A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Team Edward Girl
Buying a Better Raincoat

Re: Chapter 2 ~ Open Book

Post by Team Edward Girl »

1. What was your first explanation for the change in Edward's eye color?
~I had thought he'd run away somewhere, and at first I'd been curious as to where and why.

2. We learn a few things about Bella's parents in this chapter. Charlie can't cook - Renee is rather needy and so on. What does this tell us about Bella as an individual?
~I always thought that this shows she's independent because she takes responsiblity for people like Charlie and Renee

3. What was your reaction to the polite way Edward treated Bella when he returned? Did you think he was putting on a show? How did it change your thoughts about his initial reaction to her?
~I was like WTH!?! It through me for a loop and made want to read more.

4. What was your first explanation for the change in Edward's eye color?
~I'd thought his eyes had changed color depending on his mood at first.
"I see you lying next to me with words I thought I'd never speak; awake and unafraid asleep or dead" -Famous Last Words" My Chemical Romance
fanMNM
Veggie-Vampire

Post by fanMNM »

1. Where did you think Edward had gone off to at the start of the chapter and why did you think he had vanished?

I definitely knew Edward had left because of Bella...but at the time I wasn't sure why exactly. I figured the Cullens had access to any number of places to disappear to so I had no idea where he had gone.

2. We learn a few things about Bella's parents in this chapter. Charlie can't cook - Renee is rather needy and so on. What does this tell us about Bella as an individual?

I definitely thought it showed her independent and adult nature. She was a caregiver and felt the need to take care of those around her, no matter their role in her life or their age. She was obviously more mature than most people her age and it was second nature for her to be supportive and step into a role where she was needed.

3. What was your reaction to the polite way Edward treated Bella when he returned? Did you think he was putting on a show? How did it change your thoughts about his initial reaction to her?

I was curious and had no idea what to make of it. I figured he had disappeared and dealt with whatever issues he had in his first impression of Bella...I thought he was attracted to her actually...and I thought he left because he didn't want to be attracted to her. I thought his coming back signified he either thought he could get over his issues or he was giving into them.

I definitely thought it was relevant somehow and figured it had to do with feeding.

Thank you Naureen!!
Jazzy
Learning to Love Green
Location: Vancouver, BC (Where New Moon is being filmed YEAH!!)

Post by Jazzy »

1. Where did you think Edward had gone off to at the start of the chapter and why did you think he had vanished?

I thought he either hid at home or ran away somewhere to avoid Bella, but I was not sure where.
I remember being anxious when I was reading and impatient for him to return already!

I could tell that Bella was a responsible, caring person. I was very impressed by her cooking abilities too :D

I was sooo glad when he started talking to her. I LOVED how Bella kept stammering and acting like an idiot cos she kept getting dazzled by him. I thought he was sincere, and I knew he was making an effort to make up for his behavior the first day.

I thought it had to do with his moods, how he was feeling, nothing to do with feeding
Team Edward: Cos I love stupid shiny Volvo owners

Private Nichole Silver of Team PG - Jasper's Confederate Army Second Rank
readmymind
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by readmymind »

I thought he was just skipping school. Hiding out at home, or wherever I thought vampires lived back then.

She had to learn to become grown-up and independent at a young age

He can talk! Nicely! LOL. I would have been surprised, but I knew the book was about their relationship so they needed to talk sometime.

Mood, Feeding, I honestly don't remember
Midnight Sun: She was dreaming of me. And it wasn't even a nightmare. She wanted me stay with her, there in the dream.--Edward Cullen
Hawaii214
Wandering Through Town

Post by Hawaii214 »

I thought he might be at the Meadow. I dont think he disappeared though just went somewhere to go think about what to do. :roll:

She is really mature for her age and that her parents need her more then she needs them. ;)

I thought it was his alternate mood swings. At first i thought maybe he was trying to lure her into a trap and kill her. It sorta was confusing, and weird. :?

Well alot of people said it was his mood or feeding, but i thought it was just a natural vampire thing. :|
"Death, that hath Sucked the Honey from thy Breath, hath had no Power yet upon thy Beauty"-Edward Cullen
"Enjoying the Bouquet, while Resisting the Wine"-Edward Cullen
saturnsugar16
Settled in Forks

Post by saturnsugar16 »

Honestly, I wasn't really sure where he'd disappeared to. It seemed dumb that he would ditch class or leave school because he had a problem with some new girl.

Bella definetly has to be mature for a 17 year old. She has to be the cook and house keeper with Charlie. And she has to be the "adult" with her mother.

I thought it was rather strange how he was all of the sudden nice to her, but I didn't really think to much past that. Personally, if I were him and I was being fake nice, I would have said hello and probably not asked any more questions. It seemed like he was really interested in what she had to say though. I still thought his initial reaction was still very strange.

I guessed the same thing Bella did, I figured he had some kind of contacts.
Dorito
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by Dorito »

Wasn't really sure, it was like he suddenly became ill or something.

Typically that child would be needy as well, learning from the parents, however it seems that she fills the role to supporting the other. Cooking for Charlie, as she learned from Renee. Having to take care of Renee, like reminding her about picking up her blouse from the dry cleaner. Thusly learning how to take care of others allowing her to be more independent, like Charlie is.

Very mannered, as if she just took the whole first day wrong. New city, new school, new people, something gives. Seems extremely interested in her, given Mike's reactions, who obviously has grown attached to her. Although I thought Mike and Jessica were together at this point in the story.

Again, just Bella's mis-reaction the first day, reading everything wrong.
I'll be your Edward if you'll be my Bellas
sazykid
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by sazykid »

I really didn't know where he went. I thought it was weird that he would leave or switch classes just because he didn't like Bella.

This says that Bella is very independant and mature for her age.

I thought maybe Bella had misread his reaction to her, that maybe he was having a bad day when she first met him. I thought he was being real, he seemed interested in her and what she had to say.

I figured maybe Bella had just made a mistake. It seemed unlikely that anyone would have solid black eyes.
spiritwolf32
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by spiritwolf32 »

I knew he vanished because he didn't know how to deal with Bella. I didn't know where he would have gone. I just thought he was staying away from Bella.

She had to grow up fast instead of having time to be a child. That is why she acts more mature than some her age. Though there are some things she does that seems her age.

Everything Edward does is a show. The whole family has to put on a show. That is how they need to live in order to go to school/work and stay in one place so long. I also thought that maybe he couldn't stand the idea of someone thinking of him as horrible since he thinks of himself that way. So he tried to erase that first day and start over. He could have also been scared that if she started asking about him that some questions may come up and then get out of hand then lead to more horrible things.

I think i have heard about vamps having the color of their eyes before after the feed. It sounded familiar anyway. I wasn't really thinking about his eyes anyway.
peacelovetwilight
Wandering Through Town

Post by peacelovetwilight »

I had no idea but obviously I knew it was connected to his apparent hatred towards Bella.

It tells us that Bella had to grow up fast and as a result she doesn't really act like a typical teenager. It kind of explains why she doesn't relate well to people her own age because she probably never really had chance to be a real child.

Well I thought he was kind of strange. If I didn't know he was a vampire I would probably have thought he had a multiple personality disorder.

I didn't really have one. I knew it was a vampire thing.
Like a stalker. An obsessed stalker. An obsessed vampire stalker- Edward Cullen
Edward Cullen used to be my ideal guy. Then Robert Pattinson came along. Now Edward's number two.