A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Riddalyn
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Chapter 3 ~ The End

Post by Riddalyn »

1. Did you feel a sense of foreboding in this chapter? At what point did you feel what was coming? Or did it take you by surprise?
At first, I was sure he'd get over it. I thought he was just being Moody, old Edward. And then it kept going, and I knew he would leave. I knew Bella was wrong, that he wasn't going to ask her to go with him.

2. Just as Bella did, have you ever felt that subconscious desire to grasp a hold of a relationship slipping away?
I have never felt that kind of love and connection with anybody, so answering this question seems hokey.

3. Edward speech was definitely a harsh one, but did it grasp reality for you as it did for Bella? Or were you expecting him to run back to her at any moment? Did you believe him as readily as Bella did?
At first, I refused to believe it. I knew he wouldn't run back to her, but I thought he'd come back in a few days and beg forgiveness and it would be all fine. Then, he said NO when she asked if he didn't want her, and I thought, "He's lying." But of course, he still didn't come back and I changed my mind, starting thinking he really had moved on, that he was really really gone, he didn't love her anymore. I confused myself, not knowing what to think.

4. When Sam appeared during the search, describe your gut reaction to his presence.
Well, I was confused about the sniffing thing, for one. And I didn't remember him from the few seconds he was in the previous book, so I really didn't think anything. My thought was, "Thank yoooou, Sam Uley."

5. Describe your reaction as you read the "months" pages.
Tears, tears, more tears. I know what it's like to feel the months slipping away from you, hardly even able to remember where they went, because they just didn't seem to matter anymore. The pain was real then, I felt it for Bella, for Edward, for everything. It was lost, hopeless. I thought it was a brilliant way to show time passing without it carrying any kind of significance.
Team Jake - Because I Can Take The HEAT
AliceCanSeeYou
Settled in Forks

Post by AliceCanSeeYou »

1. Did you feel a sense of foreboding in this chapter? At what point did you feel what was coming? Or did it take you by surprise?

I did feel a sense of foreboding in this chapter. I was soo worried that this was going to happen. I was thinking to myself "Please don't let him leave. That would be just the kind of stupid thing Edward would do." It was still a major blow when it actualy happened though. I was at my friend's house when I read it, she can tell you I just put the book down and said "No."

2. Just as Bella did, have you ever felt that subconscious desire to grasp a hold of a relationship slipping away?

I have never been in the same exact situation as Bella. I've never been as fortunate to feel the same pasionate love for Edward that she felt. But though I can't completly empithize, I can sympethize. I was in a relationship with someone I cared about a lot, and when they left, I felt the need not to change my patterns, as if if I didn't make any changes, they wouldn't change and walk away. Unfortuanatly they never came back like Edward.

3. Edward speech was definitely a harsh one, but did it grasp reality for you as it did for Bella? Or were you expecting him to run back to her at any moment? Did you believe him as readily as Bella did?

I am sad to say that I almost believed him. I don't think I could believe he did love her anymore, but I wasn't thinking he was coming back any time soon. =[

4. When Sam appeared during the search, describe your gut reaction to his presence.

I didn't think much of it.

5. Describe your reaction as you read the "months" pages

They were one of the sadest parts of the book for me. Just to know there weren't even words to describe the months...it frightened me.
Thake care of my heart--I've left it with you
emmettsbiggestfan
Learning to Love Green

Post by emmettsbiggestfan »

I'm not really sure when I knew it was coming, but as soon as I read Edward's speech, I was crying so much I had to put the book down in fear that I woud soak the pages and make the words unreadable.

I haven't had a major relationship, so I can't really relate to Bella.

When I read it, I wanted to punch him in the stomach because I knew he was hurting Bella, and I know it might seem cheesy, but it hurt me too. Bella and Edward are so perfect together that it doesn't seem right to have them with other people.

I was really confused when Sam was there. I didn't really think much of it though. I thought that Sam was one of Charlie's friends until I read more of the book.

I was crying through the month pages. Reading them made things seem much worse.
Proud Hand Laborer in EDC, Inc.
Private Vanessa Frost in Jasper's Confederate Army
Chocolatebrowneyes
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Chocolatebrowneyes »

Oh I saw it coming after Jasper attacked Bella so I wasn't surprised but it was SO mean and I knew he still loved her and he was only saying those things to make her let go but... :cry:

Yeah, I am embarrased that I did :oops: it was the worst relationship too...

Hell no I didn't believe him, I couldn't believe that he actually didn't love her. I knew he'd probably just curl up into a ball somewhere and wait for death but I had read the first 12 chapters of MS on SM website at this point as well, so you know...I had insight LOL

OOO there's the werewolf I've been waiting for! (I had been waiting since the legend part of Twilight for them)

That actually scared me I didn't think Edward would be gone so long and I wanted to know what was going on! I could tell, it was bad.
"Why won't you leave me alone?"
Believe me,I wanted to say. I've tried.
Oh, and also, I'm wretchedly in love with you.
Keep it light.

ImageImageImageImage
Mikaela
Settled in Forks

Post by Mikaela »

every time i read this chapter i cry, and cry, and then i have to read the end of new moon(my favorite part of the whole saga) for me to know that everything is ok and that EDWARD DOES LOVE BELLA. AND IT takes me a while to forgive edward, but like stephenie said he had to leave because that is really what he would have done and now he knows tha he REALLY CANNOT LIVE WITHOUT HER.

my favorite parts
"i'm so sorry because i hurt you, because i couldn't protect from what i am..."
"why can you believe the lie but not the truth."
"i have always loved you, i love you, and i will always love you"

is the end of new moon anyone's favorite part too? (BECAUSE EDWARD REALLY EXPRESSES HIS FEELINGS TOWARDS BELLA AND HE REALLY IS SORRY.) :D
JessRuby
Wandering Through Town

Post by JessRuby »

All I have to say is... I'm glad I'm not the only one who cried their eyes out.
"Marry me first."
"Okay. What's the punch line?"
"You're wounding my ego, Bella. I just proposed to you, and you think it's a
joke."
Carlyzmom
Settled in Forks

Post by Carlyzmom »

I totally agree! I was so depressed through this whole book! I cried for hours after I finished reading it. It took me a few days to get over it. Even after they got back together, I was still skeptical. I haven't started Eclipse yet - I hope it is better!
I have never read something that consumed me as much as these books have!!
Do I Dazzle you???
Forever_Twilight
Wandering Through Town
Location: Running as fast as I can with Edward and the Cullens on a cloudy day in Arizona

Post by Forever_Twilight »

Ah, this chapter took me by surprise too much. =/ I was actually going to through the book across my room because of what Edward did to Bella! I was gonna find him and take him here to AZ so he couldn't escape. =P (Sadly, that didn't go according to plan.)

I've never had a boyfriend so that's out of the question.
With a friendship, I've never had the desire to hold onto one because I either moved to another place, that person moved, or it wasn't working out. =/

It grasped my attention so much I think the book was less than two inches from my face. (Also I started saying, "No, no, no Edward!" and my mom was reading Twilight beside me and sad, "Oh no, not something sad!!" LOL)
I thought he would come back to her for sure, knowing how much he loved and needed her. Plus, he made a promise to her.

4. When Sam appeared during the search, describe your gut reaction to his presence?
I thought he was some hunter guy who maybe Charlie caught sight of and asked him to search for Bella. I would have never have guessed that he was apart of Jacob's werewolf clan.

One page: Darn, he hasn't returned!
Second page: Gosh dang it where is he?
Third page: He's not coming back, is he?
<3 I've been Vamped by Edward Cullen ~ Followed by Emmett and Jasper <3
Elisabeth33
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Elisabeth33 »

It took me by surprise.

I've never had a boyfriend so that's out of the question.
Yes, I have an intuition that tells me when something bad is about to happen. I can't tell what or when (other than soon).

I was crying, hard, but I didn't really realize it, I was so into the book. I knew what was going to happen at the end, more or less, because I'd read the spoilers on Wikipedia.org.

4. When Sam appeared during the search, describe your gut reaction to his presence?
Where it says she heard a snuffling that faded away, I realized later that was Sam in wolf form, and that's how he knew where she was, but the first time around, I was surprised to see him.

I started laughing because I thought it was a cute way to show how much time she'd gone without him and been in her "coma".
vampsaremylovers
Settled in Forks

Post by vampsaremylovers »

sorry for this but HELL NO!!!!! :cry: I love my Edward But I hated him in new moon.It was not coming for me.

I have ever have had a bf so no I'm a bella.

NO. NO. NO. I cried like a baby.

I didn't no or care who it was.

I was like dose it go on forever.