Discussion of the New Moon Movie

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
JenJen2112
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Re: Chris Weitz --New Moon movie director

Post by JenJen2112 »

I don't know about the Titanic thing...I think its a very different kind of love story though so its hard to compare...The Notebook too...written by Nicholas Sparks and then adapted and directed by men...well anything written by Nicholas Sparks...as I said before I don't think gender matters on this
everlong
Learning to Love Green

Post by everlong »

I think New Moon will be great even with a new director.
SM will not let him stray too far away from the book, she's our voice!

Also I too hope it doesnt turn into a kids movie with the wolves.
I'm a bit nervouse about that but all in all im excited and i trust SM, she won't let us down. ;)
Allison
Wandering Through Town

Post by Allison »

I've had a few days to let it settle in and I think I've decided I'm okay with Chris Weitz directing New Moon, for a few different reasons. I don't think I was ever really worried that the movie wasn't going to be good because he took over, I was just upset that it wouldn't be the indie-style version I was looking forward to from Catherine, who's style I love. But Chris Weitz may be perfectly suited to give us an even grander version, which I think is perfect in it's own way. I mean, Twilight was the beginning, the start to a sweeping romance, and very focused on their falling in love and the emotions involved in that. I think Catherine did an amazing job making the movie seem very intimate, not to mention the actors. I mean, you'd never believe there are 75 people standing around watching them! They've got sweet skills. But I digress...

New Moon opens up all these new doors, new emotions that are even more heightened and extreme; leaving the intimicy of Forks for the world abroad, leaving the intimacy of their relationship to include other loves, leaving the intimacy of just their story by expanding it into a whole history of vampires we start learning then.

Why then shouldn't we have a movie made by someone who has experience creating those grand scale visual backgrounds that are so vital in movies to help portray the immense depths of emotions going on? Wouldn't that fit the growing of the series, from small and intimate to bigger and, while not better per say, perhaps...juicier?

I'm not of the exact words to try and say what I'm thinking, the translation is lost somewhere between my brain and my fingers, so sorry if this makes sense only to me. =)

Here's hoping Chris makes us proud, and listens to Stephenie's advice! ;)
ImageImageImageNM p.201
Spartan
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Spartan »

I'm not sure that I'll like New Moon with Chris Weitz directing it. He directed the Golden Compass which I thought was a pretty crap movie - The Northern Lights was a really good book put he changed too much and put everything in the wrong order. I was one of the few in my friend group that has read the book and everyone needed it explained to them because the movie left a lot out. So for that I'm not too happy about him directing - Catherine Hardwicke would have been good because I thought the Twilight movie was very good and kept to the book well. But I guess I'll just have to wait and see - Perhaps it will be a very good film?
* * Sapere Aude * * Jasper is my Edward : D
shavei7
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by shavei7 »

Spartan wrote:I'm not sure that I'll like New Moon with Chris Weitz directing it. He directed the Golden Compass which I thought was a pretty crap movie - The Northern Lights was a really good book put he changed too much and put everything in the wrong order. I was one of the few in my friend group that has read the book and everyone needed it explained to them because the movie left a lot out. So for that I'm not too happy about him directing - Catherine Hardwicke would have been good because I thought the Twilight movie was very good and kept to the book well. But I guess I'll just have to wait and see - Perhaps it will be a very good film?
I had the same feeling with regards to CW but I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt now so I'm pretty excited about NM (except if they cast Copon as Jacob).

It seems TGC is not entirely CW's fault...here's the post from kuro_neko
kuro_neko wrote:as a golden compass nut, I followed the movie heavily. weitz was a huge fan of the books and the movie was basically deconstructed in post and re-edited and censored by the studio against his will (to appease the catholic church who were going nuts about the plot of the books). the movie, just like any other movie where the big heads at the studio meddle with the finished work, ended up feeling really off balance. that is my impression with the Twilight. I loved the movie (it converted me, I hadn't read any of the books before I saw it) but my impression was that the director had a distinct vision and the studio had another and the contrast didn't always work so well (the emotional scenes are great, aka the director, the more action-y stuff felt a bit off, my take is that the Hardwicke wanted to focus on the gut of the story, the emotional element, where the studio wanted to add more action). Anyways, I guess what I am saying is that Weitz is a great director, TGC movie is still a great movie despite the studio fudging it up, so as long as he is given some amount of creative control I don't think we have much to worry about.

all the rumours say that Twilight was saved in post from Hardwicke's horrid work by the post production editing team anyways....
Thnx for the awesome banner NIKKI/stellar87!
Team ROBWARD. But I get dibs on Taylor's abs!
slut.. skank.. slut.. skank.. turtle..
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by navarre »

SM seems to have faith in this guy. We'll see. Hardwicke did not grasp Twilight - Twilight is NOT indie, save indie for '13' and Lords of Dogtown. DO NOT take a beautiful vampire romance and put some ridiculous indie flair, that told me when I saw Twilight that Hardwicke does not have clue and is one-dimenisional. The book was not followed - it was BUTCHERED!!! :x :evil:

If people liked what Hardwicke did, fine. But there are a lot of us who did not like it and are very, very, happy that she was given the door! To bad she did not take Rosenberg with her. :x

We'll see about New Moon. I'm not going to worry about it until there is something to worry about.
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
Amethyst1
Completely Dazzled!

Post by Amethyst1 »

navarre wrote: If people liked what Hardwicke did, fine. But there are a lot of us who did not like it and are very, very, happy that she was given the door! To bad she did not take Rosenberg with her. :x
ahahahahahaha...I WISH.
i don't want Rosenburg either. her writing was horrible for the movie. i hope she gets replaced. or at the very least, Chris fixes the script, or just writes it himself. I head he was experienced in that too. he wrote the screenplay for about a boy, it won an award for best screenplay adaptation or something.
twilightbelle<3
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by twilightbelle<3 »

malaz wrote:
navarre wrote: If people liked what Hardwicke did, fine. But there are a lot of us who did not like it and are very, very, happy that she was given the door! To bad she did not take Rosenberg with her. :x
ahahahahahaha...I WISH.
i don't want Rosenburg either. her writing was horrible for the movie. i hope she gets replaced. or at the very least, Chris fixes the script, or just writes it himself. I head he was experienced in that too. he wrote the screenplay for about a boy, it won an award for best screenplay adaptation or something.
I just, ROSENBURG, she gets a little out of hand with her writing style, I loved the movie, a lot, and I actually liked that indie-ness, but...some of the lines and direction where like.. COME ON.
ImageImage
E<3B
MzLovely31
Settled in Forks

Post by MzLovely31 »

I would gladly be your first newborn in that army. All I can say is dont get rid of Taylor. Twilight didnt follow the book as it should so we really dont need Taylor to grow soo big. I think he needs to take that in to account as well. Plus the boy has been geared up for New Moon and now you wanna get rid of him...please. Instead of a new director why not get a new screen writer....he or she has been the one to really screwed things up in the first case.

1. why did we need a field trip in Twilight the movie....she could have put in the scene in the book where Bella passed out in Biology.

2.Why kill Charlie's friend...why did we need him??

3.Bella always cooks for Charlie...since when did she start eating at the Lodge??

4. More dialogue was needed with Bella and Edward....the girl only slipped twice

Chris had better come hard or their will not be enough money to continue with the other 2 books.
JenJen2112
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by JenJen2112 »

I like CW and I REALLY hope they get a new writer for Eclipse if MR can't pull off New Moon but if they film back to back like a lot of places have been saying, we won't be able to react to NM and Eclipse's screenplay will be done and filmed...