Wild about Harry, the Harry Potter book discussion

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
JenJen2112
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Re: Wild about Harry, the Harry Potter book discussion

Post by JenJen2112 »

I just finished rereading HBP last night and it made me realize something, I love how JKR isn't afraid to take risks...she kills off our favorite characters and we still love her...If everyone lived I think it would be pretty boring and predictable (nothing against the Twilight Saga but some parts were just too happy ending fairy tale) I'm gonna start rereading DH today so if I get into it like I did the last few times I'll be done in a few days...I don't know what would've happened if one of Harry's parents survived, it would be very different thats for sure...I don't know if Harry would still be as angry at Voldemort, or if Lily would've stepped aside Harry wouldn't have love protecting him like he did so Harry would've probably died
duffyrose
Settled in Forks

Post by duffyrose »

Harry Potter has been my favorite book series since I was 9 (I'm now 18). I actually finished re-reading the series yesterday for probably the millionth time. I just never get sick of it.

I think the series would be totally different if one of Harry's parents would've survived.
vampire_elf
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by vampire_elf »

I agree with JenJen about Rowling taking risks. And we still love her. BD was a bit too much of a happy ending in a way. Although I'll never understand why Rowling had to kill one of the twins. I imagine that George must be so lonely without Fred (I don't have the book with my so I hope I got that right!). As for killing all the people that were a bit like parents (Sirius and Dumbledore but also Lupin). I would say she did that because eventually Harry had to fight Voldemort on his own. Just the two of them!
If Harry's parents ahdn't died we wouldn't have the fantastic stories Rowling gave us. Harry wouldn't be who he is but he would have had a happier childhood for sure...

And I agree with duffyrose: one of my favorite books series and I can read the books again and again and they are still mazing, funny, touching...just as they were the first time. They even get better i think because you can see all the smal details and when you read them without two year gaps you can put all those littlepuzzle pieces together that make the story so extraordinary!

Banner by the amazing MRK!
Obsessed 20 something Twilighter
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

I saw on an interview with JKR she killed off Lupin and Tonks so readers could see the terrors of fighting, that there truly are orphans left behind. But she put Teddy in the epilogue so everyone would know he turned out okay.
Did you guys know that Mr. Weasley was going to die in the first plans? JKR was going to make it so that the snake really DID kill him in the 5th book. But then she didn't have the heart to kill him, so he got traded in for Lupin and Tonks.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
JenJen2112
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by JenJen2112 »

debussygirl wrote:I saw on an interview with JKR she killed off Lupin and Tonks so readers could see the terrors of fighting, that there truly are orphans left behind. But she put Teddy in the epilogue so everyone would know he turned out okay.
Did you guys know that Mr. Weasley was going to die in the first plans? JKR was going to make it so that the snake really DID kill him in the 5th book. But then she didn't have the heart to kill him, so he got traded in for Lupin and Tonks.
yeah I read that somewhere...and that she cries when she kills of her characters...I imagine she's even more attached to them than we are
skylarblue
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by skylarblue »

I never knew that she planned on killing off Mr. Weasley, that's a huge shocker. I could only imagine how the Weasley clan would have reacted to his death but then we saw how Mrs. Weasley let her inner "B" come out fighting Bellatrix. I think that if he was killed she would have been on her own mission to hunt down Voldy.
EDC Inc~New Trainee Supervisor~Team Emmett!
Team Kellan~Proud Klutzer!
MS Virgin & Randomness Irregular!
edwardlikeshaystacks
Often Mistaken for a Bear

Post by edwardlikeshaystacks »

debussygirl wrote:I saw on an interview with JKR she killed off Lupin and Tonks so readers could see the terrors of fighting, that there truly are orphans left behind. But she put Teddy in the epilogue so everyone would know he turned out okay.
Even though I was pretty devastated when Lupin and Tonks died, I probably wouldve bawled if JKR had killed off Mr. Weasley. I don't even want to imagine how much that would have changed the Weasley family in the last two books.
Team Quil: Clove Ottawa
Emmaline-Jane: is the "Toph" of Lexicalia.
EdwardandJacob
Wandering Through Town

Post by EdwardandJacob »

OPINION-- Honestly, I don't get why twilight and Harry Potter always end up getting compared with each other, i find it stupid. They have no similarities except for the fact that they are both best-selling books and that they are both fiction. Stop comparing them people who do! Personally i love twilight, but the writing style of Harry Potter is better.
Seriously, doesn't anyone else get tired of this? :geek:

PS (RANDOM)-- I'm re-reading Harry Potter and the Chamber of secrets! :D

Love Julie xD
And So the lion fell in love with the lamb, what a stupid lamb, what a masochistic lion.
Visit http://www.twilightersaga.webs.com <3
edwardlikeshaystacks
Often Mistaken for a Bear

Post by edwardlikeshaystacks »

Its probably because they both fall under the Fantasy genre and are or was in high demand amongst young adults and such. But other than that, I agree with you, they aren't similar at all in terms of storyline. Like I've mentioned a few times before, if Stephenie Meyer had JKR's writing style then the saga would be even better! Not that it isn't already great. :)
Team Quil: Clove Ottawa
Emmaline-Jane: is the "Toph" of Lexicalia.
Ifeellikerain
Learning to Love Green

Post by Ifeellikerain »

yeah I really hate that people compare these books, both twilight and harry potter are great for different reasons. I do personally like JKR writing style better but i dont think that twilight should have been written any other way. its just the way it is and i like it :)

also i always kinda lump them together in my head because i see them both as extremely successful stories about fantastically different lives told through the mind of a young but mature person who was thrown completely into this new world...its sort of like the best form of escapism, there isnt a one of us who would turn down a chance to go to hogwarts or fall in love with a vampire and we, like harry and bella, are all just normal people waiting for something amazing to happen!
ok i think i went a little crazy there, but thats how i see it for anyone who cares...