The Third Table

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Alice's Grandma
Settled in Forks

Re: The Third Table

Post by Alice's Grandma »

A book that’s changed my life. The firsts that come to mind are those that got me reading or inspired me to read again. The Nancy Drew series finally turned me on to reading in sixth grade. I pretty much read throughout high school, but when I became an English major in college and was forced to analyze everything, my reading enjoyment ended. After I graduated (as a science major :D ) Mary Stewart’s series about Merlin turned me back into a reader.

I’d love to read the whole book of Eclipse from Edward’s point of view, but I’ll narrow it down to one. I’d love to hear Edward’s thoughts when he was dropping Bella off at the LaPush border. He knows Jacob is going to tell her he loves her. Edward doesn’t know about her feelings towards Jacob and has no idea how she’ll react. He is also incredibly insecure about her feelings towards him. He feels he may lose her and when Bella looks back, she thinks she sees fear in his eyes. I love that scene.

I read the Stackhouse series, but my favorite was book3. Book4 may have ended up being my favorite except I started to read book5 while waiting for B&N to order book4. Reading out of order completely ruined book4 for me.

Nissan - I really enjoyed Eragon, but couldn't get through Eldest. It got too much into the political aspect of the story. Wasn't very interesting to me. I'm not even going to attempt the latest one.
Goodnight Elizabeth
Lusting for Blood

Post by Goodnight Elizabeth »

nissanmama wrote:
Goodnight Elizabeth wrote:Oh well. I have the Dark Hunter series to keep me busy for now.
I've had the second book on hold at the library for what feels like forever. I'm beginning to think it's one of those "lost" books that never gets taken out of the catalog.
Do you have the other books? When I'm finished with books 3 and 4, I can send 2-4 to you. I wish I could just buy them for you, but my wallet is empty. I can only buy 2 books a month now - paperbacks less than $10. It is sad. I really need a new job. My place of employment is getting progressively worse each week.
:evil:

I've always been a reader, but I did hit a lull there a few years ago. I read only Danielle Steel, Stephen King, and other yucky stuff. Going to college and being exposed to good literature saved me. I read The Time Traveler's Wife in 2004 when it came out, and my reading appetite was awakened again. I read another time traveling novel right after that for class (Octavia Butler's Kindred). I then couldn't tame the beast. When I was in school I bought books every week. I'd tell my husband they were for school. Since I was an English major, he bought it. If you are a plus size woman, you need to read Jennifer Weiner's Good in Bed. That book opened up my eyes that not all literary heroines are skinny and perfect.

I guess not ONE book changed my life, but many books changed my life is several small ways.
Squee! Thank you, Nena!
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

GNE - I have all first five of the Sookie series, I can send them to you. Nima, I can share with you as well or GNE can pass on. I don't mind sharing these books.

GNE - I am SO glad you recommended "Good in Bed." At first I thought I was going to hate it. The first few pages were torturous for me, but after I read his actual article...to me it was such a dramatic twist so early in the book. It hooked me! I read the whole book and LOVED it, such a fabulous coming of age type story. She really learns about herself, her perceptions of people, it's really, really, really, good.

Ouisa - I haven't read "The Hunger Games" but did put it on my list to read on Shelfari because of SM's recommendation. Plus, I checked out the synopsis on B&N and it looks good. I have it on my list for the library...who KNOWS when I will get it.

Currently I have been reading books loaned to me by my book buddy/RL friend. I've been going through Patricia Briggs. I took a break last night and started "The Magical Christmas Cat" which is good. However, I need to get through the Truth Series by Dawn Cook since I see my friend on Friday for our book exchange.
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
Goodnight Elizabeth
Lusting for Blood

Post by Goodnight Elizabeth »

Honestly, I struggled with Good in Bed, too. After watching In Her Shoes, also written by Jennifer Weiner, I finally decided to brave through it. I read it in very long emotional day. I've read Little Earthquakes and Goodnight Nobody by J.W. as well. The books are stand alone. No series. She has written a new one, a sequal with Cannie, our heroine from Good in Bed, but I've not read it yet. I've been too wrapped up in paranoromantical lit.

Una: I would love to borrow the books. I'm sending Nima books 2-4 of Dark Hunter as soon as I finish them this week. Do you still have my snail mail address?
Squee! Thank you, Nena!
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

GNE Of course, SuperTwin, I will send them out today. :D

I liked Goodnight Nobody, but it didn't connect with me as much as Good in Bed did. I would love to read the continuation of Cannie's story though. I'll check my library and see if they have it (and get one the list). Have you ever read Jennifer Crusie? I have read (compliments of my local book buddy friend) I think 10 of her books. I have really enjoyed them. I can give you a few of my top favorites (or you can check out my shelfari reviews). I do try to make sure I review each book I read now.
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
MRK
Fishing with Charlie

Post by MRK »

I'm only on the first discussion...

Of the four books in the Twilight Saga, what scene would you like to read from Edward's perspective? And of course tell us why!

I would Love to see Edwards POV in New Moon when Bella runs into him under the clock tower...and every other part of every other book.

I want to know his thoughts about: How can Bella be alive, OMG Bella is alive...why is she hesitating when I touch her....and of course what ALice says to him via mind vodoo....awesome!
And...they were pretty quiet so, what was he thinking the whole way home?

Alices POV when she sees kinda whats happening in BD when Bella gets knocked up :)

I would love Esme to have a spin-off...she loves them all so much, that we'd get to see some of all of them...

Lafcadio-the Lion Who Shot Back is my book recommendation

Book that changed my life....Those Who Save us by -Blum (cant think of her first name) Its an amazing story...
December
Muse of Philosophical Discussion

Post by December »

MRK wrote:And...they were pretty quiet so, what was he thinking the whole way home?
Stephenie posted something about this one a while back on the Old Lex. Asked why Edward didn't say anything to Bella during that long flight back from Volterra, she said he was partly hoping to get her to fall asleep -- he could see how utterly exhausted she was.

I'll see if I can find the quote...

ETA:
hmmm. Can't find the one I was remembering (maybe I dreamt it?...). But did find this instead:

Stephenie Wrote:
As for the long plane silence: Edward feels that Bella deserves the chance to speak first. He's actually expecting the castigating and the slapping that some of you thought Bella should have delivered. He's waiting for the shock to wear off so that she can screech at him. Bella, as we know, is not speaking because she's trying to put off the "goodbye" conversation that she thinks is coming. They only start talking when Edward gets impatient with the waiting. Bella would have waited forever in silence if she'd thought that would prolong their time together.
“When did you ever promise to kill yourself falling out of Charlie’s tree?”
MRK
Fishing with Charlie

Post by MRK »

December wrote:
MRK wrote:And...they were pretty quiet so, what was he thinking the whole way home?
Stephenie posted something about this one a while back on the Old Lex. Asked why Edward didn't say anything to Bella during that long flight back from Volterra, she said he was partly hoping to get her to fall asleep -- he could see how utterly exhausted she was.

I'll see if I can find the quote...

ETA:
hmmm. Can't find the one I was remembering (maybe I dreamt it?...). But did find this instead:

Stephenie Wrote:
As for the long plane silence: Edward feels that Bella deserves the chance to speak first. He's actually expecting the castigating and the slapping that some of you thought Bella should have delivered. He's waiting for the shock to wear off so that she can screech at him. Bella, as we know, is not speaking because she's trying to put off the "goodbye" conversation that she thinks is coming. They only start talking when Edward gets impatient with the waiting. Bella would have waited forever in silence if she'd thought that would prolong their time together.
AWWWW....God I love Edward, seriously...the more I learn about him the more I love him...my poor husband...;)
cullengirl
Cataloging the Cullen Library

Post by cullengirl »

Hey, All! I thought I venture out into this thread and check it out. Glad I did!

Re: Edward's pov on any part of the TW saga and why- I'd like to know what happend between the birthday party and the goodbye chapter in NM. I can understand his reasoning, but jumping to that extreme?

I would love a book about Carlisle and to see how it all got started- the formation of the Cullen clan, Carlisle meeting the Volutri, etc.

Re: Book that had a big impact..I wasn't an avid reader until I hit 5th grade. I didn't find anything interesting and at the time preferred to watch tv. it's kinda hard to believe especially when I tell people that I'm working on my MLS (Masters of Library Sciences). Now, I need to have or read a book in order to feel complete. If not, I feel like something is missing. Weird, I know.

There have been several that had made a long lasting impact and one of them is Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller. Although it is a play, it really opened my eyes as to what the American Dream really means and the various definitions of being successful. I actually used the book in an essay that I was writing for when I applied to grad school.

Currently, I'm absorbed in the YA lit, but I read just about everything. I've noticed that my criteria for adult lit has increased as a result.
“Darkness will never take me…because I have you. Light of my life, Marissa. That’s what you are.”-LR
Banner by the awesome, beautiful and incredible Nena!
MRK
Fishing with Charlie

Post by MRK »

cullengirl wrote:Hey, All! I thought I venture out into this thread and check it out. Glad I did!

Re: Edward's pov on any part of the TW saga and why- I'd like to know what happend between the birthday party and the goodbye chapter in NM. I can understand his reasoning, but jumping to that extreme?

I would love a book about Carlisle and to see how it all got started- the formation of the Cullen clan, Carlisle meeting the Volutri, etc.

Re: Book that had a big impact..I wasn't an avid reader until I hit 5th grade. I didn't find anything interesting and at the time preferred to watch tv. it's kinda hard to believe especially when I tell people that I'm working on my MLS (Masters of Library Sciences). Now, I need to have or read a book in order to feel complete. If not, I feel like something is missing. Weird, I know.

There have been several that had made a long lasting impact and one of them is Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller. Although it is a play, it really opened my eyes as to what the American Dream really means and the various definitions of being successful. I actually used the book in an essay that I was writing for when I applied to grad school.

Currently, I'm absorbed in the YA lit, but I read just about everything. I've noticed that my criteria for adult lit has increased as a result.
A carlise book would be awesome...and I would like to see Edwards thoughts during that time as well...
MLS is cool...I'm trying to go for Masters in information Science...archiving... :)

YA lit tends to help me get away from the reality of life a little easier than Adult Lit...it's nice to live in make-believe for awhile ;)