Chapter 2: Long Night

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Tonya
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Chapter 2: Long Night

Post by Tonya »

1. Does Bella really understand all that she will give up in becoming immortal? Do you think her understanding is limited by her age, life experience, or something else? I think she does understand and I don't think it's limited because of who Bella is. It really would depend on how well a person REALLY knows their self.

2. What do you think Emmett and Jasper were going to do for Edward's bachelor party? Was Jasper telling the truth? Yes I think Jasper was telling the truth

3. Tanya made a play for Edward long ago. We don't know much about Tanya, but we know quite a bit about Edward. Why do you think he turned her down? He just knew he wasn't the one for him and he's such and old soul he's not going to get involved with someone he knows he can't love

4. About Immortal children. At what age or developmental stage would the Volturi allow them to be created? A two-year-old usually understands the word no, but evidently that wasn't enough. How would they determine if the child could "keep the secret"? What would the determining test(s) be? Well I don't think they have a right to change anyone unless they choose to be changed. So there should be no test. That should be there rule # 2. Keep the secret and if they figure out the secret change if they want to be changed. Like Bella. Or if they are dying ask them. But they should be at least 18. Edward was an exception because his mother asked on his behalf.
Jazzy'sgirl112108
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Jazzy'sgirl112108 »

1. Does Bella really understand all that she will give up in becoming immortal? Do you think her understanding is limited by her age, life experience, or something else?

I dont think the immortality is what she is going for. i think its being with edward forever; if she has that option why not take it? i would do the exact same thing if i had a chance! immortality: not relevant... eteranl love: the only thing that matters

2. What do you think Emmett and Jasper were going to do for Edward's bachelor party? Was Jasper telling the truth?

You callin Jasper a liar??! :!: no, i think it was something to do with hunting and fast cars. although....i do have to agree...emmett might like the strip club idea... ;)

3. Tanya made a play for Edward long ago. We don't know much about Tanya, but we know quite a bit about Edward. Why do you think he turned her down?

She was simply not his type and it didnt work out... thats all

4. About Immortal children. At what age or developmental stage would the Volturi allow them to be created? A two-year-old usually understands the word no, but evidently that wasn't enough. How would they determine if the child could "keep the secret"? What would the determining test(s) be?

im not sure actually... i never thought about it really.
Betting on Alice.
Jessica02ann
Settled in Forks

Post by Jessica02ann »

1. Does Bella really understand all that she will give up in becoming immortal? Do you think her understanding is limited by her age, life experience, or something else?

I dont think bella ever intended to "give up" anything that she wanted when she attained immortality. Simply because she never planned to lose charlie in BD, and she always wanted to keep jacob as a friend. as for her other mortal friends .. she wasnt close with them when she wasnt immortal. I think she saw it as a win win situation, hense what worried edward so much but bella made the right choice. Edward forever.

2. What do you think Emmett and Jasper were going to do for Edward's bachelor party? Was Jasper telling the truth?

welll seeing as the type of character Edward displays, i HAVE to believe his brothers would know that he would never entertain the idea of another women besides bella. Im sure they ran and hunted big "more fun" game. Nothing like irritable grizzly ;]

3. Tanya made a play for Edward long ago. We don't know much about Tanya, but we know quite a bit about Edward. Why do you think he turned her down?

Edwards old fashioned. Beauty and talent is easy to come by in the vampire world. He needed more, and intellectual. besides when you come across your soulmate, you know its your soulmate. He wouldve felt that pull to Tayna if he was meant for her. But as we saw it was bella that was compelling to him. And after hundreds of years, i believe he was in love with her, his soulmate, before he even knew it!

4. About Immortal children. At what age or developmental stage would the Volturi allow them to be created? A two-year-old usually understands the word no, but evidently that wasn't enough. How would they determine if the child could "keep the secret"? What would the determining test(s) be?

Also knowing the characters, I believe Aro would have tried ANY way possible to keep these children. Aro wanted to even wait longer for Jane and Alec, so nothing younger then the pre teen years id have to say, other wise Aro would have them already. The thirst and desire must be unquenchable to the babbies.
openfire
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by openfire »

No I think that she really does know what she is giving up. She also knows what a huge amount of things she is gaining. I think considering her age, she seems to have a "good head" on her shoulders, she is very sensible. And, after having several near death experiences, I think she has a decent amount of life experience!

Yeah I think they prolly were gonna go and hunt. I don't think Jasper would lie to Bella. I would like to have seen the bachelor party tho lol.

He just simply wasn't interested. He didn't "feel" anything for her.

Hmm I dunno. I never really thought about this before. I guess at least someone in their teens. At least then they know and can understand rules etc. I don't know what kind of tests they would use tho? Hmm, I'll have to think about that one!
Banner by the super talented TammyAZ!
Olderthandirt
Settled in Forks

Post by Olderthandirt »

No - I do not believe she understands as she is limited by her life experiences. As one woman as said to me, "you don't miss it if you don't have it." Bella is on a one track mind to be with Edward and it is seriously coloring her perspective of Life.

Razz him - and make sure he was well fed.

Edward believes in soulmates, and did not find that connection until Bella. In the 1910s, marriages were still arranged by some families, and some people were marrying for love. Edward probably saw enough in his young human life to understand the difference.

I go the impression from the story that the Volturi did not want children in their world because of the immaturity level of a child's mind. Jane and Alec were exceptions to the rule because of their abilities. I guesss the saying "there's an exeception to every rule" applies here. Aro is about power, not sentiment or companionship.
Melarian
Settled in Forks

Post by Melarian »

She has made her decision and I am sure she understands what she'll be giving up. But also what she'll gain...
Her understanding is certainly not limited by her age, as she has proven to be much more mature than you would expect from someone her age.

I believe Jasper. They probably just wanted to spend some time with their youngest brother and going on a hunting trip seems like the perfect thing to have some fun together ;) .

She is just not his type.

I think they would have to be teenagers at least in order to be able to understand und follow the rules. I guess they would have to be chosen very carefully. If they are responsible and unselfish as humans, there is probably a better chance they'll be likewise as vampires. I can't think of a specific test, though.
dazzledBrit

Post by dazzledBrit »

She understands, in the abstract sense. But yes, I really think her understanding is limited by her age. She truly doesn't understand Rosalie's desperate desire for a child - although she is very mature for her age in some ways, in others she is not (as Rosalie comments in Eclipse). And although she's made the decision that she wants Edward and doesn't care about children, she isn't yet old enough to understand that fully. And whilst she won't mature physically from the moment of transformation, she will mature mentally & emotionally and she might have one day become broody - it;s nto something you can predict in any way.

From some of the comments I've read, on the Lex and elsewhere, I think that this is something many younger readers don't truly understand.

Yes, definitely - it's their idea of a good night out. Mountain lion & grizzly are their version of a good steak & wine! :lol: And who needs paintball or clay pigeon shooting when you get to hunt dinner?

He just didn't feel the same way about her and, being a gentleman, he wouldn't lead her on for temporary physical gratification when he didn't want to be her mate. There's more about their relationship in the Midnight Sun draft.

They would have to be old enough to have control of themselves. I think Jane's character is only just old enough - her petulance and near-tantrums are a sign of her youth. Any prepubescent or pubescent child is unlikely to be emotionally mature enough. As they will never mature again physically after the transformation, they also need to be physically mature or near it (anyone remember the girl vampire in Interview With a Vampire? Very old, mentally mature, falling for adult vampires but stuck in a childs body).
Rob's Halfway House member ~ Kristen, Rob AND Taylor fan - The Twilight pedant

Heading to Forks soon...
misskiley

Post by misskiley »

Yes, I believe to an extent she does. Bella has always been very different from everyone, never really fit in. She didn't care about friends or parties or dances. Of course yes, she is young she doesn't realize what she might want eventually,.. but most of us don't have a perfect life,.. we make mistakes and then learn. She knows what she wants forever and she's going to get it.

Yes. I don't think Jasper would lie,.. They can't drink and I very highly doubt they would go to a strip club haha.

Edward didn't care about finding someone,.. he wasn't searching for it. He's a gentlemen and very very attractive so of course woman make passes at him. That doesn't mean he was going to say yes just because someone wanted him.

Maybe the Volturi would try every age until they got it right?! I"m assuming they're not suppose to make vampires younger than 16 though. A Child can understand no, but if they're hungry no would not stop them.
you.are.my.heroin

Post by you.are.my.heroin »

Yes I think she gits it. I think she knows what she wants she know that she'll have to leave her friends and family but her love for Edward is worth it.

I like to hope Jasper was tellin the truth...i'll go with that.

Edward is kind of a romantic, he knew what Tanya wanted with him wouldn't be right so he waited.

Personally I think 16 would be a good age. 16 year olds tend to understand that they need to keep a secret and they could play a pretty wide range of ages.
**Kathryn**
dazzel21
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by dazzel21 »

We all know that Bella is mature for her age. She takes care of Renee and often their relationship is reversed. So I think she really knows what she really is going to give up in exchange for being an immortal. At one point in Breaking Dawn she did mention that she had little interest in children and that it only changes when she found out that she was having Edward's child. She even knows that she will have to give up her family and friends though it is hard for her.

Hunting, no doubt. I don't think Edward would approve of the strip club idea though I wouldn't pass it on Emmett not suggesting it. I bet Emmett didn't stop teasing Edward while they were hunting and maybe Jasper didn't help much either what with his emotion manipulation. Besides during the wedding Bella states that Edward's eyes are "buttery gold", so definitely hunting.

Edward is first and foremost a gentleman. He wouldn't be the kind of man who plays with women that he doesn't have feelings for. Besides its stated in Twilight that the Denali's were their extended family, though they were not all related by blood (no pun intended) they were more closely bonded by what they share so if Edward were to go out with Tanya wouldn't it be like Edward going out with Alice or Rosalie.

This is a bit hard. From what I know your still a child until your at the age of 12 because if you're 13 that makes you a teenager. And the Volturi said that the immortal children are those which cannot be controlled and cannot be trained. 12 yr old children could already be trained and controlled and i think as early as 7 or 8 a child has the basic grasp of what's right and wrong. But I would like to think that 13 is the stage that the Volturi would allow them to be created how weird is that if you have a mind of 100 year old in a body of an 8 yr old. Its creepy...
"Because each and every one of us needs our own personal brand of heroine."
~Team Edward Forever~