Writers Central

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
PiXiE_Shopaholic1025
Buying a Better Raincoat

Re: Writers Central

Post by PiXiE_Shopaholic1025 »

I love to write fiction. I write all the time. So far I'm in the midst of writing like three or four stories. Two of them are on FictionPress. I write some Fanfiction as well, but only when I want to escape the harsh reality of creating my own universe. I get what most of you are saying, I start a story and then all of the sudden BAM! another character with another story comes in to my head and won't shut up. So I start up that story, and leave the other one behind for a few days. And then the other character gets jealous and demands my attention. It's really hard.

I also write scripts, like for movies and stuff. I have quite a few started and only one that's actually finished! Actually two, but I haven't edited that one yet. I love writing scripts because when I want to write a story I see it as a movie, so it's just easier writing a script.

If you want to read some of my stories check them out here.

http://www.fictionpress.com/~fairyworld1217
|| "And I'm a Virgo!" || "This hostage stuff is fun." || ~Forever Switzerland~ ||
BlueOrchid
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by BlueOrchid »

I haven't really written anything that great, but I really like working with 1000000monkeys.com it helps me get creative juices going and my writing has really improved. Check it out, I highly recommend it!
gimpat01
Settled in Forks

Post by gimpat01 »

I used to write in a popcorn thread on another message board about 3 yrs ago and that was pretty awesome. Hearing other peoples ideas are very encouraging and productive for me.

I had a very vivid day dream last week when I was trying to take a nap. It turned into a 4pg outline for a movie that I've managed to pen 3 scenes for. I also did a character study for my two main characters which helps when I try to write the transition stuff. I even got as particular as to their fav ice cream flavor and color and such.

When I was telling a friend about it, I tried to describe in as what genre it would fit in. Yeah this is what I came up with.

It's a Dark Romantic Historical Musically Influenced Comedy. It's Almost Famous meets Elizabethtown and has coffee with Pride & Prejudice before getting dessert with National Treasure and Forrest Gump. If that makes any sense at all.

When I can't figure out how I want a scene to play, I start thinking about the extra stuff in the scene... i.e. clothes, music in the background, etc. Sometimes I'll put a certain song on repeat and it will actually pull the dialogue out of me.

Like someone else already posted on here, I hear the characters talking to me/through me so sometimes the stuff just comes out in floods. Having a trusting and kind sounding board of an english major sister in law is also helpful. :)

Good luck to all the writers on here. We so totally rock!
"my oh my how my blood boils
its sweetest for you
it strips me down bare
and gets me into my favourite mood"
Adele - "Crazy for You"

Yes my avatar is a cake I made. Feel free to pm me questions about it...
Feathers
Lusting for Blood

Post by Feathers »

You know, initially, I thought I was too crazy, too involved or too emotional when my characters become so real to me, they're actually like real people in my head. (Schitzo, anyone?)

But that seems to be... way more common that I thought it was. Maybe that's how most writers roll.

My thing is I don't outline. It's all one big blob in my head, just waiting to be written on paper. I just start at the begining, I know the end, and as I'm writing crap just happens in the middle.

Do outlines really help everyone else? My stories are so organic; the ending sometimes changes as I keep writing.

Oh! And I write a lot of fantasty, like, vampires, demons, angels stuff. I've always loved that genre - that's why I was drawn to Twilight - but it wasn't until after reading Twilight that I decided to start writing, but sometimes I feel silly, writing about vampires, like I'm copying Stephenie Meyer or something. (Even though my stories are nothing like hers and my vampire rules are totally different.) Kind of like she copyrighted the idea of vampires, or something. Does anyone else get that feeling (and I know it's perfectly fine for me to write about them, I just feel that way anyway sometimes) and if you do, how do you get over it?

<3 Ren
She used to be human, and then it changed. How did she die? Why did she meet James? One couple’s unlikely love story is another person’s untimely tragedy. Ashes
Ren's newest story!
dragon-girl
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by dragon-girl »

[quote="Feathers"My thing is I don't outline. It's all one big blob in my head, just waiting to be written on paper. I just start at the begining, I know the end, and as I'm writing crap just happens in the middle.[/quote]

That's what my novel is like. I knew some points of where I wanted to be in the end, and I knew roughly how it started, so I sat down and wrote it. All this cool stuff happened in the middle that I didn't know anything about before. I'm just about finished the first draft, so once I've done that I'll go and tidy it up.
PiXiE_Shopaholic1025
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by PiXiE_Shopaholic1025 »

Feathers wrote:Do outlines really help everyone else? My stories are so organic; the ending sometimes changes as I keep writing.
I don't outline. Me and outlines do not get along at all. I tried during Nanowrimo and completely failed. It's safe to say that I will NEVER outline for my Nano story again. Next time, it'll be just whatever I feel like writing down that day.

Anyone else doing Nanowrimo?
|| "And I'm a Virgo!" || "This hostage stuff is fun." || ~Forever Switzerland~ ||
Feathers
Lusting for Blood

Post by Feathers »

Certainly thinking about it, although I'm not completely familiar with it.

I know 50,000 words in 30 days or something like that, but does it have to be a complete story? Because I'm right in the middle of a story, can I jump into Nano and just start counting words and hit 50k more by the end of the month? Or is the idea to produce a novella, started and finished during the month?

<3 Ren
She used to be human, and then it changed. How did she die? Why did she meet James? One couple’s unlikely love story is another person’s untimely tragedy. Ashes
Ren's newest story!
dragon-girl

Post by dragon-girl »

Ren, you don't need to finnish your story during Nanowrimo, that is, you can keep writing and end up with something longer, but you do have to start from scratch. You can have a plan before November, but you can't start your story beforehand.
Iris Messenger

Post by Iris Messenger »

what is this Nanowramo?
http://portabellaswan.wordpress.com/ <--- fanfiction/twilight blog
http://twilightirc.wordpress.com/ <--- twilight chat
click on banner for graphics gallery

banner and avatar made by me: i take requests
dragon-girl

Post by dragon-girl »

Iris Messenger wrote:what is this Nanowramo?
Here: NaNoWriMo