Discussion of the New Moon Movie

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
cascsiany
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Re: New Moon Movie ~ Take 2

Post by cascsiany »

I agree that Taylor looks too young and innocent to play post-werewolf Jacob. I really like Taylor and would be sad to not have him as Jacob anymore but if you look at it simply from a logistical point of view, the movie would take a ton longer to make if they keep Taylor. Really the only way they could make it work would be to delay the release and film New Moon and Eclipse at the same time instead of back to back, so that they could do other scenes when Taylor couldn't film. Regardless, it's gonna be a push to get the movie out.
EDC, Inc... Crane Trainee
Team Rosalie ~ Every Rose has its Thorn
"We can find some other way to pick a fight with this Demetri."~ Emmett, NM p. 534
Morgan University
Locard's Theory
soozabooza54
Frozen in Time

Post by soozabooza54 »

I know that getting the movie out fast is a concern, but it's ridiculous. If they just wanted to cast people who were 18+, they wouldn't have cast Kristen or Taylor. Clearly, they went for the best person for the role... and are now stepping a level down to get the movies out on time.

I swear... if they replace him... boooo.
E<3B
My pop culture blog - check it out! - http://asyetuntitled1.blogspot.com/
cascsiany

Post by cascsiany »

soozabooza54 wrote:I know that getting the movie out fast is a concern, but it's ridiculous. If they just wanted to cast people who were 18+, they wouldn't have cast Kristen or Taylor. Clearly, they went for the best person for the role... and are now stepping a level down to get the movies out on time.

I swear... if they replace him... boooo.
We really don't know Summit's reasons for possibly replacing Taylor. When they were making Twilight they originally were planning on just doing the one movie, which Taylor fit the role great. With NM you have to take into account that Jacob goes from looking 15/16 to 25, obviously making someone look like they've aged 10 years in a year is really just not possible.

Not only that but Summit hasn't even announced that they WILL replace Taylor. At this point in time it's just speculation.
"We can find some other way to pick a fight with this Demetri."~ Emmett, NM p. 534
Morgan University
Locard's Theory
soozabooza54
Frozen in Time

Post by soozabooza54 »

^I don't buy for one second that Summit ever thought this movie wouldn't be a hit. They were planning ahead. Gahhhh.

I'm just a wee bit frustrated with Summit at the moment. I"m not even Team Jacob... I just really love Taylor and think he's perfect for the part. And that it's crappy that this is even happening. But yes, you're right - until we hear from Summit, we don't really know. I can't even imagine what will happen though if they get someone else. I will cry, for sure. Ugh.

I would really love for Kristen, Rob, or Stephenie to come out and say "um, hey, you shouldn't change it" or something to that effect. It would make my day. :)
E<3B
My pop culture blog - check it out! - http://asyetuntitled1.blogspot.com/
TeamJacob!

Post by TeamJacob! »

cascsiany wrote: With NM you have to take into account that Jacob goes from looking 15/16 to 25, obviously making someone look like they've aged 10 years in a year is really just not possible.
Come on with the special effects these day is it really difficult?? if they can make brad pitt look 80, i think they could make Taylor a bit taller.
E<3B but I <3 Jacob
OFFICIAL ROBNAPPER SECURITY
>>>Thinks her avie provides proof that Rob does indeed have muscles...;D
cascsiany

Post by cascsiany »

I'm not saying that they couldn't do it but when you consider all the work that it's going to take just to get the movie out by end of 09/beginning of 10, adding the werewolves is gonna be tough process especially with the relatively small budget they have. They absolutely could make Taylor look older, but the better question is will they want to do the work or just get someone that looks/is older.
Morgan University
Locard's Theory
peachykeen
Settled in Forks

Post by peachykeen »

soozabooza54 wrote:I'm just a wee bit frustrated with Summit at the moment. I"m not even Team Jacob... I just really love Taylor and think he's perfect for the part. And that it's crappy that this is even happening. But yes, you're right - until we hear from Summit, we don't really know. I can't even imagine what will happen though if they get someone else. I will cry, for sure. Ugh.

I would really love for Kristen, Rob, or Stephenie to come out and say "um, hey, you shouldn't change it" or something to that effect. It would make my day. :)
I agree. I just think replacing Taylor would be a terrible mistake. Not only does it *really* bother me when actors are recast for sequels, but he's also just so perfect as Jacob. I had to warm up to most of the other cast members as their respective characters before I came to love them, but I knew that Taylor was the perfect Jacob the first time I watched an interview with him. I have total faith in him that he would do a fantastic job bringing the character to life.

I really don't care if Taylor doesn't look like a teenager trapped in a 25-year-old man's body. It's not worth recasting him. Plus, the poor kid's just been so psyched to play the part, AND he's been hitting the gym like 24/7 to fit the bulked-up Jacob role. Suddenly telling him he's not going to get it would just be cruel.
katyc
Settled in Forks

Post by katyc »

Well, about the Taylor thing, I would feel bad for him since I know that he really loves this role, but I'm sorry he still isn't Jacob to me. I mean, he passed as "Twilight" Jacob, but definitely not for any of the other books. He was supposed to be Edwards height at the prom, and you could tell their was a serious height difference in the movie. By the time Bella sees him in New Moon, he's several inches taller than that--and he looks older. I know a lot of you are saying that you can deal with him being shorter or looking younger in the movie version, but I think that his physical appearance is an essential part of his character. Many say that they should use CGI, but that is very costly to do with someone who is in the majority of the movie (the 2 after that as well), and they just don't have a budget to do that. Right now, there is no competition between Rob and Taylor--and there needs to be. Rob is what...22, 23---and he looks it. Jacob is supposed to look older than Edward. Taylor looks like a baby to me--it might be because I'm 5 years older than him, but he needs to have that intmidating, rough edge to him. Taylor's just too sweet for me. Sorry. I just thought I'd give my two cents.
lauralovescullens
Wandering Through Town

Post by lauralovescullens »

i agree that taylor isnt jacob to me either he does need to be more bulky and i dont really like him as jacob but i do feel sorry for him. summit should have thought about the castings not just for twilight but for new moon and eclipse aswell. and i really hont want chris weitz directing new moon. he directed golden compass right? that was probably the worst book to film adaptation of all time!!!!! i thougth it was terrible and that really makes me nervous about new moon. but even if taylor stays as jacob i dont think kristen and taylor look right together but twilight hasnt come out here yet so i dunno if he was good as jacob. i just dont hink they'll have enough chemistry on screen
I kept trying to kidnap Jasper but Alice is always at his window waiting for me. How does she kn- OH RIGHT!!!!
Private Laura Nicoll of Jaspers Confederate Army

jaspercookie

Post by jaspercookie »

I do feel sympathy for Taylor. You really shouldn't do that to an actor, especially to someone who really wasn't well known before this. Because this is his first big thing, he probably got more excited than say Kristen Stewart (who, I think, is the one who's really in need of replacing in my opinion).

However, if he does get replaced, it's not the end of the world. This Micheal guy looks like Jacob to me, and I think he'll be fine in the role. I'm just worried about how Taylor's going to take it personally. He's young and comparatively new to this business of big box office hits... I just feel kind of bad for him. If it was me, I know I'd be so disappointed. If he wasn't right for the part, they should not have casted him in the first place. That poor boy. :(