What was the last movie you saw?

Off-Topic Conversation regarding music, movies, TV, plays, etc in general the entertainment industry.

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
funkidiva
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Re: What was the last movie you saw?

Post by funkidiva »

^^ I love Sleepy Hollow, great film. Depp is brilliant in it and it is gory but brilliant acting and some dark humour. Fun film but not one for the kids!
"And so the lion fell in love with the lamb" "...What shoes had Alice put me in? Stilettos? She'd lost her mind..."
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

John Carpenter's Escape from New York had a bigger budget than some of his earlier films, but at its core it's still a B-movie of the sort that Carpenter was good at--long on tension and short on characterization. In a dystopian future US, Manhattan has been turned into a prison colony, sealed off from the rest of the country entirely. When Air Force One is seized by a terrorist and crashes on the island, convict Snake Plissken (Kurt Russell) is offered a pardon if he can rescue the President (Donald Pleasance), known to still be alive, in 24 hours. This was a breakthrough role for Russell--known previously for light Disney comedies, he emerged as a major action star.
"May the hinges of friendship never rust, nor the wings of love lose a feather"--Scottish blessing
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

Only a few months after the US release of The Pink Panther came the sequel, A Shot in the Dark, which focused much more than the first film on the antics of the bumbling Inspector Jacques Clouseau (the great Peter Sellers). In Shot, a murder takes place at the estate of Benjamin Ballon (George Sanders, an unlikely Frenchman). All the evidence, and I mean all, points to chambermaid Maria Gambrelli (Elke Sommer), but Clouseau just knows she's innocent. This was the film that introduced Clouseau's two long-running foils, Chief Inspector Dreyfuss (Herbert Lom) and Clouseau's manservant Cato Fong (Burt Kwouk); much of the humor in the series from this point on comes from Sellers playing off of Lom and Kwouk. This one is the best and funniest in the series.
"May the hinges of friendship never rust, nor the wings of love lose a feather"--Scottish blessing
marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by marielle »

Eragon and Prince of Percia...
both really good movies... I just love the fantasy movies...
These violent delights, have violent endings...Like fire and gunpowder, they consume what they kiss

Respect Team Robsten, Proud addict of the halfway house
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

Rango. It was an okay movie. I didn't really know what to expect. It was different & had some good funny parts. But I didn't love it.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
twi-nerd
Fishing with Charlie

Post by twi-nerd »

Went to my best friend's house today and she recommended I watch Due Date with her, such a fantastic movie if ya ask me, a few gross things but that's it, other than that a good movie :)
My favorite band Pierce the Veil. I LOVE VIC FUENTES!! Thank you so much Chloe for the banner.
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

Blazing Saddles was Mel Brooks' take on the Western. Like much of his work, it's uneven--the ending, in particular, goes astray--but it's also just full of side-splittingly funny moments. A few favorites: virtually everything Gene Wilder does as the Waco Kid, Sheriff Bart's arrival in Rock Ridge (when he ends up holding himself hostage), Madeline Kahn singing "I'm Tired," and my personal favorite, "you'd do it for Randolph Scot!"
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

Tonight I watched Miller's Crossing, the Coen Brothers' take on a gangster film and probably my favorite to watch of all their films. The basic story is an old one--it's an adaptation of Dashiell Hammett's The Glass Key and of the 1942 movie version--but the Coens put their own unique stamp on many standard gangster film tropes. They are helped by a great cast--Gabriel Byrne makes an effective lead, supported by Albert Finney, Jon Polito, John Turturro, Marcia Gay Harden, J.E. Freeman, and Steve Buscemi, just starting to become an in-demand character performer, in a small role. Carter Burwell contributes one of his terrific scores.
funkidiva
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by funkidiva »

Pink Panther 2 ft. Steve Martin which was actually better than I thought it would be. It was what I needed to cheer me up and it did make me laugh and there was a plot. I guessed who the culprit was near the beginning however and I was right for a change which was good. Fun film to watch.
"And so the lion fell in love with the lamb" "...What shoes had Alice put me in? Stilettos? She'd lost her mind..."
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

When Dashiell Hammett wrote his novel Red Harvest, he could not have foreseen how often it would be adapted into a movie. First there was Akira Kurosawa's Yojimbo, then Sergio Leone's A Fistful of Dollars. Then came Walter Hill to make Last Man Standing, which I watched tonight. John Smith (Bruce Willis) is the name given by the gunslinger who drifts into Prohibition era Jericho, Texas, and finds two gangs of bootleggers warring to control the town. The Irish gang are led by Doyle (David Patrick Kelly), aided by the lethal Hickey (Christopher Walken--this is your clue that the Irish are the really dangerous outfit); the Italians are run by Strozzi (Ned Eisenberg). The story is familiar to anyone who has seen the two earlier films, but Hill shapes the action well, Ry Cooder contributes a thumping score, and Willis is a solid lead, supported by nice turns from Bruce Dern, William Sanderson, and Alexandra Powers.