Discussion of the Twilight movie

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
WishIWasACullen
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Twilight Movie~Actors' Performances

Post by WishIWasACullen »

This is a VERY hot topic with me and friends (and we have all seen the movie anywhere from 5-10 times each between the group of us).

Edward (Rob)- was AMAZING! Firstly, I think he pulled of the Chicago accent splendidly. Secondly, he really portrayed the "tortured soul" bit that Edward embodies. He made me believe that he was Edward. Not to mention that he looked the part :D

Bella (Kristen)- was alright. While her plainness and awkwardness definitely screamed Bella, I had trouble finding the real emotion that Bella makes so obvious through her narration. Plus it was EXTREMELY difficult to focus when she would bite her lip and shake her head so much. I understand that she is trying to portray Bella's shyness and whatnot but honestly...it looked like a seizure..or tourettes at times. (Don't get me wrong, i still love Kristen Stewart and overall think that she did a good job!!)

Carlisle (Peter)- Apart from being heinously white and blond (HA!) he was spectacular.He was every bit the father figure that I imagined while reading. The unspoken moments between him and Edward were perfect and explained more than any dialogue could have.

Alice (Ashley)- Alice was perfect and I am SO glad. I had my doubts at first (the whole model turned actress thing always leaves me skeptical) but she was fantastic. I kept forgetting that Alice didn't play a very large role in Twilight and was sad when I didn't see enough of her.

Emmett (Kellan)- Oh my god. So I don't think there has been a more perfect casting since time began. Emmett was the source of the majority of the laughs for me (Besides Eric..who was HILARIOUS) He played Emmett as if he WAS Emmett. Perfecto.

Rosalie (Nikki)- Rosalie was also played perfectly. The perfect, snobby, blonde, bi-yatch. I hated her. Not the actress or the acting, just Rosalie. In which case, Nikki Reed did her job well, because I've hated Rosalie since day 1. Yay!!

Jasper (Jackson)- Oh he looked so pained!! I loved Jasper, especially when you got to see him looking more than constipated (baseball anyone?) Jackson really does hit Jasper head on. He was great.

Esme- (Elizabeth) Another person that I wanted to see more of. But what I saw, I liked. Especially when Carlisle bites her...oooooh very nice.

Charlie (Billy) He did an EXCELLENT job. Is it wrong though that I have a micro-crush on Charlie? What can I say, the 'stache is a little bit sexy.

Jacob (Taylor) Besides the bad wig, he was great. He really is a very talented actor, especially for being so young. I can't wait to see more of him in the next movie! :D

James (Cam) In the brief half hour or so that we saw him, he was great. I was every bit as terrified of him while watching the movie as I was while reading the book.

Victoria (Rachelle) OH JEEZ! This is just the tip of the iceberg for her. was anybody else terrified as she came down the stairs right before credits? She is amazing and I can't wait to see her resurface!

Laurent (Edi)- I love the character or Lauren and Edi played him perfectly. The whole "Let's not play with our food" thing was delivered just how I imagined Laurent would say it. Yay Edi!

Billy Black (Gil) He was great. A good actor :D and when he gave Edward the "evil eye" as they drove by each other...well, I know it was supposed to be menacing but I couldn't help but laugh.

Angela (Christian) She was great. I loved her just as much in the movie as I loved her in the book.

Jessica (Anna)- She did a good job making me realize how much I dislike Jessica. Meaning that she did very well!

Mike (Michael) Oh Mike, you poor,poor Bella-rejected boy. He was the perfect Mike and really funny at that.

Eric (Justin) HOLY CRAP he was so funny! He might be one of my favorite people in the movie...no joke.

Tyler (Gregory) Tyler was also great. the "school friends" were great. They pulled off the whole mundane school thing to play a perfect contrast to the amazingness that is Bella and Edward.

Whew. Sorry that was so long winded. :D :D GREAT MOVIE!!
"Is it not enough… just to have a long and happy life with me?"

"For Now...."

E <3 B

Dazzled_by_Cullens
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by Dazzled_by_Cullens »

Davnee wrote:. But the one person that absolutely totally and utterly bothered me was the guy who played Eric(Justin Chon). He just seemed so weird and out of place with the rest of the gang, I couldn't figure out where he was coming from. After seeing the movie a gazillion times now, I have to literally close my ears when they're sitting in the cafeteria and he says "La Push". Thank god he was only in about two or three quick scenes. :
Eric was not was I had expected at all! He did not come out like I had pictured in my head. To be honest he was a little too metro-sexual than I had pictured him, especially for the small town of Forks. It doesn't seem like he would be friends with that group either if this was the case. Plus when he kept saying "La Push" it made me cringe. Nails on a chalk board to me.
I left my heart on the Gen Y thread...I my LEXILY
Davnee
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Davnee »

Ah so you understand my pain. I think you explained it way better than I did though. Just couldn't listen to the dude. Grrrrrr. I'm so happy that Angela is with Ben in book 2! :lol:
Alison
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Alison »

I am not sure if this is the correct place to post this idea, but I'm going for it. I thought Kristen Stewart did okay for the movie, but I feel like she doesn't fit the Bella character from the books. In my mind, the book and movie Bella are almost two different characters, and I am not sure if I can fault Kristen Stewart's performance for that, or the writers. But, I am currently re-reading the series, and after having seen the movie, I now envision Robert as Edward in my mind. When I am reading, I can picture Robert saying and doing the things that occur in the book. I cannot do the same for Kristen. I cannot picture her saying Bella's lines or doing some of the silly things she does in the book. She still doesn't match the Bella I imagined, while Robert fits it to a tee.

The other characters performed their parts perfectly, considering they didn't get much screen time or lines.
"...I wanted to dream. Maybe, if I could be unconscious, if I could dream, I could live for a few hours in a world where she and I could be together. She dreamed of me. I wanted to dream of her." -Edward, Midnight Sun
bite_me
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by bite_me »

Rob was really good! I have to admit my version of Edward when I read the books was really weird, but now I picture Rob because he was so convincing.

Kristen though . . . I didn't think she was very good. Though I tried, I couldn't imagine her as bella. she was just kristen, falling in love with edward like the rest of us. All she really did was flutter her eyelashes and pant. i thik she looked the part though.

All of the cullens I just loved . . .
Jasper was so good!(in the four or whhatever lines he had)
emmett was EXACTLY how i pictured him
carlisle . . .. wow. Perfect.
And rosalie was awesome. She was such a great b****!
I liked esme and alice too of course, just not enough to rant.

The nomads were way better/hotter/eviler than I imagine them in the book. I wish we saw more cam (james) *sniffle* but I'm looking forward to victoria and laurent in new moon - that accent!
ImageImage
If they say it's tourist season why can't we shoot them?
Lunna-san
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by Lunna-san »

Rob: Wow, considering that I hated it when he was casted, complained and whined, he did a very good job. He looked very pretty and misterious. Someone who cares a big burden, the way Edward does.I think the expressed very well his conflict.

Kristen: I think she was okay. She looked awkward and brave. We are used to see things by BPOV. But it doesn't mean she express most part of her emotions to other people. Sometimes she really looked pretty. I like how she looked intrigued by Edward's mistery, her refusal of letting it go. I think because of the script she didn't look so in love with Edward. Okay, she was intrigued and fascinated, but she wasn't obsessed. She was solving a puzzle. I really wish she didn't bit her lip so much.

Billy/Charlie: I think he was the best. I loved him. I kind of pictured Charlie differently, but he did great, the father who exactaly doesn't know what to do with a teenager daughter after years, but who is trying to build a relationship with her. His scene with Kristen when she's leaving is great.

Ashley/Alice: She was excentric, bubly and graceful as I pictured her. Very funny and cute. Perfect.

Jackson/Jasper: The script didn't help him much, but I think he did a nice job and even with that military posture. His grimaces were hilarious.

Peter/Carlisle: He was great, all fairy and golden. A great father figure. Very centrated.

Elizabeth/Esme: Very loving and motherly, like Esme. Didn't show up much, but Esme never does. But she really looked the mother of the house.

Kellan/Emmett: Awsome. Very funny. Very Emmettish, goofy and nice. I wished we could see more of him.

Nikki/Rosalie: As other people said, not so gorgeous as Rosalie, but b**** as her.

Taylor/Jacob: Cute and young, as Jacob is in the first book. I think he did a very good job. Just that wig of him should be burned with the gliter they used in Pattinson. Hideous.

Billy: I pictured him more serious, but he was just fine.

Human friends. I didn't like Angela much. I imagined her a bit more shy. And Michael was the perfect Mike Newton... his glare at the cafeteria was priceless. I didn't like Eric much - since when he's so metrossexual? I imagines him more nerdish. But I liked the trio trying to get a date with Bella and she didn't even paying attention on them because she was too much obsessed on the Cullen's mystery. That was a very good one. :lol:

Cam/James: Very good. Evil, sexy and dangerous.

RochelleVictoria: Wicked. 8-) She really has a presence in scene.

Laurent: I think he was great.
JasperHaleIzLuv
Settled in Forks

Post by JasperHaleIzLuv »

okay, there is ONE thing that i HAVE to say ...
EDWARD CULLEN IS NOT ANGRY IN THE BOOK !!!!! THEY MADE HIM ANGRY IN THE MOVIE, AND THAT IS NOT THE WAY HE WAS !!!!!!!!!!!! GRRRR !!!!
footloose
Learning to Love Green

Post by footloose »

Rob as Edward: he still has room for improvement but he does a great job in portraying Edward's lighter and darker side :D My only problem was he overdid some scenes (like the first Biology scene) and didn't look scary enough when he confronted James in the baseball field (in the book, he sounded so feral even Bella was afraid of him).

Kristen as Bella: Kristen is a good actress but like i said in other thread, she seems to project her own interpretation of Bella (strong, edgy girl) rather than the Bella in the book (cute, unique, endearing girl).

Billy as Charlie: he doesn't look anywhere like i imagined him to be but he surely gets Charlie's personality down pat.

Ashley as Alice: P-E-R-F-E-C-T.

Jackson as Jasper: doesn't really fit my original imagination (not muscular enough) but he does a great job.

Peter as Carlisle: not handsome enough, but otherwise he IS Carlisle.

Elizabeth as Esme: good, but I expect her to be more motherly and shows more of her pride in Edward. Of course, this is the fault of the script.

Kellan as Emmet: not as scary as Emmet in the book but otherwise he plays him to a T.

Nikki/Rosalie: not as breathtakingly beautiful as Rosalie in the book, but she has the attitude, alright.

Taylor as Jacob: if only they can make him taller and bigger, he would be perfect. he has Jacob's easygoing, cheerful attitude, not to mention the endearing smile.

Billy, Angela, Eric, Mike, Jessica: just like what I expect them to be. Eric looks different but since i didn't pay much attention to him in the book, I don't really mind. He is hilarious in the movie. Mike fits the bill and Jessica is just as annoying as I imagined her.

Cam as James: again, perfect casting.

Rochelle as Victoria: she steals every scene she is in.

Laurent: expect him to be a white guy but otherwise he's great.
bella+edward4eva
Wandering Through Town

Post by bella+edward4eva »

i thought that kristen did good with bella exept for that part in the hospital when edward tells her that he has to leave her, whe just stutters. it's realy annoying

robert was an awsome edward a little cheesy, but it was hard to avoid that.also the biology scene was like over the top i ust laughed the whole time.

ashley did amazing with alice. she was my favorite. her voice was perfect and so was the hair.

nikki awsome anger!!!!!! it;s hard to get some of that out

the guy who played charlie was ok but when bella was leaving, he wasn't sad enough.

jackson was good but he only had like 4 lines. also when jessica was introducing everyone, and jasper came up, i just laughed i mean how could you not!!!
FYI-TWILIGHT ROX!!!!!!
oPhoenixo
Settled in Forks

Post by oPhoenixo »

I made sure I held off reading the book till I seen the movie first. Because I thought Id be disappointed in the movie if I read the book first (which is usually the case). However, I wasnt impressed in the movie at first. I found that it went to fast. And I realised this after I went the second time because I noticed a few scenes I had forgotten about. Also, I couldnt understand Edwards reaction in the biology scene because I hadnt read the book then. So, yeah, I thought she mustve stunk or something...he looked like he was going to puke. When I did finallly read the book i now understand what his reaction was. Anyway, the second time I went I started liking it a bit more. So, my opinion on the actors performances below...

Edward (Rob)- was ok. Firstly, he definitely had the looks for the character. But the way he talked was weird. He seemed too nervous whereas in the book he was more confident. Something I would expect in a Vampire whose lived for so long. Secondly, in some scenes he came across as geeky or poofy to me. Like as if he could almost be ... gay....

Bella (Kristen)- she was ok too. I couldnt imagine another actress that could do a better a job off the top of my head so for now I think she was the best that could be found to do Bella. She had no .... emotion in her towards Edward tho. I definitely didnt sense any love from her for Edward. I dont know I still feel like i need to see it again and again to pinpoint what didnt seem right with her. I couldnt imagine Kristen when i read the book. I saw a different person altogether... dunno who tho. Then again it could be the way the movie was directed or the script. Im not sure. Oh then again, maybe Kristen shouldve read the book and she mightve got a better idea of Who and What Bella really is. (id heard she hasnt read the book)

Carlisle (Peter)- Oh yeah... he was perfect!! They definitely didnt do wrong choosing Peter for this character. He did it so well.

Alice (Ashley)- Alice was awesome. She is exactly what i imagined from the book. I like Alice a lot.

Emmett (Kellan)- Again, they did well with choosing Kellan too. He fitted well in this character. Big and a goof but adoringly lovely at the same time.

Rosalie (Nikki)- Hah! Nikki is amazing. I was impressed how you could make a brown girl white lol. Well done and she did awesome in her acting too. I love her b**tchiness hehe. Very pretty.

Jasper (Jackson)- LOL this dude seriously freaked me out when i first saw the movie. Not in a bad or scary way but a funny way. He so reminded me of Edward Scissorhand ... those eyes LOL. But ohhh man... he is gorgeous in the Baseball scene! I found the scene on youtube and trust me I just kept watching it over and over just to see him swing!

Esme- (Elizabeth) Shes a lovely lady in the movie. I kinda dont notice too much of Esme. Even in the book but I thought she was great.

Charlie (Billy) Oh Billy was a perfect pick for Charlie. Really sexy too which I didnt get this impression from the book. The movie however, he was a done deal!.

Jacob (Taylor) Besides the bad wig, he was great. He really is a very talented actor, especially for being so young. I can't wait to see more of him in the next movie! I heard he might be replaced???? is this true??? Apparently the rumor was that he isnt big enough for the werewolf stage in New moon?

James (Cam) Oh hes a honey. Cam was perfect for james. I loved every moment of the movie with james hehe.

Victoria (Rachelle) Yeah she was awesome too. I dont like Victoria but Rachelle was perfect in her character.

Laurent (Edi)- I kinda didnt like laurent but then I wasnt bothered about him in the book either. So really I dont care who did laurent.

Billy Black (Gil) He was great. A good actor

Angela (Christian) She was great. I loved her just as much in the movie as I loved her in the book.

Jessica (Anna)- She was great and yeah prettier than kristen LOL. Or should I say cuter. She was great.

Mike (Michael) Mike was perfect too. I kinda expected someone more good looking though. Still I think michael was great too.

Eric (Justin) I didnt like this dude in the movie. It just didnt seem right. Again I couldnt care who it was. I spose he played eric ok. I dont know

Tyler (Gregory) Oh he was good. I loved how they added that bit with Charlie in the hospital. I really liked that. I noticed it wasnt in the book tho. Still, I loved it

:)