Chapter by Chapter Eclipse Discussion

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Tonya
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Chapter 11 ~ Legends

Post by Tonya »

1. In what ways does Bella identify with the third wife? She's selfless like the third wife. She has always tried to sacrifice her self to save Edward.

2. Could Taha Aki be alive today? Discuss theories. Who knows If he is he's really far away because I believe that had he know about what was happening near his land during this story he would have returned to help. Maybe he left his body again and it died from being occupied for so long and now he's flying around as a spirit

3. What do you think Jacob is hoping will change by taking Bella to the meeting? I don't think he had an ulterior motive here. Maybe to show her what monsters vampires were but he knows Bella already knows this about other vampires.

4. Why is Bella so disturbed by the idea of Edward’s identification with Heathcliff? I was surprised by her reaction. Maybe because she's lying to herself. That Edward and Jacob do not understand each other because they will never take the time to get to know one another. It is black and white to them where as Bella sees the grey area. I read that and knew exactly what he meant and if Bella ever lost her feelings for Jacob Edward would have no problem ending his life if he had been provoked. (I don't think Edward would hunt Jacob down, if Bella didn't like him anymore but if Jake came to fight, Edward would end him).
scarlet_forever

Post by scarlet_forever »

Many thanks to Echo 1 and Spooncha for the questions!

1. In what ways does Bella identify with the third wife?
She is the 'normal' one.

2. Could Taha Aki be alive today? Discuss theories.
My personal opinion..I don't think so.

3. What do you think Jacob is hoping will change by taking Bella to the meeting?
I think he was just wanting to spend time w/ her..w/o Edward present. Also, so she would know the backstory on the pack.

4. Why is Bella so disturbed by the idea of Edward’s identification with Heathcliff?
I have never read wuthering heights..so this is what I got out of it. That Edward is speaking the passage talking about Bella and Jacob. He would never banish her from seeing him as long as she wanted to, but regardless if he is okay w/ it, he still doesn't like Jacob.
Xx~Scarlet_forever~xX

*~* Do you think that I could be scary?*~*
*~* What if I'm not a superhero? What if I'm the bad guy?*~*
*~* As long as I'm going to hell, I migh as well do it thoroughly*~*
*~* You smell so good in the rain*~*
Jazzy'sgirl112108
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Jazzy'sgirl112108 »

even though she is willing to take edward away from the fight, she herself would be willing to sacrifice in order to keep her familiy alive.

no, these were only legends that took place 100s of years ago.

3. What do you think Jacob is hoping will change by taking Bella to the meeting?
maybe she would make new friends and come to love the people he loved more.

4. Why is Bella so disturbed by the idea of Edward’s identification with Heathcliff?
i never read wuthering heights but im sure it has something to do with the "drink his blood" thing.
Betting on Alice.
VampireAlternative
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by VampireAlternative »

She would sacrifice herself for those she loves, but she is afraid she cannot do anything to help because she is only human.

I don't think so. He wouldn't have survived the loss of his wife.

That she will understand more about wolves and that she will come back on her decision to become a vampire.

Well, if I found out my boyfriend thought like Heathcliff, I would run the other way. :D No, I'm kidding.
Heathcliff hated Linton so much (I mean the old Linton, not the new Linton Heathclif.), Bella is afraid Edward will hate Jake as much and both seek revenge on each other if something ends...badly. Also, the blood drinking was close to her own memories and fears, and that proved many of them.
In my own opinion, I did really not like Wuthering Heights and the tension in that book, and was surprised Bronte could pull a happy ending from all that constant revenge nonsense (sorry). But seeing Bella can't stop reading it...I think there might be something good out Wuthering Heights.
"I then drink about five of these and I can deal with the world. Or the world can deal with a guy full of five cups of "coffee on demand"." - Gerard Way
you.are.my.heroin

Post by you.are.my.heroin »

She's the one standing between the wolves and the vampires.

No, he probably wouldn't survive the death of his wife.

How she thinks of the wolves, that normal humans can have realationships with them.

Umm I'm not sure beaceus I don't really know who Heathcliff is.
**Kathryn**
openfire
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by openfire »

That they are both just ordinary humans, surrounded by others with supernatural abilities. Both would sacrifice themself to save the ones that they love.

In theory I guess he could, if he were still the wolf and did not age. But I don't think he is; I don't think he would be able to remain in this world when his wife was dead. I imagine that he ran off somewhere, and became a man again and died.

That Bella will understand the wolves and the legends a little more. And that she will understand why the wolves are so against the vampires. I really liked this chaptet, learning all about the legends and stuff. I thought it was really interesting - if I was Bella, I certainly would think about it a lot! But, as Edward is different from the "cold ones" in the stories, the legends will not change her mind one bit.

I'm not sure cos I haven't read Wuthering Heights, but I guess it's something to do with the fact that she see's the "drink his blood" part. I think that Heathcliff and Edward both are similar in that they don't get on with the person that they love, friends? But they don't want to harm them, as they would hurt the one that they loved? So Bella is afraid that Edward could hurt Jacob ("drink his blood") if he wanted, but Edward never would, as this would hurt Bella? Maybe? I dunno now? :lol:
Banner by the super talented TammyAZ!
futurevampire
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by futurevampire »

She's helpless and human, and she's in love with this amazing superhero person, and can't do anything to help them. In the place of the third wife, she would have done the same thing. She would give her life for the people she loves.
I think he could be. He doesn't age, and he can't be killed easily. I think he might be wandering alone in a tortured, half-existence. He would be grieving for his wife and would never really get over it. I think he might go insane. If werewolves age if they stay in a human form, would they also begin to age in a wolf form over a prolonged period of time and end up dying naturally as a wolf? That would kind of make sense..
He's hoping she'll want to stay with them instead. He's hoping that getting away from the vampires and all the stress and staying with him and all his friends might make her change her mind.
In the passage, Heathcliff says that if Cathy stopped liking the other guy (can't remember the other character's name..) then he would cut out his heart and drink his blood. That's more symbolic there, but it would have an ironic sense of reality in the situation with Jacob and Edward. It freaks Bella out that he would identify with wanting to kill Jacob if she didn't like him too.
Edward and Bella Forever!!!<3 :: Lexicalia :: Team Esme!
Mafia: Natalia Gravano/Nat :: I'm on The List!! ~Marisa
misskiley

Post by misskiley »

She has no special abilities.. there's no special thing about her then her love for her family.

He very well could be. You would think after so long that he would come back,.. which would be very weird though. lol

Maybe she will realize their side more and how horrible the vampires are. Bella really is part of their little pack they have.

I've never read Wuthering Heights.. but I assume it has something to do with "drink his blood". Sometimes she can be so "obtuse" as Edward says.. I could cleary see that page was exactly what was going on with Edward.
Brienna
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Brienna »

She's also a human, with no special powers or gifts.

I don't know. He wouldn't age as long as he phases. But does that work the same when he's wolf. When he's human and doesn't phase, he will get older again. So, I think that if he stays wolf and doesn't phase, he would also age.
If he would still phase, he could still be alive.

He wants Bella to see his side. He wants her to realize that vampire's aren't good. It's no use though, she already knows that, the Cullens are just different, which Jake doesn't agree on.

She loves Jacob, she would never want him to get hurt. The passage says that if she wouldn't like him anymore, he would hurt him. I think she's afraid that Edward will someday hurt Jacob. Or at least, that he feels able to do so. I don't think she's believes he would ever do it.
wolf-girl0221
Settled in Forks

Post by wolf-girl0221 »

She identified with the third wife because they were both human and helpless against the much stronger vampires and werewolves. All they could offer in a fight is their blood.

Yeah I think he's still alive. I mean he didn't turn back into a human after all. If his wolf-self reawakened then his aging would have stopped, too.

I think he was hoping that she would see that vampires aren't that glamous and that she would chose to be with him. He could have also wanted her to see that he could protect her just as well against the vampire threat she always seemed to be facing just as easily as Edward could.

i think it disturbed her because Heathcliff's words sounded almost exactly like they would have if Edward had spoken them about Jacob.
I'll be waiting for you until yourheart stops beating. And maybe even after that.