Gen Y -- The 20 something's thread

Tabs
Learning to Love Green

Re: Gen Y -- The 20 something's thread

Post by Tabs »

Yikes, heaps of stuff to reply to. First, Happy Birthday Cappu and Lisette! And yay for Obama!

Second, here's what I've got of the birthday list. If you want to be added, or I've missed you, or I've got something wrong, just put it in one of your posts.

CappuGirl January 21 (1982)
Lisette January 21 (1984)
Vampire_elf March 21 (1982)
Holly March 29 (1980)
Kim April 17 (1986)
Rose April 29
Tabs June 1 (1980)
Paulinha June 20 (1981)
Liezie June 20 (1984)
CiaoBella June 23 (1986)
Sam July 12 (1985)
OKToSink Aug 5 (1989)
SenorGimp Aug 17 (1985)
Jasmine Aug 28 (1981)

OK, I can't believe how out of hand the whole stalking/tracking conversation got! :lol: :lol: Maybe just to be real clear. ITS A JOKE PEOPLE! :lol: I really don't think Sam or I have any intention of hunting Robert Pattinson around LA. He's a little young for me anyway. :)

Kim, I'm really sorry to hear about your job. I had to leave my job recently because I hurt my back, and it's really stressful not knowing what's coming. I'm sure you'll find something though, and I'll be thinking of you. Wish I could help.

Ninna, I'm also sorry about your husband not passing his exam. It's really hard to know what to do in that situation, whether to just keep trying or not. For both you and Kim, I really feel like I wish there was something I could do, but unfortunately all I can do is send you both all my positive energy, and hopes for you to find a solution.

On the hair thing, um I get the same thing done all the time, and I asked the hairdresser the first time. I'm useless with hair, and makeup, and clothes. I just bought a book called "Dress like a star" that tells you what to wear for your body shape. Sorry I can't help with the hair thing. :)

On the nice guy thing (Eddie, this isn't about you, but about that article) - I'm in two minds. I do think there are some nice guys who find it difficult to find girls to go out with. But the same is true, I think, of girls. I'm not sure how to say this without offending anyone, but let me try. I think partly what Paulinha said is true - it seems inherent in humans not to want what is too available to them. There's a part of us that wants the excitement of meeting someone and not knowing if they'll like us or not. The person that you've known for ages, that you always really know is interested in you, can't give you that. All of us I think are looking to be validated by someone who we look up to, that that person would think we're great. And each person has a different idea of who they would 'look up to'. For me, I always wanted the confident, cheeky guys who would dance with everyone to validate me by being interested, because they were so unlike me, yet they were like what I wanted to be. I thought they had it all, and I wanted them to say I was ok. I think it's a mistake to assume the girls who have these 'guy friends' who they bring to things are mean, or selfish. Those girls also want 'that person' to say they matter enough to go out with.

So the part where I might offend someone - I'm a pretty attractive person, I dress well, I'm very educated, I have nice hair. I'm not trying to be arrogant, I just need to make the point that I have some of these 'guy friends' who I pretty much know are interested in me or may be interested. And I'm sure that at least one of them feels like I'm using them. But I've been very clear that we're friends, and that's it. And to me, the thing is this. There are other people in our group of friends who would go out with them. But those guys aren't interested in the quiet, plain, girls in our group who would happily go out with them. They want to run round after me doing everything I want to try to get me to go out with them. I guess I just mean that everyone's the same really. There are people you are interested in and people you're not. No one is really that nice that they would be happy to go out with just ANYONE. Even these nice guys want to go out with specific people, not others.

I have a good friend, B, who is one of these guys. But he started seeing this girl, and then after two dates she decided that it wouldn't work because he lives away, so it would have to be long distance. So he said to her 'why don't we be friends then anyway', which she was fine with. But today I was talking to him and he was saying that they'd been out like seven times now and she hadn't even held his hand. I was like, man you told her you wanted to be friends. She's taking your word for it. :) He had it like a way to get in. :)

And sorry if any of this sounds harsh, but I have a serious problem with people who write things like this:
"This is for that time she left 40 urgent messages on your cell phone, and when you called her back, she spent three hours painstakingly dissecting two sentences her boyfriend said to her over dinner. And even though you thought her boyfriend was a chump and a jerk, you assured her that it was all ok and she shouldn’t worry about it. This is for that time she interrupted the best killing spree you’d ever orchestrated in GTA3 to rant about a rumor that romantically linked her and the guy she thinks is the most repulsive person in the world. And even though you thought it was immature and you had nothing against the guy, you paused the game for two hours and helped her concoct a counter-rumor to spread around the floor "

When I read this I think "WHY are you doing this? If you hate it so much, and you think this girl is such a b**ch, why are you doing these things, and then complaining. Your friends would be wondering why you keep chasing after this jerk, when there's a really nice girl who likes you!

Sorry. May have got carried away. :oops: :oops:
Awesome banner by MRK

Member of the Gen Y Lexily!

I <3 Shadowhunters - Cause rune tattoos are SO hot, and Jace would never hurt the Cullens, they're good vampires.
EddieC
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by EddieC »

The answer is cause we're silly!

Nahh, I kid, I think I know why, but typing on the phone hurts.

Oh tabs, April 18

Paulina and cappu and tabs, thanks! I needed that, it's good for my mental health.
All about Flash Mobs
... bit of a Geek
... Ultimate happy
... and a hopeless romantic
cascsiany
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by cascsiany »

Tabs i'm the day after you June 2nd.

Eddie, personally, i like the nice guys, my best friend's one of those nice guys. The only reason why it hasn't gone any further than that is the long distance between us.
EDC, Inc... Crane Trainee
Team Rosalie ~ Every Rose has its Thorn
"We can find some other way to pick a fight with this Demetri."~ Emmett, NM p. 534
Morgan University
Locard's Theory
Wingtear
Playing Thunderball

Post by Wingtear »

First out, THANK YOU GUYS!!! you've warmed my heart today!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARIA AND LISETTE!!!!

Tabs - add me, add me... December 5 (1983)

Eddie - about 'nice guys'... well, just as they say about nice girls, they finish last. Not because they're not as good as anyone, but because they let everyone pass them, because they're nice...
There are a lot of girls out there who loves a 'nice guy', but they have to get to meet them. Now, my friend J is a 'nice guy' and he's been single for as long as I've known him. and I have a feeling it's because of him not telling girls he wanna be more than friends. He has TONS of girl-friends, but never a girlfriend...

I took new ID-photos today. Didn't feel like it at all, but I have to order my new drivers license and such... And since I have all ID-pictures I've ever had taken saved, I posted them on photobucket. Made me laugh. I look so different but still the same, almost 11 years after the first on. What do you think?
1. I'm 14 and it's for my first passport. This was the first picture ever of me that I liked.
2. ID-card. I was sitting on a high chair, the photographer kneeling on the floor, I didn't recognize myself.
3. first drivers license
4. they had scrapped the pictures for the renewed license, so I had to take new ones, again...
5. for my Judo-Passport.
6. for the honeymoon passport
7. For all my new ID's, license and passport. I like this one, same photographer as the very first one.
Banner and avatar by the amazing MRK
vampire_elf
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by vampire_elf »

First of all:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CAPPUGIRL AND LISETTE! Have a wonderful birthday, both of you!

So many pages! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Sorry, but I'll have to skip reading them (at least for now). Maybe someone wants to summarized it for me? ;)

Just wanted to say I'm back home! Lots to do. Lots to catch up. I'll write more when I have more time.

Banner by the amazing MRK!
Obsessed 20 something Twilighter
MRK
Fishing with Charlie

Post by MRK »

Ugh post went away

Ninna~ so cute to see you growing up...you look different with dark hair...I favor the side part on you!

Boys~ Girls like nice boys as friends...they only fall in love with boys who challenge them :lol: SORRY!

Tabs~ My b-day is Aug 28 1979 (I have to join the 30+ group soon!)

Vamp-elf~ Welcome back!

Paulhina~ good points...I agree you can't claim to be selfless if you are hurt when someone doesn't praise you for doing something. And not truly being yourself just because you think a girl wants you to do/be a certain way is a form of manipulation. Youre deceiving her in the end. No good, just be yourself. Honestly, it makes more of an impression when a guy you know HATES the ballet (for example) but brings you just because he knows it'll make you happy. We're suckers for watching you be miserable to make us happy!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY PEEPS!!!
CantBreathe
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by CantBreathe »

Kim- Looks like Harry Potter is a must add to my "To Read" list. Sorry :oops: Glad to hear you're staying positive about the job thing, I'm sure you will find something soon enough. Enjoy the break while you can ;) I don't belong to either of those sites and honestly don't know if I can handle another social networking type deal. I'm already drowning between MySpace, Facebook, and here. I just love your taste in music though, you must be my musical soulmate!

Senor- Again my apologies for my blasphemous behavior. I will read them as soon as I possibly can, I promise. I think we cover plenty of other topics of conversation even if Rob does pop up fairly often hehe

Eddie- Oops my bad! I swear there was some guy who was just 19 but must have been some other guy who we've scared away by now. Napoleon Dynamic? :lol: Your ex definitely needs to start respecting your wishes, that's really not fair to you. Regarding the nice guys... I can't tell you why but in my case it is absolutely true. I've dated ONE nice guy in my life. We only went out like 3 or 4 times, he was absolutely perfect, and I could not get myself into him at all. Throw a loser/a-hole my way and I am head over heels in love :roll: I wish it wasn't so... I hope to someday solve this problem, I don't want to date jerks of course. I definitely do not use my nice guy friends though, that's another breed of mean girl. I'm sure not all girls are crazy like me though, don't give up!

Happy Birthday Lisette and CappuGirl!

CappuGirl- Ah I feel much better knowing I am not the only one who has not read HP! Thank you! I'll have to track down that Facebook flair and display so my mom can see it :lol: Not sure if she'll be able to figure it out at all though. She called me at 7 AM this morning to tell me she needs help with her FB this weekend while I am visiting :roll: Yes I do believe we are exaggerating just a tad on the stalking Rob ;) Don't worry you won't be seeing a mugshot of mine anytime soon!

Kiella- YAY I love all those movies too! My one friend blew my mind when he told me he didn't think Pineapple Express was funny at all :shock: No sense of humor then, I say. I do need to see Nick and Nora, you are dead on about Michael Cera.

Ninna- Ooh I like the upgraded avi! I like how you posted those pictures, very cute to see all your little changes. I feel I look pretty much the same as I have since I was about 12 or so other than some hair changes and putting on some weight. I hope you're in better spirits today!

Vampire_elf- Glad to hear you have made it home safely! I wish I could sum everything up for you, but as you know we have so many conversations at once. I think it is impossible to summarize so hurry and catch up! :D

MRK- Oh noes! You won't be leaving us twenty somethings behind will you? :cry: I think if we can make an exception for a 19 year old, then we can make an exception for a 30 year old, right?
~Sisterhood of the Traveling Book~ I left my heart on the Gen Y thread... my Lexily!
Tabs
Learning to Love Green

Post by Tabs »

Hey guys, sorry about my little breakdown before. :) I just tend to have a bit of a strong reaction to stuff like that article. Anything that sounds like someone who is doing something, and then blaming someone else for the fact that they are doing it, makes me see red. I think people should take responsibility for themselves. :) I was thinking about it this morning, and I was smiling, because the thing is, I don't see anything wrong with 'Shawshanking' someone, but you have to know you're doing it, and that the person doesn't owe you anything. Specially as they might not even know how you feel about them and take your friendship on face value.

(Oh, BTW, don't know if you will all know the expression 'to Shawshank' someone. Some guys on one of our radio shows were talking about it. It comes from the Shawshank Redemption, you know how Tim Robbins spends like, years taking tiny bits of dirt out to the yard so he can eventually escape? Well, to Shawshank someone basically means spending ages 'waiting' through someone's bad relationship, hoping they'll eventually get a clue and being the perfect person while you wait. Helping them out, listening, doing things you know they want their boy/girlfriend to do but they don't. That kind of thing. :))

Oh and Eddie, I completely get it when you say "Because we're silly". I just think maybe that's why the girls are running after these other guys, 'the jerks' as well. Because they're also being silly, but about someone else? I think it's basically why being alive sucks sometimes. Because things don't usually add up in pairs. I like this one guy, and he likes someone else, and the she likes someone else again, and everyone gets hurt. Yuck. I dunno. :)

Anyway, so sorry. :oops: Didn't mean to attack anyone. And Eddie, was definitely not saying anything about you, just about whoever wrote the article. Because it sounded really bitter and cruel. Anyway.

Ninna! You look so beautiful in those photos! I can't believe you manage to look good in ID photos. I had some taken the other day and as usual I look like a serial killer. :)

Oh, and MRK, I definitely won't be throwing you out when you reach 30. I'm not that far behind you and I don't wanna get kicked out either. Maybe if we get in 'tracker' mode and stay real quiet, noone will notice. 8-)
Awesome banner by MRK

Member of the Gen Y Lexily!

I <3 Shadowhunters - Cause rune tattoos are SO hot, and Jace would never hurt the Cullens, they're good vampires.
EddieC
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by EddieC »

Rawr, Tabs - I'm completely shattered and you ruined my entire day by saying all those mean things

... XD <3 I kid

It's not, the article is not as a sound for attention, at least, thats not my impression, it's an article of appreciation to others, thats what I'm thinking.

At least, thats what I hope.

You know what I've been thinking a lot about it.

Why do we even complain, we're nice to people cause we want to be friends, if we're going for a girl, we're gonna do more then that, i mean, I hope the guy does understand that, niceness will not win you any wars.

Sometimes, you've got to get dirty and stick your head in there, you've got to make them want you.

Oh yah, self esteem helps. That and confidence.

<3s Tabs
All about Flash Mobs
... bit of a Geek
... Ultimate happy
... and a hopeless romantic
MRK
Fishing with Charlie

Post by MRK »

ROFL *I AM STEALTH* shhhhh....lurks quietly in the shadows of the 'old'