Disney Movies

Off-Topic Conversation regarding music, movies, TV, plays, etc in general the entertainment industry.

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
The girlie-wolf
Veggie-Vampire

Re: Disney Movies

Post by The girlie-wolf »

I thought about Princess and the Frog... It's supossed to be the first movie with a black princess.... Not racist...But it's not true. The "princess" is a very poor girl. Her mother works for the rich white girl...It's still racist...

JazpersGrl- I guess... I started watching Princess and the Frog but I fell asleep :lol: I, personally, like hand animation much more than computer animation. Like lion king and Aladin :P I haven't seen any early Pixar movies... I think that now Diesny barely makes movies of it's own because they baught Pixar...
I don't think that the popular Disney charecters are Diesny-Pixar, Only if you look at the 2000's. In the 90's Disney ruled! Lion king, Aladin, Beauty and the beast, the little mermaid, Pochaontas, Mulan...And I don't think that the charecters you named are as popular as these...
Toy story 3 is great :D I loved it... And Eclipse always comes first :lol:

dandyvampgirl_13- Pixar are really great animating... But I don't really like thier 3D. It's not the best I've seen. And you're right about Disney's 3D animation... it really sucks...
Disney never kills the parents. Just in Cinderella.... I think....
Andy doesn't have a dad....There was a familiy photo in Toy Story 3 and it was Andy. his sister and his mother only...
Shai~ on the ListV2! ~Bunches of teams~ Team Quil-Alpha
DramaPrincezz013
Wrestling With Emmett
Location: Bouncing back and forth between Forks and Mystic Falls

Post by DramaPrincezz013 »

I'm personally a huge Disney girl. Not so much into Pixar, although I love Toy Story and Monsters Inc. I still haven't seen Toy Story 3 yet...

Shai--I'm with you on the non-racist thing, and I haven't seen the Princess and the Frog, but didn't it take place in the 1800s or something? So that would mean it's just accurate. They live in Lousiana, and to this day for the most part, there is still a bit of a division between blacks and whites in the south. Lots of racist people down here.

Viola--Haha, yeah I didn't notice that till you pointed it out. No one in Disney movies have both of their parents. I'm trying so hard to think of someone that does, but nothing comes to mind.
The ListV2~Apple::::Mafia~Eva DiMarco::::On bunches of teams!
"You're the closest to heaven that I'll ever be, and I don't wanna go home right now." </3
The girlie-wolf
Veggie-Vampire

Kenzie~ I'm not a Pixar fan either.... I'm a Disney girl :lol: And I've never liked Monsters Inc. I saw it when I was little and I was afraid and I don't like after all these years :lol:
But the Princess and the Frog is supossed to be a non-racist movie, and it is. No matter what time it is, the 1800s or 2000s, it is still racist. The fact that it's supossed to be 1800s is an excuse. I really don't get racists and I don't want to get them. But if they claim they are not rasict and they are it's not okay.
katieb1229
Wandering Through Town

Post by katieb1229 »

Pixar and disney make wonderful movies, my favorite is Cinderella.
dandyvampgirl_13
So Jealous of Emily

Post by dandyvampgirl_13 »

DramaPrincezz013 wrote: Viola--Haha, yeah I didn't notice that till you pointed it out. No one in Disney movies have both of their parents. I'm trying so hard to think of someone that does, but nothing comes to mind.

Sleeping Beauty is the only one I can think of, and her mom has all of two lines.
The girlie-wolf wrote: But the Princess and the Frog is supossed to be a non-racist movie, and it is. No matter what time it is, the 1800s or 2000s, it is still racist. The fact that it's supossed to be 1800s is an excuse. I really don't get racists and I don't want to get them. But if they claim they are not rasict and they are it's not okay.

It wasn't racist, it was historically accurate. In early New Orleans, nothing was equal for black people. The story line was concentrating on Tiana being able to rise above her poverty through hard work and a little bit of luck in finding herself a prince. The way you want the movie to be non-racist would be like saying that none of country's history ever happened, that African Americans had rights back in the early 1900's (that's when it was set- heyday of New Orleans) so Tiana really could do whatever she wanted, blah blah blah. There's an entire scene in the movie where Tiana isn't allowed to buy some property because she's a black female and there's a white buyer who can pay more. It's simply how it was back then, and I'm glad they showed what really went down without making it traumatic for younger children. You can't cahnge what happened, but Disney really did show some female empowerment with Tiana's capable hard work and grace, and I think that's a good thing.
The girlie-wolf
Veggie-Vampire

dandyvampgirl_13 wrote: It wasn't racist, it was historically accurate. In early New Orleans, nothing was equal for black people. The story line was concentrating on Tiana being able to rise above her poverty through hard work and a little bit of luck in finding herself a prince. The way you want the movie to be non-racist would be like saying that none of country's history ever happened, that African Americans had rights back in the early 1900's (that's when it was set- heyday of New Orleans) so Tiana really could do whatever she wanted, blah blah blah. There's an entire scene in the movie where Tiana isn't allowed to buy some property because she's a black female and there's a white buyer who can pay more. It's simply how it was back then, and I'm glad they showed what really went down without making it traumatic for younger children. You can't cahnge what happened, but Disney really did show some female empowerment with Tiana's capable hard work and grace, and I think that's a good thing.
But it's not what I mean. I mean that they could have done a movie about a black princess on the 2000s and the plot could have been about everything- like every other movie. But instead of doing that they made a movie that is in the 1800s which means that, to be accurate they need Tiana to be poor and everything....
JazpersGrl
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by JazpersGrl »

The Lion King has both parents... for a while. In Peter Pan, Wendy, John, and Michael have both parents. 101 Dalmations has both parents. As does Mary Poppins. Mulan has both parents. The Incredibles have both parents. And I'm probably missing some.
FanFiction.Net Account
Alice's Party Planning Committee: Ultimate Bouncer
Jasper's Army: Ruby Slaughter
LNL Dogpound Cullenist
dandyvampgirl_13
So Jealous of Emily

Post by dandyvampgirl_13 »

The girlie-wolf wrote: But it's not what I mean. I mean that they could have done a movie about a black princess on the 2000s and the plot could have been about everything- like every other movie. But instead of doing that they made a movie that is in the 1800s which means that, to be accurate they need Tiana to be poor and everything....
And what's wrong with doing a movie set in the 1800's? There haven't been any hand drawn princess movies set in modern times. Hand drawn movies are all set a long time ago, which is a good thing, reaching back to bygone eras of movies we wwatched when we were kids. The Princess and the Frog wasn't racist.
The girlie-wolf
Veggie-Vampire

dandyvampgirl_13 wrote: And what's wrong with doing a movie set in the 1800's? There haven't been any hand drawn princess movies set in modern times. Hand drawn movies are all set a long time ago, which is a good thing, reaching back to bygone eras of movies we wwatched when we were kids. The Princess and the Frog wasn't racist.
I think that if they are "publishing" ( I have no idea how to say it) the movie as a non rasict one a 1800s is not the best to show it. The plot it not very rasict but the fact that she is very poor and that the white girl is rich is a little rasict.
Don't get me wrong on the hand drawn animation... I love it!!!! much more than the computer animated ones... I miss these movies!
JazpersGrl wrote:The Lion King has both parents... for a while. In Peter Pan, Wendy, John, and Michael have both parents. 101 Dalmations has both parents. As does Mary Poppins. Mulan has both parents. The Incredibles have both parents. And I'm probably missing some.
The Incredibles is Pixar... which movies don't have both parents? It's harder... There is Cinderella, Aladin (Jasmin) and Beauty and the beast and the little mermaid... that's the only movies I remember...
DramaPrincezz013
Wrestling With Emmett
Location: Bouncing back and forth between Forks and Mystic Falls

Post by DramaPrincezz013 »

Like I said, I haven't seen the Princess and the Frog, but I don't see what's wrong with accuracy. I mean, Disney isn't one for dumbing down things for little kids in these movies. I mean, people know about racism, they know how it was back then, and kids will learn about it eventually. African Americans didn't have equal rights in America until the 1960s, and even after that they were discriminated against. It's just the way it was. And also, Pocahontas was thick with racism. Again it's not Disney being racist, it's just the way things were. Even the little mermaid had racism. (Sort of. Triton being racist against humans.)

As far as the movies that don't have both parents: Pocahontas, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Snow White, The Lion King, Tarzan, Cinderella, Dumbo, Bambi, Alice in Wonderland?, The Sword in the Stone, The Jungle Book, The Aristocats, The Rescuers (Penny), The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Lilo and Stitch, Brother Bear...I think that's everything.
The ListV2~Apple::::Mafia~Eva DiMarco::::On bunches of teams!
"You're the closest to heaven that I'll ever be, and I don't wanna go home right now." </3