Introduce yourself here.
Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Jolene
Settled in Forks

help from anyone who has read the book and seen the movie

Post by Jolene »

Hey guys,
basically i am writing my dissertation for my media degree on adaptation theory and basing it on how twilight was adapted from a book to a film and im looking for any willing volunteers to answer a few questions for me...
basically i want to know what you thought of the movie in comparison to the book
did you like the book or the movie more?
did you like the movie at all?
if yes, why? if no, why?
and any general observations etc
if you could reply to this it would be amazing
thanks in advance :mrgreen:
n0vaice
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy
Location: On a beach, half dipped in a beautiful blue sea, under the summer rain. Waiting for YOU to kiss me.

Re: help from anyone who has read the book and seen the movie

Post by n0vaice »

The book definitely! more detail. love the movie because its good to
put a face behind the characters. Their are alot of changes from the
book to the movie. Understandable though since you really can't fit
a book in a movie. I'm Karl welcome to the lex.

Ps. I think you should transfer this post in "Quench you thirst". That's where
you usually talk about these things or the twilight universe. This is only used for
introductions. :D
ÖBLF = GennyÖ∩WA∩ΦMed StudentΦÜHanny's grand frere܃ Karl Valentino Brassi ~ Mafiaƒ
ΘSami, Rose, Fatima, Raven and Mimi are my Twi-GirlsΘΩTetrarch of LexicalliaΩ
Jolene
Settled in Forks

Post by Jolene »

hi karl, thanks for the response. i tried to post it there but it said i wasnt able to post in there or something...maybe because im new?
n0vaice
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy
Location: On a beach, half dipped in a beautiful blue sea, under the summer rain. Waiting for YOU to kiss me.

Post by n0vaice »

Hahaha really? don't know anything about that cause
I'm mostly active in this thread only. Try to PM
a MOD. But I don't think It's because your new. :)
ÖBLF = GennyÖ∩WA∩ΦMed StudentΦÜHanny's grand frere܃ Karl Valentino Brassi ~ Mafiaƒ
ΘSami, Rose, Fatima, Raven and Mimi are my Twi-GirlsΘΩTetrarch of LexicalliaΩ
CyanicalReaper
Settled in Forks

Post by CyanicalReaper »

I like the book better, so awesome!

The movie was good, I liked it :D

if yes, why? if no, why?
I liked the book better, because the movie had missed a bunch of parts from the book, but they did have to fit it in 2 hours.

*edit*

How are they going to do the meadow scene with laurent in new moon if there was no meadow in twilight movie? :shock:
Last edited by CyanicalReaper on Fri May 08, 2009 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jasper Hale-Screwing With Your Emotions Since 1863

Jasper LoveLock ~ Jasper's Army
sarah!
Digging the Castle Motif
Location: Tieing Derek in thunderball, having poke wars with Logan, and woiloping with sam!

Post by sarah! »

CyanicalReaper wrote:did you like the book or the movie more?
I like the book better, so awesome!

The movie was good, I liked it :D

if yes, why? if no, why?
I liked the book better, because the movie had missed a bunch of parts from the book, but they did have to fit it in 2 hours.
COMPLETELY AGREED!

But this isn't the correct thread for this.
ImageImage
BLF-Logan, Twinny-Chels, Jell-o! My Twi-guys-Derek and Logs, Lemur 4 LIFE!
Soul&Romance
Wandering Through Town

Post by Soul&Romance »

basically i want to know what you thought of the movie in comparison to the book
I thought the movie was extremely subpar. The screenplay was dreadful, the directing was so-so. The movie left out (or just butchered) way too many important scenes.

The book, undoubtedly.

I do...kind of.

if yes, why? if no, why?
I enjoyed seeing the story play out on screen and I could watch it over and over again...but it wasn't what it should have been at all. Like I said before, too many missing or altered scenes, not to mention additional scenes that were completely unnecessary. Many of the actors were very out of character in comparison to the book (which I attribute mostly to the directing). All in all I was disappointed with it, but I could still watch it over and over again.

and any general observations etc...
I don't think Melissa Rosenberg should have written the screenplay AT ALL. This Saga needs a writer who is passionate about the books and the characters and the story, but just someone who is going to read through it once before sitting down to butcher it. I think, had someone else with more passion taken her place, the movie would have been 100x better than what it was.

You held out your hand, and I took it without stopping to make sense of what I was doing.
For the first time in almost a century, I felt hope.
rjupiter
Learning to Love Green

Post by rjupiter »

I saw the movie first and on the outset I liked it. I then went a read the books and was surprised at how much more detailed the book was in comparison.

Did I care for the movie more then the book, no.

Did I think the book was "adapted" at all, no. To me it felt more like it was "based on" rather then adapted. This is evident from the whole rewriting of scenes, putting in new stuff and basically changing the dynamic and storyline from the book. But that from poor screenwriting, editing and directing, they hit the trifecta of bad.

Do I buy the excuse that it was because it was only a two hour movie, again no. I think there are many successful adaptation that not only bring written work to life, I.e. I can see the characters, but have added to the book and went on to much acclaim, I can name some Oscar winners.

Did I think the movie missed the mark in focus, yes. It was a movie more about teen angst with vampires thrown in. It reminded of Vampire High. To much focus on generic school issues and not enough of the characters and their relationship to one another.

I believe many people will say the book is better and the movie is something else, for those who can see pasts its flaws and enjoy it.

Good luck with your paper. Hopefully it does a bit better then mine did about "The Vampire on Television:
It’s Mythology and Nature
"
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

did you like the book or the movie more? the book definitely. it's just so awesome. I just hate how in book to movie adaptation some of the best & favorite scenes have to get cut.

did you like the movie at all? I did enjoy the movie. I knew it was going to be different &have changed/added scenes. so I went in with an open mind & tried not to think of the book as I was watching it. I liked it better the second time because I knew what to expect and enjoyed it more.

if yes, why? if no, why? it's really cool to see the story come to life and to see the wonderfulness of Edward on screen. considering they had to condense a 500+ page novel into a 2 hour movie I think they did a good job. Plus all the Cullen boys are just hot! and I like how I can get a Twilight fix in 2 hours when I don't really want to take the time to read :D
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
Jolene
Settled in Forks

Post by Jolene »

Thanks so much guys, this is actually SO helpful :D