Required School Reading

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
sarah!
Digging the Castle Motif
Location: Tieing Derek in thunderball, having poke wars with Logan, and woiloping with sam!

Re: Required School Reading

Post by sarah! »

We just finished Lord of the Flies. I didn't like it that much.
ImageImage
BLF-Logan, Twinny-Chels, Jell-o! My Twi-guys-Derek and Logs, Lemur 4 LIFE!
Lacuna Scion
Fishing with Charlie

Post by Lacuna Scion »

^^Cool. Nothing like shipwrecked children who eat each other right? I never got through that one.

In high school we actually read some pretty good books. Others hated them, but maybe it's just because I loved the classics.
  • The Great Gatsby, The Catcher in the Rye, Great Expectations, Romeo and Juliet, Julius Caesar, To Kill a Mockingbird, Their Eyes Were Watching God, The Scarlet Letter (this one's really great, if you can get through the language), The Crucible, The Death of a Salesman, The Outsiders, Chronicles Vol. 1 (Bob Dylan's Autobiography), Huck Finn, Native Son (way disturbing don't ever read it), Hot Zone (all about an Ebola outbreak near Washington DC - so good)
Wow I can't believe they got us to read all that in high school. :lol: And there are more I'm sure.

Now, in my first couple of semesters of college they've assigned some... unappealing books. Books that just don't strike a fancy with me. They're all from one class and I haven't been able to get through any of them unfortunately.

I'm a History major. Believe me, you can't do that major without a love for the written word!
Team Leah - The Crappy Little Renegade Team | Team Esme
Team Carlisle | Screw You Freaks! I pick Ben! | Volturi - Rosalind
dazzlingdynamite
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by dazzlingdynamite »

sarah! wrote:We just finished Lord of the Flies. I didn't like it that much.
I didn't hate Lord of the Flies . . . and yeh, to the above post it's that one. I didn't hate it nearly as much as Catcher in the Rye or The Lost World.
Call That a Comeback?
YOU ME AT SIX
sarah!
Digging the Castle Motif
Location: Tieing Derek in thunderball, having poke wars with Logan, and woiloping with sam!

Post by sarah! »

Yeah I didn't really hate it.
I just wasn't as interested in it.
ImageImage
BLF-Logan, Twinny-Chels, Jell-o! My Twi-guys-Derek and Logs, Lemur 4 LIFE!
rain.on.me
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by rain.on.me »

Right now we're reading short stories...and so far I hate them. Just finished The Most Dangerous Game, and I thought that one was alright.

Before we started short stories though we were reading Great Expectations, all 40 chapters being a waste of my life lol.
Carrisa
Officially Bitten!
Location: Gushing over my favorite couple while obsessing over various other fandoms

Post by Carrisa »

We finished A Separate Peace by John Knowles a while ago. Now, I know that this story has this huge meaning behind it, but the narrator jumped around so much and carried on about some of the most meaningless things that I didn't get the message behind the novel. I just let my teacher tell it to me.

Now we're reading plays. We just finished with Antigone, which I'll admit I didn't read and I really should read it before the test. Then I think we're doing Cesar (by Shakespeare) next. I'm going to be completely honest: I did not appreciate Romeo and Juliet at all. As a matter of fact, I found the whole thing but the message behind it ridiculous. I'm not sure if I'll like this play any better....
"Got it memorized?"
Visit me on Gaia Online if you would like: http://www.gaiaonline.com/profiles/Mina_May
rain.on.me
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by rain.on.me »

Carrisa wrote:We finished A Separate Peace by John Knowles a while ago. Now, I know that this story has this huge meaning behind it, but the narrator jumped around so much and carried on about some of the most meaningless things that I didn't get the message behind the novel. I just let my teacher tell it to me.

Now we're reading plays. We just finished with Antigone, which I'll admit I didn't read and I really should read it before the test. Then I think we're doing Cesar (by Shakespeare) next. I'm going to be completely honest: I did not appreciate Romeo and Juliet at all. As a matter of fact, I found the whole thing but the message behind it ridiculous. I'm not sure if I'll like this play any better....
We had to read A Separate Peace not too long ago, too. I actually liked that one, but i agree with you about it jumping around alot. yeah, i had no idea it was about self discovery until my teacher said it lol.

I also didn't like Romeo & Juliet...i thought i was the only one lol.
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

I'm not in school anymore. But most of the time I could stand to read the required reading, I'm a big reader I love it it's my favorite hobby. (It's been almost 6 years since I graduated GASP and I can't really remember anything I read that was required.)

The only thing I really hated was when a teacher would make us listen to it on tape and follow along in a book. It drove my crazy I would always read head. It just went too slow. I'm a fast reader & so going at a snails pace was really annoying.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
emmettsbiggestfan
Learning to Love Green

Post by emmettsbiggestfan »

We had to read The Outsiders this year, and that is now one of my favorite books. :D Right now we're reading Tom Sawyer, and so far it's sort of boring, but my teacher promised that it would get better.
Proud Hand Laborer in EDC, Inc.
Private Vanessa Frost in Jasper's Confederate Army
purple_panda
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by purple_panda »

emmettsbiggestfan wrote:We had to read The Outsiders this year, and that is now one of my favorite books.

I read The Outsiders for school too, it was really good. The movie was confusing though, I couldn't tell who was who. lol Tom Cruise was in the movie.
I was required to read Bar Code Tatoo and it was really good it has a sequel Bar Code REbellion and I'm anxious to read that