Heavenly Hash--a thread for the "older" Twilight crowd

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
cullengirl
Cataloging the Cullen Library

Re: Heavenly Hash--a thread for the "older" Twilight crowd

Post by cullengirl »

una wrote:Ladies, it is stories about those few men who are too dumb and genetically flawed (since they have no morals or values to speak of) that give men a bad name. I like to call them overgrown boys. Seriously, we need to create a website for women dedicated to the avoidance of the "bad apples."
That would be so awesome! Hopefully, I won't be asked out by men who are as old as my dad. *Shudders*

As for the books and age, I walk a thin line as to what's appropriate for people at what age. There was a serious dialogue on a library listserve that I'm on middle schools debating whether or not they should add the TW series into their collection. IMHO, I say "yes" without any hesitation...there's hardly any violence, language or sex involved with the books. Then again, I'm also *coughobsessedTWfancough* so what do I know? :P
“Darkness will never take me…because I have you. Light of my life, Marissa. That’s what you are.”-LR
Banner by the awesome, beautiful and incredible Nena!
LisaCullenAZ
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by LisaCullenAZ »

Welcome, BlueStarlight! The purpose of this thread is not very obvious, I guess. Because we really don't have a purpose! *giggle* Actually, it's just off-topic adult conversation about whatever. And occasionally we play games. :D

... and Carrie! I'm here! Twin has been lazy and not checking the threads like I used to. But I'm here! And you know exactly how I feel about your situation. I have had much to say about it and I'm sure you're up to your ears in it. But that won't stop me from adding my one-two punch with the rest of the ladies here: You are better without him. And better now than in who knows how much longer? Less wasted time, less memories made, less of HIM. You're too good for a guy like that. Yay for Carrie! 8-)

I have had a few creepy guy situations. Those of you that know me understand what a non-confrontational kind of gal I am. So I get myself into some tights spots very easily. One was just hilarious, though.

Well, this was during the time I was fairly seriously dating my now-husband. I was at the gym, but not at my usual time of day. This guy that I'd never seen before kept following me around, using all the machines next to mine, trying to talk to me, etc. I kept thinking to myself, "I will make sure I never come back to the gym at this time of day AGAIN, and then I'll never have to see him." He was so clingy! I didn't have a ring yet, and I could tell he was interested. I just kept being polite, but refrained from being too chatty. Just as I was trying to make my escape, he hurries and blurts out, "Can I have your number?" I was such a chicken! Nowadays I like to think that I would have been more ballsy. I had a great excuse, right? I had a boyfriend! But I felt sorry for him, I guess. I don't know. Anyway, I spit out the first made-up number I could think of. I mixed the first half of my home phone number with the last half of my mother's cell phone. It rolled off my tongue so easily that I know he believed me. And I left, thinking I'd never have to lay eyes on him again.

About two weeks later I was at my parents house, helping my brother weed the front yard, when my mom comes out holding the phone. She goes, "Lisa, the phone is for you" and I thought, "who in the world?" It was the guy! It was the guy! I can't for the life of me remember his name, but it went something like this:

Gym guy: "Lisa? This is ____"
Lisa: "Who?"
Gym guy: "Remember? From the gym?"
Lisa: (after a long, dramatic pause) *CLICK*

I just hung up. I could not believe he tracked me down! Creepy huh? At least he had the sense not to call me back after that. Can you believe it? :lol:
...masterpiece created by Chaos. Thank you!
cullengirl
Cataloging the Cullen Library

Post by cullengirl »

LOL, Lisa! I can so see that happening to me, it's scary. I knew a girlfriend in school who would give out Empire's (the carpet retailer) number to guys who bothered her. I wonder if they figured out it was fake.

When I was overseas visiting my relatives for my cousin's wedding, a few guys asked for my number. I was so shocked to see how forward they were considering my ethnic background and culture manners per se, but they just whipped out their cell phones. I refused several times but they were persistent so I gave them my old apartment number, which I haven't lived in more than 13 yrs!
“Darkness will never take me…because I have you. Light of my life, Marissa. That’s what you are.”-LR
Banner by the awesome, beautiful and incredible Nena!
nissanmama
Officially Bitten!

Post by nissanmama »

When T-pa originally asked for my number, I gave him the correct one. Under some bizarre circumstances, he had nothing to write it on and I had no reason to believe he would remember it. When he did actually call, I didn't realize it was him because I was dating a couple of guys with the same name. When I went through a Todd phase, my brother answered the phone and actually asked "Which Todd are you?" :oops:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/p ... directlink
40-something and feeling a little like Mrs. Cope.
Banner by Fry
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

nissanmama wrote:When I went through a Todd phase, my brother answered the phone and actually asked "Which Todd are you?" :oops:
Ha! I went through a Jeff phase and my parents did the same thing! I remember one of the 'Jeffs' asking me about it. He said it hurt his feelings, he thought I was dating more than just him at the time. I explained that I wasn't but I think that's why my dad did it. He never liked ANY of my boyfriends until I met my hubby.

Lisa, we've missed you, glad you are back!

Bluestarlight, the hash is the PG to G thread as compared to the Gutter. We have no innuendos, it's the clean slate for adults to have random conversations.

Great story about those bad apples:
I was at church yesterday and this guy seriously leered at a woman in the narthex. I was appalled. Not only is leering what I would consider inappropriate (she is my age...30 something and he is 70's) but he chatted with her nicely, when she walked up in the church! The leering started when she turned (with her young kids) to go walk into the sanctuary. I understand it's a male thing to gaze and admire beauty, but looking and leering are two very different things and to do it not only in public but in CHURCH! Grrr. I was greatly annoyed. Especially since I thought it was so obvious and there were a number of people around. Sorry, I just need to rant that out.
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
LisaCullenAZ
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by LisaCullenAZ »

Thanks, Una, it's great to be back! And UGH about that gross old man. I agree, looking and leering have a definite distinction. It always makes me feel vandalized whenever that happens to me. You usually have no way to prevent it, and you just feel splayed out while the pervy person just "check you out." This one time I was literally looked up and down... in dramatic slowness, from breast to hips and back again... just as I was walking into my husbands store. I was walking in while this guy was walking out, and I had to step aside and make room for him. As I stepped back he did his "leering" and I had nowhere to go, since I had to wait for him to get out of the way. I remember feeling so violated and upset as I finally got passed him, and ran to my husband. I've had similar things happen before, but that one was just different and borderline scary. *shudder*

Hey! Speaking of giving out the wrong numbers... some guy named Robert has apparantly given a made-up phone number out as his own to a bunch of different people. And guess whose number it happens to be? Yep... my cell phone. I have gotten phone calls and messages left for "Robert" so many times it's ridiculous. From random girls to gym membership collections and insurance claims, EVERYTHING. I am so bugged. I have actually changed my voicemail greeting to say,

"This is Lisa, please leave me a message. And you are calling for Robert, please be aware that I am not Robert, and do not know of any Robert. If a person named Robert has given you this number as his own, you have been taken for a ride. Please do not leave me any messages for Robert, as I am not Robert and will not be returning your call. Thank you." It's pathetic.

I love the "Jeff" and "Todd" phases! :lol: I admit I've never had a phase of any particular name. Though I did have some crushes on some Brads and some Ryans at the same time when I was in grade school.
...masterpiece created by Chaos. Thank you!
Carrie80
Settled in Forks

Post by Carrie80 »

I can't say that I have ever dated two men at one time. I've had guys who were interested in me, but I always either chose between them or turned them both down. There was a time though I swear I dated only guys named Chris. My mother would be like...wait, is this the chris I like or not?? She never liked any of the guys I really liked. :lol: The last one though was spot on! :x
skylarblue
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by skylarblue »

I've never dated guys with the same name but it never seems to fail that I've dated many guys whose names started with a J and I've had a few S's.

I just think it's strange because my dad's name started with a J, my son's name starts with a J & my name starts with an S.

So maybe that's the only consistent thing & not that I'm really thinking about it, it's kind of creepy in it's own way. :shock:
EDC Inc~New Trainee Supervisor~Team Emmett!
Team Kellan~Proud Klutzer!
MS Virgin & Randomness Irregular!
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

I never dated two guys at the same time, but I dated a Kevin and then broke up and a few weeks later, dated another Kevin. Same thing happened with me with the name Jeff and Eric. Funny thing, I dated quite a few 'J' names and I end up married to a 'J' name!
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
spookybell
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by spookybell »

Once, I was at a party and this guy kept following me around. Finally he asked for my number. I had just re-united with a friend I had not seen in like 6 years. I said "Gee, I'm sorry. I just gave her my number."

keep in mind I am a straight girl. He got the message. However, this can backfire. Fortunatly it didn't :)

Men should use that line when being stalked by a girl they don't like... However I have a lot of guy friends who are way too homophobic to use that line...

and hell, if I could have Jacob and Edward!!! That wouldn't detour me! In fact... I need a shirt that says Team Edward and Jacob!!!! What a fantastic team. I do not have homophobic issues.
Sometimes I am not satisfied with my signature!