Chapter by Chapter Eclipse Discussion

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Stacia
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Chapter 23 ~ Monster

Post by Stacia »

1. Edward states that his best night ever was the night Bella said yes to marriage. Bella never states specifically her best night ever. What night do you think she would choose?
She does state her best night ever. It was the first night he stayed with her(well, that she knew about! ;) )

2. What do you think Edward said to Jacob to get him to come back to the tent?
He probably told him that if ever thought he had a chance, this was it. And that if Bella chose Jake, Edward would walk away.

3. Bella seems genuinely surprised by her own reaction to Jacob’s kiss. Have you ever been pleasantly surprised by your own reaction to someone’s kiss or even just a hand hold?
;)

4. The title of the chapter is Monster. Why do you think Stephenie Meyer named it this?
Because for the first time, it's Bella who thinks of herself as the monster. Not the vampire, not the werewolf, but herself.
Tarkheena
Settled in Forks

Post by Tarkheena »

1. Edward states that his best night ever was the night Bella said yes to marriage. Bella never states specifically her best night ever. What night do you think she would choose?

I think it would be the night she woke up after Italy. The night she had the epiphany; that Edward really does love her. Because all those times she was too insecure about herself, how someone like Edward could love and want her the same way she does him. And that night, she finally accepted it. That marked an absolute period to all the .... in her head. And, because she experienced losing him in New Moon, having him back in her life made a lot more of an impact. Because she knows that if she ever loses him again, she will not survive it. To know and trust the truth that he will not leave her again, that's a joy that encompasses all the hurt. That intensified her feelings toward Edward.

Something that goes like this: She is hurting, Jacob. As much as I hate to admit it, I know she loves you. You are part of her life and if this will make her happy, I want to give her that choice. So go, please. Go back to her.

3. Bella seems genuinely surprised by her own reaction to Jacob’s kiss. Have you ever been pleasantly surprised by your own reaction to someone’s kiss or even just a hand hold?

Yes. But that's probably because I like the one I was kissing or the one who was holding my hand. It felt exactly like an electric current is stinging all over my body, only in a good way. :oops: ;)

4. The title of the chapter is Monster. Why do you think Stephenie Meyer named it this?

Because Bella felt like a monster for hurting the people she loves. I think that is the essence of the chapter anyway. It all revolved around Bella's feelings. Being torn between two wonderful men and hurting both of them in the process.

(I seriously hated her in Eclipse, because it felt like she was toying with both their feelings. She's just so lucky they really love her and that she didn't end up losing them both. But what irked me most was how easily she let herself be fooled by Jacob. Surely that was a clear emotional blackmail. I don't hate hate her though.. it's just that she's a little of a pushover sometimes. And that annoys me.)
vintage_sunflower
Settled in Forks

Post by vintage_sunflower »

I think she would say that every night spent with Edward would be considered a "best" night. I personally think that E&B's best night is still yet to come.

I think he said something along the lines of..."You owe it to her to allow her to explain herself to you. If you "love" her as much as you claim...then you won't leave her like this....etc."

No, I have never been personally suprised by my reaction to someone's kiss/holding hands. I was, suprised to read that Bella actually kisses him back! A part of me was excited but another part of me thought that it was hypocritical for her to do so---sort of counter-productive being that her and Jacob were talking about how she "doesn't love him like that"...yet...she passionately kisses him. Sort of unbalanced...yet..as a reader I loved it. Love is a very complicated thing and I think that Stephenie portrays that excellently in this story.

I think it's because everybody has a "Monster" inside of them. Some force that makes them want to do something or say something totally out of character. Not everyone always acts on it..but in this case by Bella kissing Jacob back...she accepted her true feelings of passion for Jacob thus...making her feel like a monster.
darkrider
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by darkrider »

no not at all. lol
My twinnie and my fav twi guy=meteor
Randomness Reggie! BACK in...dark?
Emmett's Demolition Crew:Trainee
Team Edmartt! <<for the clueless, edward+emmett
vamps4evr
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by vamps4evr »

im not sure, there are so many...probably the night that he brought her home from Port Angeles...that was a HUGE night!

he just had to tell him about Bella - it doesn't take much for him to do whatever she wants...if he thinks she is hurting, he would go!

I have...I was a bit taken back by Bella - but I can def. see why she feels like she does!

that is how she feels...poor bella - it is such a hard situation!
spookybell
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by spookybell »

It is so hard to answer these questions. I know that Stephenie Meter gave so much though to everything she did and had a reason for everything she did. I know her answers are out there (even if they are still in her head) so it's hard for me to speculate when the truth is out there...

I want to know what Bella's #1 was. I hope to read back through some posts in case someone actually has found the answer.

vamps4evr wrote:probably the night that he brought her home from Port Angeles...that was a HUGE night!
!

I must admit - I might have to agree....
vintage_sunflower wrote: I personally think that E&B's best night is still yet to come
I totally agree with you also!!! On several experiences...

I really want to know.

No - but I would sure like to. I've had the opposite reaction... revultion. I know I will find my Jacob, and I know now how I will know :)

I want to know SM's reason. I'm not a speculator.
Sometimes I am not satisfied with my signature!
Twilightlover101
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Twilightlover101 »

vintage_sunflower wrote:I think she would say that every night spent with Edward would be considered a "best" night. I personally think that E&B's best night is still yet to come.[/color]

yea probably is shame we won't know about it though

She needs you???

Yep
amulaya
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by amulaya »

If I were her, it would be the first night I woke up and he was there. (Kinda weird, I know!)

Something about Bella.

Yes.

I would like to know SM's response to this too...
"So, who's gonna catch me a grizzly bear?" - Bella
rain.on.me
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by rain.on.me »

Hmmm...not sure. Any night spent with Edward would be pure bliss.

I really don't know. Thats something I've been curious about as well.

Never done either... :? ... :cry:

Not sure.
switzgal
Acquiring a Taste for Mountain Lion

Post by switzgal »

I have no idea. Her nights tend to get better and better with Edward (minus the James nights and her hospital stay... although Edward was there that night so yeah..her nights pretty much didn't suck after Edward.)

He probably apologized and said that Bella wants to say sorry too. Jake was probably surprised by the gesture from Edward and realized how desperate he was for Jake to go back for Bella.

Have been married for a while but of course in the past, yes. My first boyfriend I was pleasantly surprised by a lot of new experiences. When it happens for the first time (this really was her first 'real' kiss, let's face it Edward cannot kiss her french)

The monster is Bella. She hurts Jake and Edward simultaneously ALL THE TIME and it finally hit her when she realized that she also loved Jacob.