Gen X---The Thirty-Something Thread

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Goodnight Elizabeth
Lusting for Blood

Re: Gen X---The Thirty-Something Thread

Post by Goodnight Elizabeth »

I missed American Idol. Like someone said on FB, I really start to enjoy it when it's the top 24.

Class went very well tonight. I'm happy. I think it will be ok.

I still haven't discussed my best or worst instructors. Can't tonight. Will do tomorrow.
Squee! Thank you, Nena!
skylarblue
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by skylarblue »

GNE - glad to know class went well. I saw the second hour of American Idol and in my opinion you really didn't miss much. It seemed to me that they didn't show alot of the "bad" singers as normal but they were fixated on this girl who came to the audition in a bikini and while she didn't sing all that well they let her through.

One of my worst teachers was in 6th grade, he was horrible. I was going to a Baptist school and he was this ex-marine who tried to relate all subject matter to his military experience. The worst part was that he was a constant nose picker and it was so disgusting. I can't remember if I actually retained any information that I was taught that year. How distracting is it when you are trying to listen to what the teacher says and he's constantly picking his nose.

I've had alot of great teachers throughout my school years. The one that's the most memorable is my Death and Dying Professer in college. He had Parkinson's Disease but no matter how bad he was feeling, he always came to class with the attitude that everyone is going to learn something, whether or not it had to deal with the course. He had such a positive attitude on life (which was remarkable with what he was going through) yet he was able to accept and teach us all about what it's like to be dying and how he came to terms with his own mortality. He was such an inspiration because he didn't give up, he tried his best to overcome and push through life and live it to the fullest.
EDC Inc~New Trainee Supervisor~Team Emmett!
Team Kellan~Proud Klutzer!
MS Virgin & Randomness Irregular!
spookybell
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by spookybell »

LOL - this early part of Idol is so lame. I fell asleep halfway through. I love Idol when it get's serious. I admit. I vote! I also my my boys albums!!!! And no, Archi is NOT one of them.
Sometimes I am not satisfied with my signature!
dimber
Fishing with Charlie

Post by dimber »

In Italy we don't have Idol (I presume the American in the title make it a totally American program 8-) ) but a show called X-Factor. They have it also on UK tv...I think the format is pretty much like Idol: a series of singers or bands competing for a contract with a record company. The show has just started here in Italy but the unfortunate thing is that the most interesting bands and singers are already being sent away: so lame!!! Always the same kind of pop music :?

Anyway, it's the final rush for my doctorate. I'll stuck at home in the next few days to edit my dissertation and write the last (and very boring) things. I'll be back with a total new amount of time to waste soon :mrgreen:
...we are such stuff that dreams are made on...

una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

This thread is seriously lacking and I know why! We need a new QOTD!!! Plus, I'm not an idol fan and can only discuss it so much. I really hate the "let's go on tv and make a fool of myself so I can be famous" thing. I don't know why, but it really bugs me (take BG for instance) especially when they are too clueless to know they are making a fool of themselves. Plus I hate it on reality shows when people are just so rude to each other! This is so not setting a good example for the children of this world.

QOTD: What is your fondest childhood memory? I'm off to a meeting so I will answer later!
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
oleander
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by oleander »

QOTD: What is your fondest childhood memory?

Hmm...this is a toughie Una. I don't know if i can isolate it to one memory. There was the Cabbage Patch miracle i spoke of at Christmas, but most of my happiest memories take place on the salty beach of my cottage in Nova Scotia. It has always been my happy place. We spent every summer there and they were carefree, wonderful times. Lots of kids, lots of fun, lots of family.
spookybell
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by spookybell »

I'll have to think about favorite childhood memory... i might have a top 10 list...

second line here
Sometimes I am not satisfied with my signature!
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

I agree that I have several fond childhood memories. But my favorite, it's like a still picture, is when my family went to the Grand Canyon. It was my brothers' boy scout trip (they hiked north rim to south rim). I remember being in the RV in the upper bunk (the bed above where the driving compartment is) looking out and seeing my brothers and my parents putting stuff out to load into the RV. The sun was shining, it was green and beautiful and my family was just there. It's a memory I have that comes and goes...just that picture of them, happy.

Spooky love the second line there! :lol: I'd love to see you top 10 childhood moments too!
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
cullengirl
Cataloging the Cullen Library

Post by cullengirl »

I have lots of favorite memories, but I always remember this one whenever I go to school. I lived in the city (Chicago for those who don't know) for about 13 yrs and then moved up to the 'burbs when I reached high school. Anyways, everyday my dad, baby bro and I walk together to our elementary school together. Dad's job was only a few streets away from our school. On our way, he would quiz us on our assignments or even tell us stories about his childhood. I always remember the first line of the day of my dad being, "It's such a beautiful day!"
“Darkness will never take me…because I have you. Light of my life, Marissa. That’s what you are.”-LR
Banner by the awesome, beautiful and incredible Nena!
BlueStarlight
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by BlueStarlight »

Spooky- That was great! "second line here" Thanks for that laugh!!!

Man, Una, that is a good thought-provoking question. I too, will have to think about that and post in the morning.