Chapter 4: Gesture

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
sazykid
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Chapter 4: Gesture

Post by sazykid »

1. Bella has a knack for predicting outcomes. She makes a comment to herself about Jacob turning his back on his birthright as pack leader, and this left Sam Uley "to act as the chief of legends and magic now. . . ." Why do you think Bella didn't finish her thought?
I honestly don't remember this part. If I had to guess based on just the question, I would say that by Sam being left in charge Bella is worried what will happen between the wolves and vampires. Sam will fully enforce the treaty and would not hesitate to go up against the vampires. At least if Jake were to accept his birthright he might be convinced that nothing had changed and everyone would still be safe.

2. Why do you believe that Sue Clearwater chopped off her hair? If she was so uncomfortable at the wedding, why did she attend?
I think Sue knows about the wolves and vampires at this point since both her children turn into wolves. So she probably cut off her hair to support her kids and help Leah not feel so alone. My guess is she went to the wedding to support Charlie because she dosent even know Bella that well, and she can't really protect Seth and Leah from danger lol.

3. Why does it bother Jacob more that Bella plans on a real human honeymoon than her pending transition in a week or two?
He is in denial and does not want to admit that Bella has chosen Edward. He is also jealous of Edward because he gets to be with Bella in every way possible and Jake is only her friend. It hurts Jake more to think about Bella with anyone else than it does to think about he as a vampire.

4. There is no description of what car was decorated and used for the honeymoon get-away. What car do you believe they used?
At first I sort of thought it was Carlisle's car, i don't know why. But, thinking about it now they probably took Edward's Aston Martin Vanquish. It is his special ocassion car and this was a pretty special ocassion.

5. Why is Bella so hopeful when she waves goodbye and sees her families on the porch?
I think she was probably just happy to be with Edward forever, and then I think she was happy to see her family being nice to one another. Charlie, Renee and Phil were all together and getting along, and they also seemed to get along with the Cullens. Bella had some idea that no matter what happens when she becomes a vampire, her family will be ok.
Jazzy'sgirl112108
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Jazzy'sgirl112108 »

1. Bella has a knack for predicting outcomes. She makes a comment to herself about Jacob turning his back on his birthright as pack leader, and this left Sam Uley "to act as the chief of legends and magic now. . . ." Why do you think Bella didn't finish her thought?
maybe she was just to annoyed with the idea that jacob wasnt doin his duty or billy distracted her...im not sure.

2. Why do you believe that Sue Clearwater chopped off her hair? If she was so uncomfortable at the wedding, why did she attend?
sue likes charlie!! and i think she came cuz seth was there....and to see charlie!! ;)

3. Why does it bother Jacob more that Bella plans on a real human honeymoon than her pending transition in a week or two?
i think he doesnt like the idea of a transition at all...thats whats bugging him.

4. There is no description of what car was decorated and used for the honeymoon get-away. What car do you believe they used?
edwards volvo!! duh!!

5. Why is Bella so hopeful when she waves goodbye and sees her families on the porch?
i dont think its hopeful. i think shes glad to be alone with edward!!
Betting on Alice.
openfire
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by openfire »

I'm not sure actually. I guess just because it was her wedding day and she has so much other stuff to think about. And that thinking of Jacob was making her sad, and she can't be sad on her wedding day!!

I think she cut her hair to be more like the wolves, as they all have short hair too. Especially to support Leah. I think she attended because Seth wanted to go, and she wanted to make sure he was ok. She supports both her kids, she cares for them a lot,and especially since their dad died, she has to show them that.

Basically it prolly grosses him out. That Bella could sleep with a "dead" person. And he will be so incredibly jealous of Edward. He also will be scared stiff that Edward will lose control and hurt her.

A fancy one I am guessing LOL. Maybe the Aston Martin Vanquish??

As she sees how happy etc they all are, and she hopes that they will stay that way. Everything seems to be turning out perfect for her!!
Banner by the super talented TammyAZ!
Olderthandirt
Settled in Forks

Post by Olderthandirt »

To see for herself what her daughter had become involved in.......

Hello! Human emotions here! This question surprises me....given the PG nature of the board.

Doesn't he have an Aston Martin?

Again - Stephanie and her happy endings..... real life would probably have words being spoken other than Jacob and Edward.
dazzledBrit

Post by dazzledBrit »

I kinda felt that the thought could've been finished as "....while Jacob disappeared, heartbroken" or something like that. While I did wonder throughout the saga whether SM was heading towards Bella having some precognition, I didn't feel that that thought was about the future, more about Jacob's disappearance, which Bella shyed away from thinking about much of the time.

To support Leah - for Leah, having to chop off her hair when she became a wolf must've felt like the last straw so it made sense that her Mum would've tried to help her anyway she could. I think she attended the wedding to check on Seth - no way would she have let him go alone!

Because although he worries that Edward will kill Bella when trying to transform her, he accepts that Bella really doesn't think he will. And he really wants Bella to survive in some form, even as a vampire. He honestly believes the "real honeymoon" would kill Bella. Plus, he's insanely jealous of Edward ad really wants Bella himself, so for Edward to kill her having sex is his worst nightmare.

Edward's Aston I assumed.

Charlie & Renee & Phil show her that different kinds of love can survive, despite anything.
Rob's Halfway House member ~ Kristen, Rob AND Taylor fan - The Twilight pedant

Heading to Forks soon...
misskiley

Post by misskiley »

Maybe she wasn't sure,.. maybe she thought when Jacob was older he would take his rightful place as pack leader.

I think Bella's guess is the best assumption. Probably to help Leah silently. Sounds like Sue. Obviously Sue attended because she knew her son would go regardless and Billy would be there, she wanted to protect somewhat. Parental supervision at the vampire wedding! lol

He knows Edward would probably kill her, he probably thinks it's Edward being selfish, wanting to have sex with Bella, not the other way around completely.

ahhk.. I can't think of it, the Aston Martin Vanquish? He has a special occasions car, so of course he is going to use it for his wedding!

She got to see all of her family, one last time, and they were all so happy and loving and left everything on such a good note.
you.are.my.heroin

Post by you.are.my.heroin »

I think she wasn't sure about how Jake feels, he might take his place when he's older

She did it for unity with Leah, she didn't want her son to go alone

I think he wants her to be a "monster" as soon as possible so he can stop loving her.

Aston Martin Vanquish because it was said somewhere *cough*Midnight Sun*cough* that it's his favorite car

I think part of her wants to be able to see them again
**Kathryn**
Timothy
Learning to Love Green

Post by Timothy »

She knew that Sam might attack the vampires at some point.

I thought it was to show some solidarity with her daughter. She knows that not being a werewolf she isn't able to defend her family from vampires if should the need arise. But she's a mother, she'll defend her children no matter how futile the situation might be.

I guess he was just in denial. He just didn't want to think anything like that would happen.

I just assumed it was Edward's Aston Martin Vanquish.

I think she knows that her family will be okay even when she is a vampire and will never see them again. They will survive.

Death is peaceful, easy. Life is harder.
Gochiruzeru

Post by Gochiruzeru »

I honestly don't know.

I'm not sure about those either...Haha.

Because there's still a part of him that still wants her for himself, and doesn't want to think of her having sex with his "enemy".

A black limo with one-way windows. :D

She was glad that things were ending on a happy note, since she didn't know if she'd see them again.
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

I didn't see it as being unfinished.

Probably to support Leah. Probably to make sure Seth made it home.

Because a) I'm sure he doesn't want to think of Edward and Bella intimate and b) he's pretty sure Edward will kill her. He's probably also assuming that Edward has convinced her to do this for his own gain, rather than the other way around.

Rosalie's convertible? Most people have a convertible with the top down when they leave wedding receptions, so they can wave.

Because they seem united and happy. This would be a comfort to her as she knows that she is unlikely to see them again.