Stereotyping

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
blasphemous_contessa
Working in the Garage with Jacob
Location: The library...or work...course if I was at work I wouldn't be online, so I must be at a library

Re: Stereotyping

Post by blasphemous_contessa »

The Twilighter stereotypes do get on my nerves a bit, especially because I was 15 when the book first came out and only read it because there were vampires in it, hate the JoBros and HSM.

I also hate the stereotype that only lonely goth kids like vampires. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? Or that only white people can be goth or like rock music. People look at me and think I must have two kids by now, smoke cannibus, not be able to pronounce anything longer than my name (and/or have an unpronouncable name) and hate white people.

Actually there are soooo many stereotypes. I'm supposedly homophobic because I have religion or a devil worshipper because I read sci-fi, fantasy, and horror. I must have no friends because I know HOW to read. Gah, the proverbial they gets on my nerves with their stupid assumptions.

I used to try to get my friends to classify me, put me in a box based on what they know about me and surprise of surprises I don't match anyone's preconcieved notions of what an eighteen-year-old, vampire loving, literate, mixed girl in the south is supposed to be like....actually that right there was breaking a few stereotypes in one sentence. Go me.

Yeah, stereotyopes bug me
That one's for Ianto. Risen Mitten, Life Knife, and that old classic...Stun Gun.
Jasper<3
Gone Fishing with Harry

Post by Jasper<3 »

addictedbooklover wrote:I'm a relatively new fan... August last year.
Practically all movies based on books convert new fans to the books, but people seem to think it's only because of the movie that people read the book!
I'm a relatively new fan, too... June last year. I picked the book up off a shelf knowing nothing about it, read it, and fell in love. I read New Moon and Eclipse right away, and couldn't wait for Breaking Dawn. I had no idea about a movie until after I was into the books. I am just as hardcore as anyone, and actually, of course I love the movie, but I'd prefer it wasn't as popular. I think all those movie fans are annoying as heck! Well, that's a stereotype. Most of them. The ones that think they are SOO cool because they saw the movie and so they automatically know everything.
List, Gnat ♥
edward'sstupidlamb
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by edward'sstupidlamb »

I don't really think it's fair to say that tweens just like twilight because of the movie and the actors in it. I'm a pretty new Twilight fan and I wasn't going to read because it didn't seem interesting (I was clearly wrong :roll: ) But I heard that it was going to be a movie and read the book, because I always do that before seeing movies. Not because of the actors in it, I had no idea about it other than it would be a movie. I don't really fit into the tween category, but I do know twilight fans that age who read Twilight, not because of the movie
Sorry that was kind of redundent I'm really tired :)
Image Image
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

^^I hope you don't think I was pointing fingers at anyone here. And I know some tweens that are really genuinely in the books. But I also know tween who are really genuinely just in it for the actors, and sometimes just the hype in general.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
DramaPrincezz013
Wrestling With Emmett
Location: Bouncing back and forth between Forks and Mystic Falls

Post by DramaPrincezz013 »

You go onto youtube videos that say "I Hate Twilight" and they say something along these lines, "Twilight is for fat emo 14 year old girls with no social life that dellude themselves with thinking someday some vampire will sweep them off their feet" It's like SHUT UP YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING SO GO CRAWL INTO A HOLE AND DIE!!!!!!!!! Okay, well maybe not that extreme, but you get it....Sorry, I had to let that out... :roll: :)
The ListV2~Apple::::Mafia~Eva DiMarco::::On bunches of teams!
"You're the closest to heaven that I'll ever be, and I don't wanna go home right now." </3
edward'sstupidlamb
Hanging Up on Jessica

debussygirl wrote:^^I hope you don't think I was pointing fingers at anyone here. And I know some tweens that are really genuinely in the books. But I also know tween who are really genuinely just in it for the actors, and sometimes just the hype in general.
Ohhh ok, makes more sence now :D .
Image Image
addictedbooklover
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by addictedbooklover »

But then, some people read it because they want to know what all the fuss is about, and end up actually liking it because of the story. There are a lot of exceptions to stereotypes that people automatically dismiss

Team Jacethper! (Jacob, Seth and Jasper) Now, to fit Leah in there...

Thanks Cocoa for the banner :D

Jadey
Resisting Temptation With Carlisle

Post by Jadey »

Stereotyping just ruins the world - but ya can't get away from it.
Ya just gotta get to know people.

There's this chick in a few of my classes, but I kept my distance from her, because she looked like one of those girls that seems too cool for everyone, ya know, rich, very pretty.. but I wasn't all "omg what a total biyotch! that snobby cow!" Just a bit cautious and 'afraid' :lol:
Then she became friends with my friend, then we became friends..
And she is completely different to what I thought. She is a really lovely, kind person.

So, young grasshoppers, the lesson here is to get to know people, and don't jump to conclusions and whatnot

:lol:
^ by ForJazz
"Theres a lot of like, feminist issues with the book. Like, 'Oh, she's so devoted to him' and well yeah, she's in love with him"
- Kristen Stewart
Rexin
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Rexin »

blasphemous_contessa wrote:The Twilighter stereotypes do get on my nerves a bit, especially because I was 15 when the book first came out and only read it because there were vampires in it, hate the JoBros and HSM.

I also hate the stereotype that only lonely goth kids like vampires. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? Or that only white people can be goth or like rock music. People look at me and think I must have two kids by now, smoke cannibus, not be able to pronounce anything longer than my name (and/or have an unpronouncable name) and hate white people.

Actually there are soooo many stereotypes. I'm supposedly homophobic because I have religion or a devil worshipper because I read sci-fi, fantasy, and horror. I must have no friends because I know HOW to read. Gah, the proverbial they gets on my nerves with their stupid assumptions.

I used to try to get my friends to classify me, put me in a box based on what they know about me and surprise of surprises I don't match anyone's preconcieved notions of what an eighteen-year-old, vampire loving, literate, mixed girl in the south is supposed to be like....actually that right there was breaking a few stereotypes in one sentence. Go me.

Yeah, stereotyopes bug me
Have you ever noticed that the people who do the most stereotyping are the ones who think they have a really high status amongst their peers? o_O at my school it was like that, wonder what the dealio is. And dude, I was considered an Atheist once because I said I liked physics and science(SO WRONG X( ). Religion is a tenderbox for assumptions.
My mind has changed
My body's framed,
But God I like it
My heart's aflame
My heart is strained
But God I like it
edward'sstupidlamb
Hanging Up on Jessica

this is only kinda a stereotype... anyways. So I was staying after school one day in science to finish my science test. I finished and so did the two other people (one was my friend the other... ehh not so much.) So we were all sitting there kind of bored, but since I really didnt understand the lesson that day I went up and asked the teacher about it. And apparently that means I'm not smart
other guy in the room: oh wow how did you not get that
me: um, well did you understand it?
other guy: no
me: then why are you criticizing me?
other guy: because you should be as smart as ("very smart" guy's name here)
me: um how would you know he's smarter than me? And why?
other guy: because he is and you always get good grades
me: ugh! :x :evil:
Image Image