A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Cookies
Buying a Better Raincoat

Re: Chapter 3 ~ The End

Post by Cookies »

I hated this chapter/this book. I try to avoid it whenever possible lol. I can't blieve SMeyer cut Edward time to, like 6 chapters (I ain't countin'). I was really disappointed by this book and how Edward just dumped Bella. :(
"And so the lion fell in love with the lamb ..."

Hug me :)
Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3
Official Dog Lover!
Location: Barackling out with Bri and Brits, while making newbieness banners. Also trying out postahol.

Post by Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3 »

Chapter 3 ~ The End
by Alphie on Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:15 pm

Questions prepared by Cocoa

1. Did you feel a sense of foreboding in this chapter? At what point did you feel what was coming? Or did it take you by surprise? It took me by surprise. I was DEVASTED. :cry:

2. Just as Bella did, have you ever felt that subconscious desire to grasp a hold of a relationship slipping away?
No.

3. Edward speech was definitely a harsh one, but did it grasp reality for you as it did for Bella? Or were you expecting him to run back to her at any moment? Did you believe him as readily as Bella did? I was expecting him to run back. THANK GOODNESS HE DID. Otherwise I would've cryed and hunted SM down to rewrite it. lol

4. When Sam appeared during the search, describe your gut reaction to his presence. I thought WTH is this kid doing here? Like who is he?

5. Describe your reaction as you read the "months" pages. My mouth was like :o :shock: :o :shock: . I felt so bad for Bella. I wantd to cry. :cry:
urcoolcarrie
Acquiring a Taste for Mountain Lion

Post by urcoolcarrie »

1. Did you feel a sense of foreboding in this chapter? At what point did you feel what was coming? Or did it take you by surprise?
I knew something was up, but I had no idea that it was going to be this bad.

2. Just as Bella did, have you ever felt that subconscious desire to grasp a hold of a relationship slipping away?
I could probably say that about a friend I had. I felt like she was leaving, so I grasped on tighter. Also like Bella, my grasp didn't work.

3. Edward speech was definitely a harsh one, but did it grasp reality for you as it did for Bella? Or were you expecting him to run back to her at any moment? Did you believe him as readily as Bella did?
At first, I absolutely refused to believe he was gone. I kept reading and rereading through this chapter thinking "did that really happen?!" When I did realize that it was really happening, it hit me hard, and I just bawled.

4. When Sam appeared during the search, describe your gut reaction to his presence.
I didn't really think much of it at first. I almost wanted Bella to just lay there and have no one find her, because I still wished that Edward would just come running through the woods and pick her up, saying that he was sorry and that he made the wrong choice.

5. Describe your reaction as you read the "months" pages
I felt like I was going into depression. It struck me that this was it; I was never going to hear of Edward again.
HR Manager of EDC::Proud Klutzer::Midnight Sun Virgin
LoveYouMadly
Settled in Forks

Post by LoveYouMadly »

1. Did you feel a sense of foreboding in this chapter? At what point did you feel what was coming? Or did it take you by surprise?
I could definitely tell that something was up with Edward's drawn-out depressed and deep thinking attitude but was steam-coming-out-of-my-ears angry when he finally said he was leaving her in the forest. What?!
2awesome4u wrote: the first time i read the book, when that happened i immediately panicked :o and made sure edward came back. i flipped ahead in the book *cringe*, but i think it helped me enjoy it more, rather than the people who read it searching hungrily for Edward's name. i saw Jacob better, and now i like him so much more.
I also had to flip ahead and make sure. And I wouldn't say that I love Jacob but I don't hate him either. Knowing that Edward came back let me really appreciate Jake as a person and as Bella's friend. I like his character and am almost more annoyed with Bella in Eclipse when she insists on spending so much time with a guy that she knows is in love with her. How did she think that realationship as going to play out? I thought it was really irresponsible and undeservingly cruel to Edward.

Yes, sort of. But even if I hadn't I could understand why she was trying to hold on to their relationship. Bella's not stupid and even though she denied it in her thoughts deep down she knew something was changing.

3. Edward's speech was definitely a harsh one, but did it grasp reality for you as it did for Bella? Or were you expecting him to run back to her at any moment? Did you believe him as readily as Bella did?
With recent events (the paper cut incident) I could see why he would want to leave her but I didn't think that he would really do it! What surprised me more was that Bella accepted the lie without question, I didn't understand why she would think that he didn't want her anymore, even if she believes that she doesn't deserve him.

4. When Sam appeared during the search, describe your gut reaction to his presence.
SM spent more time talking about him than a writer would were that character not going to make another appearance so I assumed that he had some role later on. My gut reaction said that he was trouble.

The "months" pages were so affective! Each turn of the page was a punch in the gut and a tightening in the chest. I got this sick ache and was very empathetic toward Bella. SM couldn't have done that better, it made the whole experience more real than if she would have written about it. I can't imagine those months passing on the page any other way!
Here's to stolen bottlecaps, drug metaphors, and velvety soundwaves . . .
twilightbelle<3
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by twilightbelle<3 »

I knew it was coming, but I kept trying to tell myself that it wasn't! I have never felt such...emotion towards book before it was crazy. He was so distant! It just didn't make sense...I started freaking out, and flipped to the back of the book.

Of course, even in the worst of situations, you feel like you need to save what you can't. So...yeah.

3. Edward speech was definitely a harsh one, but did it grasp reality for you as it did for Bella? Or were you expecting him to run back to her at any moment? Did you believe him as readily as Bella did?
I wasn't thinking, "Oh yeah, he is going to go back to her" because I don't think he would play such a sick joke on her. I believed him, yep.

I just was like, "Wow...who is this guy?!" I mean, I was sure that Billy had told him something about the Cullens, and they had some sort of preconceived notion that the Cullens had something to do with this. But the fact that he was so willing to help Bella out, was just kind of shocking...

5. Describe your reaction as you read the "months" pages.
I felt bad...! It was so painful for her, that for months...she had nothing to say, no thoughts..just dead.
-shakes head- Thats love to its most dangerous extent! It just made me so much more eager to continue to read, just...it was like someone was gut-wrenching! :|
ImageImage
E<3B
twilightbelle<3
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by twilightbelle<3 »

Cookies wrote:I hated this chapter/this book. I try to avoid it whenever possible lol. I can't blieve SMeyer cut Edward time to, like 6 chapters (I ain't countin'). I was really disappointed by this book and how Edward just dumped Bella. :(
He dumped her because he believed that, that was what was in her best interest! This book probably was like...it takes time to grow on you. But we realize how much more deep their love for each other is!
ImageImage
E<3B
flutterbymonkeys`
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by flutterbymonkeys` »

I felt like Edward was going to do something drastic, but I didn't think it'd be something as drastic as that. It took me by surprise when he left.. and made me cry.

No, I didn't. I haven't been in a relationship yet....

For the first few chapters afterwards, I thought he may come back. But once we got farther in, I knew he wasn't coming back for a while.

Ok, to be honest, I wanted him to die. He ruined the moment for me..... I wanted to hear more of Bella's thoughts. LOl

I was like "WFT" I had no idea what was going on at first.
Lion+Lamb=Lochness Monster!
JN
Black Rose
Learning to Love Green

Post by Black Rose »

I knew something was coming. I couldn't out my fingure on what though. It didn't really take me by surprise when Edward finally told Bella he was leaving, but I teared up.

Yes. I knew exactly how Bella felt. New Moon could honestly be an alternate view of my life.

I was hoping beyond all hope that Edward would come back and wrap his arms around Bella and say "Never mind. I can't do this." But he never did...

I didn't really know much about Sam, so I was mostly wonering why he was even there. I thought that it would be Charlie that would find her and carry her back hom.

That was the part when I just out right cried. Ithought that Edward would be back in a few days, but that confirmed that he wasn't coming back.
golden x sunshine
Learning to Love Green

Post by golden x sunshine »

-i got a bad feeling from the beginning of the chapter, but i just didnt know what was wrong!

-nope.

-i dont know what i was expecting, i was just in total shock! i think i believed him then, but in my heart i knew he wouldnt ever stop loving bella.

-to be honest i didnt have one, i was still in shock from what had just happend for me to register anything about sam other then that he was the one who found bella.

-my mouth litterally dropped open, and i just stared at the pages for a couple minutes.
"when life offers you a dream so far beyond any of your expectations, it's not reasonable to grieve when it comes to an end."
-twilight
nikkilovestwilight
Settled in Forks

Post by nikkilovestwilight »

Oh i knew what was coming, as soon as he started becoming so distant towards her, i actually could sense it before this chapter even started...i was so sad...and when he actually left her, i was sobbing hysterically (so happy i was alone in my dorm at the time :? ) as bad as this sounds, i had to skip through the book till at least alice showed up again...yes, i did go back and read what i missed

wow, when i was reading this chapter i was without a doubt having many flash backs to previous relationships. And like bella, i did try as hard as i could to hold on, but its no use really, once a guy decides its over there really is no changing his mind

I knew he wasn't going to turn around, but i knew he didn't mean it. I'd read midnight sun before hand, so i was aware that he was only leaving her because he felt he had to in order for her to be safe.

honestly? i didn't care about who found her or who he was, i was too busy trying to read through my tears and sobbing ^_^

I knew how she felt. those months were full of existing, not living. She was just there, trying to function, but not really having much of a reason to. After all, the person she gave her heart to smashed it into dust and left her...if she could avoid feeling that pain, why wouldn't she