A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
altissimus
Settled in Forks

Re: Chapter One ~ Party

Post by altissimus »

1) When did you figure out that "Gran" was really Bella? Were you surprised by the fact that she was looking in a mirror, or did you see it coming?I don't think I actually caught that until the second time I read chapter 1. The first time, I just assumed that Gran had mysteriously transformed into Bella in a mirror, like people do in dreams.

2) Do you think that the dream foreshadows anything besides Bella's fear of growing too old for Edward?
Nope

3) Were you surprised that Edward wasn't with Bella when she woke up? Why did you think he wasn't there?

I wasn't surprised. I thought that after a while, they would stop spending every single minute with each other. I mean, if he spent every night in her room it would be a little wrong, in my mind.

4) What did you think about Jasper's careful avoidance of Bella before they opened presents? Had you expected them to be closer after the Phoenix trip?
Poor Jasper. I had hoped we would see more of his personality in this book. I thought he could deal with it, but maybe later.

5) What was your immediate reaction to the paper cut? What did you think about what happened after that?
"Oh dear," but then I counted the suddenly ravenous vampires and said "Carlisle will make everything good again."

6) What did you think the repercussions of Jasper's accidental attack would be? Did you think, like Bella did, that she simply wouldn't be allowed to spend time at the Cullen's house any more?
Seriously, I thought it was just an accident, and Bella would just have to be more careful around paper.

7) With all the mentions of Bella needing a new car, did you think that Edward had actually bought her one?

No. He knows she wouldn't let him, and besides, her truck is awesome.

8)What did you think about Bella's pleas for a celebration-less birthday? Did you think she was overreacting?
Yes. It kind of annoyed me.

9) What did you think when Bella said, "Well, maybe Alice will give me what I want?" What did you think about Edward's reaction to that?
This was before my third reread of Twilight, which was when I realized exactly how much Alice liked the idea of Bella becoming a vampire. So, at the time, I thought Alice would just go along with what Edward said.
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by navarre »

Alphie wrote:1) When did you figure out that "Gran" was really Bella? Were you surprised by the fact that she was looking in a mirror, or did you see it coming?

2) Do you think that the dream foreshadows anything besides Bella's fear of growing too old for Edward? Why or why not?

3) Were you surprised that Edward wasn't with Bella when she woke up? Why did you think he wasn't there?

4) What did you think about Jasper's careful avoidance of Bella before they opened presents? Had you expected them to be closer after the Phoenix trip?

5) What was your immediate reaction to the paper cut? What did you think about what happened after that?

6) What did you think the repercussions of Jasper's accidental attack would be? Did you think, like Bella did, that she simply wouldn't be allowed to spend time at the Cullen's house any more?

7) With all the mentions of Bella needing a new car, did you think that Edward had actually bought her one?

Cool What did you think about Bella's pleas for a celebration-less birthday? Did you think she was overreacting?

9) What did you think when Bella said, "Well, maybe Alice will give me what I want?" What did you think about Edward's reaction to that?

1) When she and the reflection were copying each others movements and facial expressions. When she mentioned a silver-gilded frame, that's when I suspected a mirror or something.

2) No. We dream our fears, so I was all I thought at the time.

3) I did not think about it. He may have been hunting.

4) I figured he would return to his normal behavior, I did not take it as dislike - just caution.

5) I thought 'oh no'. Because something in the way SM was building up to that scene told me that something bad was going to happen. b) that things were about to change. Edward, I feel, was looking for a reason to leave, not to be mean, but like he knew this would prove his point in the danger of Bella in his life and vice versa.

6) When Edward came back into the kitchen after going to locate Jasper, and his expression was all wrong, I knew he had decided his course of action. Not good.

7)No.

8)Yes. I frankly thought she was ridiculous and should have shown a little more grace in the whole thing.

9) I understood his reaction. Bella was going to go against his wishes for her transformation and they still have not come to terms with her becoming a vampire.
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
Cookies
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Cookies »

1) When did you figure out that "Gran" was really Bella? Were you surprised by the fact that she was looking in a mirror, or did you see it coming?
I can honestly and sincerely say that I got it when she actually mentioned that she was "Gran". Wow, I was glad to have an insight into the mysterious dreams of Bella Swan-Cullen-Masen.

2) Do you think that the dream foreshadows anything besides Bella's fear of growing too old for Edward? Why or why not?
I think that it is mainly just the fact she may grow old and Edward wouldnt age at all.

Yeah, I was. I was getting used to Eddie being there every time Bella woke up. I think he couldve been hunting to save himself from temptation later.

No, not really. Jasper didnt really have that big a speaking role in Twilight, so I didnt know much about his and Bellas relationship.

I thought to myself " Wow, I know Edward is prone to overreacting from time to time, but ... WOW." I think that Jazz would've felt so guilty for lashing out like that. And Edward wouldve been angry at him >;[ But I don't think Jazz is to blame. His reactions were completely human, I mean, vampire.

I thought that Jasper would've distanced himself more from Bella, but that was all. I didnt expect the WHOLE cullen family to just move away.

No, I don't think Bella wouldve accepted it anyway.

Cool What did you think about Bella's pleas for a celebration-less birthday? Did you think she was overreacting?
I kind of see where she is coming from. I don't like getting all the attenition when it is my birthday,

9) What did you think when Bella said, "Well, maybe Alice will give me what I want?" What did you think about Edward's reaction to that?
I laughed. At her immaturity. Just ... haha.
"And so the lion fell in love with the lamb ..."

Hug me :)
Black Rose
Learning to Love Green

Post by Black Rose »

1) When did you figure out that "Gran" was really Bella? Were you surprised by the fact that she was looking in a mirror, or did you see it coming?

I fugured out it was Bella alittle before Bella herself did. I think it was when Gran didn't react to Edward that it finally clicked. I was very surprised that it was a mirror and I had the same scared reaction as Bella.

I just thought it was Bella's worst fear coming out in a nightmare because I was in denial that she wouldn't eventually become a vampire.

I was so used to Edward being there that, yes, I was very surprised. I think he was either with Alice discussing the party plans and how to get Bella there or he was out hunting.

I wasn't surprised by his unchangd behavior, but I was disappointed. I thought that they had grown closer, but he was still being very careful.

I didn't think it was going to be as big of a deal as it ended up being. I knew that it was bad, but Jasper's reaction truely scared me.

I thought that it would all blow over. This is a house full of vampires so it was bound to happen sooner or later. I thought Edward would be very careful with Bella and Jasper would keep his space away from her for some time and then things would go back to normal.

I just thought he was complaining again. I knew he had plans to get her a new car, but I didn't think it would come in New Moon.

8) What did you think about Bella's pleas for a celebration-less birthday? Did you think she was overreacting?

Bella doesn't like any attention so I knew why she was begging for no party, but I still think that she should have just gone along with it and let the Cullen's have their fun.

I knew that Bella was right because Alice wants her to become a vampire. But Edward would stop Alice before she could do anything.
golden x sunshine
Learning to Love Green

Post by golden x sunshine »

1) When did you figure out that "Gran" was really Bella? Were you surprised by the fact that she was looking in a mirror, or did you see it coming?
-haha, i didnt know bella was gran until she actually said it, i was so oblivious.

-i think it was pretty much just foreshadowing her fear of growing too old for edward. if it was foreshadowing anything else i didnt catch it.

-yes i was really suprised actually, hes usually always with her in the morning. i figured he was off hunting.

-after the phoenix trip i definetly expected bella and jasper to be closer, so i was a little suprised when jasper was keeping his distance from her.

-i thought ohh no! thats not good ! i didnt expect it to turn into such a big deal, that was really shocking.

-i figured bella just wouldnt be seeing as much of the cullens anymore, i didnt think anything beyond that.

-no, for some reason i just knew she wasnt getting a car for her birthday.

8)Cool, What did you think about Bella's pleas for a celebration-less birthday? Did you think she was overreacting?
-i thought she was overreacting a little bit, yes. but...i wouldnt be bella if she didnt fight it the way she did.

9) What did you think when Bella said, "Well, maybe Alice will give me what I want?" What did you think about Edward's reaction to that?
-haha i knew that would make edward mad ! he always gets so upset when ever anyone mentions anything about bella becoming a vampire.
"when life offers you a dream so far beyond any of your expectations, it's not reasonable to grieve when it comes to an end."
-twilight
alice_is_my_homegirl
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by alice_is_my_homegirl »

Not for a LOOOOONG time. After a while into the dream I saw it coming.

2) Do you think that the dream foreshadows anything besides Bella's fear of growing too old for Edward? Why or why not? No. It was pretty specific.

I thought he was just going to go change and get the car before she woke up.

4) What did you think about Jasper's careful avoidance of Bella before they opened presents? Had you expected them to be closer after the Phoenix trip? I hadn't realized it until now that you pointed it out.

I was like, "Oh no!" I agreed that Edward is very masochistic sometimes.

6) What did you think the repercussions of Jasper's accidental attack would be? Did you think, like Bella did, that she simply wouldn't be allowed to spend time at the Cullen's house any more? I had no clu, but I didn't think that they would be that drastic!

Yes
A little

9) What did you think when Bella said, "Well, maybe Alice will give me what I want?" What did you think about Edward's reaction to that? I knew what she was talking about. His reation was a little over the top.
Team Edward: Bringing Sexy Back Since 1901!
prairiesentry
Settled in Forks

Post by prairiesentry »

1) I knew almost immediately that Gran was Bella. not sure exactly what tipped me off, I guess the whole frame thing.

2) I think it hints at her insecurity, that Edward doesn't want her enough to keep her forever. that she's just a plaything for him, something to occupy his time for a while. She still doesn't understand his pull to her

3)I didn't think that it was terribly significant, he may have been hunting, or like some other people have said, gone home to change & get the car.

4) Even during the phoenix trip, he was never chummy. and we don't know how thirsty he was at the time of the party. I didn't see Jasper as the type to very affectionate, even if his thirst is under control. so I wasn't surprised

5) I could see the snowball effect. I knew it would be catastrophic. I was blindsided when Edward decided to leave though. I sat up sharply and gasped "NO!" I just refused to believe he would leave.

6)definitely Not the Cullens leaving. Maybe no more visits to the cullen house or Jasper not being there when she did visit

7) I think he actually mentioned that her Radio gets terrible reception. I had a feeling the gift would be somewhere along that path

8) I'm not sure how she was on her other birthdays, but I've been in a relationship where the other person was younger than me & truthfully I felt a little smug that I was gaining another year on them. I can see where Bella would feel that being 18 over Edward's 17 would make her feel that the relationship was even more out of balance.

9)I think he acted out of fear, knowing Alice as he did, I don't he doubted that she would give Bella immortality if he wasn't careful.

One additional question I have is, when Edward tells Bella to behave, cause the last birthday they celebrated was Emmett in 1935.

Didn't Rosalie find Emmett on the cusp of death? did he have a birthday during his transformation? or was this a minor slip on SM's part (which I doubt). this line keeps haunting me.

any thoughts?
CharmingBella
Settled in Forks

Post by CharmingBella »

I guess I was a little bit distracted when I started reading, so it never really occured to me that Gran was really Bella. But when I read it through again it was kinda obvious.

No not really, just her fear of growing to old for Edward.

I wasnt' suprised at all that Edward wasn't with Bella when she woke up, I mean he might have been hunting or something else with his family. It would be a little strange for him to be their with her every night I think.
I think it was the responsible thing for Jasper to be careful around Bella, I'm sure he wouldn't want to put her in any danger to trying to be cautious was the right thing to do. I didnt' think they would be that close really after the trip because she did have to sneak past him and Alice both to go and meet James, so the trust issue was something that still needed to be worked on a little. But I think it all worked out ok in the end.

Oh crap! was my first reaction, I just kept thinking how all those vampires were going to keep in control, it would have been horrible to have to go through. Well I think everything after it happened was a little crazy but it seems to have worked itself out for the best.

I honestly just thought that Bella's time at the Cullen house would just be limited a little bit, I did not think the course of action that was taken was the best one at all.

yes, I knew he would probably buy her one anyway.
Yes, she was, and it was very irritating ans selfish.
I thought that Bella was acting like a spoiled little brat actually, when you can't get what you want from someone, just run to someone you know will give it to you. I thought Edward's reaction was justifiable.
lunamia
Wandering Through Town

Post by lunamia »

When they were doing the same things at the same time. I was not surprised though.

I dont know, Bella is afraid of getting old that much we know. Maybe it it foreshadows a change in the near future.
I didnt think about it at the time. I just figured he was getting ready for school or something of that nature.

I dont think Jasper was avoinding Bella, he was just keeping his distance since it is harder for him to be around humans. And for all we know Edward might have asked him to please be careful and keep a safe distance from Bella. Who knows..Jasper was "close" to Bella in Phoenix because the circumstances were different. Maybe he was distracted by the fact that a killer was hunting them.

My immediate reaction was "Seriously Bella?!" What happened after that was unfortunate...because it made it cristal clear to Edward that he could not be with Bella.

No *sigh* I knew there was going to be some sort of change..but I didn't know that it would be so drastic. It's one of those things that you can see coming but don't want to believe that it can actually happen.

Not at all. As much as Edward would want to buy Bella a car, he also knows she would not take it.

8) What did you think about Bella's pleas for a celebration-less birthday? Did you think she was overreacting?
She had a right to ask people to please just treat it as a regular day. On the other hand..she just needs to suck it up and go along with it. I mean its not torture. Cake, presents? I can take that.

I thought it was funny, sort of..i mean come on. Alice is not going to give her what she wants, and Edward knows it. His reaction was justified, he gets mad when Bella goes on and on about it.
LilyMorgana
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by LilyMorgana »

I didn't see this one until now. :lol:

) When did you figure out that "Gran" was really Bella? Were you surprised by the fact that she was looking in a mirror, or did you see it coming?
I saw it coming to be honest. When 'Gran' mirrored everything, it became quite obvious to me.

No, sometimes dreams are just dreams, I think.

I actually didn't think of that. It's a good question, really.

Sort of, yes. I figured better safe than sorry, though.

Oh ow. After that I thought something was about to happen ...

I thought Edward would do something extra to keep her safe. Something dramatic or so.

It went through my mind when I was speculating about her gifts, yes.

Well yes, I thought she was seriously overreacting. I even thought it was getting kind of annoying.

I realized it was about the whole turning into a vampire stuff. I can't remember exactly what Edward's reaction was.
- Nele

Private Morgana Mordant of Jasper's Confederate Army, Team Stainless Claret
LilyMorgana