Adult thread: Dark Hunter Series by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
fanMNM
Veggie-Vampire

Re: Adult thread: Dark Hunter Series by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Post by fanMNM »

Was today the day we were opening up discussion on Fang and Aimee's book? I know a few of us have been discussing in PMs, but I thought we could copy and paste or soemthing so everyone could chime in on the issues we thought up? :D

Thank you Naureen!!
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

Ha, I think you are right, FanMNM, today is the day we can start publicly discuss Bad Moon Rising. Would you like to start off the discussion?
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
fanMNM
Veggie-Vampire

Post by fanMNM »

Thanks, una! I'd love to start off the discussion. I'm going to apologize to una, cullengirl, and twilightmom, who have all heard most, in not all, of what I'm going to say already!

There was so much of the book that took place in the past...and some of it was interesting to see from Fang's perspective after reading it from Vane's and others' perspectives. I liked that Fang was caught in the Nether Realm and not just withdrawn into himself. It never seemed to mesh well with his fighter personality to just go into a semi-coma after the Daimon attack.

What did everyone think of Thorn, the HellChasers, Zeke, and Ravenna? It's a whole new story line for her to go off on with the fallen angels and such...and I'm afraid I'm going to be lost with all the different story lines in the series! LOL We have the Weres, the Daimons, the DarkHunters, the Greek gods, the Atlantean gods, the Sumerian gods, demons, and the Dream Hunters...wow...I'm sure I'm even missing some in there! Now we have HellChasers. Wow.

What do you think of Fang and Aimee's being mates? We discussed how we all thought it would work out because we didn't think they could be mates after the mess with Maggie and Wren. I thought it was going to be all complicated and then they just turn out to be natural mates? Seemed a little off to me but maybe it was just because I was expecting some messy thing? And what did everyone think of the ending with Mama and Papa Peltier?? I didn't see it coming but with the mess Mama had been making lately, I think it was the right way for the story to go. It made sense. I'm glad everything was resolved between Aimee and Mama Lo before she died. But there is still the issues of Aimee and Fang's children and what they will be...(I have to confess to getting this crossed with Riley and Mercy in the P/C series...LOL...I keep thinking that the dominant animal will determine their children's forms but that was P/C)

Interesting that Zeke describes the Malachai as being evil...since we know that it's Nick...what does that mean? Does he have to be evil or can he choose another way? Why would Ash train him if he is doomed to be evil? And if Jared is supposed to be the enemy (essentially the '"good" to Nick's "bad") then why did he say at the end of Dream Warrior that he is helping to train Nick?

Ok, I'm stopping there! :D

Thank you Naureen!!
LadyDi
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by LadyDi »

Thanks fanmnm for starting off the discussion!

1)Nicolette's death
I wasn't surprised by her death. I think she had done so many things that she was going to have to atone for, that redeeming her by saving Fang and sacrificing herself (and dying in the process) was the right move plot-wise. Mama Lo was seen as very nice and motherly up until Wren's book, when her mean side showed. She saw the error of her ways near the end. I was surprised at Papa Bear going, though I shouldn't have been - Fang's sister bonded with her mate and that's why she was doomed, even without being Tasered while giving birth. It's like Kenyon was giving us a clue.

2)The Past and Present Mix in Bad Moon Rising
I was also a little surprised about the evolution of Fang's character. From that scene in the swamp when Fang and Vane are being hung up for the crocs or the Daimons, I got the impression that Fang was a bit of a joker, a mouth, a guy devoted to his family. In Fang's book, he was a lot more moody and tormented, and the part in the swamp then seems oddly out of character. Aimee stayed true to form. The "real reason for the coma" was fascinating, although yes, my mind is reeling with a NEW set of demons, super-powerful secretive men (Jared, Jaden, Savitar, Thorn, etc. etc.) and rules to obey.

I'll say more later. Thanks for beginning!
This banner is designed by the one-of-a-kind talent known on the Lex as Fry. Thanks!
twilightmom
Fishing with Charlie

Post by twilightmom »

I'll add in my discussion - again, apologies to those who've already heard this...

I really enjoyed the book, but I was surprised how quickly the ending was. The book had so much build up... as I got to the end, I thought that maybe the story would end with the mating and there would be a cliff hanger and we would deal with the smack-down in the next book. I am so happy Fang and Aimee worked out... more down below on that. It was great to get away from the Dream Hunters for a bit.

I enjoyed "back story" and going "back in time" to review past events. It was a bit like she'd done before with a couple of the characters - was it Zarek and Talon maybe? I can't remember but we had a "mini" version of that before. About 3/4 into the book, I wanted to re-read Fury's story (in Dead After Dark) and recall what happened. NOW we know that Fang was basically AWOL during that time and heavy into demon stuff. I'll probably re-read that story again. I loved finding out that Fang and Aimee WEREN'T so innocent during all that time, too. *snicker*

One "not so great part" - TOO MANY NEW THINGS AGAIN! That does suck. Her mythology has gotten out of control!! It's too much to try and remember. There needs to be a tie in... PLEASE! I think at this point, we just have to take each book at a time and not try and follow every aspect. Kenyon will "remind" us of what is an important tie and fill in gaps.

I LOVE FANG AND AIMEE!!! I would have been SO UPSET if it didn't work out. And after Wren's mess, I figured, Kenyon as a writer, couldn't duplicate that form of "forced" mating. I love that they fell in LOVE before they had sex and confirmed mating. I love that they still wanted to be together no matter what. Mama Bear's death - Yep, pretty much expected it. I am very happy that we got to see the "good" mama bear before she died. It didn't occur to me, however, about the bonding and that Papa would also die. OH - and that half the family is Archadian... that was cool, too. I wonder who will take over her seat on the Omicron... (I'm typing without the book, so I KNOW I'm misspelling a lot). The book made it seem that the bears will have to give up their seat b/c of the "polluted" lineage now, but I also got the impression there may be problems with Vane and Fury's seats? Interesting. I found it interesting that Varek is also a cross breed.

I like how the bar is moving forward like Dante's bar with Fang and Aimee running it. Because now they don't HAVE to let in the ones that they don't want in. Plus the boys can now rough up trouble makers. This will make for interesting story telling. I think with Mama gone, it will calm down... Until Stone comes for revenge. Did we meet Stone and Eli in an earlier books? I think we did meet Varek. I guess the scene where the wolves save Aimee - maybe that was in Vane's book?

What did you think of the end when the Bears saw the Daimon's in the sunshine? I can't WAIT until ASH finds out. I wonder if the Dark Hunters will be granted the same right... Probably not b/c Appollo wouldn't allow them in the sun. Hmmm... And as Una said - will Appollo do anything to the Daimons because of it? Probably not... It's like the fact that the Destroyer showed the Appolites how to become Daimons - and the gods did nothing.

The other thing that does bother me a bit... Why weren't the Pelitiers more prepared? I mean - wouldn't Fang have warned them? When Varek found Fang and basically told him he had a choice - save his family, protect Aimee, Varek told him the plans that Eli had... When and What he would do. Why didn't Fang tell someone and why weren't the bears MORE ready??? That bugs me.

Can't wait until the next book!
Banner created by the incredibly talented Nena! THANK YOU, MY FRIEND!
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

I really enjoyed the book as well. I liked the overlap and seeing of parts of previous books from a different perspective. Especially since so much more was going on and we just didn't know.

I'm happy that the fates had paired Aimee and Fang together. I really enjoyed the progress of their relationship and the very Romeo and Juliet-esque nature of it. I really loved seeing the connection of Dev and Aimee. I was floored when I found out that Papa Bear was Arcadian. That was a shocker. I was surprised (and I really shouldn't have been) that Papa and Mama were bonded. I admit, I cried when Papa died. I eagerly look forward to Ash finding out about the now tanned Daimons.

I don't know why the Peltiers weren't warned that the demons were going to attack along with the other wolf pack. I know that the Peltiers were ready and waiting for an attack by Eli, but maybe that will come out in Dev's book (which is next, titled Scars and Souvenirs). Fang was so concentrated on Aimee, maybe he was just blinded or thought as Varek promised to watch over Aimee, he would warn the Peltiers. I'm not sure.

I wonder if poor Dev's tattoo might become real in his book...
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
twilightmom
Fishing with Charlie

Post by twilightmom »

una wrote:I wonder if poor Dev's tattoo might become real in his book...
NO!!!! What will become of the DH's now that Ash and Artimis are on the outs?
Banner created by the incredibly talented Nena! THANK YOU, MY FRIEND!
cullengirl
Cataloging the Cullen Library

Post by cullengirl »

I also enjoyed the book, however, I thought Fang's book was too short especially with all the back tracking in the first section of the book and then the new dilemma with Mama Lo & council.

I was shocked to learn about the Bear clan being half Arcadian and half Kigara (sp?). Finding out that Aimee and her youngest brother has special powers also threw me, I didn't see that one coming!

Re: Mama Lo: I can understand where she's coming from- she's lost two children already and wants more than anything to keep her family safe and a top priority. I wonder if she hated Wren because of the rumor that he killed his parents or if she just despised him because of his hybrid breed.

As for the Daimons out in the sun, I bet Ash does know. Come on, it's Ash. How could he not know? Like you, twimom, I'm very curious as to how DH are going to get their souls back considering the Ash and Artemis relationship. Plus, which god is going to turn on the DHs (not including Artemis and Apollo)? Would it be Ares or Hades?
una wrote:I wonder if poor Dev's tattoo might become real in his book...
I really doubt that is going to happen, considering Ravyn was a DH and a were-hunter. I think Kenyon isn't going that route.
“Darkness will never take me…because I have you. Light of my life, Marissa. That’s what you are.”-LR
Banner by the awesome, beautiful and incredible Nena!
skylarblue
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by skylarblue »

Hello Ladies! I have skipped all the posts because I haven't started BMR yet because I'm in the process of finishing Mercy's book for the Psy/Changling series. I am dying cause I want to read this book so bad and fill the need for my DH/WH.

I hope to be able to add to the discussion soon and post my questions because you all know that I have them and I can't wait to read about Fang and Aimee. I listened to a short audio snipit of the book and I'm so ready to dive head first into it.
EDC Inc~New Trainee Supervisor~Team Emmett!
Team Kellan~Proud Klutzer!
MS Virgin & Randomness Irregular!
fanMNM
Veggie-Vampire

Post by fanMNM »

I've always had suspicions about Dev's tattoo. I know it's just there as a goof on the DHs, but I've always thought it was alittle weird...always waited for a deeper meaning behind it to be revealed. But isn't his HEA supposed to be with a female DH? Maybe the tattoo just becomes important because his woman is a Dark Hunter? (Or am I off? I might not be remembering the snipet I read about Dev's book correctly...LOL)

Thank you Naureen!!