Chapter 2: Long Night

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
BlueStarlight
Hanging Up on Jessica

Re: Chapter 2: Long Night

Post by BlueStarlight »

1. Does Bella really understand all that she will give up in becoming immortal? Do you think her understanding is limited by her age, life experience, or something else? I think Bella understands to a point what she is giving up. Yes, I think that her understanding is limited by her age and experience, and also her intense love for Edward. I also think that because of the way she was raised, being the "adult" in her relationship with Renee, she maybe feels like she doesn't want to have someone else to take care of. All she can see is being with Edward forever.

2. What do you think Emmett and Jasper were going to do for Edward's bachelor party? Was Jasper telling the truth? I don't know. *snicker* Edward probably needed to feed WELL in preparation for the up-coming wedding night... he would be needing all his strength of concentration in order to resist the pull of Bella when the "time came." I hope that was light enough. :)

3. Tanya made a play for Edward long ago. We don't know much about Tanya, but we know quite a bit about Edward. Why do you think he turned her down? Edward isn't the kind to just "be" with anybody. He has been waiting for the One for over 80 years, someone to give his existence meaning. Obviously, Tanya didn't do that for him and Bella did.

4. About Immortal children. At what age or developmental stage would the Volturi allow them to be created? A two-year-old usually understands the word no, but evidently that wasn't enough. How would they determine if the child could "keep the secret"? What would the determining test(s) be? The youngest characters in the saga are Jane and Alec, presumably young teens, maybe 11-14 (?); I read the PC and no age is given. It seems that one would need to reach puberty first, to be mentally developed enough to REALIZE that they are living a lie by being a vampire. I've worked with young kids, and most under the age of puberty lie just to lie, it's no big deal to them. Once the hormones kick in, they become more self-aware, and the lies become more "truth" to them in their heads; thought processes change with maturity. I realize that everyone matures at a different rate; I'm speaking in general terms. I'm sure the Volturi had their ways of knowing which ones could keep the secret. Aro could tell by a touch whether or not they were good at keeping things inside.
Gamer
Settled in Forks

Post by Gamer »

Ok . I hope i am doing this right .. newbie here with forums :

1. Does Bella really understand all that she will give up in becoming immortal? Do you think her understanding is limited by her age, life experience, or something else? I do believe Bella is wiser in her years . I think she does understand fully what she is doing and why she wants it so bad. I am glad that she decide to have some regular life experiences first before .

2. What do you think Emmett and Jasper were going to do for Edward's bachelor party? Was Jasper telling the truth? Well I knew it was not your ordianarry type of party. I did think they would go hunt to feed to be ready for all the humans coming to the house , so I think on that part it was noted well.

3. Tanya made a play for Edward long ago. We don't know much about Tanya, but we know quite a bit about Edward. Why do you think he turned her down?He was not in love . he never had experienced that type of love before or after he was turned . so he never was interested untill the new scent that drove him crazy came .

4. About Immortal children. At what age or developmental stage would the Volturi allow them to be created? A two-year-old usually understands the word no, but evidently that wasn't enough. How would they determine if the child could "keep the secret"? What would the determining test(s) be? Well on this subject , the children were way to little . The age for that would really be too young to comperhend anything at all , let alone behave and keep a secret . They were right in destorying these creatures. Now the half human / vampire ones are truely different and they do grow and mature .

Gamer
Ichigo Kitty
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Ichigo Kitty »

1. Does Bella really understand all that she will give up in becoming immortal? Do you think her understanding is limited by her age, life experience, or something else? I think that she has an idea by how Carslie and Edward describe how it would be like and how she might not be able to control her hunger.

2. What do you think Emmett and Jasper were going to do for Edward's bachelor party? Was Jasper telling the truth? I wasn't really sure what they were up to at all. Edward wasn't really interested in the bachelor party anyways.

3. Tanya made a play for Edward long ago. We don't know much about Tanya, but we know quite a bit about Edward. Why do you think he turned her down? To tell the truth, I'm really not sure about that one.

4. About Immortal children. At what age or developmental stage would the Volturi allow them to be created? A two-year-old usually understands the word no, but evidently that wasn't enough. How would they determine if the child could "keep the secret"? What would the determining test(s) be? I could understand that Renesme... it would be hard for her to keep the secret maybe. But Edward and Bella would have to express that she cannot tell anyone at all. Aro and Caius would have to decide if she was all right for protecting their secret.
Ice and Fire co-existing together without destroying each other...

~ E<3B
Resilda
Settled in Forks

Post by Resilda »

1. Does Bella really understand all that she will give up in becoming immortal? Do you think her understanding is limited by her age, life experience, or something else?

Honestly, I don't think Bella understood everything that she would be giving up. I agree with posts above me saying that Bella knew more about herself than others her age, but she didn't know life. She knew what she would be giving up in her life, such as seeing her parents, school, friends, but she didn't know what she would be giving up in life general. Rosalie told her how much she wanted a baby, but Bella couldn't feel the same way because she had never been placed in that situation before. Once she gets pregnant, she risks her life for the baby. When she's on the island, she thinks about how her heart has grown to love two people equally, now that she has something growing inside of her. She only knew of her love for Edward, so naturally she wouldn't think about anything else.
Also, this example isn't major, but when she bargins with Edward that she'll go to college, later on she tells him that she really does want to go. I guess once she had put the idea in her mind, she might have realized that she wanted to go to college... Or that could have been to get her more time with Edward in human form.
Ohh, I remember her thinking about how she would be beatufiul like the Cullens, but not about her own features. When she was looking in the mirror as a vampire, she was relieved when her lips reminded her of her old self. So...I don't think she understood everything that she was giving up about life.

2. What do you think Emmett and Jasper were going to do for Edward's bachelor party? Was Jasper telling the truth?

A strip club. Lol, kidding, I would never believe that. :D I think they really did go hunting, so Jasper was telling the truth. <3<3<3 wrote that they had a talk about what to expect on the honeymoon. I never thought about that before, but it seems really likely.

3.Tanya made a play for Edward long ago. We don't know much about Tanya, but we know quite a bit about Edward. Why do you think he turned her down?

Tanya seemed like a good person, so I can't really discredit her much. A theory that doesn't seem likely to me is that Edward knew how much she valued the law (after what happened to her mom) and maybe he thought she would uphold it more than him.
Edward has probably had many offers, but I think one of the big things about Bella is that he can't read her mind. Of course he says that he's dissapointed he can't read her, but I think subconsciously he may be happy about it. Edward may have been born in 1901, but a bit of his thinking changes with time. Thus, I think in a relationship, he would want to be equal with the other person. If he could read the person's mind, there wouldn't be a build up of trust between the two. Edward would know everything about his partner, but she wouldn't know anything about him. He would know what she wanted, but she would never be able to tell him things openly. He might realize this, and although he complains about not reading Bellas mind, in the long run he might be happy it worked out that way. Of course, even when he could read her mind at the end, she let him. Edward didn't know there was anyone out there whose mind he couldn't read, so that's why he was fascinated by Bella.

And the biggest of all, Edward and Tanya's personalities ;) just didn't match up. He realized he couldn't be happy with her and let her down.

4. About Immortal children. At what age or developmental stage would the Volturi allow them to be created? A two-year-old usually understands the word no, but evidently that wasn't enough. How would they determine if the child could "keep the secret"? What would the determining test(s) be?

The Volturi wouldn't allow immortal children to be created at all, I think. While the parent would plead with them, I doubt they would have mercy. The would probably think that if they gave an exception to one person, the others would want exceptions too. I think 10 and over might exclude someone from being an immortal child.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ Image Image Image
~*~*~*~~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Bella & Edward ~ forever
kimmyBEE
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by kimmyBEE »

1. Does Bella really understand all that she will give up in becoming immortal? Do you think her understanding is limited by her age, life experience, or something else? At this point in the book, I honestly didn't think Bella was seeing the bigger picture. (I've always sided with Rosalie about Bella's humanity - to an extent. Considering that she's so accident prone I figured there would be a point in the story when her injuries forced Edward to change her. I was closer to okay with that.) So no, I don't think Bella ever understood everything she was giving up to become a vampire. That's something that probably would have came with time, if a certain child hadn't been brought into her life.

2. What do you think Emmett and Jasper were going to do for Edward's bachelor party? Was Jasper telling the truth? I thought this part was so adorable! Hunting really is all the could do, otherwise Edward wouldn't be able to kiss the bride!

3. Tanya made a play for Edward long ago. We don't know much about Tanya, but we know quite a bit about Edward. Why do you think he turned her down? I think he turned her down because she didn't get his "tortured soul". Plus she seemed a lot more mature and experienced than him *cough* if you know what I'm saying.

4. About Immortal children. At what age or developmental stage would the Volturi allow them to be created? A two-year-old usually understands the word no, but evidently that wasn't enough. How would they determine if the child could "keep the secret"? What would the determining test(s) be? I think the child should be able to fend for themselves as a human before being changed.
Alice's Party Planning Committee: Bag Carrier
mizz-cullen-8
Settled in Forks

Post by mizz-cullen-8 »

1. Does Bella really understand all that she will give up in becoming immortal? Do you think her understanding is limited by her age, life experience, or something else?
NO I THINK BELLA DOESNT UNDERSTAND ALL THAT SHE WILL GIVE UP IN BECOMING IMMORTAL BECAUSE SHE JUST WANTS TO BE WITH EDWARD FOREVER.I THINK HER UNDERSTANDING IS BY HER AGE BECAUSE SHE IS JUST A TEEN AND SHE DOESNT REALIZE EVERYTHING SHE IS GIVING UP BUT ALL SHE WANTS IS TO SPEND THE REST OF HER LIFE WITH HIM

2. What do you think Emmett and Jasper were going to do for Edward's bachelor party? Was Jasper telling the truth?
LOL I THINK JASPER WASNT TELLING THE TRUTH CAUSE REMEMBER HOW EMMETT SAID "DONT TELL HER ANYTHING" .

3. Tanya made a play for Edward long ago. We don't know much about Tanya, but we know quite a bit about Edward. Why do you think he turned her down?
LMFAO CAUSE HE "PREFERS BRUNETTES" NO IM JK .SHE IS NOT FOR HIM.HE DOESNT LOVE HER.

4. About Immortal children. At what age or developmental stage would the Volturi allow them to be created? A two-year-old usually understands the word no, but evidently that wasn't enough. How would they determine if the child could "keep the secret"? What would the determining test(s) be?
MAYBE IF THEY COULD TEST THE BRAINS OF A NORMAL CHILD AND MOST MATURITY STARTS ABOUT 12.
DO IDAZZLEYOU?
EDWARDCULLEN
Lacuna Scion
Fishing with Charlie

Post by Lacuna Scion »

No, I don't think Bella understands what she is sacrificing; but that is due to her very nature. She is mortal. No one can understand what it's like to be immortal unless they've been there... and back (that would be one heck of a fanfic). I think in relation to other humans and even the Cullens before they were changed, she understands more than they give her credit for. She's spent a lot of time with vampires over the past two years. And not just hangin' on the couch shootin' the breeze; she's met other vampires--good and bad. She's interacted with the Volturi (twice). She's seen them at their best... and their worst. If any human has seen the facets of vampire life then Bella certainly has. She's even experienced (an extremely tiny bit) of the the pain of becoming a vampire with James bite.

Bella's very self-aware and I think her subconscious mind and even her body would tell her "no" at a certain point if she wasn't ready to be with Edward and the Cullens forever. She had the option of going with Jake if she couldn't handle being a vampire. Nothing would change her and I'm sure after a while Jake would stop shifting and age with her.

No one's ever been more prepared than Bella, and considering the Volturi's ultimatum, her complete stubborness and Edward eventually folding like a napkin, was mortality ever really an option?

I really do think it was a good, long hunting trip. After all the upcoming events were really going to take alot of his mental strength. Edward, Jasper and even Emmett don't seem the "bachelor party" type to me. So I vote hunting and probably just horsing around.

3. Tanya made a play for Edward long ago. We don't know much about Tanya, but we know quite a bit about Edward. Why do you think he turned her down?

I'm positive there have been plenty of other girls that have played for Edward's attentions. And obviously he was never interested much in any of them-- no offense to Tanya. For a long time I think Edward was really in a melancholy, self-loathing, why-do-I-exist kind of funk. I just don't think he paid alot of attention to girls, immortal or not. Maybe he didn't want to drag anybody down, maybe he knew they just weren't for him, who knows? Tanya seemed really kind of happy or content, more like; I don't think Edward would want to drag her into his convoluted mental war.

Hm... Good question. I think it's more about maturity or secret-keeping-ability (?) than age. That kind of thing may vary. Some sixteen year-olds may not be able to handle it but you could encounter an exceptional twelve year-old. I think it has a lot to do with how they were in life. Did they have self control? Did they brag alot? We're they completely indulgent and self-righteous? I believe you need to have had a lot of self control in your mortal life, because you are going to need it as vampire. Unfortunately, I think you need to see them in immortal action first, because some people do change (just look at Jasper). But the only down side is that they may screw things up while you're trying to figure out if they'll screw things up.

Now that's only in the perspective of "at what age could a child handle it". But the question asks what the Voturi would do; honestly, unless they stumble across another Jane, I don't think anyone's got a snowball's chance in hades of seeing an immortal child. The Volturi aren't going to risk it.
Last edited by Lacuna Scion on Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Team Leah - The Crappy Little Renegade Team | Team Esme
Team Carlisle | Screw You Freaks! I pick Ben! | Volturi - Rosalind
irunwithvampires
Settled in Forks

Post by irunwithvampires »

No, I don't think Bella understands all that she is giving up. She's had people, especially Edward, tell her over and over again, but she won't be able to understand to the extent until she experiences it. I always knew that, but I also knew there wouldn't be a part in her vampire life where she would come to regret that decision. Bella's only reasoning is that she loves Edward and wants to be with him forever, but she does cut other people out of her life a little bit - and this is a huge deal. But in the end, she'll do what's best for her. I never thought she would ever fully be ready, no matter how much she had trained her mind to think that way, but if she really wasn't that ready, she would probably have waited. She knew all the knowledge of what it takes to be a vampire, and there was nothing more she could do. With that being said, no, I don't think Bella understands everything she is sacrificing and she never would until she became a vampire.

Haha, yeah, I believe Jasper. I can't really see the Cullen boys doing anything else for their bachelor party. Probably just a hunting trip.

Bella's one of a kind, and there's nobody else who would ever be able to capture Edward's attention in the slightest way. I honestly don't think him and Tanya have really anything in common, besides the fact they're both vampires. She just isn't his type, like he said.

Interesting question. Like it's been said before, it all depends on the child. I think before you turn eighteen is a risky age for that. Well, look at Jane - how old is she again? She's young, but incredibly smart, and evil. If there was another child like Jane out there, she might be considered. There may be some preteens who would understand the world and the secret better than some teenagers. It all just depends. But before the age of twelve is a no for me.
golden x sunshine
Learning to Love Green

Post by golden x sunshine »

-I really do think that Bella fully understands everything she is giving up by becoming a vampire. Everything she needs to understand doesn't have to do with her age or life experience, and Bella and Edward have already settled the matter of the one human thing Bella cannot live without; shes totally ready in my opinion.

-Haha, I knew they were probably going to go hunting or something. For one I don't think Jasper would intentionally lie to Bella and two can you picture perfect gentlemen Edward in a stripclub? Hahha.

-Edward turned her down because although he never knew what he was looking for, he knew what he didn't want, and anything that wasn't Bella, even thought he didn't know it yet, was something he didn't want.

-I think it really depends on the child itself. Some children are a lot more mature at certain ages then others, therefore there can't really be a specific age that they can be turned into vampires. My best guess though would be at least at the age of like 10 or 11, because thats when children really start to understand the importance of certain things.
"when life offers you a dream so far beyond any of your expectations, it's not reasonable to grieve when it comes to an end."
-twilight
AmandaRose
Settled in Forks

Post by AmandaRose »

I think this is a very tough question to answer because never will we be in a position to make such a decision. With that said, I do believe that Bella thought it through, however, contrary to popular belief, I'm not sure she understood it all. I mean, being with the one you love forever, would be wonderful; it's what we all say when we are in a relationship, but given the circumstances, I think it is more than that. It was only a little over a year's time, and she was only 18 (17 when she made the decision). I do think that she was going along with her heart, in that she wanted to be with Edward for eternity, but also, her age and lack of experience did play a part. I mean, realisticaly......they are undead, a monster, a creature, who's very nature is to kill. Period. The story makes for a beautiful that is very easy to fall into, but, one must think of the real consequences, and I don't believe she did.

I do believe that Jasper was telling the truth. Even though Vampires are physical creatures, in the sense that they are comparable to animals and they hunt for a living, they are not physially minded except towards blood. Emmett has Rosalie, Jasper has Alice, Carlisle has Esme, and now Edward has Bella. After centuries, they have each found that one person who makes everything better..........are they really going to get any gratification out of a strip joint? I think not!

Well, if Edward is as straight forward as we think he is, than he simply is more attracted to Brunettes. But, to attempt a more in depth answer, I would say that it was for the same reason why some people are just not attracted to others. And even when we find someone who is close to that person who was made for us, they still don't hold a candle to what we know is out there. I think that sense was stronger in Edward because he was a Vampire. I believe that if Edward was willing to just settle while he waited for Bella to be born or to come around, then he may have taken Tanya up on her advances, but he knew that Bella was coming, and he knew that she would be the most amazing thing out there, and the most beautiful. Why would anyone settle for less? ALso, his patience was a lot stronger as a Vampire.

This is a tough one too. I understand the female Vampire's want for children since they cannot have any, but I don't believe that any age younger than 15 would be acceptable to the Volturri. I feel that as a human there are phases that need to be gone through in order for the mind to develop correctly, and the Volturri are aware of this. Anyone younger than 15, has not yet developed the mental capacity of true adult thought. Meaning, comprehensive thinking. Think about it, how many 14 year olds are running around thinking their life is over because the boy they had a crush on, but never said a word to likes another girl? 15 even may be too young, but I think that at 15 you begin to see the world a bit more clearly and you start to have a much more profound and productive mindset.
~~~*AmandaRose*~~~

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight." ~ Proverbs 3:5-6