Chapter 2: Long Night

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
ChelseaLee
Wandering Through Town

Re: Chapter 2: Long Night

Post by ChelseaLee »

1. Does Bella really understand all that she will give up in becoming immortal? Do you think her understanding is limited by her age, life experience, or something else?

I think at this point, Bella truely understands. She's had quite enough life experience to determine that human life just isn't going to work out for her! :lol: I also believe that her love for Edward and her level head make her more aware of the world and older than her years. She's been an adult for so long, taking care of herself and her mother and such.

2. What do you think Emmett and Jasper were going to do for Edward's bachelor party? Was Jasper telling the truth?

LOL! I had a million things run thru my head, none of which would make sense. There was no way they'd be going to strip club or drinking. I suppose I imagined that they would hunt and possibly wrestle a bit, you know how Emmett is.

3. Tanya made a play for Edward long ago. We don't know much about Tanya, but we know quite a bit about Edward. Why do you think he turned her down?

I don't think Edward would ever choose someone just for beauty. He is not shallow. Obviously since he didn't want Rosalie either. I believe Edward was looking for the real thing, true love. And I also don't think Edward could be with someone frivilous or even remotely self-centered.

4. About Immortal children. At what age or developmental stage would the Volturi allow them to be created? A two-year-old usually understands the word no, but evidently that wasn't enough. How would they determine if the child could "keep the secret"? What would the determining test(s) be?

I kinda thought about this in a different way. There is alot of debate about the age of accountability with children. I've seen this debate alot within the church. When do children know right from wrong? When can children comprehend and be responsible for thier actions? I believe this is different for every child. There are some children who are pretty aware at age 6. Some aren't until they are 13. So how do you decide? The Volturi would have to go case-by-case. But then, I just don't see the point in immortal children unless they are useful, AKA Jane is pretty young, but very, very useful.
Team Switzerland - Because yes, I love them both!
mixie
Settled in Forks

Post by mixie »

1. Does Bella really understand all that she will give up in becoming immortal? Do you think her understanding is limited by her age, life experience, or something else?

Yes she does. Everything she has been through to get to be with Edward shows how much she really loves him. I think it's difficult to understand how she feels since no one has been in her position. But her love to Edward is something bigger than life, something neither of them can live without. Losing everything else she can live with.

2. What do you think Emmett and Jasper were going to do for Edward's bachelor party? Was Jasper telling the truth?

No idea, I think it's something you can imagine yourself, according to what you think. For me, Edward is not the type who goes to a stripclub ;)

3. Tanya made a play for Edward long ago. We don't know much about Tanya, but we know quite a bit about Edward. Why do you think he turned her down?

Well obviously he didn't feel that way for her. For me, Edward and Bella were always meant to be. Like Edward said, I don't remember where and the exact quote, but something like:
"For almost 90 years Ive walked among my kind and yours...all the time thinking I was complete in myself,not realizing what I was seeking And not finding anything.....because you were not alive yet"

4. About Immortal children. At what age or developmental stage would the Volturi allow them to be created? A two-year-old usually understands the word no, but evidently that wasn't enough. How would they determine if the child could "keep the secret"? What would the determining test(s) be?

Hmm this is a hard one. Eh no idea, maybe when you're like 12 years old
TEAM EDWARD
Do I dazzle you?
xXBeSafeXx
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by xXBeSafeXx »

Alphie wrote:Many thanks to Love2Dream for her help with this chapter discission.

1. I think she understands pretty well. The only thing that might limit her is her love for Edward and her desire to be with him forever. But I think even with that, she understands.

2. I have no idea. I can't come up with anything they could be doing, so I decided just to trust Jasper.

3. She was strawberry blonde. Not at all his type. :lol:
Seriously, though, I just don't think they were right for each other. Edward is one who I think would date for commitment, not just for sport.

4. I would think around 14 or 15, though I think Jane and Alec may be younger than that. That's the age most people seem to have more a sense of maturity, and ironically, about the age they stop eating off the childrens menu.(aka wherever and whenever they are, in a vampire sense) :lol:
I suppose it would all depend on their maturity while they are human.
ImageImageImage
Twin--Narnia|Mafia Name--Motor Mouth Alice|EDC, Inc--Bulldozer Trainee
KaylaMarieBlack7
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by KaylaMarieBlack7 »

I dont think that she knows EVERYTHING that she will give up. There are still many things she hasn't been able to experiance. She would be giving up everything that could happen in her future.

I just thought that they might go somewhere far away and just go hunt really dangerous animals or something. I didnt think they would do the whole stripper thing.

She probably just wasnt anything he would be interested it. We know that Rosalie was just too into herself. Maybe Tanya tried too hard.

I think that 10 would be a good cut off age. I mean they aren't like super smart, but they should at least know how to keep a secret. Im not sure what the determining test would be.
I ♥ Jacob Black.
Ever since New Moon. =]
Babygirl67
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Babygirl67 »

yes because i believe she thought the decsion through very carefully and knew what she was giving up

yup i believe he was telling the truth about hunting

because edward was thinking about bella

how to keep they're deslipline to not attack humans or eat them to learn self control..
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

Alphie wrote:Many thanks to Love2Dream for her help with this chapter discission.

1. I believe that she doesn't understand all that she's giving up-for example, while she tells Edward they can always adpot, I'm fairly certain she has no idea what being a mother is really like. However, I also believe she knows enough that she's made an informed decision.

2. To be honest I laughed when Bella made the strip club comment. I just can't picture the Cullen men that way- they each have their perfect half. Jasper's explanation seems reasonable, and I don't see any reason for him to lie to Bella. He's never been deceitful.

3. In my opinion, Edward probably just didn't think of Tanya that way. Her mind's open to him, and I'm relatively sure that at some point she may have thought something that "turned him off" so to speak. Or maybe he could see that it wasn't really love after all- maybe lust, instead.

4. That is difficult to answer. We all have our perceptions of right and wrong, and there certainly have been many discussions on when this age is... But I believe the true test is not whether the child could keep a secret. The true test is whether or not the child can control their thirst. I've seen quite a few kids who are great at keeping secrets, whether they know the reason why or not... But if an immortal child couldn't control their thirst, if they could not resist the urge to feed whenever they felt like it... That would surely cause many complications, including the risk of exposure that all vampires strive to avoid.
Lunna-san
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by Lunna-san »

I think she really did. When she chose Edward over Jacob, agreed to marry him, she embraced his style of life. In Eclipse, she had the change of seeing the newborns, and to really think about that. In Breaking Dawn we see the reality of her choice. It was an informed one.

That's a good question! I think Jasper didn't lie to Bella. I guess they went hunting, maybe. But I think, as a bachelor party... hmm. Maybe they drag Edward to a club, so he could dance and enjoy himself. Edward was single for a long time, but I don't think he really apreciated the bachelor life as a guy of his age should. If I was one of his brothers, I'd like him to experience that. 8-)

Well, he can hear her thoughts and he probably he realized she didn't want anything serious with him. Just an affair or something like that. And Edward is not the type who has an affair. He's very correct, responsable. He's datable material, you know what I mean? He's the type who wants compromise and Tanya didn't. They have different view of life, so he probably found better don't wast their friendship.

I don't think children should ever become vampires. They become too vulnerable, they are immature... I guess anyone under 16-17. You have to live in a very complicated world. So, as you are older and more experienced, better.
MadeHimSayOw
Settled in Forks

Post by MadeHimSayOw »

1. I think she does understand that she has to give up what she currently has, like her family and friends. I think it would be pretty hard to imagine giving up choices you would make later in a mortal life, i.e. kids, grandkids, etc. She even says later on in BD that she didn't know she wanted a child until she knew she was going to have one.

2. I think that Jasper was telling the truth, much to Emmett's extreme disappointment. Edward is too much a gentleman to agree to go to a strip club. But I'm sure Emmett gave him quite an earful of sex advice :lol:

3. I think the sultry seductress type just doesn't appeal to Edward. He waited 100 years for Bella, so he obviously has pretty picky taste...no one-night stands for this guy!

4. I think the Volturi would allow it as long as they were old enough to be trustworthy with keeping a secret and also old enough to understand the consequences of breaking the rules. Although, I think the Volturi would make exceptions if the child was somehow useful to them
505Mom
Settled in Forks

Post by 505Mom »

Yes and No... At her age - it is truly hard to understand what you give up - knowledge and wisdom are 2 different things. But by becoming immortal - she will no longer experience change and with that knowledge - she will never change her wants and beliefs.

They were going to hunt and probably talk sex... that's what boys do when you get them together

3. Tanya made a play for Edward long ago. We don't know much about Tanya, but we know quite a bit about Edward. Why do you think he turned her down? - Edward is old fashioned. He wasn't a one night stand kind of guy and I think truly did want to be married before he shared himself with anyone. He knew Tanya wasn't the marrying kind - and was frankly not up to the standards he set for women.

4. About Immortal children. At what age or developmental stage would the Volturi allow them to be created? A two-year-old usually understands the word no, but evidently that wasn't enough. How would they determine if the child could "keep the secret"? What would the determining test(s) be? I think that it would have to be based wholly on the individual. I know some young teens that couldn't be trusted with anything - and some that could. It would have to be based on the individual experiences of the children involved
Emmett's Rose
Settled in Forks

Post by Emmett's Rose »

I thought she had absolutely no clue what she was asking for in Twilight but by BD and all she had gone through I think she understood all the implications of her choice.

Weelll, supposedly they were going to hunt but knowing Emmett and his pervy ways I have my suspicions ;)

I think she wasn't his type but moreover knowing how Edwards is such a stickler for propriety and such he was probably a little turned off by her promiscous ways.

4. About Immortal children. At what age or developmental stage would the Volturi allow them to be created? A two-year-old usually understands the word no, but evidently that wasn't enough. How would they determine if the child could "keep the secret"? What would the determining test(s) be?[/quote]

Hmmm I have no idea about this one. jane and alec were pretty young. I don't think a two year old could keep any kind of secret.