Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
Amanda Beth
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Re: Jacob Black #2

Post by Amanda Beth »

I agree the book made the loose ends tie up nice and pretty, but when I write my fanfics I really don't see it that way. I got reamed out by a reader of LAF because there was a rather controversial chapter between Bella and Jake-- both of them wondering to themselves if they still loved each other. In that story Nessie is 10 in looks, 4 in age -- the big brother stage-- so she isn't a romantic interest. It makes Jake question where his feelings stop and start.

And in TPC the fact that Bella and Jake were in love with each other will come out and Nessie will find out. It's going to be a big thing for all of them and Edward to deal with. My version is not so clean and cookie cutter.

I think if the book didn't have to end more conflict could have been brought up with the imprinting.
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

Last edited by ringswraith on Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pendragon
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Pendragon »

Exactly what ringswraith said. Don't get me wrong, I too love happy endings, but I feel that all the issues presented to us from the last two books were too cheaply resolved. I too would have liked it if their happy ending was well earned and worked for. It's like HP and the Deathly Hollows. (***spoiler for those who haven't read it***) There were some who didn't like the happy ending Harry had just like how there were people who didn't like Bella's happy ending, but the difference there is that Harry suffered his whole life and I feel that he deserves that. Bella did nothing remotely to earn her happy ending. It was handed to her all tied up with pretty ribbons. All in All Nessie was used to resolve all the issuses in the story just like that, w/o any work or character development involved.
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

***HP SPOILER ALERT***

Plus, Pendragon, The Deathly Hallows had its fair share of heartache in the ending. My poor, poor Fred. *sobs*

I love a happy ending as much as the next person, but I also like a realistic, logical ending that fits the story, rather than the story being bent to fit an outdated ending.

It's true that Nessie was planned, it's true that Jacob was planned to imprint upon her. However, it's also true that Forever Dawn was written before New Moon and Eclipse. Jacob grew and expanded as a character, became almost a third lead. To let your characters grow and then fit them back into a minor character's ending is just poor writing.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
Esme echo
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Esme echo »

I hear what you're saying, Ringswraith and Pendragon, I just don't agree that happy endings must be preceded by pain and suffering. Win-Win situations do exist. The phrases I'm looking at are "too cheaply resolved" and happy endings that have to be fought hard for. BTW, I think Bella did fight hard for what she got.

I'm trying to keep in mind, too, that Breaking Dawn was already 754 pages long. Realisticaly, SM could not have devoted more time to complicated resolutions without splitting the story into two books, and she was constrained by her publisher to wrap the story up in one volume. I would not have objected to a more complex resolution (who could object to more of their favorite characters?), but I don't think it was feasible to attempt it in this book.
HoldingOutForJacob wrote:It's true that Nessie was planned, it's true that Jacob was planned to imprint upon her. However, it's also true that Forever Dawn was written before New Moon and Eclipse. Jacob grew and expanded as a character, became almost a third lead. To let your characters grow and then fit them back into a minor character's ending is just poor writing.
I definitely see your point here, HOFJ. Would you feel differently if you knew SM was planning another book featuring Jacob and Renesmee where Jacob was allowed more scope to develop?
"Where there is great love, there are always miracles."
Amanda Beth
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Amanda Beth »

REALLLLLLLLLY quickly, I think I almost read a Harry Potter spoiler. PLEASE remember that although we all may be knowledgeable on all things Twilight, talking about other things may spoil books and movies for other people.
Pendragon
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Pendragon »

Esme echo wrote:I hear what you're saying, Ringswraith and Pendragon, I just don't agree that happy endings must be preceded by pain and suffering. Win-Win situations do exist. The phrases I'm looking at are "too cheaply resolved" and happy endings that have to be fought hard for. BTW, I think Bella did fight hard for what she got.

I'm trying to keep in mind, too, that Breaking Dawn was already 754 pages long. Realisticaly, SM could not have devoted more time to complicated resolutions without splitting the story into two books, and she was constrained by her publisher to wrap the story up in one volume. I would not have objected to a more complex resolution (who could object to more of their favorite characters?), but I don't think it was feasible to attempt it in this book.
HoldingOutForJacob wrote:It's true that Nessie was planned, it's true that Jacob was planned to imprint upon her. However, it's also true that Forever Dawn was written before New Moon and Eclipse. Jacob grew and expanded as a character, became almost a third lead. To let your characters grow and then fit them back into a minor character's ending is just poor writing.
I definitely see your point here, HOFJ. Would you feel differently if you knew SM was planning another book featuring Jacob and Renesmee where Jacob was allowed more scope to develop?

I understand what you mean when you said that happy ending don't have to come from lots of pain and suffering before hand. The reason I say that Bella didn't really have to fight was because too many issues were resolved with the birth of her daughter. One example is Jacob. If they still had problems yet slowly Jacob got used to the idea of Bella as a vampire, if he tried to get used to it and eventually went on speaking terms again and then even became friends, that would have been a well earned happy result. What happened was that her daughter's born, Jacob falls in love, end of tension between the two. For me, Jacob imprinting put his character development to a halt. If he learned to get over Bella, move on with his life, and then find love on his own that would have constituted and his character development coming full circle for me. Now he saw Nessie and it's like "BAM! my life is so much better now that I've found my personal sun". I think a book about the two would only serve to see more into their developing relationship that Jacob's personal growth.
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

No, Esme, it wouldn't. I don't need scope on Jacob's character, I have that. I have zero desire to learn about him through Nessie's eyes. What I was looking for was for him to grow past his troubles and sorrows and work through his pain and deal with his issues and get into it with Bella a little bit, maybe. I think he needed to deal with that before he could move on. So yes, I think that the ending with Nessie was cheap.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
diane771
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by diane771 »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:No, Esme, it wouldn't. I don't need scope on Jacob's character, I have that. I have zero desire to learn about him through Nessie's eyes. What I was looking for was for him to grow past his troubles and sorrows and work through his pain and deal with his issues and get into it with Bella a little bit, maybe. I think he needed to deal with that before he could move on. So yes, I think that the ending with Nessie was cheap.
Why would you want him to get in to it with Bella. Its seems to me Jacob has had enough time and opportunity and taken it on Bella. Nobody needs to get over someone by geting into it. With Nessie I did think that was really Strange. But we talked about that before on imprinting so would he have been happier if before Bella had Nessie he would not have been there and maybe he would not have imprinted and gone on with his life? That to me sounds good but SM wanted to spice of the pot and had him imprint on Nessie. Still not sure why though. And I don't think he needs to have it out with Bella, he did enough at her wedding and he should just leave her alone. The pack would not have even known that she was pregnant until Jacob went over there. Just my opinion
http://neverthinkningcom.ning.com/video/rules-dont-stop-me
http://neverthinkningcom.ning.com/video/i-dont-care0001
spicey16
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by spicey16 »

i didnt like it when jacob imprinted on ness either. i think it did take away so of his personal growth and developement. when i realized jacob was going to imprint on ness this is what happened: At first i was excited bc i didnt know what was going to happen, then this overwhelming "let down feel" occured when i found everything to be peachy keen. however before the end i was happy for jacob ( extremely jealous of Nessie) but happy for jacob and i thought, who cares if he didnt have to deal with his hurt bc it isnt there anymore and he will never hurt like that again. while i do find it implausible that all his feelings for bella washed away I think that they were more just put into perspective. I mean i have "loved" people in the past and thought i was head over heals... now i realize that there are different loves and of course i "loved" my ex's but now i love my husband and they others dont matter.