What was the last movie you saw?

Off-Topic Conversation regarding music, movies, TV, plays, etc in general the entertainment industry.

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Re: What was the last movie you saw?

Post by marielle »

I saw Snow White and the Huntsman last night... I loved it... I had very few issues with it all so to me it was a good movie.
it was a real emotional roller coaster. I cried more than I have done with BD or with the last HP...

I loved all 4 main characters of the movie, each had something special to add with their acting skills but Charlize was really good. she made me feel pity for the Evil Queen
These violent delights, have violent endings...Like fire and gunpowder, they consume what they kiss

Respect Team Robsten, Proud addict of the halfway house
Violet Sunlight
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Violet Sunlight »

I saw Snow White and the Huntsman last Friday. :D I thought the main performances were great, special effects good and the rest was okay.

It was nice to see Kristen in another fairy tale. I thought she was cast perfectly for this part.

Bravo Kristen. :clap:

Also, though I cried :cray: in BD1 and not in SWATH, I thought the movie was still touching. I like it waaay better than last years’ Red Riding Hood. Though, I can’t decide if I like SWATH or Tim Burton’s 2010 Alice in Wonderland better. I think they are a tide for me. Each has something the other doesn’t have.

On a side note in SWATH, when the Evil Queen was fretting over her wrinkles, someone in the audience said “don’t worry, there just crinkles”. :rotfl:

Oh yeah, I did see Mirror Mirror earlier this year too. Though, IMO, I don’t think it would be a fair comparison to SWATH, being that Mirror Mirror is a musical type movie unlike SWATH. I think a good movie to compare Mirror Mirror to would be Enchanted. Now, Enchanted I love and Mirror Mirror I think is just okay.
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

At first glance, A High Wind in Jamaica seems like a lightweight, fun adventure comedy, somewhat like many of the live-action films Disney made in the 1960s and 1970s. But it proves to have more serious elements as a coming-of-age/loss-of-innocence film, with overtones of something like Walkabout. A crew of moderately successful pirates led by Captain Chavez (Anthony Quinn) and Zac (James Coburn) get an unexpected outcome when they capture a ship--a half dozen or so children en route to England are on board. While the pirates' routine is disrupted by the presence of the children, the Captain develops a strange sort of bond with Emily (Deborah Baxter, very good). There are some potentially interesting elements here, but this one suffers from very sluggish pacing at times as well as some serious mood whiplash.
"May the hinges of friendship never rust, nor the wings of love lose a feather"--Scottish blessing
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

My movie tonight was Charlie Chan on Broadway, another in the series starring Warner Oland as the globetrotting detective from Honolulu. As the title implies, he and Number One Son Lee (Keye Luke) are on Manhattan for this one, investigating the murder of a nightclub singer who kept a diary with secrets that could have been unhealthy for a number of potential suspects. Brisk and humorous, this is one of the better entries in the series.
"May the hinges of friendship never rust, nor the wings of love lose a feather"--Scottish blessing
Jacobs-girl
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Jacobs-girl »

The last movie I saw was Dear John. And it was pretty bad (as in slushy, mushy predictability). It's based on a Nicholas Sparks novel so I knew exactly what to expect!
"You want a nice stereo? Drive your own car"" (Bella, New Moon, ch. 1)

"They’re just cliff diving, Bella. Recreation. La Push doesn’t have a mall, you know" (Jacob, New Moon, ch. 7)
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

Snow White and the Huntsman. Great movie, great performances from all the actors, and amazing special effects. Charlize Theron was so good at being evil she was scary! I'd be afraid to meet her in real life. ;)

I didn't cry, but I did get teary eyed. Especially when Gus died, that was so sad!

I really kind of want to see it again.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

Juggernaut is a rather nice little thriller from the early 1970s. After the liner Britannic sets out for a cruise, an extortionist calling himself Juggernaut calls the head of the cruise line (Ian Holm), and informs him that seven bombs have been placed aboard the ship; he wants half a million pounds in return for the information about how to disarm the bombs. While Scotland Yard Superintendent McLeod (Anthony Hopkins) tries to trace the bomber in England, a Royal Navy bomb expert (Richard Harris) and his team are flown out to the liner to try to defuse the bombs. Richard Lester directs very competently and avoids the kind of overdone bombast common in thrillers of the time.
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

Tonight I watched Thor, which I'd class as a middle-of-the-pack entry among comic superhero films. Marvel's conception of making the Norse thunder god into a superhero was certainly at least a little bit original; in this outing, we see Thor (Chris Hemsworth) banished from Asgard by his father Odin (Anthony Hopkins, spouting cliches almost as often as Marlon Brando in Superman). He ends up on earth, landing almost in the lap of astrophysicist Jane Foster (Natalie Portman). But neither Thor nor Odin will be free of the machinations of Thor's scheming half-brother Loki (Tom Hiddleston). What I most like to see in this sort of film is not the action and spectacle--those have to be pretty amazing to stand out in this day--but some degree of genuine human interaction among the characters. Kenneth Branagh's film achieves this to some degree, mostly in the scenes on Earth, with Hemsworth as a fish-out-of-water, fumbling his way to understanding his temporary home, with help from Portman and her research team, concerned mentor Erik (Stellan Skarsgaard) and ditzy research assistant Darcy (Kat Dennings, delightful and worthy of a larger role. Among the Asgardians, Idris Elba as Heimdall and Jaimie Alexander as Sif are the most interesting. Overall, this one was good enough that I will probably try to get out to see the sequel, currently scheduled for release in 2013.
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

I Was a Male War Bride was a re-teaming of director Howard Hawks and star Cary Grant. French Army Captain Henri Rochard (Grant, not even trying for a French accent) has been assigned to do a special job with US Lieutenant Catherine Gates (Ann Sheridan). The two have a less than glorious past together, and begin their assignment bickering at every step. But somehow, along the way, they fall in love and decide to marry. End of film, right? Nope--the real fun is only beginning. It seems that US Army rules for spouses to return to the US with Army personnel are written to only cover women, so Grant is forced to become--wait for it--a "male war bride" in order to stay with Katherine. This one has some entertaining moments--no leading man of the day could take onscreen humiliation like Grant--but it falls short of the best work of both director and star.
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

As I wrote about another film, France, the land of Dumas, is capable of turning out first-rate adventure films of the swashbuckling kind. The Horseman on the Roof/Le Hussard sur le toit is a very good one, set in 1832, when Italy was still under Austrian rule. Italian patriot Angelo (Olivier Martinez) escapes the Austrians and flees to France, where he finds a cholera epidemic sweeping the country, along with an epidemic of fear. One person who isn't afraid is Pauline de Theus (Juliette Binoche), a young woman married to a much older nobleman. When Angelo escapes a mob who accuse him of poisoning a well, he takes refuge in her house. Soon he is drawn into accompanying her across the disease-ravaged countryside, in search of her husband. While director Jean-Paul Rappeneau doesn't quite repeat the triumph of his adaptation of Cyrano de Bergerac, this is a lovely film and Martinez and Binoche make compelling leads.