A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
lunamia
Wandering Through Town

Re: Chapter 2 ~ Open Book

Post by lunamia »

1. Where did you think Edward had gone off to at the start of the chapter and why did you think he had vanished?
No idea at that point..I wasnt worried because I knew he was coming back.

2. We learn a few things about Bella's parents in this chapter. Charlie can't cook - Renee is rather needy and so on. What does this tell us about Bella as an individual?
It told me that she had to grow up faster than others. A mature, responsible seventeen year old.

3. What was your reaction to the polite way Edward treated Bella when he returned? Did you think he was putting on a show? How did it change your thoughts about his initial reaction to her?
Honestly, I didnt know what to make of it. I was just happy that they were interacting. :)

4. What was your first explanation for the change in Edward's eye color?
Again, I thought it had to do something with him being a vampire but it was too early in the book for me to really know anything.
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

1. Where did you think Edward had gone off to at the start of the chapter and why did you think he had vanished?
The first day or so, I figured he was just ditching. Once it got past that, I wasn't sure. You obviously know he comes back, but what the heck!?!?!?
2. We learn a few things about Bella's parents in this chapter. Charlie can't cook - Renee is rather needy and so on. What does this tell us about Bella as an individual?
You see that she is used to taking care of others while putting herself further down the list. That's really very key.
3. What was your reaction to the polite way Edward treated Bella when he returned? Did you think he was putting on a show? How did it change your thoughts about his initial reaction to her?
Again with the intrigue! Just like Bella, I couldn't wrap my head around the 180. And, then, when he just walks out at the end of class, without any other word. Argh!
I attributed it to some sort of mistake by Bella. I thought her perception of his behavior in biology "colored" (sorry for the pun :oops: ) her perception of his eye color.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
alima
Wandering Through Town

Post by alima »

I honestly had no idea where he went. I just figured it was because of Bella. I was kind of obvious.

Bella is very grown up and is the "parent" and well as the child. She has learned how to take care of herself and her family.

I thought Edward was trying to be nice because he had been so rude before. I didn't think he was putting on a show so much as trying to make up for being so rude. I don't think I really had a change of though about how he treated her yet.

I had already heard that he was a Vampire so I figured it had something to do with eating. I didn't know much beyond that though.
Kimmygirl23
Settled in Forks

Post by Kimmygirl23 »

He was gone because of Bella, that was for sure, but I didn't know why...because I knew he was a vampire but he could live next to other students just fine, so why Bella? I was confused...And I thought he was at home.

That Bella had to grown up to fast because of her mother, and that's why I don't like her mother..she's to selfish...
That Charlie can't cook isn't that shocking...a lot of dad's can't haha

I just thought he had thought it true how to handle Bella, and tried to erase his first reaction by being overly nice.

I just thought it was because of the vampire thing, that the color changed all the time
~TEAM EDWARD~
sleepingshadow
Settled in Forks

Post by sleepingshadow »

Based on how he behaved in the first chapter, I just assumed he needed to distance himself from Bella so he was skipping school. At the time, I didn't think that he was going hunting.

It is evident that Bella grew up too quickly as a result of her parents' behavior. She is very independent and headstrong. Likewise, I think it sort of defines the type of marriage that Renee and charlie had initially...one individual's strength's were the others' weaknesses and vice versa. But after the two split, Renee shifted her dependency to Bella.

I thought he genuinely felt bad for his inexplicable behavior before his absence and wanted more than anything to clear the air (which he obviously couldn't) and start over fresh. While the behavior struck me as a little weird, I figured it was all because he was initially overwhelmed by her presence.

As a reader, I knew going into it that Edward was a vampire. I wasn't certain what force was causing his eyes to change color. I didn't know if it was because he was angry, thirsty, or as a direct result of something to do with the weather (like potential for sunlight).
Nerd
Fishing with Charlie

Post by Nerd »

I had NO idea. Obviously I wasn't aware of the Denali clan up in Alaska. ;P I thought maybe he was at home brooding.

I definitely understood better just how independent she had to be. Her mother acts almost like her little sister, and her father is just kind of clueless. :o They're loveable, but their behavior forced Bella to grow up way too quickly.

WTH!? That was essentially it. Lol. I was totally thinking that this guy needed to be on bi-polar meds, and I was slightly disappointed that he wasn't so jerky. Being nice was going to uncomplicate their relationship. Lol.

Mmmm... I'm 'exceptionally unobservent', so I doubt I noticed it at all. However, if I did, I probably attributed it to his mood or something.
Skank Bale Image Let's roll! | Klutzy Chanteus | Official member of the Dork Squad
Visit here & here DAILY to donate to my city! | Thoughts of a Twi-hard: A Blog of Rants
nightwingoracle
Settled in Forks

Post by nightwingoracle »

Having seen the movie, I knew he had left to avoid Bella...but I had no idea where he had gone...or how badly he thirsted for her.

It showed Bella as a caretaker, as someone who has had to mature faster than normal to take care of her parents, and as someone who probably has not had a ton of fun in her life. She obviously didn't have many (if any) close friends in Phoenix since we never read of her calling, writing, e-mailing, texting, etc... any old friends or hearing from them. She's a loner...but a responsible loner.

Edward always intrigues me, and his back and forth actions at this time were great fun to read as I tried to figure out everything behind them beyond just the movie depictions.

Having seen the movie first, I new what the change signified.
Sydflower
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by Sydflower »

I just thought he was staying home. We didn't know much about him at that point.

She is very responsible and has to take care of herself.

I still loved him. I was entranced lol. And confused.

I didn't have one. I just knew what he was.
sarah!
Digging the Castle Motif
Location: Tieing Derek in thunderball, having poke wars with Logan, and woiloping with sam!

Post by sarah! »

~I knew Edward was avoiding Bella, probably just staying at home.

~ Bella has a lot to live up to. Her parents cant do many things for themselves. Bella has to step up and be the parent in many situations.

~ I thought he was bipolar. jk jk jk. I just thought he was being oddly nice for some reason.

~ contacts.
ImageImage
BLF-Logan, Twinny-Chels, Jell-o! My Twi-guys-Derek and Logs, Lemur 4 LIFE!
4everklutzy
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by 4everklutzy »

I wasn't sure exactly where he was, but I figured he was avoiding Bella, trying to get a grip.

Bella has had to more of a parent than a child, to be the responsible one, the caregiver--I can relate. It made her grow up faster, become more mature. She loves her parents and is not resentful.

I didn't think that he was putting on a show. I thought that he got a grip on whatever it was and was just trying to be nice. He was going to have to sit next to her for the rest of the year.

I wasn't sure, but, having seen the movie, I figured it was a vampire thing.