Gen Y --The 20 something's thread

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
twilight813
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Re: Gen Y --The 20 something's thread

Post by twilight813 »

Thanks Jasmine!
Ok I am pretty sure that we are going to book the venue very soon. I talked to the place yesterday and they offered me a price I couldn't refuse! The place is called The Tides if you want to google it. I have heard sooo many great things about them and I have been there before. When I was younger I always said I wanted to get married there and it looks like that may happen. I am shooting for November 5, 2011.

In other news I have been sick for like a week straight and I need for it to go away. All I have been doing is blowing my noise and coughing and having low grade fevers. It's crap! I don't have time to be sick! I hope everyone is having a great day though!
Avi by Shel
Sisterhood of the Traveling Book
GM of Wingtears Non Veggie Vamp Cafe Member of Wingtears High Council
Gen Y Thread is <3
Wingtear
Playing Thunderball

Post by Wingtear »

Lily, we had a small wedding, just the closest family, and the had the reception at home, and then did the party half a year later in the summer. It was amazing and suited us perfectly.
Do what feels right for you! So many have questioned why we got married at x-mas eve, but it felt right for us. Just as it felt right wearing my mom's dress, and using D's summer-job discount for the cakes.
It never felt like we had a "low price" wedding, it felt like OUR wedding. as all little girls I've dreamed of the fairytale wedding, with the enormous princess dress and the endless rows of friends/relatives/acquaintances/who are they's/and so on, but in the end that was not what my heart desired.
Banner and avatar by the amazing MRK
twilight813
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by twilight813 »

Aww Ninna!

Well that is what I am doing... what feels right for US. Not anyone else. I am very excited!

So I am straightening my hair and I am realizing that my hair falls out A LOT! Like the entire sink has hair in it. It is so gross! I don't understand why it falls out so much!
Avi by Shel
Sisterhood of the Traveling Book
GM of Wingtears Non Veggie Vamp Cafe Member of Wingtears High Council
Gen Y Thread is <3
Dazzled_by_Cullens
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by Dazzled_by_Cullens »

Thanks guys about the support w/my job and stuff. I have heard that from a lot of people that losing your job can be a blessing in disguise and lead to a better one eventually and that is the prayer and faith I am going with.

Cant wait to see everyone’s Halloween pics…still trying to figure out what I want to be….hmmm

Ninna-Wooohoo Go D in school that is great. And YAY that pup is doing great is day cay.

Lily-Hey I think it is great that you are following your heart and head and doing a small wedding and not having to go all crazy to compete with others. Like a lot of the girls here have said and DONE it on a budget it can be done and very well and beautifully too. My sister did hers on a budget she got married 4 years ago. We did SOOOO much by hand and a lot of DIY it made it more personable and fun. From DIY monograms (I will see if I can find the cute images she had for hers and show you) to the centerpieces, and the invites, etc. We found a lot of ideas on theknot.com and a lot of the girls there gave my sister ideas too.

BTW every time I flat iron my hair I have the same issues….not sure why it does it but they say when you brush you hair everyday you lose on average about 100 stands of hair sounds like a lot but it isn’t actually. Read it is some magazine/journal. So I think that just forces the process out a bit more than brushing does.
I left my heart on the Gen Y thread...I my LEXILY
MRK
Fishing with Charlie

Post by MRK »

Lily~I wonder if having it on the fifth will help with your budget since I'm sure everyone will be gunning for 11-11-11...

Ninna~your wedding looked sooo beautiful in the pics...with your sweet little church...*sigh* it was amazing! Christmas is my favorite holiday and if I had any patience left in me...I would have had a Christmas wedding...but as soon as Teddy finally caved, I was like...ok, lets do this NOW lol

Janny~Your wedding was SOOOOO cool and unique...if I wasn't already married, i'd be getting advice from you!

Thanks guys about the illustrations!
Pharmer, I don't have a site up (one of the things I gave up when we tightened our budget) but as soon as I get the OK I'll share some of them with you all! I did have some stuff on Deviant Art...but havent been there in a while cause it's glitchy and viruses get passed around easily there.

Jen~Have fun in NY...I bet it'll be a really fun place to have a Halloween party!

Sarah~Did I read on FB right? Is your SF coming to London in May...how exciting for you! You get to have him on your turff MUAHAHAHAHA! ;)

*waves at Ally* Hope you have a few calm moments in the middle of all that!
Ally_Cat
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Ally_Cat »

yay a quick free moment!

First, I'm glad the Gen Y has picked up a little again - it was getting sadly quiet in here.

Lily - I love wedding shows because I am a crazy planner and love setting up events and parties, so I know if you do some research, watch so tv, you can find some amazing bugdet friendly and gorgeous ideas. You will get you dream wedding on whatever budget you have if you are willing to figure out how :D

Jasmine - I love the pics from your wedding btw!

Meg & Lily - Meg is right, people normally lose 100 hairs with daily brushing. I have a theory that when you don't do anything serious with your hair for a day or two hairs don't get to fall out easily so they kinda build up - or maybe it is just because I have crazy thick hair and nothing escapes this birds nest haha.

Me - ness

As I mentioned my schedule has been absolutely CRAZY.

I got an internship in Charlotte, which is a 35 minute drive one way - but worth it for the experience. It is at a photography and film museum and I work for the Director of film. I get to work on office stuff and help out a movie showings when I'm not stuck in class. I've made some promo cards and do a lot of driving around Charlotte to put up posters. Poster pasting not as fun but I get to see the city and visit cool places. I was doing this 3 times a week for 4 hours, but now I have a half semester course starting and will go down to 2 days a week.

I also am the chair for the movie theater committee of my campus' entertainment programming board. We do 2 movie days each week - wednesday and saturday. However, only the same 6 people out of 30+ come to help the 4 of us on the committee run our events, so typically we all get stuck working all our events. Our committee has 6 to 7 times as many events as other committees and we are all supposed to help each other. I've been exhausted from having to be on campus until 11 twice a week plus all my other stuff - we are having a meeting with our advisor to let them know 4 students cannot be put under this much work for no benefits (because we don't actually host physical acts we lose out on a lot of the fun and bonding benefits of the board).

Last night though we showed Eclipse! I didn't get to watch - another flaw that the committee members are the only board members that get continually jolted out of seeing films we choose - but I did host a trivia contest and come up with questions. Not a great turn out for a campus I know is swarming with crazed Twilight fans, you know the super extreme types that makes us long time fans cringe. I came up with a list of 16 hard book questions and if people answered at least half they were entered in a raffle for gift cards. I didn't think the questions were terribly hard because I came up with them without researching/skimming books and have only read each book once. However, other than 1 girl, everyone took hours to finish (I let them keep it through the film and turn it after) and looked up stuff online with their cellphones.

I'm excited for Halloween this year! I finally picked out a costume. I was going to do Sookie again this year but use make up to make it look she just completed one of the bloodier scenes (from the book though b/c from what episode recaps I've read the events I was thinking of havent been incorporated yet). I think I'll put a year in between Sookie costumes though. Now I'm going to be TOADETTE from Mario. My friend found Mario and Luigi costume stuff (she's being Mario haha) when we were at Hot Topic and I thought I might do Peach, but the costume in store was short and probably would have had a skanky fit and online there are HUGE dresses with heavy awful fabrics. I don't have time to sew a Peach costume, but I'm pretty sure I can do Toadette this weekend on my 2 day school break.

Did I miss others sharing their costumes yet? If not, what are every one's plans and costumes?
The Volturi: Nora
Private Ophelia Grey of Jasper's Army
Team "Screw you freaks! I pick Ben!"
Gen-Y: The Lexily
MRK
Fishing with Charlie

Post by MRK »

ALLY~ my boys would LOVE you lol....one is being Luigi, the other is being Mario...they want me to go as Princess Peach, and make our dog be Yoshi (which it so happens is her actual name) but I havent been able to find a Princess Peach costume!

It's Cider Mill time here in the States (at least the northern ones) and each of the boys have had school field trips to some the last few weeks...Next Monday I'm going with a couple friends and all of our kids (we'll see if I survive it)...but mmm...cider doughnuts and fresh apple cider...yum-o!!!

Its getting close to HP7 pt1 to come out! Is anyone going to the midnight showing? I'm going with a huge group of friends and I think I even convinced my hubby to go along with us!! I can't believe it! LOL
Ally_Cat
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Ally_Cat »

Misty - I saw some Peach costumes online when I was looking for Toadette ideas and there are accessories at Hot Topic (gloves, star wand, maybe a tiara). If I find the links again I can PM you them if you want.

I'm also going to the HP 7 pt 1 midnight showing with a bunch of friends and my sister. We are going to make shirts for our favorite houses (Gryffindor!)

Cider Mill sounds fun - sounds just like when our peach orchards are in season here, peach everything yum :D
The Volturi: Nora
Private Ophelia Grey of Jasper's Army
Team "Screw you freaks! I pick Ben!"
Gen-Y: The Lexily
SarahGoddard
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by SarahGoddard »

Yay! Sarah is super glad about the amount of posts. The Gen Y has been too quiet for too long.

Pharmer - thinking of you hun. Hope you get some answers and start feeling closer to 100% soon. *Hugs*

Lily I'm totally with everyone else. This is YOUR wedding. If you want the huge fairytale-ness than awesome, if you want two people on a boat in the middle of the Atlantic - awesome. The thing is to make sure you and hubby are happy and its a representation of you as a couple and a celebration of your love - however you choose to do that. And then of course being brave enough to stand up to any friends or family who may have other ideas! I'm an events organiser although never done a wedding so I'm probably not the best person to ask but still happy for you to bounce ideas off if you want :)

Megs hun as you know I'm totally here with the B&J and Supportive huggles. But my biggest belief (as everyone who knows me knows) is that everything happens for a reason. They'll be some amazing reason that your lead to because of this and then it'll all make sense. Just hang in there until it makes itself clear. *HUGGLES!*

Ally - woo woo! Look at you busy bee! Sounds like your having an amazing time at the moment - although very busy at that!

I dont know if I'm doing anything for Halloween this year. Its a shame, its one of my favourite excuses to dress up. I might see if my friend with the twins wants to take them trick or treating and then maybe we can meet up as a group after. No thoughts to costume yet. But at anyone time in my house there's enough stuff to throw together at least 5 costumes at a moments notice so I'm not too0 worried, I could always reuse my pirate outfit from last year too.

Me stuffs: A load of stuff has been going on with my group of friends. It happened a while ago and I dont really have the energy to go into it. A few of you know about it and it was on Facebook. It deeply saddens and upsets me to see friendships of nearly 10 years falling apart. But I made a decision that there is only so much I can fight for or do without receiving anything back. Not just in this instance, looking at the past too and I've decided enough is enough.

It hurts though, it really cuts me up inside, especially when I see them on Facebook still interacting very happily.

Onto happier news though: Misty you did read that. Its not definite but he should be able to come over here around May/June time. AND for anyone that may have missed it I'm going back there for another 3 months on Jan 3rd! I am SUPER excited about it and (again) literally counting down the days!

I'm working two jobs at the mo to be able to pay for it so I'm pretty much perpetually tired...but hey, its MORE than worth it to see my wonderful Snowflake! :mrgreen:

Ok so thats about the jist of me and my life at the moment.

Huge love and huggles to EVERYONE! Love you all loads! :mrgreen:

~1/2 of the infamous Snowgod~
Sarah just needs her Lexily to get her through the day.
Left her ♥ on the Gen Y thread, Rockin' the 3rd person!
:mrgreen:
jasmine
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by jasmine »

@MKR, awww thank you! Seriously though...ive had fantasies about becoming a budget-weddingplanner. Its so much fun to see how much you can do for a little amount of money. And lots of things can be done by students, friends, collegues etc. And it really personalizes the wedding. I'd love to help friends with it...but unfortunately..i dont think anyone in my surroundings will be getting married soon...

The Gen Y Rocks My Twilight Socks

Follow me @ http://gosh-makeup.blogspot.com/