A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
KaylaMarieBlack7
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Chapter 2 ~ Open Book

Post by KaylaMarieBlack7 »

1. Where did you think Edward had gone off to at the start of the chapter and why did you think he had vanished?
I wasnt sure where or why Edward just vanished the way he did. I knew it must have had something to do with Bella though. I mean why else would he have left?
2. We learn a few things about Bella's parents in this chapter. Charlie can't cook - Renee is rather needy and so on. What does this tell us about Bella as an individual?
I didnt really learn much abouther personality. I know that she is pretty shy since she is coming from a new school. She doesn't seem needy. She knows how to cook, which means she must know how to take care of herself.
3. What was your reaction to the polite way Edward treated Bella when he returned? Did you think he was putting on a show? How did it change your thoughts about his initial reaction to her?
I thought that it was really weird how he could come back and be so nice to Bella. I did think that he was just putting on a show. I didnt understand why he would be nice if he just hated her.
4. What was your first explanation for the change in Edward's eye color?
I just thought that it was something normal. I know that some people have eyes that can change color. So i thought he was like that.
I ♥ Jacob Black.
Ever since New Moon. =]
EllaMinnowPee
Settled in Forks

Post by EllaMinnowPee »

Alphie wrote:1. Where did you think Edward had gone off to at the start of the chapter and why did you think he had vanished?

I had no idea where Edward had gone. It annoyed me, actually. I wanted to learn more about him.

2. We learn a few things about Bella's parents in this chapter. Charlie can't cook - Renee is rather needy and so on. What does this tell us about Bella as an individual?

This part made me feel better about Bella's mom. It occurred to me that Bella was taking care of her mom instead of the other way around. She had to grow up faster than most other kids, and therefore her decision to move to Forks seemed mature and well-thought-out.

Charlie still seemed bumbling and overwhelmed to me. He still seemed like an unimportant character, just someone who was there because a 17-year-old would still live with her parents.

3. What was your reaction to the polite way Edward treated Bella when he returned? Did you think he was putting on a show? How did it change your thoughts about his initial reaction to her?

I figured he was trying to make up for his hateful behavior of their first meeting. I didn't get the sense that he was putting on a show- it seemed genuine to me. It was still confusing though. I'm happy Stephenie explained it all eventually.

I just thought that when Edward was angry or feeling hateful, his eyes were a different color than when he wasn't. Maybe it was just a trait that vampires happened to have. It's easy to take liberty with myths. I didn't even think about hunger.
Twilove

Post by Twilove »

1. Where did you think Edward had gone off to at the start of the chapter and why did you think he had vanished?
i just thought he was home not going to school because Bella was making things to hard on him

2. We learn a few things about Bella's parents in this chapter. Charlie can't cook - Renee is rather needy and so on. What does this tell us about Bella as an individual?that she became very naruatic from her parents

3. What was your reaction to the polite way Edward treated Bella when he returned? Did you think he was putting on a show? How did it change your thoughts about his initial reaction to her?he just had to get some time tog et his head together and after that he thought it would be safe to talk to her but i doubt he thought it would go as far as it did

4. What was your first explanation for the change in Edward's eye color?i already knew he was a vampire so i just assumed it had something to do with his mood
amandaxcullen

Post by amandaxcullen »

I though he was pissed because he couldn't get out Biology with Bella and I thought he was going to leave and never come back, I was waaayy worried.

She's the exact opposite of her parents, which are the exact opposite of each other, ha.

If I was Bella, I'd think he was bipolar or something, but I thought it was nice that he at least came back.

I thought when he was angry they turned black, and when he was in a good mood they were topaz.
Team Jacob!
Because a space heater has more potential than a rock.
Galinda
Settled in Forks

Post by Galinda »

I just thought that he simply skipped school because of whatever problem he had with Bella.

It told me that she is much more mature and grown up like other people her age and this was something which made me really like her.It also told me that she has her own life under control (as far as control works in life) and that she would probably react better in the situations in which she would end up in.

I thought he was putting on a show because I couldn't see a reason for his initial reaction. Therefore it must have been somthing instinctive and to change that in just a few days seems quite hard to me...

I put it on his mood. Black eyes meant crabby mood and golden eyes meant good mood.
The key to being beautiful is to hang around with really ugly people.
LizCA217
Settled in Forks

Post by LizCA217 »

I knew he hadn't gone for good because that'd be the end of the book! I wasn't sure where he went, I don't think I came up with a good theory.

That she's had to take on a more adult role early in life and take care of her parents as though she were in the parent role sometimes.

I did think it was sort of a show. I didn't know exactly why he was so harsh in the beginning so I was still wondering why he was that way and then suddenly being nice.

I had a feeling that it had to do with his 'thirst' level. I also thought it might have been as she assumed, darker when he was angrier.
Hearts in red ink.
Wandering Through Town

Post by Hearts in red ink. »

]1. Where did you think Edward had gone off to at the start of the chapter and why did you think he had vanished?
I just assumed he skipped school and went home, I knew it had something to do with Bella of course.
I thought it was both odd and funny. :lol:

Both of those things about Charlie & Renee, showed us why Bella is the way she is.
She took on a lot of adult responsibilities with the way her parents are.

It freaked me out, I was shocked because at first he was acting very rude towards her like he hated her.
Then he came back was the perfect gentlemen, I thought it was a show and I was interested in why he was behaving so oddly.

I figured it was a mood thing.
RebeccaCullen
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by RebeccaCullen »

It annoyed me that he left, even with the minim interaction between Bella and him. I wasn't sure where he went the fist time I read, it just seemed off he would get up and go. It made me think that there was more to his response then met the eye.

It says that Bella became the parent somewhere along the way and she was fine with it. To me it seemed that she liked taking care of someone. With Renee, she was the emotional support she needed until Phil came along. Charlie being unable to cook, at first read means nothing, but after finishing the series, it seems to fall into place for him and for her. She ends up with less actual food in her then ever.

I was thinking 'what the *insert curse word here*' he was a completely rude and now he wants to be something like BFF's. At first it did seem like he was putting on a show, but i think when those guys in Port Angeles tried to hurt her, and he saved her the show was over. I still thought he was rather a little rude.

It was either something he ate or from where ever he had gone or it was contacts even if he said they weren't.
littlenudger
Settled in Forks

Post by littlenudger »

i honestly did not know where Edward had gone! I just remember thinking that he had something to hide and that he was very hostile. I thought that he had vanished because he could not stand Bella and he just wanted to get away from her.

I believe that it tells us that she had to grow up kinda fast. She knew how to take care of herself. She was almost the responsible adult when it came to her relationship with her mom. So when she came to live with charlie, she was already established(as established as you can be as a 17 year old).

Again i was kinda confused with why he was acting so strangely. I did not think he was putting on a show i just thought that maybe he had changed his mind and realized that she was not an awful person. I really kinda of stayed a little confused while i read this first part of this book :oops:

oooooo his eye color..... well i thought that he might have some kinda of thing where his eyes changed with his mood.
E<3B
Alice Cullen Quirkier than you since 1901
Yes, because a vampire slumber party is the pinnacle of safety conscious behavior.
paxton26
Settled in Forks

Post by paxton26 »

I wasn't sure where he'd gone but after his intial reaction to Bella I assumed it was to get away from her for awhile.

I thought that Bella was extremely mature for her age. Basically having to parent her parents I think that put a lot of pressure on her to be a grown up.

I wasn't sure what was up. From his first reaction I thought he had feelings for her but I wasn't sure what the hostility was toward her in the first chapter and then his change in the second chapter.

I thought that maybe he had eaten and that maybe it also explained his suddenly nice behavior toward Bella.