Actor-based discussion regarding the Twilight Saga cast

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Bellsuz
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Re: Kristen Stewart as Bella Swan #2

Post by Bellsuz »

akire wrote:I have a Kristen-as-Bella question. What part of the movie and/or Kristen's portrayal did you think most Bella-like? What part least?
Good question akire. I think Kristen was most Bella like when she was packing up and storming out of Charlie's house. That felt the most real to me. 2nd would be the scene before the meadow when she tells Edward she knows he's a vampire. Both those scene's felt real and exactly like I pictured in the book. The least like Bella scene would have to be the hospital scene when she freaks out. I just feel it was a little scattered and frantic.
Image Credit to emaleth @ Vesperarium :)
Hailish
Settled in Forks

Post by Hailish »

akire wrote:I have a Kristen-as-Bella question. What part of the movie and/or Kristen's portrayal did you think most Bella-like? What part least?
One of the things that I disliked about Kristen's performance was how understated it was. I'm not saying she should have overacted, but I felt as though she was definitely UNDERacting. Zero inflection in her voice, subtlely nodding, things like that. But I just now realized that those behaviors WERE extremely Bella-like. And I suppose it kinda drove me nuts about the book-Bella, too. They way she always "mumbled" responses. The way she barely spoke to Charlie. Before now, I thought the understatedness was something KStew should have done differently, but upon further thought it turns out that she was spot on.

Least Bella-like... well, the scene got deleted anyway, so clearly others thought the behavior was completely out of character, too. The scene (that I love but don't believe) where she asks Edward if he wants a taste. That was so sexy and seductive and totally not anything Bella would have ever done or said.
bodysnatcher
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by bodysnatcher »

I think Kristen Stewart's portrayal of Bella in the Twilight Movie dissapointed fans mainly because of the bad direction she had. As an actor myself, I know it's really hard to perform a part when the direction is poor, or a bit vague. I know I have to put a lot of effort into my acting, but an actor can't read the director's mind, and can't see the director's vision unless that said actor has the proper guidance. This weekend I saw Adventureland, and I was blown away by Kristen's acting. She wasn't flat, she showed a good range of emotion, and she never "over-acted". It was such an honest, believable, inspiring performance by her.

For those of you who question her acting chops, I strongly reccomend watching Adventureland. I know many people say to watch "Speak" or "In The Land of Women", but "Adventureland" shows another side of Kristen that many Twilight fans have not seen.

I also think that with the help of Chris Weitz (someone with a lot of experience in the film industry), her portrayal of Bella will be much better than in Twilight.
"and the boy loved the tree"
ForJazz926
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by ForJazz926 »

I'm really looking forward to seeing Adventureland!

Hailish (*waves*) - I agree that at first take, KStew as Bella seems too bored, but after more observation she's actually extremely accurate. I think if Twilight is read quickly, anyone would make the mistake of casting Bella in their mind as your average sweet girl, and miss all of the "mumbling" and "staring off" and "preoccupied looks" that are characteristic. I think KStew is one of the people who read Bella correctly the first time - I think she was great.

I think the most "in character" was when she was handling Charlie in general. While prepping him for the introduction to Edward, she was very "Bella" in the way that she didn't want to lie, but she definitely chose her words carefully. Also when she was leaving the house and didn't want to hurt him but knew she had to in order to keep him safe...I thought Kristen did an excellent job of looking like her heart was breaking but she was bracing herself to try and put on a believeable performance for Charlie.

Out of character, besides the finger bite, might be the manner in which she sputtered in the final hospital scene. It makes a lot more sense when KStew explained it in the commentary, and book Bella was annoying at that part, too...but I just can't make myself grasp that scene. She looked upset, definitely...but I didn't get the total and utter despair and emptiness and all of the other things that book Bella felt at that point at the thought of losing Edward- I just got "desperation and refusal." It started out right - the look on her face was perfect, but once she started shouting I just wanted it to end.

I also tend to dislike the meadow scene, and that's not all the actors' faults, but partly. I think it was as if MR used that scene for a dumping ground to explain all of the vampy lore. Bella was WAY too aggressive there in the movie. Trying to get close to him when she said "I'm here, I trust you," and then shoving herself at him in the tree...sure book Bella wanted to be close to him...but she was careful. She was balancing on the tightrope and trying to calm herself to make it easy for Edward. Movie Bella was way too flip.

Image Image
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

For me one thing that really bugged me (therefore the least Bella like) was her reaction or lack thereof when she finds out that Edward has been watching her sleep. It could have been the script, editing, directing, I don't know but it just bugs me. Because 1)like any normal person in the book Bella FREAKS OUT! What you've been watching me sleep? And you heard me say your name?! :oops: but in the movie there was nothing and 2)We didn't find out in the movie why he watches her sleep (like it's explained in the book.) And then a deleted scene (I'm glad it was deleted for this reason)when Bella asks Edward if she wants a taste? I liked the scene right up until that part. (Edward never would say yes either.) I really liked her for the most part as Bella. Of course she wasn't exactly like I picture when reading the book but I think she did an good job.

Most Bella like? Hmm.....I think one definitely was the hospital scene when she tells Edward he can't leave her. I know a lot of people didn't like it because she's stuttering so much but I liked it (especially knowing how she freaks out in NM when he does leave it makes sense to me) And after seeing the movie w/the commentary (Kristens explanation) on this part it helped me like it more. She's like what are you saying? Why would you leave you can't go, etc.... And then also when she's leaving Charlie. That scene was so emotional & just great. I felt so bad for Charlie

I also hate all the bashing people are doing on Kristen. I don't blame her for being akward in interviews & what not,but she seems to be getting better & that's something that not everyone is good at & she'll probably get better w/the more interviews she's done. I haven't seen any of her other movies but hear that she's getting good reviews in Adventureland so good for her. I am excited to she what she brings to NM & show us the devasted, depressed, and zombie like Bella.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
mrs.jacobblack
Settled in Forks

Post by mrs.jacobblack »

It's great that someone i forgot who {sorry :( } is an obsessed fan and is not afraid to show the whole world. I on the other hand an i very obsessed fan, and but i am still scared to show the world. How can i ovecome this?
akire
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by akire »

Thanks for the answers, everyone!

pennybug84, I hadn't even thought about Bella's reaction (or lack thereof) when it comes to Edward watching her sleep. I guess I get distracted by what happens right AFTER he tells her... swoon, drool, faint, OMG, etc.

The finger bite is hot, but very un-Bella & un-Edward. But... hott!!

I loved the way she portrayed Bella's clumsiness! I almost preferred that, and found it more believable than book Bella's clumsiness.

ForJazz, I totally hear what you're saying about the meadow scene. Something always felt just off about it and I think you hit the nail on the head. But, really, who can blame her for getting all up in Robward's face?

Image Image Image
Hailish
Settled in Forks

Post by Hailish »

akire wrote: But, really, who can blame her for getting all up in Robward's face?
For realz.
ForJazz926
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by ForJazz926 »

I know. It must have been the KStew, not the Bella. She wanted to get on the Rob. I can't blame her. lol

And me too - I did NOT even think about her lack of reaction to finding out Edward had been watching her sleep. That's a good one. I definitely got the, "I should be mad but I am actually thrilled" part...but she forgot to be embarrassed that she had most likely been uttering his name.

pennybug - I'm with you on the KStew train. I really really like her, and I think she's destined for great things. I appreciate what she did in Twilight SO much. She's always been Bella to me - I had no trouble accepting that.

Image Image
Jadey
Resisting Temptation With Carlisle

Post by Jadey »

Happy Birthday to Kristen :)!!!
^ by ForJazz
"Theres a lot of like, feminist issues with the book. Like, 'Oh, she's so devoted to him' and well yeah, she's in love with him"
- Kristen Stewart