A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Galinda
Settled in Forks

Re: Chapter 1 ~ First Impressions

Post by Galinda »

1. Did you relate to Bella right away? If so, what part of her did you identify with?
Actually no, not really. I didn't dislike her either. When I read the first chapter I just couldn't figure out what kind of person she is and so I kept my opinion neutral :)

2. What were your first impressions of Renee and Charlie?
First of all I was reminded of my own parents with all this "ok, kid's going to visit the other side now"- behaviour :lol: But I kind of liked them.

3. What were your first impressions of the friends Bella meets?
I thought it was nice of Eric to try and make contact with Bella, even though he lacks a sense of humor. I found Jessica pretty annoying because she seemed to be that kind of person who has nothing else to do than gossip (and it turned out that she is like that :roll: ). Mike, at least, was funny.

4. Were you scared or intrigued by Edward?
Neither. I found him (and the rest of the family) simply interesting. I wanted to know more of their backgrounds

5. What did you think of Edward's odd behavior?
I was quite curious. I figured that it had something to do with him being a vampire, but I had no idea what it was.

6. Did this chapter hook you on the book or were you still trying to see what the fuss was?
I have to admit that it was the latter. When I read the chapter I thought, "okay, that was nice, but why are they all freaking out about it?"
The key to being beautiful is to hang around with really ugly people.
ObsessedwithTwilight
Settled in Forks

Post by ObsessedwithTwilight »

1. Did you relate to Bella right away? If so, what part of her did you identify with?
Yes a little. Her shyness and quietness. I'm also shy and quiet.

I didn't have that good of a first impression of Renee. She seemed to me a little irresposible and I found it strange that she didn't try harder to keep her only daughter with her. I liked Charlie though. Even though he wasn't used to having another person in the house he did try.

I didn't really like Jessica. Mike intrigued me a little. He seemed nice.

I was intrigued by Edward.

I couldn't figure out why he acted like that. I couldn't understand what could possibly cause him to act like that especially because he'd never even met Bella.

6. Did this chapter hook you on the book or were you still trying to see what the fuss was?
I was hooked when I read the Prologue. The first chapter was the clincher for me.
littlenudger
Settled in Forks

Post by littlenudger »

I did't realate with Bella right away because I am an outgoing person. Now I did identify with her with the whole divorced parents thing but I just found her to be interesting. Bella is shy but still will have spunk enough to stand up for herself and does not keep that shy girl exterior for long.
I liked Charlie alot because he really was trying to make Bella feel welcome in a town that she obviously did not really want to be in. I did not like Renee at first, but then i came to realize that she was very in tune with Bella and could read her very well.

Her friends reminded me of the sterotypical high schoolers, staring at the new girl, the boys wondering how they can get her to noice them. It was my high school experience all over again. I really liked angela but Jessica drove me crazy, i did not like people like that back then and that has not changed.

I was intrigued, i love the mystery that surrounds him. It makes him extra wonderful.

I didn't know what to think of his odd behavior. I found it frustrating at first b/c the girl in me wants a love story to hit the ground running. Then after hearing his side of the story(by reading midnight sun and re-reading twilight a few times :D) i began to understand why he did the things he did, he just wanted to protect her, like any good gentleman would do! :)

I was hooked. I love Sm's writing style and the development of the characters was amazing. I love new beginnings in books, keeps the mind fresh.
E<3B
Alice Cullen Quirkier than you since 1901
Yes, because a vampire slumber party is the pinnacle of safety conscious behavior.
LizCA217
Settled in Forks

Post by LizCA217 »

Not really. I have never lived in one place too long, never been to the west coast at all. My parents are still married. We look nothing alike. My father is nothing like Charlie and I would never have been so responsible for taking care of my parent like she was with both of hers. I'm not accident-prone. I don't like heat or the sun the way she does. That truck would have been too embarrassing for me! I could identify with being the new kid at school and not wanting that pointed out all the time.

Charlie was a likable guy. He fit my description of a long-distance single father who hadn't spent too much time with women or his daughter. Renee reminded me of my mother who is also very flighty. I did feel like Renee was slightly selfish for so easily letting Bella go off so she could run around with her new hubby.

They were the same as Bella's. Jessica is superficial, Angela is easy-going, Mike is like a puppy with a new toy, Eric is insecure, Lauren is a snob, Jacob is adorable and easy for Bella to play.

I was never scared of Edward but I was definitely intrigued.

I didn't understand why he was so angry toward her. I didn't expect him to be friendly but I thought he'd be civil. It made me want to read more though just to find out why he was acting that way.

Yep, I was hooked right away. I couldn't read fast enough or often enough.
Hearts in red ink.
Wandering Through Town

Post by Hearts in red ink. »

I did, my first impression of Bella was that she was just a regular normal girl. I identified with her character just a little with the fact that she was a little nervous and shy. I'm like that a lot when I'm around a new surrounding. And also her relationship with Charlie, it reminded me of how mine is also. Weird.

My first impression of Renee, I honestly didn't like her.
She seemed way immature, I felt like Bella was more of an adult that Renee. I also felt like she was putting Phil over Bella. This was her daughter, her only child and she let go of her way to easily. I felt as though she did love Bella, but she just wanted to be care-free with her new & younger husband.

I liked Charlie a lot, you could see that he really loved Bella and was happy she was there with him. And I thought it was adorable how nervous he seemed at first, like he didn't really know how to be a parent but he wanted to be one.

I thought most of them were like how reg. kids are when a new face comes to school, they were curious about this "Isabella Swan" character.
I think Angela will always be my favorite, her and Bella seemed to me like they could have really been good friends.
I disliked Jessica from the beginning, she seemed like one of those girls that would befriend you then later talk about you behind your back. She didn't seem like she truly cared for Bella as a friend.

I was def. intrigued, he was this big mystery that you were just instantly attracted to, and wanted to know what his deal was.

I think I knew why he was behaving the way he was, not entirely but it was obvious he was trying to keep Bella out of his life for some sort of reason. I figured he was attracted to her is all.

I was instantly hooked ! LOL
RebeccaCullen
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by RebeccaCullen »

A little. I can't seemed to pinpoint it, but I think it was the weird relationship with her parents, and not being any good at sports.

Too needy and needs to talk more, respectively for her parents.

She seemed to go from nobody in a school of three thousand, to a somebody because of who her parents were, and being a shiney new object so to speak. All I can remember is that the guys she became friends with were utterly annoying, and that Jessica was a complete dummy. The only one I seemed to like was Angela, she seems so sweet.

Intrigued for sure. He seemed to have a violent reaction to Bella an I wanted to know why.

I wanted to know what was up.

It took me a couple chapters to get into the story and get hooked, but I wouldn't say I was still trying to see what the fuss was about.
xxabbsxx
Settled in Forks

Post by xxabbsxx »

I didn't really relate with Bella right away, even though I did later on, but from the first moment she stepped in Forks High School, I felt completely in her shoes.

Renee seemed a little over-worried for my liking, but hey, that's her character and it works perfectly for the book. Charlie seemed like a nice dad that wasn't really used to talking to a teenage girl. He seemed shy at first, like he didn't know what to say around Bella.

Well, at first I figured that everyone was just trying to be nice and help her around. Later on in the lunchroom though, I disliked Jessica from the start, you could tell she was a bit on the snobby side. I loved Angela because she was a sweet, loving, innocent girl. Every boy besides Mike got really annoying, though I absolutely loved Mike. Although Mike might get alittle annoying at times, I couldn't help but love the fact that he wouldn't give up on Bella, it made the book even more funny.

Intrigued definately...I wanted to know more.

Well, I knew he was a vampire, so that was the obvious explanation. Also, in the book description it said "Part of him-- though I don't know how potent that part my be-- thirsted for my blood", and that sort of gave away why he was looking at her so strangely as well. I also figured that maybe he was SUPER hungrey at the time, not that Bella's blood was so mouth-wateringly delicious...

Oh, definately. I wanted to see how this turned out! You can't just expect me to put down the book at a somewhat-cliffhanger!!!
paxton26
Settled in Forks

Post by paxton26 »

I totally did. She has been through a lot of changes and is very mature for her age and I really identifed with that. I moved and changed high schools during my junior year so I know how daunting it can be and scary to make new friends and suddenly be the center of attention.

Renee seemed kind of spacey to me and maybe a little in her own world. I thought Charlie seemed like a nice guy but not really sure how to raise a teenage daughter.

I thought they seemed nice, like typical high school kids. I thought it was funny how all the boys were crushing on her. Having switched high schools my junior year I can say that is so true. A new girl creates all this excitement for some reason, esp. in a small town.

Def. intrigued and captivated!

I couldn't wait to find out what would happen and what his story was!

I was already hooked, I could def. tell that it was going to be an awesome book and I think a few chapters in I raced out to buy the next book lol.
Forever Team Edward
Settled in Forks

Post by Forever Team Edward »

I did relate to Bella very well, I have never wanted to be the center of attention and I can always find something to trip over.

I found Renee to be a bit of an immature person, and it seems that Bella was more of a parent then Renee, I think she really needs to grow up, but I can also see that she is always full of spunk which i really liked. I think Charlie is just a very quiet person that never really got over Renee.

I thought they were all very nice to Bella and very Welcoming.

I was very intrigued with Edward, I have always been a very curious person.

I figured that it had something to do with him being a vampire, the back cover gave that away.

I was hooked from the first few pages,and as soon as we were introduced to Edward i realized i was going to read every book in the series.
A Few of My Favorite Twilight Quotes and Pictures
E<3B
Riddalyn
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Riddalyn »

I did. My friends actually say I'm a lot like her, so it was easy for me to get into her character.

I thought Renee was a just your typical, worried mother. I didn't really know what to think about her at first. I thought Charlie was cool, because he was excited for Bella to visit, bought her a welcoming present, and lets her do her own thing. I really liked him.

I thought Eric was funny. I thought Mike was cute. Jessica was annoying, and a lot like many of my friends. I loved Angela right away.

I was honestly a little confused. I thought to myself, Bella seems perfectly okay, what is his problem? Then that confusing turned into intrigue when I realized that I really, really wanted to know why he was so hostile.

I thought he was acting strangely, and wanted to know why. Because by reading the back of the book (which I usually don't do) I had gathered that Bella falls in love with him. At this point I was like, What?

Well, when I checked it out from my school library, there hadn't been a huge uproar yet. I hadn't ever heard anything about it, so I didn't know there was a fuss. Suffice it to say, I was completely hooked. I'm really glad I was.
Team Jake - Because I Can Take The HEAT