Writers Central

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Iris Messenger
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Writers Central

Post by Iris Messenger »

oh yeah! i tried to participate in that ... it kind of didn't work because I didn't have the time to write so much and still take care of my school-work. maybe when i get better at procrastinating! thanks for the link!
http://portabellaswan.wordpress.com/ <--- fanfiction/twilight blog
http://twilightirc.wordpress.com/ <--- twilight chat
click on banner for graphics gallery

banner and avatar made by me: i take requests
dragon-girl

Post by dragon-girl »

No problem. I tried to do it last year, because a lot of my friends on livejournal were doing it.
I got about 10,000 words before the school thing got in the way for me, too.

I'm going to give it another shot this year, though! And this time, I want to have a plan ready to go before it starts.
Iris Messenger

Post by Iris Messenger »

same ... i'm thinking of maybe planning it enough that I have the chapter names, and have an idea of how many words per chapter i need.

i tried it last year and school got in the way with me as well. i'm hoping this year i'll be better organized in the amount of time I can spend writing!

twilight_obsessor013
Learning to Love Green
Location: With my Twilight Pinay's =D XD Mahal Kita Ate Camille!

Post by twilight_obsessor013 »

This is possibly like the tenth time I've said something about the books that I'm writing and for the first time in my life, when I told my mom that I was working on a book, she actually asked me if I wanted to submit it. I was like: No way, because no one is going to get this book because this is stuck in the middle of a bunch of other books.

Okay, so I am writing books, and I first started when I was in third grade. There, I wrote a small book (that had three paged chapters HA) called Fly High, Little Butterfly, and it was about a bunch of girls that were best friends who lived in this parallel world with these huge spirits that you can obtain and take control called Powergirls. (Weird how guys would have them ^_~) The girls watched this thing called the Parade of Butterflies that happen every year and they also tend to the butterflies when ever they fall out of the sky to their health. Which brings up the huge question: CAN YOU HEAL A BUTTERFLY BACK TO ITS ORIGINAL HEALTH?!

I didn't think so.

After that, in fifth grade, we were reading Hatchet by Gary Pulsen, and our teacher wanted us to write a prediction in a story format from where we were standing. Out of twenty one students, only two got higher than Ds and Fs. One happened to be my friend Philip and the other was me. I got an A out of TWENTY ONE STUDENTS. That, in my time, was pretty impressive. The only thing that I didn't do right was explain why the water was murky. The prediction went that Brian would find a cat tail, use it like a snorkel and swim to the bottom of the lake where the plane was. He would then, grab the survival kit that was still stuck in the plane and get out. That's kinda how I did it.

After awhile, I began to write fan-fictions for the former popular anime show Digimon and submitting them online. If you look on Animeadmirers.com for Digimon, a girl named digimon_dreamer or Cheyser13 that was me. I wrote those. Then, I changed to write Naruto and this thing called Dream Team. It was similar to the Powergirls with having the parallel world and Earth, but they didn't use the Powergirls that much.

The Book Keeper Destiny came out when I wanted to end the Dream Team. They were the enemies of the Dream Team and killed most of them with their guardian powers. I scratched that out and now the BKD is a lot better and cleaner. And before, Katelyn, the protagonist came from a huge dark abyss and I kinda didn't like that negative feeling in her. She still has some of it, but I cleaned it up a bit.

Here's the summary for the first book of the BKD: Katelyn Bronx has been hiding under aliases and lies. In fact, her name, Katelyn Bronx is a full alias. A huge secret that no one else besides her Book Keeper Master, Namene, is that she was supposed to be dead in a freak car crash in Wisconsin if it wasn't for Namene to clone her and make Leslie (Katelyn's real name) look much more gruesome. But when a friend of Namene and his student trashes the Seattle apartment, Katelyn finds herself stuck with dealing with her neglecting Master and the new student. Where will she turn next?

I usually don't have chapter names, just go by Chapter One. But there is just one book that goes paralell to the Book Keeper Destiny that has the chapter names after characters in the book. Like the first chapter is Anne of Petrion (one of the cities) Part One
ImageImage
Mahal Kita <3 Ate Camille!
EDWARD CULLEN DESERVES HIS OWN STORY!!!
Feathers
Lusting for Blood

Post by Feathers »

How interesting! I've been writing fanfiction, too, and working on my other stuff.

Here's a question: Do you write both fanfiction and original fiction? For those of you who write original fiction, did you start out writing fanfiction? Fanfiction writers: interested in trying your own? I'm wondering how the two relate. Is there anyone who only does original fiction, and if so, why not ever try fanfiction?

And another question: How did you get into writing? What first prompted you to pick up the pen? (Or, in my case, hit the keyboard)?

Discuss!

<3 Ren
She used to be human, and then it changed. How did she die? Why did she meet James? One couple’s unlikely love story is another person’s untimely tragedy. Ashes
Ren's newest story!
gimpat01
Settled in Forks

Post by gimpat01 »

I started with fan fiction on another site a long time ago. Then I came to the realization that I narrate my life in my head all the time and I have one healthy imagination to go along with it. So I started writing things (or typing as it were) down and keeping them on a zip drive.

Alot of the time I'd only get half finished parts of chapters and what not done. It was frustrating and annoying to say the least. Then I had my dream/day dream last week and I've been able to generate alot of work from it. Currently it's looking like a screenplay but there is one part that could very well be a chapter in a book. I may turn it into both just to make myself happy, who knows.

What about everyone else? I use troubled times in my life to inspire scenes.... what inspires y'all?
"my oh my how my blood boils
its sweetest for you
it strips me down bare
and gets me into my favourite mood"
Adele - "Crazy for You"

Yes my avatar is a cake I made. Feel free to pm me questions about it...
Feathers
Lusting for Blood

Post by Feathers »

For me, half the time I'm living in my head. And I was scared lately because I realized my first few chapters to my current story are going to get changed completely. To my horror, I found myself deleting huge chunks of chapters and leaving skeleton outlines. And then it just happened. What needed to fill the holes just happened naturally.

So, if you jump around, and write different chapters first, when you're planning on posting a finished product, that's not so bad.

Some people argue that writing naturally as it comes is better, and having a strict writing regiment where you write so many words per day is how to actually become an author. I'm definitely the first category, but I'm not sure which is better. Anyone have any thoughts on that, too?

<3 Ren
She used to be human, and then it changed. How did she die? Why did she meet James? One couple’s unlikely love story is another person’s untimely tragedy. Ashes
Ren's newest story!
Iris Messenger

Post by Iris Messenger »

i started out writing original fiction, and use fanfiction as a way to exercise my muscles, so to speak. in a way they are both as difficult as the other.

in fanfiction you have to try to keep the characters true to themselves, when you don't really know all of their motivations.

in original fiction you have to make up your own characters — but they be whoever you want them to be.

gimpat01
Settled in Forks

Post by gimpat01 »

When I did the character study the other day for my main characters it was like christmas morning to me. I'd never really thought of the freedom in creating someone exactly how you wanted them. Talk about fun... making them like certain things and having certain quirks... kind like playing Dr. Frankenstein but without the crazy side effects.

Now writing dialogue is a totally different beast. I had to warn my family that I would be having conversations out loud that wouldn't make an ounce of sense, just so they wouldn't lock me up in a rubber room somewhere. Anyone else have issues writing out dialogue?

And what about writing to music? I have a set of CD's that I listen to when I'm writing and it's like they're the catalyst for pushing the words onto the page. Am I the only who does this?
"my oh my how my blood boils
its sweetest for you
it strips me down bare
and gets me into my favourite mood"
Adele - "Crazy for You"

Yes my avatar is a cake I made. Feel free to pm me questions about it...
dragon-girl

Post by dragon-girl »

I started with original fiction. I didn't know fanfiction existed until I found the Lex, and through it, Ramblings & Thoughts.
For me, fanfiction is looking at what character X was thinking at point Y, and things like that. It taught me how to make characters in my original stuff more realistic - deeper, you know?

How did I get into writing? I've always wanted to write. I guess I write because I've got stories to tell. I enjoy them in my head, so I'd like to eventually share some of them, hopefully.