A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Melody
Learning to Love Green

Re: Chapter 3 ~ The End

Post by Melody »

1. Did you feel a sense of foreboding in this chapter? At what point did you feel what was coming? Or did it take you by surprise?
I did! I was on tenterhooks the entire time! As soon as Jasper was taken out of the room and the way Edwards face was described - I knew it from there!

2. Just as Bella did, have you ever felt that subconscious desire to grasp a hold of a relationship slipping away?
Not as of yet :lol: Never had a relationship with a beautiful vampire...though I'm always on the lookout of course!

3. Edward speech was definitely a harsh one, but did it grasp reality for you as it did for Bella? Or were you expecting him to run back to her at any moment? Did you believe him as readily as Bella did?
I was hoping that he would run back to her. But once she started running around looking for him I knew that he must have been far away - how could he stand to listen to her scream his name and not return? I put myself in the position of Bella at the point. I would have believed him.

4. When Sam appeared during the search, describe your gut reaction to his presence.
:shock: :o "what is he doing there?!"

5. Describe your reaction as you read the "months" pages
I had been crying from the start of the breakup speech and I was just about sobbing during the months pages. It was horrible :cry: :cry: Great effect - kudos to SM - couldn't have done it any other way IMHO

Mel xo

Team Edward - because real men sparkle ;)
Trainee in "Emmetts Demolition Crew"
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by corona »

1. Did you feel a sense of foreboding in this chapter? At what point did you feel what was coming? Or did it take you by surprise?
In this chapter, the foreboding runs throughout as Edward constantly keeps his distance. My first bad feeling occurs during the second chapter when Bella asks Edward to leave the room. Big Mistake! Edward just had his brother attack Bella and he ended up causing her further harm while trying to protect her. Bella now tries to protect Edward from the pain of smelling her blood? Speaking from a guy’s point of view, that would have been completely emasculating. I wasn’t sure exactly how he was going to react, but I knew from that moment it wasn’t going to be good.

2. Just as Bella did, have you ever felt that subconscious desire to grasp a hold of a relationship slipping away?
Yes.

3. Edward speech was definitely a harsh one, but did it grasp reality for you as it did for Bella? Or were you expecting him to run back to her at any moment? Did you believe him as readily as Bella did?
I knew this was his reaction to the birthday party, so I had no doubt he was lying through his teeth. It also didn’t hurt that I “accidentally” lost my place in the book and eyeballed the last few chapters. I didn’t expect him to come back, but you keep hoping until Sam shows up. By the way, I know Edward doesn’t understand just how damaging all of this is to Bella, but I thought him telling Bella that Alice was out of the picture was particularly, though unintentionally, cruel; it was like he was saying that Bella was worth nothing at all outside of their relationship.

4. When Sam appeared during the search, describe your gut reaction to his presence.
Uh oh, looks like Edward really hit the road.

5. Describe your reaction as you read the "months" pages.
Been there, done that, don’t like to think about it too much.
"It will take an amazing amount of control,” she mused. “More even than Carlisle has. He may be just strong enough…the only thing he’s not strong enough to do is stay away from her. That’s a lost cause.”
Gochiruzeru
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Gochiruzeru »

I knew what was coming, and I definitely felt how foreboding this chapter was...

Yes, I have. It's not fun.

I already knew about the book's plot, so yes, I took him seriously. I was really sad for Bella when it happened. I think it was pretty mean of Edward to bring her out into the woods and then just leave her there, especially when he knew how accident prone she is. He should have told her in a safer place.

I didn't have much of one. He seemed alright.

Very sad... Poor Bella...
skatepixie
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by skatepixie »

Yes. Just the chapter title alone was enough to scare me into thinking that something might be seriously wrong. But I didn't know what that was.

No, I never have. I've been *very* blessed in terms of love -- my husband is the only guy that I ever had a real relationship with.

I didn't believe him at all. I thought that he was trying to protect Bella by getting her to believe that he didn't love her -- but there was no way in the world that he meant it. And yes, I very much expected him to show up at any moment.

I found him intimidating, and I wondered where he would show up again in the story.

I thought it was a very clever idea. I was also shocked that Edward hadn't come back in MONTHS and I wondered what was going to happen. I was also struck by the idea of how empty Bella was during this time.
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

Yes absolutely. The title made me think it was bad. I honestly didn't think it would be that bad, though. I didn't think he'd be stupid enough to think she'd be safe by herself.

I thought she should have done more sooner to make Edward talk about what happened.

No, I didn't believe a word of it. It says a lot for her self esteem that she believed him so easily.

I thought he was the thing that had been sniffling in the forest.

They were depressing.
Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!

Post by Edwards Ragazza »

When reading this chapter you definetly start to feel a different tone. My mood started to shift and I found my breathing to skip a little.

No but now with my husband I would if it ever came to that.

I didn't believe him like Bella did. I thought he might have still been watching her through the woods.

What is he to this story? Just didn't know where he was going to fit in.

At first I thought there was a typo. I looked at all the months and then I came to chapter 4, when back to the last few lines before the month appears on the opposite page, I was thinking what the heck? Then I realized OMG months have gone by realizing Bella is alone without Edward.I could feel the depression filling my body up and knowing what that is like. SM was brilliant here, and delivered exactly the emotion, that we, as the readers, should be filling, just like Bella.
Banner by TammyAZ