Gex X--the 30 something thread

oleander
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Re: Gex X--the 30 something thread

Post by oleander »

your Cabbage Patch could be the twin of mine! That's hilarious, Twinnie!

Nah, i'm not wallowing, i'm just wistful and thankful that i had the time with him that i did.

I'm bored, gang! It's saturday night and i'm sitting home reading fanfiction! i need something to do!
Variety
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Variety »

oleander - thanks for sharing. You had me in tears.

My favorite Christmas memory was after my first year of college. I lived away from home the first year (local school, though), and was very much wrapped up in the newness of being on my own. But the following year, I moved home, and soon after met my husband at church. We had gotten engaged a few weeks before Christmas, and it was the first time I remember feeling like an adult, and being accepted as one. I remember really seeing my parents in a new light that year. That year was the first time I helped them set out Christmas for all my younger brothers and sisters. We stayed up way past midnight wrapping presents and talking. The following morning, after he had Christmas with his family, my (then) fiance came over and surprised me with a gift - his truck! I was shocked! I wouldn't be able to drive it right away, until he was able to fix up another car that his dad was giving us as a wedding gift. I was still able to drive my parents' extra car, so I was fine with that. But hubby didn't want me driving an unreliable car, which mine was, and so was the one his dad was giving us, so he wanted me to have the truck. I loved that little Nissan truck until our son was born (a car seat doesn't fit in a Nissan truck), then we traded it in for another car.

Now, I better get back to the sewing (Christmas pajamas).
Where there is great love, there are always miracles. -Willa Cather
BlueStarlight
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by BlueStarlight »

Seriously, did we ALL have the red-headed Cabbage Patch Doll??? LOL! Wait! Mine had blonde pigtails. My "kock-off" had red pigtails.

I just love reading all these Christmas memories! I remember the first gift I got from Santa at the Daycare. It was a necklace with a green turtle pendant. It came in a pouch that was green with white turtles on it. Now, this is where things started to seem odd to me as a kid. I looked at that necklace, admiring it... turned it over, and it was stamped "Avon." Hmmm, I thought Santa's elves made the toys? What...Santa can't order from the Avon lady??? *chuckle*
LadyDi
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by LadyDi »

oleander, you're bored? You could shovel my sidewalks - then again, both of us are probably facing another mini-blizzard. (Maybe this needs a QOTD: What do you do when you are bored and don't know what to do with yourself? As for me, I check my multitude of emails, read, nap, or scrapbook.)

My parents went and lined up to get me my Cabbage Patch Kid at the height of the craze. Her name was Rozanne Lisbeth. My sister said Cabbage Patch dolls were ugly; then she saw mine and wanted one of her own and got one of those bald Cabbage Patch Preemies. Then my little brother wanted one and my parents bought one of the knock-off versions. Then, my mom, who is an amazing seamstress, made her own. She called them "Strawberry Patch Kids" and put her own signature on the bum. We still have them!

Favourite Christmas memory? That's a tough one. I have two that would go under "worst". You tell me which is worst.
1) Xmas 1994 - a very heady time. Hubby and I had gotten engaged (secretly, because it would have freaked both sets of parents to know how quickly we did it) and he had to fly back to the US to be with his family for the Christmas holiday. I was such a sad, pathetic, sappy mess. I wrote him daily, called every other day and just missed him like crazy, and no one understood why it was so especially hard.
2) Xmas 2006 - after my immediate family (hubby, kids, me) did our Christmas stuff at our house in the morning, we went to my parents in the afternoon. My siblings were there (I'm 1 of 3) but I'm the only one with children. We were waiting until after dinner to open gifts. My kids (who were quite young at the time) were super eager and finding it hard to wait. My siblings *insisted* that we clean up *before* opening gifts, including washing every single dish (no dishwasher at the folks' place) and packing everything away. I disagreed - the kids had waited hours and hours, and I felt it was more important for us to be together opening gifts as a group than washing up (the clean up could wait). Well, this turned into a huge argument, with my sister and brother refusing to come into the living room to open presents and loudly complaining about how stupid I was and how I spoiled my kids so rotten that they couldn't wait a bit longer. My parents didn't try to solve it or make a decision either way, so it was a very ugly scene. We left early. Christmas hasn't been quite the same since (I can forgive, but I don't forget easily).
This banner is designed by the one-of-a-kind talent known on the Lex as Fry. Thanks!
twilightmom
Fishing with Charlie

Post by twilightmom »

Oleander - your story is so touching and beautiful... I am in tears! *HUGS*

Okay, so I was one of those kids that did NOT get a Cabbage Patch Doll. I got the faux Bald Baby Boy. I still loved him, even though he was not authentic. I also got a sweet turn table that year (in the photo) - I think I got the 45 for Duran Duran "Wild Boys" and Chicago's "Hard to Say I'm Sorry" Yes, I was so cool!

Oh, and wait.... I'm still in shock - did he really cut off all his hair? Is it wrong that I want him even more now? :oops:

Christmas memories: The one when Rob cuts off his hair and comes to visit me? Oh wait, that was my dream... (Well, in my dream he still had the hair!) I don't know... I don't have one stand out from the other stories. I loved all my Christmases... My granny would always come stay with us and we'd go to church Christmas eve, come home and open one gift (which always lead to "just one more...") Then we'd open our gifts Christmas morning, have yummy food, hang out in PJs all day. It was and still is a blast! I can't wait this year - a 5 and 2.5 year old! We'll be living large here!
Banner created by the incredibly talented Nena! THANK YOU, MY FRIEND!
oleander
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by oleander »

Well, i found something to do. I have been trying to find the nerve to attempt to write fanfic and tonight, in a fit of what might be insanity, I started writing it. I've got ten or eleven pages written up. I don't know how good it is, but i'm just glad i started it. Once i let my fingers do the talking it just sort of took over. I've also been half-watching True Blood at the same time. I'm behind and HBO Canada has shown a couple of episodes tonight that i needed to see.

Looks like we're getting pummeled tomorrow night and Monday. Environment Canada says:
An intensifying winter storm originating in the southern United States will track across southern New Brunswick overnight Sunday. Snow at times heavy will begin late in the day Sunday in southern New Brunswick and spread northeastward throughout the evening. Amounts of 15 to 30 centimetres are forecast although locally amounts of up to 40 centimetres are possible mainly in central and eastern regions. Along with the heavy snowfall will be high winds reducing visibilities in blowing snow for an extended period of time. Winds will be especially strong along both the Fundy and Gulf of St Lawrence coasts with gusts possibly exceeding 90 km/h along the Acadian Peninsula.

30cm=11.8"
40cm=15.74"
90km/h=55.92 mph

this wouldn't bother me but my sister and her family are moving back from England on Tuesday and I would hate for their flight to be delayed or canceled so close to Christmas.
skylarblue
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by skylarblue »

I also had the Cabbage Patch with the blonde pigtails and the Preemie with the one dimple. I use to love those things. I still have mine but they are burried deep in our basement and they are probably so messed up that I wouldn't even want to look at them now.

Christmas memories - I think my favorite have been the ones spent with JL because at the stage I am now in my life, I love giving more then receiving. Nothing can compare to the wonder and excitement in someone's eyes when they open a present and get something that they totally wished for or never expected and the happiness that something so random and unexpected is just awesome.

I'm sad that JL is at the age now where he knows who "Santa" is and nothing is a surprise but sometimes it's nice to play "Santa" and surprise everyone now and then and I try to make it my mission to do that.

oleander-I loved your story about you and your dad. It makes me think of the times that my dad and I spent together. My dad wasn't a big talker either but when he shared stories or just wanted to talk, it was something really special. I can understand how sad it is but yet a really wonderful memory to have. *HUGS* to you.
EDC Inc~New Trainee Supervisor~Team Emmett!
Team Kellan~Proud Klutzer!
MS Virgin & Randomness Irregular!
ellalou73
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by ellalou73 »

I wanted a Cabbage Patch Kid so bad, but my mom refused to spend that kind of money on a doll, and wouldn't let her parents spend that kind of money on one. So I got a doll that was specially made to fit one of my baby dresses, actually she fit into most of the baby clothes my mom had saved from when I was little. I can't really describe the material she was made out of but she had yellow yarn hair, and she had a pacifier, because I wanted one with that, and I named her Carol Anne because I was recently obsessed with Poltergeist, and I loved that name. Mom wasn't happy with that fixation of mine but any way I loved that doll because she was like a real baby. Later on I did get a cabbage patch preemie, Can't remember her name, but they also came out with these dolls around that same time called My Child, I think and you could get them with blue eyes and your same color hair. I think I got her after my mom passed away, I don't remember much of that time in my life in a proper order, but anyway that's my story.

Okay what do I do when I'm bored and don't know what to do with myself? I don't think I get to that point. I am always doing something. If it's not writing fanfic, it's playing on my PS2, watching a movie or TV, or reading Twilight for the umteenth million time.

Oleander, where can I find your story???? I want to read.
Last edited by ellalou73 on Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
ellalou73
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by ellalou73 »

Froze up on me and posted it three times sorry.
Last edited by ellalou73 on Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
ellalou73
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by ellalou73 »

it was freezing up I didn't mean for it to post three times