Gutter Guys & Gals-- Vampires Behaving Badly: The Discussion

nissanmama
Officially Bitten!

Re: Gutter Guys & Gals-- Vampires Behaving Badly: The Discussion

Post by nissanmama »

I haven't seen it yet. Can't get anyone to slow down enough to go with me. I also really want to see Julie & Julia. It doesn't open until August 7th though. I'm deep cleaning MG's room today...and likely tomorrow. It's proving to be, well, really dirty and dusty. Bleck.

Oh! Jacob fans need to check out the front page of the blog today. Jacob video, Jacob interview...a picture of the scene where Bella almost kisses Jacob in the truck! (SO totally excited to see the infamous dog snog in EC!)
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/p ... directlink
40-something and feeling a little like Mrs. Cope.
Banner by Fry
fanMNM
Veggie-Vampire

Post by fanMNM »

I'm hoping my husband will be up to seeing HP Friday night after he flies back in from his business trip...I live in a small enough town that the movie theater is really hardly ever busy, even when brand new movies come out! :) It's going to make going to the 1st showing of New Moon in Nov. a lot less stressful for me! :D

nissanmama- I loved that picture of Bella and Jacob in the truck on the blog! Even though I've always been Team Edward...I have to admit that Taylor makes Jake awfully steamy :)

Addicted-I enjoyed your story about Kellan as well! Your friend is a better wife than I am cause I would have taken the picture with Kellan nose to nose and told my husband he'd have to deal!! LOL :lol:

Thank you Naureen!!
somethingblue
The Godmother

Post by somethingblue »

Addicted wrote: I was thrilled to meet Alphie & Pel, but then when I said my thread name & somethingblue said hers well, thought I was gonna die I was so happy.
I was just ecstatic that I FINUALLY met someone from the Lex threads, especially since I hadn't been expecting it....
Addicted - it was SO great to meet you! Too bad we didn't have time to chit chat about Twilight and the Brothers while we were there, but it was really cool that someone would know who I was when I told you my screename! HAHA! Ok, I LOVE that picture with Kellan, that is so adorable! And isn't his humor so great? A well-read, intelligent, hot, articulate, hot, funny, hot, did I say hot? young man who 'loves cougars' - woot! :twisted:

Thanks for coming up to us and talking to us! Creation puts on a great con, let me tell you!
BlueStarlight
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by BlueStarlight »

Hubby and I went to see HP last night. It's 2 1/2 hours long, and worth every minute of your time! There's a lot of teen angst, and they stayed pretty true to the book.

Today is my 1-year Twilight anniversary, meaning I found the books one year ago today! Wow, time has surely flown! I bought Twilight to read on the plane ride to visit my brother. I'm not a reader, and I thought this would be enough...so wrong! I finished Tw in just a couple of sittings, and then I had to buy NM and Ec while on vacation! LOL It's been a great ride on here, and I've "met" (not physically) some very nice people!
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

So glad you found the books! It wouldn't be the same here without you!

We took the whole family to see HP today. Everyone loved it! (We didn't need that paycheck anyway) :lol:
It is wonderfully done and I was also impress with how closely they stayed to the book. I think it flowed even better than the book - shame on me.
Lots of teen angst, as you said, but also a lot of solidarity and truth in it.
Not too scary for older kids either, so that was nice.
LadyDi
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by LadyDi »

Many of you have probably already heard this, either on Stephenie's website or elsewhere ... they are coming out with a Twilight graphic novel. A parent was wondering on this site ...

http://www.examiner.com/x-13198-Twiligh ... -read-less

whether this will mean that kids will read less (my short answer to this is NO - it means new audiences will get to experience Twilight, and die-hard fans will have something new to debate, just like the movie introduced new people to the books and caused great conversations to occur). I also commented that it will be a challenge for the illustrator to "match my mental list of characters"
This banner is designed by the one-of-a-kind talent known on the Lex as Fry. Thanks!
bac
Mesmerized by her own Dr. Cullen

Post by bac »

Thanks for sharing that Di. I hadn't heard that yet. Here's my opinion.

Last month I checked out "Rapunzel's Revenge" from the library. It is a graphic novel by Shannon Hale. I had never read a graphic novel and didn't know what to expect. While I was reading it, my 8 year old daughter kept peering over my shoulder. She asked if she could read it too. So she "borrowed" it and read the whole thing by herself. She loved the story, the characters and the illustrations. I think if I had been reading the same story without the "graphic" part, she would not have been interested. However, it caught her attention and got her to read the story and enjoy it. She is not a very big reader and I was thrilled to see her captivated by a book.
So, will she be reading Twilight in graphic novel form, NO. However, my point is that it will draw people in to reading that might not have read it otherwise. What is the harm in that? I don't see any.

Ditto to Di, I hope the illustrations are fabulous and in some way capture some of my mental vision of the characters and story that are pretty impossible on film.
by Laniyeah on photobucket
LadyDi
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by LadyDi »

bac, if your girl liked Rapunzel's Revenge (I have that title at work), she may like Alison Dare, The Courageous Princess ... even Babymouse or Fashion Kitty (which make reference to Moby Vulgar Language Is Ugly and other classics!). There are some great graphic novels out there - whether or not Twilight will translate well to this form depends on the talent of the artist. I'm still waiting for my copy of the first Dark Hunter manga to come out (and THAT one I won't be sharing with my little ones, pantpant!)
This banner is designed by the one-of-a-kind talent known on the Lex as Fry. Thanks!
oleander
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by oleander »

Addicted, your story was great!! The photo is awesome. Kellan seems like such a down-to-earth guy. Mm...would love to get a hug from him. :)

HP was great...there were a couple of things from the book I had hoped to see, but still, I loved it. I need to go see it again because it was so late that my brain was starting to fuzz things together. I'm not as young as I used to be and staying up that late doesn't really ensure that I retained very much. ;)
nissanmama
Officially Bitten!

Post by nissanmama »

I STILL HAVE NOT SEEN HP!! Not that I'm upset about it or anything... :evil:

I started reading Queen of Babble by Meg Cabbot on the recommendation of a friend. A younger friend. Argh! I want to poke my eyes out. I forgot this is the author of the Princess Diaries. So far the main character is so incredibly shallow and dippy that I'm have a very difficult time caring about her. Frankly, I like the people that surround her much better. I haven't decided if I'll finish it yet or not. Usually I like YA books, but I'm not sure this is a YA book or not. I suppose it is as much as HON are YA books. I should be reading my bookclub book. I should be painting my son's room. Should, Should, Should...if I did everything I should I'd be at the gym right now and my laundry would be caught up!

I finally got around to reading the short story from DH that's Dante & Pandora (were-panthers). PM me and I'll send you the link if you want to check it out.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/p ... directlink
40-something and feeling a little like Mrs. Cope.
Banner by Fry