Vampire Novels Like Twilight

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
dazzlingdynamite
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Re: Vampire Novels Like Twilight

Post by dazzlingdynamite »

pallorxmortis wrote:Låt den rätte komma in (Let the Right One In) by John Ajvide Lindqvist

Possibly the best book I have ever read (as well as one of the best movies I have ever watched -- and yes, I'm putting this above Twilight, sorry guys.)

A beautiful love story, showing the struggles of a forgotten and bullied child, a vampire trapped in a twelve year old body. A fragile, anxious boy, 12-year-old Oskar is regularly bullied by his stronger classmates but never strikes back. The lonely boy's wish for a friend seems to come true when he meets Eli, also 12, who moves in next door to him with a man. A pale, serious young girl, she only comes out at night and doesn't seem affected by the freezing temperatures. Coinciding with Eli's arrival is a series of inexplicable disappearances and murders...it doesn't take long before he figures out that Eli is a vampire. But by now a subtle romance has blossomed between Oskar and Eli, and she gives him the strength to fight back against his aggressors. Oskar becomes increasingly aware of the tragic, inhuman dimension of Eli's plight, but cannot bring himself to forsake her. I recommend this book/movie to all those that wish it, please note that this follows the traditional vampire novels (Dracula --which really isn't fair because Dracula was hardly seen in the book--, Carmilla, etc, by being a horror love story. Please be aware of this when you read/watch this.)

The romance is very Twilight, but it is not the Revisionist vampires of Twilight, very Classical vampires (which of course means some graphic violence. Just warning for everyone.) Also, please note that it is in Swedish (does come with subtitles and there are translated books available.)
I saw that film! It was AMAZING. You've just reminded me I have to buy the book now. Thank you! ;D
Call That a Comeback?
YOU ME AT SIX
roseaurora
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by roseaurora »

Cirque Du Freak is directed by Paul Weitz... Chris Weitz's brother. Interesting...

When I was actually a YA :roll: I used to love Christopher Pike... who am I kidding, I still love his books! He wrote The Las Vampire Series, it is 6 books and full of lots of spirituality and eastern philosophy, but they are pretty good. Just recently got a hold of the last book. Anyone else ever read this series?
Wants to move to Forks and live with the Cullens forever.
Banner by the fabulous MRK
I ♥ my Lexily!
rain.on.me
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by rain.on.me »

I absolutley hate it when I start reading a new YA vampire book and the characters are just like Edward and Bella. All the guys would have same color hair and green eyes like Edward, and all the girls would be similar to Bella and sometimes even have the same quirks, like clumsiness. I know its probably just a coinincidence, but it makes me really mad anyway for some reason, so Ive since stopped reading them lol.
dazzlingdynamite
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by dazzlingdynamite »

rain.on.me wrote:I absolutley hate it when I start reading a new YA vampire book and the characters are just like Edward and Bella. All the guys would have same color hair and green eyes like Edward, and all the girls would be similar to Bella and sometimes even have the same quirks, like clumsiness. I know its probably just a coinincidence, but it makes me really mad anyway for some reason, so Ive since stopped reading them lol.
Well what intrigued me was almost every leading vampire is like Edward around his female, human love. I think it's just the way it goes. Especially since a few of the ones I've read were published well before Twi.
Call That a Comeback?
YOU ME AT SIX
x. Jessica-Louise .x
Lusting for Blood

Post by x. Jessica-Louise .x »

I love the blackdagger brotherhood books and the house of night books. There nothing like twilight so I dont really compare them which is good. If I compared every book to twilight I'd think everything was bad.
Edward, Eммεтт, Jasper, Seth, Ian, Jared,
Dιмιтrι, Mason, Peeta, Rhage, Heath, Erik,
Stark, Dαмεη...Boys in books are just вεттεя
bandnerd218
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by bandnerd218 »

oh my goodness

the House of Night series by p.c and kristen cast

they are AMAZING :mrgreen:
Jesse=My love.My life.
"I'll sing to you all night if it will keep the bad dreams away" -Edward
"Your Slower than a fat kid on crutches"-Aphrodite;Untamed
"The greener grass on the other side is probably just AstroTurf"-idk
DunnerheartsTwilight
Being Tortured by Jane
Location: Postaholic. Vampirizing Sarah, Emo Tee-angers! DSCL 4 LIFE

Post by DunnerheartsTwilight »

umm the sookie stackhouse books by charlaine harrison..

1dead until drak
2.Living dead in dallas
3.Club dead
4.dead to the world
5.dead as a dornail
6.Definitely dead
7.all together dead
8.from dead to worse

to be published
9.dead and gone

they are bout a telepath who falls for a vampire and has to solve murders and stuff and there are WERES and shapeshifters and witches and fairies and lots of death... they are good and almost exactly like twilight
APPC~Party Manager.Leo~Volturi
Cosimo Tagliano~Jamie-Drake.On The List. Seth-Team Jake
pallorxmortis
Learning to Love Green

Post by pallorxmortis »

dazzlingdynamite wrote:
pallorxmortis wrote:Låt den rätte komma in (Let the Right One In) by John Ajvide Lindqvist

Possibly the best book I have ever read (as well as one of the best movies I have ever watched -- and yes, I'm putting this above Twilight, sorry guys.)

A beautiful love story, showing the struggles of a forgotten and bullied child, a vampire trapped in a twelve year old body. A fragile, anxious boy, 12-year-old Oskar is regularly bullied by his stronger classmates but never strikes back. The lonely boy's wish for a friend seems to come true when he meets Eli, also 12, who moves in next door to him with a man. A pale, serious young girl, she only comes out at night and doesn't seem affected by the freezing temperatures. Coinciding with Eli's arrival is a series of inexplicable disappearances and murders...it doesn't take long before he figures out that Eli is a vampire. But by now a subtle romance has blossomed between Oskar and Eli, and she gives him the strength to fight back against his aggressors. Oskar becomes increasingly aware of the tragic, inhuman dimension of Eli's plight, but cannot bring himself to forsake her. I recommend this book/movie to all those that wish it, please note that this follows the traditional vampire novels (Dracula --which really isn't fair because Dracula was hardly seen in the book--, Carmilla, etc, by being a horror love story. Please be aware of this when you read/watch this.)

The romance is very Twilight, but it is not the Revisionist vampires of Twilight, very Classical vampires (which of course means some graphic violence. Just warning for everyone.) Also, please note that it is in Swedish (does come with subtitles and there are translated books available.)
I saw that film! It was AMAZING. You've just reminded me I have to buy the book now. Thank you! ;D
It wasn't just amazing.
It was beautiful.
It was a traditional vampire movie set with real characters.
I thought Eli was interesting though and I have not seen a lot of: female vampire, male human romance stories -- especially with 12 year olds.

I still need to buy the book, I've only borrowed.
I need to find a place that would have it.
XD

Ugh, I can't get over how amazing it is.
I think I love it more than Twilight.

"You see a wile, you thwart. Am I right?"
-- Crowley to Aziraphale : Good Omens
blasphemous_contessa
Working in the Garage with Jacob
Location: The library...or work...course if I was at work I wouldn't be online, so I must be at a library

Post by blasphemous_contessa »

Tantalize, but it's more of a Dracula style vampire novel about a girl who's family owns a vampire themed restaraunt and then a REAL vampire become sthe cook and is slowly turning the town's population vampiric with his dishes, and so is Bloodline which is basically Dracula 2000 in book form...oh and also better and written before the movie.

I read Cirque du Freak when I was younger but it kind of annoys me now.

Really my favorite vampire novels are the Nyeusigrube books by Amelia Atwtaer-Rhodes. It's not like Twilight because humans can kill vampires if they have a certain amount of training and skill, but it also defies a lot of vampire canon. Like the sun, silver, coffin, and religion weaknesses. The books also don't push either abstinence or religion, there's no blasphemy or smutt in them, but it also never comes up so no one has to say "no". All but the fifth one were written WAY before Twilight so any similarities are coincidental (she was working on her shapeshifter series Kiesha'ra during the main part of the Twilight Era as she calls it on her site http://www.nyeusigrube.com)

The first one is the story of a mostly human girl (Risika) in the late 1600s who's twin brother is training to become a vampire hunter but she doesn't know. In retaliation the most powerful local vampires threaten both her and her younger sister eventually changing the girl and "murdering" the brother. The book is about the girl attempting to get revenge for her brother's death and her own vampirism. IN THE FORESTS OF THE NIGHT.

The second book is about a girl who has dreams about vampires which she writes as books only to find out later that they are true. Aubrey (the vampire villain from FORESTS and main character of the girl's first two books) goes to the girl's school to kill her only to find that she is under the protection of the local witches, healers and vampire hunters. He accidentally falls in love with her which makes an older, but not as powerful, vampire angry. The other vampire attacks the girl as revenge against Aubrey and out of pure spite. DEMON IN MY VIEW.

The thrid book is about a witch (the daughter of the hunter in the second book) who moves to a new town and starts high school with Cullen-esque vampires whom she befriends which is against the witch's law. All the while she is on the hunt for an ancient and powerful vampire who may have connections to the brother and sister from school While attempting to kill the vamp she messes up big time and might be stripped of her magic and title, leaving her prey to the asociates of all the vampires she had hunted in her lifetime. SHATTERED MIRROR

The fourth book is about a human girl who was kidnapped into slavery by a vampire. When she gets out she joins a mercenary guild and learns the skills necessary t never be mistaken as prey again. She gets a job offer back in the vampiric slave trade which is illegal even in the vampire world ("Silver's line in New Mayhem have a distaste for caged meat" and "If you want to cower behind those laws go to New Mayhem and petition Silver. Of course they have those nasty laws concerning the trade, but I'm sure if you beg prettily they'll only torture you for a century o so"). She comes to terms with all the ways she has become like the vampires in her attempt to distance herself from them. MIDNIGHT PREDATOR

And the fifth book is about a girl who has believed herself to be crazy her whole life, with a poweful alter ego Shevaun(who is actually the vampire who created themercenary guild from the fourth book). If she can't accept the supernatural and find a way to sever her psychic connection to the vamp her mind will be permanently damaged and she may never learn to harness the supernatural power she was born with. Or worse, be completely taken over by artificial memories of a being who "alternates between reclusive artist and cutting a bloody swath across Europe". PERSISTENCE OF MEMORY
That one's for Ianto. Risen Mitten, Life Knife, and that old classic...Stun Gun.
I.WANT.TO.BE.BELLA
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by I.WANT.TO.BE.BELLA »

My friend told me about this book called 'Peeps' by Scott Westerfield the other day.
It has probably been metioned on this thread already before but i think it sounds really good and i am going to walk into a good bookstore and buy it.

BLURB:

First rule: Don't call them vampires. That's just a ridiculous term. The proper label is parasite-positives, or "peeps." Maybe some people think that peeps have a few things in common with vampires of legend, but New York City is a long way from the Carpathian Mountains.

Second rule: Whatever you do, don't forget the anathema, when peeps start hating the things they used to love. The anathema hurts, but in a good way.

These rules to live by are a part of Cal Thompson's daily life. Cal is a peep hunter, sworn to protect New York from the spread of the parasite that, well, makes people act like vampires, if you have to use that word. Cal himself was infected with the parasite, but on him it works differently. He has the superpowers and the urge to feed, but he can still live among those who don't carry the parasite. In a quest to track down the woman who gave him the parasite, he peels away the layers of a mystery involving rats, cats, writing on a wall, and a building with more than a health club in its basement.
I.WANT.TO.BE.ALICE is my Twi-Twin!
Rain.........Depressing. :D
Avatar and Signature made by me.