Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
Suzan
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Re: Edward Cullen #6

Post by Suzan »

December wrote:Feeling more comfortably settled than ever here in my stubborn little movie-free zone. Even Rob's lovely face isn't worth seeing Stephenie's amazing story tangled up with someone else's strange reinterpretation....

This version is pretty much wall to wall emo, and (to my mind) so much less effective for it.
Wow, I admire your determination! If there is a movie adaptation of a book I like, I simply have to see it whether it's good or bad. I have to judge and compare it to the book myself, I guess. It is a good thing you haven't seen NM though. Edward is pretty much moping around the entire movie.
December wrote:Grace under pressure -- that's what we're meant to see in Edward. Of course there is the dark side of the story running beneath it like an ominous groundbass, but Edward makes it all look so easy. If he didn't, Bella would never be fooled for so long about what becoming a vampire really means. And none of us would have fallen in love with him. Yes, we should see him looking tortured -- but only in flashes.
Maybe they tried to emphasize the dark side of him, because they thought the flashes in the books are too subtle for a movie audience. But they have gone a little overboard with it, making him look less gracefull and appealing then he is in the proces. The problem is that we don't get to see why Bella would fall for him other then "He saved my life and he is gorgeous" because Edward is so depressed the entire time. (This could even be one of the reasons the love triangle is more present in the movies, now that I think of it.)
I don't think it's RP's fault though. There are just not enough -if any- scenes in the script where Edwards good side is shown. A pretty good example is this scene:
Esme echo wrote:Even in the big "sparkling in the sun" scene -- which should have been romantic and tender -- Edward wastes the event on self-loathing and blaming Bella for smelling so good. There was no real meadow scene at all.
If they could have just split this back to what it was in the book: Bella learns Edward is a vampire and asks all the questions on the drive home from Port Angeles. This way Edward has some time to learn and accept that Bella is not afraid of him and she's not running away before they have the ultimate romantic scene in the meadow.They can be completely themselves and express there love and Edwards grace and wonderful character can come out. In the movie that scene (to me) is more about Bella being fascinated about the vampire powers, but she knows little to nothing about Edwards life and character and Edward is still worried that he is going to scare her away. CH has even said that a big problem with the script was that they fall in love to fast. By inserting this scene they could have solved two problems with one solution: make them fall in love more gradually and have Edwards good side shine through. (Hope what I mean is still understandable. I don't have a way with words as some of you do.)
Jazz Girl wrote:
December wrote:ETA
("it wouldn't be like drinking your blood, for instance"

No, please, please tell me this is not in the movie script....
Yes, in all it's utter wrongness. Smack dab in the middle of the discussion of veggie-ism. The funniest part is the look on RobWard's face after he says it. I think CougarCat put the pregnant pause in in an attempt to show him actually considering the differences or something equally insane. But you can absolutely tell, the look on his face is one of absolute incredulity, essentially communicating, "Ummm, no, should not, would not, have said that."
I had to go and check that and you're absolutely right, he does look like that! LOL! I think that look is supposed to say "She's still not running away from me screaming after I say stuff like that?! *giggle* Nope, I guess she's either absolutely fearless or crazy." :lol:

StellaBlueBella ~ As Jazz Girl said it's during the talk about being a vegetarian. Edward and Bella are in the woods and Bella is asking him a lot of questions about vampires and his life etc. In this shot they are sitting on the rocks near a river. Full quote:
Bella: "So is Carlisle the real reason you don't kill people?"
Edward: "No, he's not the only reason. I don't want to be a monster. My family...We think of ourselves as vegetarians. Because we only survive on the blood of animals. But it's like a human only living on tofu. It keeps you strong but you're never fully satisfied. It wouldn't be like drinking your blood, for instance."

I like the idea of recording your own audio book. I absolutely agree that they are terrible right now (sorry, woman who recorded them). I tried listening to them after I read the books for the first time and I couldn't even get past chapter one. I have often wondered what it would be like to have Kristen, Rob, Taylor and the rest of the cast recording an audio book. (Is that also what you meant December? Or did you have other actors in mind? I'm terrible at interpreting subtext/sarcasm etc.) They know these characters like no other I would think - except SM of course, it would be great too if she recorded one. I get the impression sometimes that even the actors don't like certain things changing from the book to the movie. Kristen could read everything that is not dialogue since it is Bella's point of view.
If only... Dream on Suzan, dream on. ;)

Hmm, this has been way to long, sorry. It's just nice to have a place to vent. Shutting now.
FF profile: Suzqnv5689
December
Muse of Philosophical Discussion

Post by December »

suzan wrote:Wow, I admire your determination! If there is a movie adaptation of a book I like, I simply have to see it whether it's good or bad. I have to judge and compare it to the book myself, I guess.

Trust me, I don't find it hard at all. (*grin*) But then, I'm really not a movie person. Not that there aren't movies which have totally swept me off my feet; but overall I'm much much happier with a book in my hand. Maybe, perversely, it's because I'm NOT all that good at vividly imagining what I read. So that the effect books have on me is even further removed from the experience of watching a film: more misty and enchanted. Just a thought....

(Is that also what you meant December? Or did you have other actors in mind? I'm terrible at interpreting subtext/sarcasm etc.)

No subtext or sarcasm for once. I didn't actually have any specific actors in mind -- I guess I was just reflecting on the paradox that it's hard for any of us to read as expressively as a professional actor can; but it's equally hard to imagine any actor capturing the particular way each one of us hears the lines in our head. So that it's likely to be an exercise in frustration either way: if JG were to record herself she'd be hard pressed to translate the voices in her head into a performance, but anyone else's interpretation will at best be an approximation. But still....one has to think that the right actor could get a lot closer than the existing audiobook to getting it right....
“When did you ever promise to kill yourself falling out of Charlie’s tree?”
StellaBlueBella
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by StellaBlueBella »

Suzan wrote: In this shot they are sitting on the rocks near a river.
Thanks that totally jogged my memory. And the full quote was very kind of you to add. Looking back on it, it's almost so out of character that I find it oddly humerous. Not exactly sure why though...

• To comprehend a nectar Requires sorest need.
Esme echo
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Esme echo »

StellaBlueBella, the infamous line was delivered when Edward and Bella were talking after the non-meadow scene, on the rocks near water. This is Melissa's substution for the questioning between Bella and Edward after Port Angeles.
"Where there is great love, there are always miracles."
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

StellaBlueBella wrote:
Suzan wrote: In this shot they are sitting on the rocks near a river.
Thanks that totally jogged my memory. And the full quote was very kind of you to add. Looking back on it, it's almost so out of character that I find it oddly humerous. Not exactly sure why though...
I have to find it funny because if I didn't, I might just cry a little. I can honestly think of no other literary character whose personality and character were so utterly thrust aside in adapting him/her to film. I think Rob makes serious attempts at bringing some of him back for us. But, MR stripped him so bare in her efforts to, as she put it, make him a little more modern (helloooo, part of the point is that HE IS FROM ANOTHER TIME!!! :banghead: ) It was disheartening to say the very least to read quote after quote given by the person who is supposed to translate Edward for us from page to screen basically talking about all the things that are wrong with him. She never understood, or in my opinion TRIED to understand, all the wonderful things about Edward that make him who he is, and accordingly what he is to us. Edward is, quite literally, lost in translation.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
Suzan
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Suzan »

Sorry December. I though you meant something specific and I wasn't getting the hint. See how bad I am at this, I'm even interpreting something that isn't even there. :?
I think you're right about the audiobook. Everybody reads certain lines differently so maybe we should just record one for ourselves. It actually sounds like fun but my English pronunciation is really terrible so I think I will stick with reading. At least it sounds somewhat ok in my head. :lol:

You're welcome StellaBlueBella. I thought it was important to have a little context around the quote.
FF profile: Suzqnv5689
Cullenfan
Settled in Forks

Post by Cullenfan »

Jazz Girl wrote:
Esme echo wrote:I try hard not to consider what happens in the movies when analysing the Twilight characters. Melissa Rosenberg is definately not Stephenie Meyer. I don't like what she did with the first three films, and I dread to think what she's done to Breaking Dawn.
The travesty of some of the things she's done to Edward's character... it just kills me the way he ends up looking now that MR's had her turn with him. I'm slightly partial, I know. But, I shudder to think what might have happened if he were left in the hands of a less capable actor.
Great coversation people!

Agree Agree Agree!!! So many things MR has done just dont sit right with the characters I know and love! In Twilight I soooo wanted the blood testing scene - instead we got Edward swinging from trees, what was the obsession with that?

In New Moon I really wanted the end bedroom conversation to be there, and without it the ending seems rushed. It's never fully explained why he left or how he feels or why everything has changed, it's just kinds brushed over and then he proposes. They dont even mention Rosalie!

Dont get me wrong, I love the films, but I feel this is only because I've read the books and understand whats going on thats been missed off the screen.
Sometimes I watch the films again and I'm surprised there are whole chunks missing because I've convinced myself they were in the film - I was possitive you see Bella clawing the radio out of her truck, and also Edward showing her the picture he left behind in her bedroom - guess I've just got a good imagination!

December - I totaly agree with you, Edward is suppose to be struggling, trying to protect Bella even from himself, but he's also falling head over heels in love for the first time, I think the guy might be a bit happy!! Where's that smile we know and love from the books!

Has anyone watched Eclipse with the commentary on? Robert Pattison complains about how wet they made Edward at some points, it's really quite funny.
I run with the vampires!!!
I'm no Alice - your just predictable
December
Muse of Philosophical Discussion

Post by December »

Cullenfan wrote:In Twilight I soooo wanted the blood testing scene - instead we got Edward swinging from trees, what was the obsession with that?

Heh. Cinematography and filming some action shots for the boys, I imagine.

But yes, the whole Blood Typing chapter is so delightful -- and would have been so easy to have fun with in a movie (unlike say, the drive back from Port Angeles, which has to be one of my favourite scenes from the entire series but would be next-to-impossible to really capture without the narration).

Ah well...if Summit had succeeded in making the ultimate Twilight movie, we couldn't have as much fun rethinking the whole thing for ourselves in our own heads! To borrow from Browning, A movie maker's reach should exceed his grasp, else what's a fansite for....
“When did you ever promise to kill yourself falling out of Charlie’s tree?”
Cullenfan
Settled in Forks

Post by Cullenfan »

December wrote:
Cullenfan wrote:In Twilight I soooo wanted the blood testing scene - instead we got Edward swinging from trees, what was the obsession with that?

Heh. Cinematography and filming some action shots for the boys, I imagine.

But yes, the whole Blood Typing chapter is so delightful -- and would have been so easy to have fun with in a movie (unlike say, the drive back from Port Angeles, which has to be one of my favourite scenes from the entire series but would be next-to-impossible to really capture without the narration). i]
The Restaurant scene and the drive back from Port Angeles are my favorite in the whole series, this is basically when you see them be honest with each other and start to fall in love. A montage scene does not a love story make! :roll:

I do think fans of the books still enjoy the films despite of this, because you really do just insert your own favorite scene! Plus I think the cast have done a great job with a poor script - the 'spider monkey' incident still makes me cringe!!! :evil:
I run with the vampires!!!
I'm no Alice - your just predictable
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by corona »

Ahhh, the drive back from Port Angeles, the trip of revelations. Except, in the movie, Edward just has this weird constipated look on his face and the only revelation is that his hand is cold, and Bella tells him this to his face. And then she puts two and two together when she sees the cold dead body being wheeled by, except SM very specifically separated her vampires from the traditional “undead” kind. Could that have been botched even more?

And the bedroom scene after Bella returns from Italy? That should have been the very first scene that was written for the movie, an encapsulation of what the book was all about. I know corners have to be cut, but that was ridiculous.

BTW, December, remember our discussion in Explorations about the Vote scene, the Volturi, and Edward’s explanation about how he could keep the Volturi away from Bella? I might not have agreed with Edward (I thought he was grasping at straws), but at least he offered a plan. In the movie he stands in the back in some corner of shame, and when he starts to speak Bella turns around and tells him to shut up. Wow.

I think in MR’s original script for BD, when Jacob propositions Bella, she actually leers at him and then flashes some skin. OK, just kidding…I think.
"It will take an amazing amount of control,” she mused. “More even than Carlisle has. He may be just strong enough…the only thing he’s not strong enough to do is stay away from her. That’s a lost cause.”