Discussion of the Twilight movie

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Nightwalker
Settled in Forks

Re: Director Catherine Hardwicke

Post by Nightwalker »

I think Catherine was perfect for the movie. She was passionate about the books and wanted to stickk as closely to them as possible. I too was gutted when i found out earlier that she will not be allowed to direct the second. That leaves us wondering one thing. Where does this leave the future twilight films? Is it going to turn into some kind of money making franchise and ruin the films? Is the new director going to show the same care and dedication towards keeping the new film as close to the book as possible?
I read somewhere this morning that Eclipse is going to be 'back to back'. I don't know what that means but it doesn't sound too good to me.
amie
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by amie »

I don't think the desire to make money will necessarily ruin the films.

Improving the effects and dialogue will only succeed in making non-fans want to see the movies, and encourage other non-fans to see them. Thereby making more money.

*shrug*

I don't know yet how I feel about the firing. There were a lot of directorial things I didn't agree with for Twilight, but it certainly could have been worse. So I guess I won't really know until New Moon is out how I feel.
:? :? :?
Gi.Kodaly
Learning to Love Green

Post by Gi.Kodaly »

I was glad they fired her. She didn't work well in Twilight.
New Moon needs a better director. Someone that can make Kristen and Taylor act.
Team Rosalie!
Change Your Mind
Bliss
College_Student
Settled in Forks

Post by College_Student »

I think I am going to hate the next movies, and I'll tell you why: They are going to be half-assed and horrible. The press release stated that the time constraints were too harsh for Catherine Hardwicke to give her full effort. Therefore, the search for a new director means that the studio is going for quantity and a rush job over quality. They want someone to churn out the next movies as quickly as possible, with little to no regard for whether or not it's actually any good. They want it to come out in late 2009 or early 2010; that's less than a year to find a director, film, and finish production!! In addition to which, the special effects in this next one were always going to take a TON more effort with all of the werewolves constantly changing. The first thing my non-Twilighter, technical-theater-major friend said after seeing the movie was that Catherine Hardwicke did a phenomenal job with movement in the film, and she really did. She captured things that I was not expecting from the book, including the sense that it's just a story based in the real world, where there happen to be vampires, instead of just-another-movie, and it was 99% due to her use of movement in the fim. To see anything less in the next move, movement wise, will be a huge disappointment. With her enthusiasm for the story and characters and her clear understanding of the plot line and undertones of the story, I already know I won't like the next movies under a new director. Most directors would not have had her vision for the first one. Summit's in for a rude awakening when they churn out a sloppy, hastily done piece of dreck and all of the fans rebel and refuse to see it.

Cheers.
tinuviel2006
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by tinuviel2006 »

Hey guys, I have just found out that there's a petition going on, you can check it out on this site http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/b ... kcatherine. I really hope it'll make a difference, and that they will bring her back to direct....
AngelYve83
Wandering Through Town

Post by AngelYve83 »

I'm happy they let her go, now they just need to do the same with MR. I've stated in another board that anybody can have heart and passion for a project. Which I know CH did, I just don't think her passion came out the right way in making Twilight. I just hope the next director does not ruin New Moon as well. A little homework goes along way and finding the best parts of a book and adpating it to the film is key in making it sucessful. I think CH played a role in the screenwriting on Twilight with MR. There were thinks that were left out and added in that just didn't work well in the film in my opinion. They didn't even give Edward and Bella's relationship much of a chance to develop. They just threw everything together and to me it just didn't work. I'm sure they will find the right director that can bring all the passion & chemistry into this film. I think Summit did right with their decision.
anilumagloire
Wandering Through Town

Post by anilumagloire »

Gi.Kodaly wrote:I was glad they fired her. She didn't work well in Twilight.
New Moon needs a better director. Someone that can make Kristen and Taylor act.
YES!!! My sentiments exactly.
Lynzeee
Decorating with Esme

Post by Lynzeee »

she nearly destroyed twilight with the horrible camera angles- i am glad she is gone!
Keeper of The Randomness
"Just because you can, doesn't mean you should"-Acheron Parthenopaeus
siobhan1
Settled in Forks

Post by siobhan1 »

I am all for making money, money is great, and I don't mind a new director, but I want a good product. Does anyone think that you can really get out a good product with less than a year to find a new director, do all the filming and finish special effects? If i didn't hurt HP and the Half-Blood Prince to wait another 8 months, why do we have to rush with New Moon? Do you want a good product or not? I really don't think you can pull it off in 12 months or less. A new director may want to recast and look for other locations, new DP etc. For those of you who think that there's any hope of getting MR replaced ,think again, the script for New Moon was finished and in to the execs before Twilight was released. So if you think the execs are thinking quality think again. They are thinking maximum cash in minimum time. I'm holding my breath on this one and praying for the best, but be prepared for something less than we'd hoped for.
Nightwalker
Settled in Forks

Post by Nightwalker »

I'v signed the petition, not that it'll do much good. I am sad that they got rid of CH but all i want is
1. For New Moon not to be rushed
2. For the werewolves to look amazing
and 3. For it to be as close to the book as possible. Do you think we'll get any of that now?