For XY Discussion Only!!

Bear
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Re: For XY Discussion Only!!

Post by Bear »

Why did you guys read the book? Did you lose a bet? Kidding of course, but yes, your reasons!
One of the better Twilight fanvids I've seen thus far!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKxQDumVMnA

TEAM MIKE!
SenorGimp
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by SenorGimp »

My ex (or maybe we're kind of back together? she hasn't been completely clear about that with me, but she used to obsess about edward while talking to me on the phone, and it would piss me off, so she told me i had to read it, so i could understand what the big deal was...
So I did, and fell in love with it, although some of the characters' choices did upset me at times...

(23/307)
lol
Last edited by SenorGimp on Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We Love Mumford And Sons!
1 of 2 Active Members of Team Gimp
Proud Member of the Gen Y Lexily
http://www.fanfiction.net/~senorgimp
AshleyC
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by AshleyC »

Watched Twilight in the Cinema, immedietely went out and bought the series.
Male, England. : )

Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profi ... 1&ref=name

Feel Free To Add Meee : )
Onin
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by Onin »

My brother suggested it, and on the long flight back from Seattle I got bored. I picked up the copy I had, read through it and finished the series as soon as possible. My ex also suggested it, but I ever got around to it before we broke up...
I'd love to have some feedback on my poems and rants. Check the blog on http://www.myspace.com/akaitachi if you have the time! I want some advice and critique, don't worry about offending me.
SenorGimp
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by SenorGimp »

Although I just attempted to steer the conversation away from this subject in a different thread, I'm curious what you guys think?

Who do you prefer?
Edward or Jacob?
You could interpret that as meaning who's better for Bella, who is more justified in their actions throughout the series, or just which of the two you prefer as a person... What do you think?
I'll leave my answer for later, because I love responding to what others write and then basing my responses off of that...
I know, I'm sort of fickle in my opinions...
lol
AshleyC
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by AshleyC »

Edward. Just see more of myself in him : ) + I much prefer his approach to things involving Bella, and romance is a good thing.
Male, England. : )

Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profi ... 1&ref=name

Feel Free To Add Meee : )
Bear
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by Bear »

Personally, I think that when we're discussing this whole issue of Edward v. Jacob, as you pointed out, it will depend entirely on what you are trying to argue. Like you mentioned, it can be interpreted as:

A) Who is better for Bella?
B) Who is more justified in their actions throughout the series?
and C) Who do you prefer regardless of what's written in the books?

In short, these are my answers:

A) Edward
B) Jacob and Edward
C) Jacob

... and these are my reasonings!

A) It is undoubtedly clear that Edward is the right one for Bella. I don't even think there's a point arguing Jacob's case. From the get-go, in an almost Romeo-&-Juliet-esque fashion, Edward and Bella fall for each other. Hard. If Jacob had the slightest chance, it would have been mentioned on the first meeting between them, when Bella arrived in Forks. Moreover, New Moon is absolutely littered with Jacob being close but never enough for Bella. Jacob would suffice but he never would be able to fill Edward's shoes... which is weird, 'cause you'd think Jacob would have bigger feet. lol, I digress. In short, as much as I like Jacob the character, there is no denying that gooshy, lovey-dovey connection between Edward and Bella.

I mean, when I was reading those parts where they were talking about how much they love each other, that connection, and even more so, how much his 'liquid gold' eyes or his Adonis-like, granite chest made her weak in the knees.... I think I had to put down the book to check how my masculinity is doing.

B) You can make a topic about this. This is like an essay topic.

C) Hands down, Jacob. I think people fail to see how realistic Jacob is as a character, aside from his ... well, shapeshifting, space heater abilities. Like a good friend of mine pointed out, it is probably his realism and therefore, more pronounced flaws, that make other readers turn the other cheek. Yes, he is not mature and yes, he is not very sensitive... but he is fresh out of puberty with hormones being pumped at dangerous levels. Not to mention the fact that he's dealing with an unrequited love and sexy, sweet-smelling vampires. That's enough to give most people cardiac arrest - good thing he's a werewolf. lol

Jokes aside though, I like Jacob because I could relate easier with him. I understand how Edward makes the girls swoon, and you know, he's not too shabby of a guy too. I mean, I read this series to see how this vampiric fictional character is doing this. I just think that he's a bit too perfect, and therefore a bit too unrealistic... and therefore, very hard to relate to. Jacob just has that human factor in him that, aside from the most obvious reasons, Edward lacks.

PS. It may be also because if I tried watching someone sleep and using "you fascinate me" as a reason, I will most likely get a shot in the babymaker and a restraining order instead of a glomp followed by a snog.

Wow, I'm glad I got some of that out of my chest. WHAT ARE YOUR OPINIONS?
One of the better Twilight fanvids I've seen thus far!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKxQDumVMnA

TEAM MIKE!
gamb1t
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by gamb1t »

Bear wrote:Why did you guys read the book? Did you lose a bet? Kidding of course, but yes, your reasons!
The saga is my girlfriend's favorite series, and my mother and sister love the books as well. Therefore, I had to see what all the excitement was about. So, I read Twilight in a few hours, then went on to read the next 3 books very very quickly. I'm not usually much for romance books, but I think it's how down to Earth SM writes the saga. I mean, granted, we are talking about werewolves and vampires; however, all of the characters, whether immortal or not, display very common human emotions. Anyway, I won't blab on about why I like the books, I just love them lol.
ImageImageImageImage
Onin
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by Onin »

Edward. For any argument, I'd have to say Edward. Was Jacob justified? Yes, but so was Edward, and I'm not going to argue who was "more".

Besides that, I identify with Edward, just some of the things obviously- I'm not super charismatic, or good looking. Its more his chivalrous side, the loving side. He acts how I feel we should act, how I try to act. I've left for the better, because I loved my ex enough to want her to be happy with my friend. I've fought for an ex too, and it all depends on the situation and your better judgment. There is something higher than just pleasure of an action, everything has a ramification long-term and short. Everything should be balanced, good and bad, pleasure and selflessness, action and reaction. If one is rash, acts too quickly without reason, without cause, and without thought more times than not the action leads to a worse situation than before, and you can't dig everyone out. However a moral triage doesn't exist, bad is bad- I'd spend forever helping someone out, I didn't mean to sound like I didn't. I know I'm no Edward though, I'm no Superman, and I'm only human.

Edward has priority in Bella- Happiness for him comes from her happiness. Her safety matters more than his desires. His sense of balance is in her, he acts in ways that would hurt him to see her happy and safe. That is why I like Edward, he is what I want to emulate.

Maybe it pushed me away from Jacob to see Edward as great before hand, but when he kissed Bella (even as a misinterpretation) it bothered me so. Do I like him? Yes, and I've been compared to him at times too (social commentary time, how is it we've gone from wanting to be friends with the other gender to wanting to have a Jacob as I've heard? Haha, Twilight). I like him most for allying with the Cullens, for fighting for what is right, for standing up against his Alpha and going against his 'social' norms, and I like how he set things right in his round about way.

I just like Edward more.
I'd love to have some feedback on my poems and rants. Check the blog on http://www.myspace.com/akaitachi if you have the time! I want some advice and critique, don't worry about offending me.
SenorGimp
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by SenorGimp »

Excellent post, and excellent points onin.
I guess now it's my turn?

All right:
Despite my seeming to champion Jacob's cause in many of the other threads (which is mainly, well partially due to his abysmal lack of defenders/advocates), I do, I'll admit, prefer Edward.
He has one of the most enticing personalities I've ever read, and his actions and words and the fact that he (usually) backs up what he says, well that is something I greatly admire in him.
I'd definitely say he's a better fit for Bella, because he has to offer her what Jacob doesn't: All the love he's been unknowingly storying inside for the better part of a century!
While Jacob doubtless cares for Bella very much, and may even love her, there's just really no comparison between the two when it comes to which is a better match for Bella: Edward, hands down!
As far as how justified they are in their actions throughout the series, I'd have to differentiate from my previous statement by saying that I believe Jacob was far more thoughtful and justified in his actions, at least throughout New Moon and Eclipse.
I might feel differently about this since, let's face it, both Edward and Jacob act like little kids trying to win the affections of an girl in a higher class (like they're sophomores and she's a senior, head cheerleader even), but the deciding factor for me is this: Edward has had about 90 more years to gather wisdom and fine-tune his 'act', so his immaturity and overzealous actions seem glaringly more out of place than Jacob's, a hormonal young man who's just beginning to feel the urges of his age...
So yes, they both make mistakes, but Edward of all people should have behaved in a much more civilized manner, rather than treating his love's best friend like the offensive nickname he's given him: Dog.
But, on the third part of the question, as I've stated above, I absolutely love Edward as a person, because, aside from his unreasonable jealousy regarding bella, and the obsessive behavior he results to in order to placate his irrational jealousy, he's really an outstanding example of manhood, and I aspire to reach his level of wisdom and composure...
I love both of them a lot, but if I had to choose, I guess, for the most part, I would prefer Edward..
= )...