Gen Y -- The 20 something's thread

OktoSink
Buying a Better Raincoat

Re: Gen Y -- The 20 something's thread

Post by OktoSink »

SenorGimp - No worries... Although I am at the ever-so-tender age of 19, I'll put forth all my effort to hold back the screeches. ;)
SenorGimp
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by SenorGimp »

you don't need to completely refrain.. My love does it too, so I'm pretty used to it, but just not all the time if you can avoid it :roll: :lol:
jk, I know you're all deeper than that!
I've barely heard any screeches since I've been on here
We Love Mumford And Sons!
1 of 2 Active Members of Team Gimp
Proud Member of the Gen Y Lexily
http://www.fanfiction.net/~senorgimp
CappuGirl
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by CappuGirl »

Thanks for the congrats! :D And Happy birthday, Lisette! =)
I'm not really celebrating today. I might buy a little cake and my friend said she might be coming over. But we're going to "celebrate my bd" the 30th as in we'll get drunk and dance like there's no tomorrow. =) Then it's probably gonna take 'till may 1st when I'll next drink any alcohol. I'm not into drinking very often...

Eddie, sorry about your leg. So: you're licensed to be lazy. I'm so jelous! 8-) And seems to me like your ex might be wanting you back... *whistle* What horrible deed did she commit? Too bad it's so slow to recover from a heartbreak.. *hugsie*
Fanboy... =) You made me chuckle and blush...
Ps. I'm in FB too. PM me if you want my name and wanna add me...

Jasmine, I'm kind of the opposite of you. I like it when cadgets have more than one function. I get more use out of them and they feel more worth their price. But I do have to agree you about phones. I hate it that the battery doesn't last long if I listen to music with it and the memorycard is always full of pictures and music. So even if I do have those things on my phone, I keep wanting a proper MP3player or an Ipod and a decent digicamera. Don't really like the quality of shots on my phone camera.
I hope you're not going blind! o_0 Thumbs up that it's just something small and harmless...

hair... I'm very bad with hair. And make-up. I'm one of those people that never wants to go to a hairdresser. I cut my hair only 1-3 times a year and if I can get someone do it for free, I take it. Hub's mom and one of my friends (she actually studied it for few years) is pretty good at it. There has been times when it's been years between my visits to a hairdresser! :lol: I just think it's like getting robbed to pay huge sums of money for something that doesn't even take much time and seemingly little effort. I do love it when I have curls in my hair, so if I'm on the mood for those; then i'll go to hairdresser and pay a huge amount of money to sit down for two hours and get a good perm... Um, well: good and good.. I've had really bad experiences of the hairdressers in this town (in the last 7 years)..
I dye my own hair every now and then. Gosh, I hated my blond hair last summer.. I'm a redhead at heart. =)

CiaoBella,
I got chuckles out of your friend pulling an Edward-imitation. What crazy person goes swimming in january?!
Loved what you said about my boys. *chuckles* I'm afraid I might have frighten some of the people here so bad you'll never have kids. So maybe some nicer kid-related-stories are in order. =) So: Kisses and hugs. I never had those when I was growing up so I've made sure that my kids get loads of them. Here's a little side-effect to that: everytime my kids (the boys especially) see me and hubby kissing, they want their share too. And the little poo-pup is the cutest thing ever when he wants a kiss! =) He sees daddy kiss me on the mouth, so he wants it on the lips too even if I've teached them that kids kiss on the cheek. But he won't have that. He's the strongest two year old ever! When he gets really annoyed of me dogging his lips-to-lips-kisses, he takes my head in both of his hands (sometimes crasps my ears!) and pulls me in and don't let go until he has given me the sweetest little smoochie ever! :lol:

SenorGimp and Buffster! I'm loving your fanfic! =) Leah and Mike are my two favorite side characters. =) And what an interesting new twist!

Ninna-hun.. you need a *hugsie*! Your day sounded dreadful. I hope you have fresh eyes now and can find some positive sides to it. If not, I'm here. Don't ever hesitate. Works both ways. ;)
*one more hug for the road*

Stalking/tracking.. Count me out. I might sound like I'm stalking some celebs on the internet alot but I try to use just magazine pics and -stuff they've agreed to do them selves. I refuse to look at anything that supports the vultures = paparazzi. I hate how celebs get treated and loose their privacy. I for one wanna give them their space... So no real-stalking for me...

Oktosink. Puppy chow sounds delicious! :p

Gawd, you people are fast posting.. two more pages while I've been trying to read and reply the previous five.. I think I'm gonna have to reply pages 91 and up AFTER I get back home or some time later today.. Have to get going to buy some food and the cake.. I woke up with a bit of a bellyache this morning (and had some yesterday too) but now it feels like it's easing down.. Hopefully I won't have to say that shopping made it worse... I'm going by car and driving stresses me out and I stress with my belly...*EDIT:I DON'T have to say it. yay!*
Last edited by CappuGirl on Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
SenorGimp
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by SenorGimp »

thanks cappu!!
we're doing our best to make it enjoyable, and i like to think we're doing a passable job. It's been really amazing, developing this story with two points of view coming together to make one!! I'm so blessed to have such a wonderful person to work with :P
What happened to your leg eddie?
it's probably already been said like a zillion times, but i haven't heard so...
Also, I gotta try this puppy chow stuff!! lol
We Love Mumford And Sons!
1 of 2 Active Members of Team Gimp
Proud Member of the Gen Y Lexily
http://www.fanfiction.net/~senorgimp
cascsiany
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by cascsiany »

For those new to the thread, I'm Cascsiany, cas for short. I'm a 21 year old college student.

Wing that sucks about the beta. i'm willing to if you need me

Glad you guys like the story. I have certain parts written but am trying to write earlier occurrences.

So there are other young ones on here.

My birthday is in June.

My native tongue is English.

I've been working a ton lately but I should be on more this weekend.
EDC, Inc... Crane Trainee
Team Rosalie ~ Every Rose has its Thorn
"We can find some other way to pick a fight with this Demetri."~ Emmett, NM p. 534
Morgan University
Locard's Theory
CappuGirl

Post by CappuGirl »

OK.. what else was there to reply? I just got back from the store and I've got about three hours to clean the house before my friend comes. So now I'm just zipping coffee and relaxin' a bit. Maybe then I get lucky and get atleast one of the boys for a nap. Some peace and quiet; a small possibility that the house is actually gonna stay clean for more than an hour after I'm done. :lol:
"Just a friendly reminder, shave your crotch, January 20th is the last day for Bush."
Oh...! *laughs uncontrolably with water in her eyes and falls off the chair*

Kim, sorry about your job. I hope you'll find something else... Damn economy...

Can'tBreath; My mom's in FB too. Creeps me out because I know she's only there because she want's to see all our relative's profiles... I have a piece on my flair board that says "my mom is a FB creeper" or something like that! xD

I haven't read HP either.. :roll: I didn't kow it's mandatory.. I keep planning I'll read it but I've lost my concentration on reading books. I much rather read Lex. :D And my head is buzzing with my own writing ideas..

LOL You girls are hilarious with that Tracker-team / enemy tracker team- stuff! *chuckles* I hope you're really just kidding.. Sorry if I'm buzzkill with this thing.. I tend to loose my sense of humor on some things..

Eddie; I just read your post on page 91 and I'm sorry if my previous reply sounded like I was happy that your ex seems to want back together with you. Didn't mean it like that, and now even less. Sounds like she gives you anxioty attacks. :shock: You poor thing. *hugsie* And I for one would say that you really seem a nice guy. And I'm sorry to tell you but I'm guessing you have five more years to be the underdog when it comes to girls your age. Most girls don't seriously concider nice guys as serious boyfriend-material until they start to close in 30... But I can assure you, it isn't easy for nice girls either. Guys just take what they want by pretending to be nice guys and then run away when they feel like the nice girl is too clingy... *whistles*
jasmine
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by jasmine »

My brain isnt working properly today so i cant really reply to ppl, ill just rant.

Argh argh and argh.,...today a part of my bdb order came, guess which part? The insiders guide. *groans* Now i have to wait till at least 28th of january..maybe even more. *grmbl* stupid ppl..

About my eye, the spot was there this morning, but it seems to fade a littl now. So i guess i really read to much fanfic. *sigh* but im not gonna stop, i cant. Wish they had some diff coliour background, that would make a lot of difference.

My collegue at work asked me if i wanted her to work for me tomorrow, so sweet. I wasnt feeling well(havent been since sunday), so i took the offer. I think ive got a flu or something, but it just doesnt get a really good grip on me or something.

Tonight(for dinner and after) we are going to my beloveds nephew for his bday. He turned ten today, and i just bought him his presents. Hes into pokemon but hes already got everything, so it was hard to decide what i would buy. Hes also into drawing, monsters mostly. He looks up to my beloved, who can draw dragons in a few seconds, so i wanted to do something with that. I bought him a really good sketchbook(special paper), diff types of pencils, and different books on drawing. One big one about fantasyworlds and everything in it (incl monsters and such), one about drawing in perspective(is that the right way to say it in english?), one about the human body, and one about mythical creatures. I hope he likes it. I think ill put a personal message in the sketchbook and make my beloved draw a dragon underneath it before we leave. :)

Lisette and cappu: happy bday girls, may you have many more beautifull years in the future and ofcourse a brilliant day today.

The Gen Y Rocks My Twilight Socks

Follow me @ http://gosh-makeup.blogspot.com/
PaulinhaBrasil

Post by PaulinhaBrasil »

Happy Birthday!!!
Cappu and Lisette!!!!
OktoSink wrote:As far as iPods go... it goes with me EVERYWHERE. Sometimes I'll be walking around campus with my headphones in and... this is kinda embarrassing... I'll pretend like I'm in a movie and my life is being put to music. :oops: I'm such a dork, but I love it! I just turn on a song that fits my mood and walk around like I'm important. There's my inner crazy for you....
OktoSink – I do that too!!! LOL... and I usualy sing along... *ugh* *blushing different shades of red and purple*
Hope you get better, I more frequently than I would like, also fall victim of my big eyes. Especially when peanuts are involved. Damn those little delicious bastards!
And about the age, we all know the age of our soul, and I bet there isn’t a single person here under with a soul under 18 of even 35 like Bella…
Cymbrelynn wrote:Paulinha, it's okay to call it tracking since its just a Twilight related joke...well, I mean...okay. It's crazy. But I like it!
As said in D&D, when casting a laughing spell you can never know the result, for laugh doesn’t translate well. :lol: :lol: :lol: It was a poor, and failed attempt of humor. ;)
That job wasn’t worthy of you girl. Now you have freedom to find what you like! I know what you mean about the crying. It’s like, this what I want so why am I sad?? Been there, it’s the weirdest thing! Best of luck in finding a new job!

Jasmine – I feel for you! *sends calming vibrations*

oh, and my books are here... yay... :roll:
♀Sisterhood of the Traveling Book ♀
♥A proud part of the Gen Y Lexily!♥
CiaoBella
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by CiaoBella »

Welcome Ashie! (That text your mom sent you is HILARIOUS, by the way)

CantBreathe- I LOVE Pineapple Express! I saw it in theatres and bought it during the first week it was out on DVD, and it was on sale so I got it for a little less (I love you, Target). I love movies, and I especially love comedies such as Pineapple Express, Superbad, Knocked Up, Forgetting Sarah Marshall, etc. And I always get told that I like “guy movies,” but I love lots of different types of movies, and I wouldn’t really classify those kinds as “guy movies”, I’d more classify them as being hilarious and awesome. And I must admit, in addition to Mr. Robert Pattinson, and Brandon Boyd, I have a crush on Michael Cera too! He IS a cute dork and he’s so freakin funny. I just want to hang out with him. You should check out Nick and Nora’s Infinite Playlist! I thought it was funny and cute, and is a good choice if you’re feeling like a light-hearted feel-good flick. And high five for being a Cancer! :D

Paulinha- Thanks so much for the offer, that’d seriously be awesome about the astrological map thing! I just have to talk to my mom to find out some of the details I’m not quite sure about, and then I’ll definitely get back to you :)

Ninna- So sorry to hear about D, I really hope that whatever happens, things work out for the best in the long-run. It’s always difficult when times are tough, but I always like to tell myself that everything happens for a reason – whether or not it seems like it now, why things are happening the way they are might end up making more sense later. Hang in there, and we'll be here for you to offer what encouragement and support we can!

Oktosink- I laughed out loud when you talked about listening to your ipod around campus, feeling like your life was being put to music. I used to do the same thing when I was in college! (I may have just made it seem like that was a long time ago, but no, I just graduated in May of ’08 so it hasn’t even been a year yet). But oh my goodness, I used to find a song on my ipod that fit my mood, crank it up, and practically walk to the beat of the song feeling a little smug and important – and feeling kind of like my very own soundtrack was playing. I’m so glad to know I’m not the only one! And on Incubus: very happy to have found another fan on here. I just love Brandon’s voice (and his looks, but that’s another story…) I love that you had your first insight to what “Incubus” means while reading BD, that’s fairly awesome. I learned what it meant in a way-less comfortable way, haha. I was in a typing class back in high school and feeling bored on the computer, so I made this Incubus banner and my teacher came up behind me and she was like “Incubus?! Do you know what that means??” and I was like “umm… it’s the name of one of my favorite bands?” And then she explained to me that it was the name of a mythological demon that comes after women in their sleep and well, “sleeps with them” to put it nicely. And I was like “Oh. Um, thank you, dear teacher, for that in depth explanation… and for officially making me feel really awkward.” :lol: And to me, it totally doesn’t matter that you’re 19 – I think that you’re pretty awesome (I think you all are!), and I’m glad you’re here. :D

Kim- Aw, I’m so sorry to hear about you getting laid off. I can definitely understand that even with knowing it was coming, it still being hard to hear/go-through, and I’d put money on it that I would have cried too. I hope you get your Starbucks pick-me-up, and I hope something good comes from one of the jobs you applied for! I’ll be keeping my fingers crossed for you, too.

Eddie- From that link you posted: "There are definitely many girls who grow out of that train of thought and realize they should be dating the nice guys, not taking them for granted. The tricky part is finding those girls, and even trickier, finding the ones that are single." That’s so true, there ARE girls like that out there! As for the girls who tend to “use” their nice guy friends and take their kindness and generosity totally for granted – but wouldn’t ever date them, I can personally say that I don’t get it. I *do* want a nice guy – not a jerk who is going to make me so upset that I have to go cry about it to my nice guy friend. I’ve dated a jerk before, and after we broke up I ended up dating the nice guy pal I had who used to be there for me. (That was back in high school – I know better than to give a jerk the time of day now). But keep your head up and know (even though it might take some waiting) that there are definitely nice girls out there who do want a nice guy, and will be so happy to have one.

CappuGirl- Haha, I know, it WAS crazy for my friend to go swimming in January! I stared at him with my mouth wide-open in shock when he said he was going to do it, but if he wanted to be an insane person and freeze his @$$ off, I wasn’t gonna stop him (laugh at him: sure, stop him: no). And I seriously had to stifle an “awwwwww!” when I read the story about how your little ones like giving you kisses and follow the example of their dad. Especially the little poo-pup! It’s so cute that he won’t take no for an answer when it comes to giving you a smooch on the lips, and he’s learning at an early age that determination pays off! Stories like that make it sound like dealing with the poo-paintings (*chuckles*) is all worth it in the end, because when your little ones aren’t making messes, it sounds like they can be really sweet. If I have little boys who take to poo’ing and then trying to make art out of it, I’ll hopefully have sweet stories like the one you told to help me keep my sanity. Hope your tummy feels better!

Jasmine- I hope your eye gets better soon! (If it’s not already, that is). One of my roommates has pink-eye right now (she has a job where she’s around toddlers and little ones all day) so I’m like “I love you, roommate, but stay back and don’t touch my stuff!” Haha, I’m only kidding about that last part… mostly… ;)

Oh and I almost forgot...

Happy Birthday to Cappu and Lisette! :D
Team Edward: because I'd love to be his stupid lamb.
I left my heart on the Gen Y thread... <3 my Lexily!
PaulinhaBrasil

Post by PaulinhaBrasil »

EddieC – Here are my two cents. The text you linked describes exactly how nice guys usually are, giving or taking a few traits. I see one thing as a problem. The text show how they can be considered martyrs. Doing everything for the other person and not doing anything for themselves. And it goes beyond that.

“she dragged you to a party where you knew nobody, the beer was awful, and she flirted shamelessly with you, justifying each fit of reckless teasing by announcing to everyone: “oh, but we’re just friends!” And even though you were invited purely as a symbolic warm body for her ego, you went anyways. Because you’re nice like that.”

This is not because the guy is nice like that. This clearly uncomfortable situation seems to express something beyond the plain martyr stuff.

“This is the part where I might offend you so please take it as it is, an opinion and not a definition of you. When my opinion is asked I'm usually a bit too impartial.” :)

Note: There are girl who are just as jerks as guys, using and abusing these kind of situations. I'm scrutinizing here the behavior of “the nice guy” and not placing blame on either man or woman.

This behavior is connected with a person unconscious need of being superior. Superior in “here look, I'm not like the jerks” kind of way. And this goes a long way. It’s may be simple method of putting down other guys, even the ones who may be nice but won’t ever subject themselves to a situation like that.

It’s a subliminal form of control the “nice guy” cultivates by being to a girl, all that she's supposed to like.

By doing the listening and giving and never asking anything in return, a person is selfless. But here we see that the “nice guy” does ask for something back. This is the problem. Differentiating selflessness and this kind of behavior.

When a guy does these things, he in a way, is cultivating an emotional debt for the girl to pay. And rarely the girl will pay. A guy seldom understands how girl – girl friendship works. And when the guy assumes that role, he has to understand that all the talking, bashing, fishing for compliments and stuff are things we do for with each other it’s an even trade.

When the guy is a girl substitute, he is in a worse position cos he stands as a representation of the “male species” and he’ll be not only a “girl-friend” but an entirely different point of view who also may be flirted with, because in the end he is a man.

The key here, is: Nobody likes a doormat. They are never noticed. The nice guy only finishes first when he takes action.

I can give you a TV example. Do you remember Gilmore Girls? Luke was absolutely in love with Lorelei and he was a “girl-friend” to her. He only was able to get her to see him as a man and as a romantic option after he decides to take control of the situation.

Well, I guess this was almost a dollar. To motivate you I can say: You have a wonderful base. You’re kind, thoughtful, caring and responsible. Now, you have to take confidence in those wonderful and rare combined abilities and add initiative.
*hugs*
Paula

*I dinn't PM cos I'd like to know what you guys think of this* :)
♀Sisterhood of the Traveling Book ♀
♥A proud part of the Gen Y Lexily!♥