him very much. I guess it'll be okay since the imprinting sort of took anything from his character but Nessie, but it just doesn't seem to fit so much.

I also think that they'd figure out a way to bring Nessie to La Push if they wanted to. Obviously the whole pack, plus the pack wives know about the vampires and therefore can know about her. And the pack must be pretty good at covering up the fact that they won't age, previous packs must have learned to do that. Once Nessie is fully grown, I think it would be easy to take her to La Push.
Image

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
diane771
Red-Eyed Vampire
Posts: 1843
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:08 pm
Contact:

Re: Jacob Black #2

Post by diane771 »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:I know this is a bit old, but just to sort of get back onto Jacob, I want to say that I agree with Pendragon a little bit. I do feel badly for Jacob that because he's imprinted, he will be unhappy unless he follows Renesmee, wherever she may decide to go. Jacob, pre-imprint, seemed like the type of person who would not necessarily want to leave his home all that much. He seemed like the kind of kid who would go out, see the world a bit, then come home and settle down with a girl he loved and live a very simple, happy life. The lifestyle the Cullens have to keep, by necessity, doesn't seem to fit him very much. I guess it'll be okay since the imprinting sort of took anything from his character but Nessie, but it just doesn't seem to fit so much.

I also think that they'd figure out a way to bring Nessie to La Push if they wanted to. Obviously the whole pack, plus the pack wives know about the vampires and therefore can know about her. And the pack must be pretty good at covering up the fact that they won't age, previous packs must have learned to do that. Once Nessie is fully grown, I think it would be easy to take her to La Push.
I agree I don't see Jacob leaving La Push before Renesmee came into the picture. I know that the wolves accept the imprinting and the tribe must have thought it was strange for Sam to dump Leah for her cousin. Question was Jacob able to smell the vampires before he phased? Because if he did not, then the tribe might not even know except the pack.
Image
http://neverthinkningcom.ning.com/video/rules-dont-stop-me
http://neverthinkningcom.ning.com/video/i-dont-care0001
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt
Posts: 4633
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:46 pm

Re: Jacob Black #2

Post by ringswraith »

...
Last edited by ringswraith on Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post Reply