Digital Reading: e-books discussion

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Snowstone
Learning to Love Green

Re: Digital Reading: e-books discussion

Post by Snowstone »

I'm from Portugal so no Best Buy or Black Friday, so no great deals like those :(
But for everyone who can seems like a great deal.
My Twitter
Check my little stories and photos, and give me some feedback
My FictionPress Profile
My Deviantart Profile
BlueStarEgo
Lusting for Blood

Post by BlueStarEgo »

Aww, sorry it's not available for you. I don't know if these stores deliver overseas or if you're even interested, but I've read a few recent articles saying that most popular stores are offering Black Friday deals online. So maybe if a store you're interested in for Friday ships to where you are you could order on your computer. =)
Chrissy | Team.Edward(T)/Damon(TVD)/Eric(TB)/Adrian(VA)Peeta(THG) | Music.Addict
- - * will you still love me tomorrow? - Amy Winehouse
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by corona »

Brief update on the Nook. Version 1.5 just came out, and after updating my system I can tell there is a huge speed increase in the refresh of the pages as you turn them. This version also comes with password protection.
"It will take an amazing amount of control,” she mused. “More even than Carlisle has. He may be just strong enough…the only thing he’s not strong enough to do is stay away from her. That’s a lost cause.”
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

It also looks like there's a Nook 2 coming out, with a full color (touch?) screen.
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by corona »

ringswraith wrote:It also looks like there's a Nook 2 coming out, with a full color (touch?) screen.
I will always prefer the e-ink for dedicated reading, but I have to say this is a very intriguing product. Just did a little reading around on it. It's based on the Android system, and it will get an update soon to upgrade the OS and add an app store. The only negative comments I've seen, which haven't been much, is that it might be somewhat sluggish? Nothing that a good firmware or software update can't fix.

You can't work with MS Office files on it, but you can view them. I would guess the handling of PDF files is likely superior to the e-ink readers as well, in regards to the word flow wrapping.

Viewed as an alternative to the iPad with some limitations, I just might be interested, but more for the web surfing capabilities than the reading capabilities. I wonder if I had both if I could read my purchased e-books on both?

EDIT: Forgot to mention it has Pandora already on it, for music streaming. I have this on my iPod already, and stream free music out to my patio, so I cancelled my XM Radio subscription. Pandora is sweeeet!!
"It will take an amazing amount of control,” she mused. “More even than Carlisle has. He may be just strong enough…the only thing he’s not strong enough to do is stay away from her. That’s a lost cause.”
BlueStarEgo
Lusting for Blood

Post by BlueStarEgo »

Just got my Nook today! I am COMPLETELY in love with it!
Chrissy | Team.Edward(T)/Damon(TVD)/Eric(TB)/Adrian(VA)Peeta(THG) | Music.Addict
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by corona »

BlueStarEgo wrote:Just got my Nook today! I am COMPLETELY in love with it!
Congratulations on your new Nook. After setting up your B&N account and connecting to your WiFi, make sure you check your settings to ensure you are updated to at least version 1.5. If not, then stay connected to your WiFi until the version upgrade begins downloading automatically. It will take several minutes to complete, including some hard reboots, be patient.

Also, once you are set up and running, turn the WiFi off, setting it to Airplane mode; with the WiFi off you will see a little image of a plane in the upper right corner next to the clock. This will significantly extend the time between charges.
BlueStarEgo
Lusting for Blood

Post by BlueStarEgo »

THANK YOU for telling me that! I didn't feel like turning my laptop back on to Google and I could not for the life of me figure out how to turn the WiFi off.

I learned how to do the sideload update for the Nook. My wireless connection isn't the absolute best all of the time. I like the password feature.
SweetKay
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by SweetKay »

Whoooo Hooooo! I got a NOOK for Christmas!!! I love, love, love it!! It's so cool and convenient to read books this way.
corona wrote:Also, once you are set up and running, turn the WiFi off, setting it to Airplane mode; with the WiFi off you will see a little image of a plane in the upper right corner next to the clock. This will significantly extend the time between charges.
Corona - Thanks for the tip to turn off the WiFi. It does considerably extend the usage of the battery on a charge.
SweetKay
ImageImage
TEAM EDWARD ~~ EX-FACTOR ADDICT ~~ WA ADDICT ~~ TEAM ALICE
Kate
Officially Bitten!
Location: Wandering in the town, holding my arm tightly around the hold in my chest…

Post by Kate »

Hi!
I don't have e-reader and after reading this thread I have a question that may be stupid... When you bought a e-reader from «Amazon», can he read file from other e-book seller? Or you can only read the e-book from Amazon?

I'm sorry, e-reader are quite new in my country... :oops:

"When Kate met Garrett, she found something she'd never found [...]. She is currently attempting monogamy for the first time in her long life." S. M. The guide p. 157